Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

2019 AMA election voter turnout :(

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

2019 AMA election voter turnout :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 01:29 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 2019 AMA election voter turnout :(

While I'm not complaining about who won and who lost the AMA election (Rich Hanson won with around 6K votes) , I AM complaining about how few people actually voted ! I just got the AMA email about the election results and when I totaled up the votes for all of the candidates for AMA president it looked like a bit over 12K votes , , , only 12K members out of the shady side of 200K members voted ????
Old 11-21-2019, 02:14 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, 6% (give or take) is about the normal turnout. Pretty apathetic bunch. It is my opinion that voter turnout at these elections is a very clear indicator that the vast majority of AMA members join because they, “have to” to fly at their local facility, and/or they join solely for the insurance.

Regards,

Astro
Old 11-21-2019, 05:24 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I too am very disappointed in the voter turn out and results. I will continue to renew my membership due to the fact that it is required in order to attend events. I have lost some faith in the AMA to represent us, as such I have begun talks with the Oregon State Senator to have him bring concerns about the FAA regulations to congress and FAA. At this point in the talks we are working on scheduling a demonstration at one of our flying sites.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:05 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I too am very disappointed in the voter turn out and results. I will continue to renew my membership due to the fact that it is required in order to attend events. I have lost some faith in the AMA to represent us, as such I have begun talks with the Oregon State Senator to have him bring concerns about the FAA regulations to congress and FAA. At this point in the talks we are working on scheduling a demonstration at one of our flying sites.
So, there's hope for you after all
I hope your efforts have a positive impact and that the senator is actually going to try to do something for model aviation rather than just go through the motions. Please keep us posted on what's happening
Old 11-25-2019, 10:57 AM
Stickslammer

I have not heard from the AMA since I got the October MA issue. The last of only 5 received this year. Sorry, but I guess I`m guilty of said apathy for not calling them to find out if someone`s stealing my AMA mail. The last time I voted was after getting a ballot in the mail with a renewal notice.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:04 AM
Stickslammer

Didn`t mean to kill the thread!
Old 11-30-2019, 02:10 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

i wouldn't worry about it.

this whole site is is in it's death throes already anyway.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:29 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

If they weren’t acting like it was 1989 and requiring people to pay for the postage and actually filling out paper ballots, maybe more people would vote.

for an organization that is ultimately making poor choices about how they spend money things (paper, envelopes, ink, etc), for an election that really doesnt involve anything of dire consequences for any member, there is no reason an online voting system couldnt/shouldnt be implemented and used. You’d probly see a much better voter turnout if it was just as simple as clicking a link, putting in your AMA # and making your selections.

I actually filled out my ballot and realized i forgot to put it in the mailbox after the election results were published.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:42 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Postage paid.

Check a box, stick it in the mailbox.

I agree a secure portal wouldn't be a bad idea but that opens up another whole can of worms
Old 12-02-2019, 11:44 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Postage paid.

Check a box, stick it in the mailbox.

I agree a secure portal wouldn't be a bad idea but that opens up another whole can of worms

it does, but something like Survey monkey could easily be used to avoid the can of worms.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:51 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I"m glad I didn't lose D5 by one vote! Assuming you voted for me of course