Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

What do you like more? A glider with or without a motor?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

What do you like more? A glider with or without a motor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 07:56 AM
Laggger164

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile What do you like more? A glider with or without a motor?

I am just building a glider from a very old kit and it is turning out quite well.

However I don't know if I should put a small motor on it or just a tow hook.

What do you guys like more?

Also, I wanted to laminate it with paper, make it a bit retro, but my father thinks it would look better with a film instead.
It's not like this is going to be a world record breaking glider, so I am more about the looks, but I feel like a film would be unnecessarily heavy.

What's your opinion on this?

Thank you!
Old 08-20-2019, 11:00 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Depends on what you're after.

I like the simplicity of taking a glider out, throwing a battery in and going flying.

I also like the pure sailplanes and do some high start flying and aerotowing. Both have their charms.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:55 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I did some slope soaring once in San Pedro California off the cliffs over the ocean. Got some great lift but scared the crap out of me. Give me a motor so I can control my altitude with ease.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:46 AM
Laggger164

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I did some slope soaring once in San Pedro California off the cliffs over the ocean. Got some great lift but scared the crap out of me. Give me a motor so I can control my altitude with ease.
Alright, I guess I shall just put the motor on it, in case I get in trouble.

Thanks for the input!
Old 08-24-2019, 05:25 AM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Where I live now (flat as far as the eye can see) with a motor. Where I used to live (mountains, cliffs, and hills in every direction) without a motor.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:01 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I can't imagine not having both. For club events I love string launch. For just going out to have fun without the hassle of setting up a winch or hi start then electric is the bomb. Get a CAM module so that the motor will automatically shut off at 150 meters and then soar from there. A motor ESC and battery setup is about the same cost of a quality hi start and way less expensive then a winch.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:46 PM
glideher

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the extreme joy of flight comes when you learn to dance with mother nature, who needs power when you have wind, who needs power when you have lift
The following 2 users liked this post by glideher:
PITTSFLYER-RCU (12-29-2021), sukhoidave (04-23-2020)
Old 12-04-2019, 08:20 AM
Laggger164

Now that is an awesome answer!
Thank you
The following users liked this post:
sukhoidave (04-23-2020)
Old 12-30-2019, 06:20 PM
prizebull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions on what motor esc and battery top use on a 2M planes?
Old 03-09-2020, 05:04 AM
Mark426

Electric powered for launching is all I use these days. Winching or hi-starts are not field friendly at any clubs I belong too. I think its that way at 90% of most places. As a plus, electric powered does not seem to hinder performance, its a quick and easy way to get to altitude.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:19 AM
sukhoidave

I don't call it a glider or sailplane - if it has a prop/motor it's a powered plane. I also don't like spoilers on my gliders. Pure gliding/soaring. Hand/DLG is purest of all.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:25 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Regardless of how it gets launched, if it spends most of its time searching for lift. It's a sailplane.
The following 2 users liked this post by speedracerntrixie:
A470Soaring (09-07-2020), Rudix (11-05-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 04:51 PM
cfoxtrot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Regardless of how it gets launched, if it spends most of its time searching for lift. It's a sailplane.
Well said!
Old 06-25-2020, 05:36 PM
cfoxtrot

Actually I just recently converted my old Carl Goldberg Gentile Lady to electric. Been years since I have flow any RC fixed wings so this was a good way to get back the feel. Plus I am not near any great areas for hand launch thermal flying.

No regrets...
Old 06-30-2020, 11:09 AM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I developed an interest in gliders from an old parkzone spitfire which I still have. I put a lipo in it which made it lighter and so I would climb high with it and let it soar around with the motor off until I needed it again to climb back up to altitude. I have since purchased a Great Planes Spectra which I plan to start building soon and a Sig Ninja which I want to motorize. I told the seller to keep the brushed motor from the Spectra as I plan on using a brushless/lipo setup. My goal is to build light so I can enjoy better soaring.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:54 AM
A470Soaring

I fly slope soarers without a motor, and I have thermal soarers with motors, mostly because I don't have available fields nearby big enough to lay out a long Hi Start, so a motor is much easier. I also fly these occassionally from the slope when there is marginal slope lift to get me out of trouble and prevent landing out.
I think this idea that a glider with a motor or spoilers isn't a "proper" glider is rubbish! Even full size gliders have spoilers for landing and there are a few now built with electric motors in the nose with a folding prop, and I'm sure these will become more popular in future.
The following users liked this post:
Rudix (11-05-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 12:08 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Exactly.

Bob