Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Introducing the TopRC Model Hawker Hunter - New Scale Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Introducing the TopRC Model Hawker Hunter - New Scale Jet

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 10:41 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Fox 1
http://youtu.be/NhKsVYyVfUU

Cheers!
Desert Fox 1
what is your CG on the Hawker Hunter?
Old 02-24-2019, 11:47 PM
vquick
My Feedback: (71)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by i3dm
what is your CG on the Hawker Hunter?
Cg is 290mm
Old 04-10-2019, 06:38 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

So, I finally got a chance to do the maiden on my Hunter... so I thought. Engine running well and the range test went well. Taxi runs were straight with very little trim. The only thing I was really worried about was that the brakes felt weak in the shop. Well, anything above fast walking speed took 200 ft. to stop!! Our runway has a crown and the brakes couldn't slow the jet down just from rolling down the crown. The brakes are engaging but are virtually non-existent. They wouldn't stop a foamy! So no maiden as my runway is only 630 ft.

I tried to examine the brake disks but am not having luck getting the gear apart. The set screw and "E" clip are off and nothing is moving?? I can only move the axle with a C clamp, like it's Locktighted in. Anyone else having brake problems with the TopRC gear? I'm using a small 2 cell lipo. I'm not sure the controller could take a 3 cell Lipo or even a 3 cell LiFe.

Also the struts are super stiff. I put finger dents in the wing just trying to compress the struts and they didn't move.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:45 AM
i3dm

TopRC controllers dont do well on 3S. stick to 2S.
as far as brake force i only found that if you clean the hubs from residual oil, they will brake well.

i forgot to update this thread but im getting ready to fly as well soon.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:49 AM
i3dm

front tray installations
Old 04-11-2019, 12:50 AM
i3dm

My turbine of choice is the new Jetcentral Lynx 130.
small, lightweight and powerful!
Old 04-11-2019, 12:51 AM
i3dm

I opted to hold the nose cone on with bolts
Old 04-11-2019, 12:53 AM
i3dm

Fuel system complete with FCT UAT and FCT fittings - absolutely the best!
Old 04-11-2019, 12:54 AM
i3dm

TopRC pilot is sitting in the cockpit. a tad bit tall but i can live with that.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:54 AM
i3dm

Such a beautiful bird on her own feet!
Old 04-11-2019, 05:56 AM
causeitflies

Lior, I'm thinking residual oil on the pads as well as I found some while taking the wheel apart. But I can't get to the hubs as nothing will move. Any idea on how to remove the wheel? I May spray some brake cleaner in there.
I see you used screws for the nose cone. I used magnets to hold mine.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:42 PM
i3dm

battery packs installed in nose landing gear bay in order to shift weight forward

Old 04-12-2019, 07:47 PM
causeitflies

So after much squeezing tapping and prying, I finally got the wheels apart. There was some oil on the disk and cleaning that helped a little. The biggest problem is that there isn't much braking surface.
Going out again tomorrow and if the brakes don't slow it down this time I'll just order a separate brake controller so I can give it more power.

Last edited by causeitflies; 04-12-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:07 AM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by causeitflies

So after much squeezing tapping and prying, I finally got the wheels apart. There was some oil on the disk and cleaning that helped a little. The biggest problem is that there isn't much braking surface.
Going out again tomorrow and if the brakes don't slow it down this time I'll just order a separate brake controller so I can give it more power.
This is one reason I am hesitant to order this jet. I ordered my T1 with electric gear and brakes (JP) and the brakes really just sucked. I don't want to have to spend 700 dollars on gear and then have to spend another 200 on a better brake controller, why doesn't the company take this in consideration and fix the problem.

Patrick
Old 04-13-2019, 10:43 AM
i3dm

Originally Posted by sirrom
This is one reason I am hesitant to order this jet. I ordered my T1 with electric gear and brakes (JP) and the brakes really just sucked. I don't want to have to spend 700 dollars on gear and then have to spend another 200 on a better brake controller, why doesn't the company take this in consideration and fix the problem.

Patrick
you can always get one of my brake controllers for 59$

My hunter flew 2 awesome flights

today!pics attached.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:17 PM
causeitflies

Congrats!!
I got one flight on mine today. The brakes were better but will not be good for an emergency stop.
Overall just needed a few clicks of trim. Most of the flight was at half throttle. I was getting a lot of dutch roll and wiggle probably because the big nose door was down the entire flight. I have sensors on the gear that only let the doors close if all three gear are completely up. I did this to keep from burning out a door servo if the gear hangs up even though it probably would just trip a poly fuse in my CB200. It is very sensitive right now so I'll have to adjust that. Didn't get a chance to flip it over and really check the CG as I was cycling the gear most of the flight trying to get the doors up. So it was only about five minutes of flight time. Landing was a non event with full flaps and and some throttle to the end of the runway.
The suspension is VERY stiff and doesn't give at all, luckily I didn't need it to give much. Hopefully it will loosen up.
Besides the few little bugs the plane is really nice overall and a good value. It won't win any scale contests but is a great sport scale model with nice detail. I will add a little bit of weathering later.
In a few days the weather will be good again and will start tweaking it. Looking forward to opening it up and getting into some scale aerobatics.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:29 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Congratulations Mark!
Old 04-13-2019, 10:01 PM
i3dm

Starting to weatjer mine using the Pablo technique.
nice and easy to do.. and reversible!
some pics of the process attached.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:09 AM
causeitflies

What are you using for the weathering?
Old 04-14-2019, 08:07 AM
i3dm

What are you using for the weathering?
im using the Pablo method.
https://youtu.be/xv7-bf2Ptdw

Old 04-23-2019, 09:20 PM
causeitflies

Monday was a beautiful day and I got two flights on the Hunter. Got the doors working fairly well but I think I burned out the nose door servo When it is down there is no load on the servo (arm straight out) but if the gear doesn't make it all the way up there will be a load on it. I cheated my sensors to get some flights with the doors closed.

I removed some weight from the nose and may move the CG back a little more but overall it flies on rails. Roll rate is a little excessive at about two per second so I'll reduce it a little. I don't have them on dual rates but will reduce them some in "Landing" mode. A few more flights and it will be dialed in as much as I want.
The K160 is a good fit for this plane. Most of the time I was at half throttle and half throttle was required with full flaps in the landing pattern. My timer was set for five minutes and after two or three more laps I set up for landing. No wheelies on landing as I had to get on the brakes right away . Fuel remaining was measured at 45% of the 4400ml. My telemetry read 50% and after a little tweak should be dead on the next flight. We'll see how the fuel burn fares with more aggressive flying For now it's in the shop for some weathering.

A buddy got some footage of both flights and combined the two. Forgive him as he gets carried away with the editing.

Last edited by causeitflies; 04-23-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:33 PM
i3dm

Monday was a beautiful day and I got two flights on the Hunter. Got the doors working fairly well but I think I burned out the nose door servo When it is down there is no load on the servo (arm straight out) but if the gear doesn't make it all the way up there will be a load on it. I cheated my sensors to get some flights with the doors closed.

I removed some weight from the nose and may move the CG back a little more but overall it flies on rails. Roll rate is a little excessive at about two per second so I'll reduce it a little. I don't have them on dual rates but will reduce them some in "Landing" mode. A few more flights and it will be dialed in as much as I want.
The K160 is a good fit for this plane. Most of the time I was at half throttle and half throttle was required with full flaps in the landing pattern. My timer was set for five minutes and after two or three more laps I set up for landing. Fuel remaining was measured at 45% of the 4400ml. My telemetry read 50% and after a little tweak should be dead on the next flight. We'll see how the fuel burn fares with more aggressive flying For now it's in the shop for some weathering.

A buddy got some footage of both flights and combined the two. Forgive him as he gets carried away with the editing.
https://youtu.be/o8GqQq5KCoo
https://youtu.be/e7IuhJjELvM

great job - it looks awesome in the air!
are you using stock gear and brakes?
Old 04-23-2019, 09:44 PM
causeitflies

Yes, stock, but still may go for a separate brake controller. If I come in any faster it will be off the end of the runway. There wasn't much wind to help either. I forgot to try out the speed brake, maybe next flight.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:47 AM
i3dm

Yes, stock, but still may go for a separate brake controller. If I come in any faster it will be off the end of the runway. There wasn't much wind to help either. I forgot to try out the speed brake, maybe next flight.
i found 2s lipo directly will brake just as the TopRC controller would on a 2S, meaning its not limiting brake power.
i will test 3s and see if it brakes better, if thats the case i developed my own brake controller with ABS feature

Last edited by i3dm; 04-24-2019 at 03:49 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:37 AM
Gary Szetlak
My Feedback: (13)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice Mark! Congratulations looks great, nice landings. Looking forward to seeing it in person.
Gary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.