Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Can't get the flap system working on my DX8

Old 01-30-2015, 08:14 PM
Mooney
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get the flap system working on my DX8

Every time I set up flaps on my DX8 I have problems. Somehow I get the flaps working, but I can't get the flap system working. The manual really doesn't spell out the procedure very well. If I set the wing type to normal, the flaps work but I can't get into the flap system programing. If I set the wing type to 1 aileron 1 flap I can get into the flap system, but the flaps only move a very small amount. I'm using Y harnesses on the ailerons and flaps. If anyone has the step by step procedure I would appreciate your help.
Thanks in advance
Old 01-31-2015, 01:16 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd suggest that you reset the selected model to default as a starting point. Then get rid of the Y cables. The DX-8 is fairly straight forward to setup in normal, two aileron and two flap servos. you don't even need a receiver and so forth, since the servo monitor function allows you to see what happens. If push comes to shove, it's possible to obtain a setup file from another DX-8 user, and using the memory card, transfer it to a model memory.
Flaps can be interesting to set up. The factory default setting is 50% or center. Depending on linkage, flap usage, etc. this can result in 50% flap down. Once everything is working, rebind with the flaps retracted.
Obviously, a switch must be associated with the flaps, and activated. The spectrum setup library may have a setup close to what you need.
My DX-8's are in my shed, and it's too late and dark to go out there and pull a memory card. BUT, I have a copy of a setup for a DH Beaver with flaps, etc. I'll attach.
I guarantee nothing, naturally!
Attached Files
File Type: spm
05DVBEAV.SPM (9.2 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by chuckk2; 01-31-2015 at 01:28 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:05 PM
Aerocal

I see you have been around awhile. You dont say what model or kind of model. Did you do the mechanical setup?
With a default 1ail-1flap wing setting in the radio on an Acro model and you Bind the plane and Connect where do the Flaps go?
I mean what position are the Flaps with 0/zero/center in Flap System? The Flaps should mechanically pretty much be half at this point.
+value in Flap System should bring them to up from center and -value should push them towards fully down.Right?
It is better if practical to hook each servo on its own channel if you have enough Rx channels for it. It should work the way you have it
but dedicated channels for each servo is always best. Sometimes some servos just dont like to play nice when you pair them on a Y.
What Rx and servos are you using?

Most problems come from not mechanically centering the flap surfaces themselves in the middle of their range with the servos centered(Flap System 0)
Old 02-08-2015, 02:38 PM
Len Todd

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

For mechanical setting of the flaps, I dial in 1500 ms on the servo programmer, connect the flap servo to the programmer and then set the servo arm as close to centered as possible and the linkage so the flap surface is at or very near 1/2 flap. Then, when I connect the servo to the receiver, I know the flap is going to be centered at the middle position of a 3 position flap switch. Or if I use a 2 position switch, I am still O.K. with flaps full up or full down. Once connected to the receiver, I may use a little off-set in the transmitter to get the arm "perfectly" centered. Then I recheck the linkage to ensure the correct 1/2 flap setting. Every plane has a bit different recommended flap deflection settings. So one has to calculate and measure the 1/2 flap position when setting the arm and linkage.

If I get the linkage set so it is 1/2 flap at 1500 ms then I know I am good to go for full up and full down positions. If you set the linkage for half-flap with the Servo mistakenly at 900 or 2100 ms then you will not get full flap travel and it will be binding in one direction. I have seen where folks then limit the servo travel to avoid the binding. But they end up severely limiting their flap travel because they are only using 1/2 of the servo's travel. I use the servo programmer because I can see the setting (simulated Rxer Output).

I first get the arm centered when the servo is centered and then set the flap at 1/2 deflection. Then I just adjust the servo travel to get it up fully and down to the recommended full flap.

I have planes with Ys and planes w/o Ys on the flaps. For the flaps it is easy to just set the linkage and be done with it so a Y works O.K. for me. For Aile and Elev surfaces, then I go with the separate channels. If you got the channels use them. It makes life easier in the long run.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:23 PM
AndyKunz

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Correction: Use 1520 instead of 1500, unless you are using an AR636 in which case 1500 is correct.

Andy
Old 02-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Len Todd

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=AndyKunz;11979890]Correction: Use 1520 instead of 1500, unless you are using an AR636 in which case 1500 is correct./QUOTE]

That probably explains why I always end up putting in a little offset when I connect to the receiver. Thanks Andy! You learn somethin' new every day!
Old 02-09-2015, 06:40 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 1500 vs 1520 bit is interesting!
Depending on the exact servo, the mechanical center can vary a bit. Next, to get the servo arm at 90 degrees, or as close as possible, the one notch up or down
can make a difference. Finally, due to the way the servo mounts, it can be necessary to use something other than the 90 degree setting for center.
Obviously, next comes the TX and RX. Since Spectrum RX's have a default out of the box fail safe setting, I'd assume that setting must be 1520 for all channels except throttle.
I'd think that the TX, when a model is reset, would revert to factory defaults, plus or minus a calibration factor.
I also use a servo tester with a digital readout for setup. My habit in setting up Flaps does involve initially setting the flaps for half deflection when the servo is "centered".
It can get a bit complicated setting up the flaps up position, in order to avoid stalling the servo against the stops. The TX servo travel settings are useful in preventing such things.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:42 PM
AndyKunz

That "default out of the box fail safe setting" is NOT guaranteed. It's the position of the sticks when the lady at the factory binds it to the transmitter in her hands.

Andy
Old 04-20-2019, 09:42 PM
INVERTEDFOOL

Default Problem with flap set up on a dx8

I am not new to the hobby but have never tried to set up flaps before . I have a savage cruiser that needs to have the flaps to work. If you could go step by step in words i can relate to i,m sure i can work it out. Much thanks.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:30 AM
AndyKunz

1) Select a Wing Type that has Flaps. "Normal" does not, though the Flap switch will control AUX1 by default, fooling people into thinking they have flaps.
2) From the Function List select Flap System.
3) Set up the deflections you want for both elevator and flap, set the delay.

Go fly!

Andy
Old 04-23-2019, 08:15 PM
INVERTEDFOOL

Andy will try let you know what happens thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!