Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Introducing the TopRC Model Hawker Hunter - New Scale Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Introducing the TopRC Model Hawker Hunter - New Scale Jet

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 12:22 PM
Marguet28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
The legs/struts are the main issue on grass. They are made from really low quantity soft aluminium. They need the heavy grease removing and lighter grease adding to allow some compression.
Since the factory has the files for machining it would make sense they up their game…
When you said the leg are maide from bad quality alu and can not resist to grass, you speek mainly about the rear? I am working with electron to find the good retract (EV 40 should be top) and also to see if they are able to produce the rear legs with wheels and breaks. The front leg/strut is really scale and if I look, it should be ok as soon as I will change the turillon and use the EV40 from electron

Are you still flying your plane with the original gear?
Thank you very much for you feed back and help
Old 01-09-2022, 11:57 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 736 Likes on 532 Posts

Mainly the rear. But the nose too failed (came apart at pivot) our grass is good and the Ripmax Hunters we fly from the same site have no issues.
The mechanics have been OK, it is the legs only that are super soft. The aeroplane is not mine, it belongs to a club friend. It’s still flying with modified legs, but still every flying session some maintenance is needed.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:26 AM
Edhamp

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am currently building one of these jets. There have been several revisions of the U/C since this model came out a few years ago. mostly I think to the electronics (better controllers) and motor (square casing on latest versions). I dont know if the material quality of legs have been improved. Mine look fairly well made, as good as others I have seen from China and the motors work well (I m using an Electron controller on mine without issues) allthough not as nice as Electrons. Only thing which would not help on grass and poor landings is that the springs supplied in main oleos were rock hard and with no give and little damping. I ve replaced mine and added some damping oil from BVM so they should work better, Time will tell.

On a couple fo other aspects of this model, we know the fuel tank is well forward of the CG. These days, smaller engines do not need so much room and in mine I am using Xicoy X120, I did away with all the inlet ducting so the tank can go back several cms (still in front of the cg but nowhere near as bad). Still plenty of space for air flow and perhaps even some useful drag when flying! Also I felt the large tank would be sufficient for my flying needs so unless you want the second tank for smoke/10 minutes plus flying then leave it out and save weight. My model balances with 0 weight added up front (main batteries foward, bubble trap full, landing fuel in tank). Final weight TBA but since some people have flown this model with an 80N I should be OK! Overall very impressed with this jet, excellent build quality for price (all airex rear is very light, under £2k with retracts, tank, tube etc etc) and unlike some more expensive models I have bought, things like the UC doors are well made and actually fit with no mods! I am pleased that Dave reports that it flies well overall and look forward to flying mine later this year,

Old 01-12-2022, 07:29 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 736 Likes on 532 Posts

We have never had an issue with the retract units (I don’t remember what shape the drive is.) The legs look very well made…but they are really soft. Particularly the lower leg which can bend turning too fast while taxiing.!

Old 01-12-2022, 01:33 PM
ECalderon

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,
I have one that is flying with a 140 turbine, more than enough power. The plane flies great, no bad habits at all, very solid. The landing gear legas are indeed soft, anything harder than a greased landing will bend the lower main gear legs.I fly from paved runway, from grass I imagine you could have some problems if it is not smooth. In one of my landing I landed before the runway (flameout), and lower legs were bent beyond repair. Had to order replacement. Had to change the main gear springs to get some damping, from the factory there was nothing at all.
Over all I am happy with the plane, it flies great, it looks beautiful in the air and customer service is acceptable

Regards
Eduardo
Old 03-06-2022, 07:57 PM
WI53072

All,

What servo's are you using for your builds?

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2022, 11:36 AM
ECalderon

Hi , I used everywhere the Savox 1256-TG. No issues at all

Regards
Eduardo
Old 10-15-2022, 12:06 AM
Marguet28

Dear All, my Hunter is mostly ready, I am wondering what are the travel for elev,ail and flap. Do you have a compensation on elev for the flaps? Do you use the airbrake? Thank you guys
Old 10-15-2022, 01:04 PM
Edhamp

Originally Posted by Marguet28
Dear All, my Hunter is mostly ready, I am wondering what are the travel for elev,ail and flap. Do you have a compensation on elev for the flaps? Do you use the airbrake? Thank you guys

I used the settings in the manual as a starting point. Worked well for me. No elevator compensation needed when you deploy flaps with gear down and throttled back but some people may prefer a little down for the approach. Full flaps are effective at slowing model, so watch the power, You don't need the airbrake except for show . I do not reccomend landing with full airbrake if you want to avoid scraping your model. This is nice flying model. You will not be dissapointed Mine is very scale with a xicoy x120 but I ve not had a chance to fly with the wing tanks yet.
Old 10-15-2022, 01:57 PM
Marguet28

Originally Posted by Edhamp

I used the settings in the manual as a starting point. Worked well for me. No elevator compensation needed when you deploy flaps with gear down and throttled back but some people may prefer a little down for the approach. Full flaps are effective at slowing model, so watch the power, You don't need the airbrake except for show . I do not reccomend landing with full airbrake if you want to avoid scraping your model. This is nice flying model. You will not be dissapointed Mine is very scale with a xicoy x120 but I ve not had a chance to fly with the wing tanks yet.
thank you for allfinfo.i use a 140 xbl. I modified the ear flr electron. Ill use the recommended travels, thank you
Old 10-15-2022, 04:02 PM
ECalderon

Hi

Factory settings are fine, maybe a little less aileron because full aileron rolls very fast. With low power and full flaps it drops fast so reduce power when you are certain you have made the runway.
Try to land it smooth, because if you land hard you will bend the LG struts.
Factory CG es very nose heavy. Use the CG mentioned in this thread. I started with 90 mm in front of main wheel axle, which is a good starting point
The plane is rock solid and flies very well and it is predictable. I love it, so much that I bought a bigger one (Feibao)

Regards
Eduardo
Old 10-16-2022, 08:53 AM
Marguet28

I build the hunter with only one tank, the biggest, however I can not remember what is the capacity. I just mesure the small one at 1.5l. But I don't know what is for the other. Need that for my timer for my jetmunt 140xbl...
Old 10-16-2022, 09:26 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I build the hunter with only one tank, the biggest, however I can not remember what is the capacity. I just mesure the small one at 1.5l. But I don't know what is for the other. Need that for my timer for my jetmunt 140xbl...
3.0l I believe.
Old 10-16-2022, 12:20 PM
Edhamp

thank you for allfinfo.i use a 140 xbl. I modified the ear flr electron. Ill use the recommended travels, thank you
Yes I decided to only use the large tank with the X120 (see earlier photos). Saves weight!.

Can you show some photos of the Electron conversion? Any information about what size struts.wheels used etc would be useful. Thanks

Ed

Last edited by Edhamp; 10-16-2022 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-16-2022, 12:34 PM
Marguet28

Old 04-30-2023, 02:44 AM
BOLTMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Marguet,
Where did you get or how did you make the angled pin to connect the leg to the retract unit?
Did you use Electron for the nose unit & leg?
Thanks!

Old 04-30-2023, 05:01 AM
Marguet28

I ask a mechanic with lath to do the pin at 10 degrees (don't bend as you will have a poor cean angle). I cut the gear at 10 degrees too. For the front, I used the original but it is also crap, I will switch for electron or other good brands , should not be an issue for the front. Only point is how to attach the doors to the leg...but sure we will find a solution
Old 04-30-2023, 07:51 AM
BOLTMAN
My Feedback: (1)

I ask a mechanic with lath to do the pin at 10 degrees (don't bend as you will have a poor cean angle). I cut the gear at 10 degrees too. For the front, I used the original but it is also crap, I will switch for electron or other good brands , should not be an issue for the front. Only point is how to attach the doors to the leg...but sure we will find a solution
Thanks!
I think the Electrons will be worth the effort. I just want strong & reliable.
Cheers!
Old 08-09-2023, 05:39 AM
hussein66

Can this plane be converted to edf? What size fan and engine would be good? Thanks