Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Introducing the TopRC Model Hawker Hunter - New Scale Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Introducing the TopRC Model Hawker Hunter - New Scale Jet

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 12:01 PM
ECalderon

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am balancing with gear down, wing tanks on and half main tank (as David suggested in a previos post)

Regards
Old 10-15-2020, 01:12 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 736 Likes on 532 Posts

I’m due to fly Roland’s Hunter again this Saturday. I’ll try to remember to get some figures once I finish adjustments

Old 10-15-2020, 06:38 PM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
I’m due to fly Roland’s Hunter again this Saturday. I’ll try to remember to get some figures once I finish adjustments
Good luck with the flight!
Old 10-15-2020, 08:13 PM
vquick
My Feedback: (71)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Cg on this plane is 290 to 300mm with gear down and empty tank full uat
Old 10-15-2020, 10:04 PM
Pull Up Now!

Originally Posted by vquick
The Cg on this plane is 290 to 300mm with gear down and empty tank full uat
Like we've been asking, from 290 from WHERE? The manual has two different starting points.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:29 AM
Pull Up Now!

I fueled the jet about 3/4 full, enough to start filling the top tank, with diesel fuel yesterday afternoon. I let the jet sit a couple hours to see if anything leaked, which it did not. Time for the real show, a test run and static thrust test. It all went well, ear plugs in and tolerant neighbors. I ran it almost dry and went full throttle a few times. The pull is enormous, a steady 37 lbs. I tied a rope to the plane, and a post lamp, and put in a couple small loops to attach a digital fish scale. That's where the thrust readings came from. I had to do it quick because you can't breath back there...the fumes are overwhelming. It also blew my cap across the yard.

The next project is to build a Vanessa Swing to balance it, and weigh the model. I'll show a picture of that later today if I get that far.

Old 10-16-2020, 06:58 AM
jetmon

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Pull up now
I balanced mine from the wing root, I think the drawing in thee last pages is wrong,
290 for the first flight is ok, but still a little nose heavy for my taste
Old 10-16-2020, 09:42 AM
Dave Wilshere

It’s a poorly thought out design where it’s impossible to get a good balance since the fuel is in front of the balance. The balance goes back as the fuel burns, so make it safe to land and just deal with the nose heavy flight, like most scale jets it flies fine while nose heavy
Old 10-16-2020, 01:43 PM
Pull Up Now!

Originally Posted by jetmon
Hello Pull up now
I balanced mine from the wing root, I think the drawing in thee last pages is wrong,
290 for the first flight is ok, but still a little nose heavy for my taste
Juan, did you do the 290 mm tanks dry? If not, how much fuel?

thanks,
Rick
Old 10-16-2020, 01:57 PM
Pull Up Now!

Here's some pics of the Vanessa Swing I came up with. It worked really well. Perfect setup for a large model. This was balance with approx half fuel load.

Old 10-17-2020, 06:11 AM
Dave Wilshere

Didn’t get the chance to do a root measurement, but with landing ( after flight) fuel I picked it up with two fingers wrapped under the LE 2” out from the saw tooth.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:24 AM
Pull Up Now!

Didn’t get the chance to do a root measurement, but with landing ( after flight) fuel I picked it up with two fingers wrapped under the LE 2” out from the saw tooth.
Glad the flight was successful. So, it balanced 2" outboard of the extended leading edge on landing fuel. Good information. But can you summarize the trim on takeoff, and then on landing? Did it land too much nose high? Was the landing with full flaps? Was the landing with the air brake deployed? Thanks!
Old 10-17-2020, 10:51 AM
Dave Wilshere

I have around 5 flights total with this aeroplane. It is nose heavy at take off, needs some up trim at this point, as the fuel burns the elevator goes back to level for the last minute/landing.
The gear is poor, as supplied the oleos were packed with heavy grease, so little compression. We removed some of this grease to allow compression. The flight today with a gentle landing on grass bent the lower leg machined part. Previous flights the nose leg came apart, the sleeve at the base of the top section came off. It’s all soft alloy and grass operations is probably not a good place.
Alway take off with some flap-around 20mm. Landing full flap I don’t have a figure, but 75 degrees or so.

The aeroplane flies really well, but the gear needs work to be reliable.

Dave
Old 10-17-2020, 11:37 AM
Pull Up Now!

I have around 5 flights total with this aeroplane. It is nose heavy at take off, needs some up trim at this point, as the fuel burns the elevator goes back to level for the last minute/landing.
The gear is poor, as supplied the oleos were packed with heavy grease, so little compression. We removed some of this grease to allow compression. The flight today with a gentle landing on grass bent the lower leg machined part. Previous flights the nose leg came apart, the sleeve at the base of the top section came off. It’s all soft alloy and grass operations is probably not a good place.
Alway take off with some flap-around 20mm. Landing full flap I don’t have a figure, but 75 degrees or so.

The aeroplane flies really well, but the gear needs work to be reliable.

Dave
Great summary Dave, thanks. I know I ask a lot of questions, but the details count. My plane is balanced right around the same place you mentioned (2" outboard of the sawtooth), but that's with half fuel. That might be too nose heavy according to your flights. Did you land with the air brake down also? Did the change trim drastically when either/or the flaps and airbrake went down?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 10-17-2020, 12:38 PM
Dave Wilshere

Rick

There are never too many questions! Balancing the way you have will be better as his is probably nose heavy overall. You will not get into trouble with so much fuel forward, you will feel the balance as the fuel burns and chose your ideal position. Not used the AB, but flap or AB on a Hunter has little or no pitch change. If you fly on tarmac the AB will hit the ground.

Dave
Old 10-25-2020, 07:00 AM
ECalderon

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys.

Maiden done. Balance as mentioned in my previous post is very good starting point. at beginning of flight slightly nose heavy but after few minutes its ok. Flies very well with a 120 turbine, very agile and good scale vertical performance.
David is right about softness of landing gear, for some reason turbine flamed out in final and landed short of runway on rough grass and lower leg part of struts bent. part of reason is probably stifness of the struts springs.

Regards
Eduardo
Old 10-25-2020, 07:20 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Pull Up Now!
I fueled the jet about 3/4 full, enough to start filling the top tank, with diesel fuel yesterday afternoon. I let the jet sit a couple hours to see if anything leaked, which it did not. Time for the real show, a test run and static thrust test. It all went well, ear plugs in and tolerant neighbors. I ran it almost dry and went full throttle a few times. The pull is enormous, a steady 37 lbs. I tied a rope to the plane, and a post lamp, and put in a couple small loops to attach a digital fish scale. That's where the thrust readings came from. I had to do it quick because you can't breath back there...the fumes are overwhelming. It also blew my cap across the yard.

The next project is to build a Vanessa Swing to balance it, and weigh the model. I'll show a picture of that later today if I get that far.

very nice. you may wana give one of my RDT's a try for that futaba
Old 10-25-2020, 01:50 PM
Pull Up Now!

Originally Posted by i3dm
very nice. you may wana give one of my RDT's a try for that futaba
I assume you're talking about a thermistor sensor? Why would I want to try that?
Old 10-25-2020, 01:56 PM
i3dm

I assume you're talking about a thermistor sensor? Why would I want to try that?
RDT is a turbine sensor to provide full engine data / safety alerts via your transmitter
Old 10-26-2020, 09:00 AM
Pull Up Now!

Originally Posted by i3dm
RDT is a turbine sensor to provide full engine data / safety alerts via your transmitter
So what can engine telemetry tell you that provides early warning before it all shuts down and leaves you dead stick? Seems like flameouts are rather sudden events.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:11 AM
i3dm

So what can engine telemetry tell you that provides early warning before it all shuts down and leaves you dead stick? Seems like flameouts are rather sudden events.
low rpm
low fuel
low battery
​​​​​high egt

etc etc...
Old 10-26-2020, 03:52 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

If flying at events or in other high noise situations, immediately realizing there is a flameout can save your plane. Telemetry can alert you right away.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:33 PM
i3dm

Originally Posted by causeitflies
If flying at events or in other high noise situations, immediately realizing there is a flameout can save your plane. Telemetry can alert you right away.
very true. it has saved jets here for the exact same reason.
Old 01-09-2022, 01:36 AM
Marguet28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear All,
I'm finishing my Hunter. I notice that the train is not really of good quality. The brakes are really not very powerful. Concerning the legs, to land and take off from the grass have you made any modifications? I was already thinking of replacing the mechanisms by Electron but for the legs it's more complicated (I am in discussion with them to see what is possible..) .... Have you been able to make them reliable?
Old 01-09-2022, 05:32 AM
Dave Wilshere

The legs are the main issue on grass. They are made from really low quantity soft aluminium. They need the heavy grease removing and lighter grease adding to allow some compression.
Since the factory has the files for machining it would make sense they up their game…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.