Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 10:04 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Flameout alarm

Hi
anyone has done a flameout alarm in the Core?
Either with VSpeak, Digitech CTU ir any other hardware?
since the Core don’t have telemetry controls (Jeti speak) yet, no sure if the current alarm software in it will be enough
thanks.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:36 AM
dvcam99

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez
Hi
anyone has done a flameout alarm in the Core?
Either with VSpeak, Digitech CTU ir any other hardware?
since the Core don’t have telemetry controls (Jeti speak) yet, no sure if the current alarm software in it will be enough
thanks.
Hello Edgar,

under the following you can see in the video the CORE flameout warning with one of our ECU data converters.

It´s a no brainer.

BR
Dirk

CB Elektronics
Old 11-19-2019, 09:36 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

On my DX-20 I can use the little 2 position trimmer buttons to trim the nose wheel steering on the fly. It's handy, you don't have to pull up sub-trim to do taxi tests.

I was setting up my CORE on a small Harlock turbine Viper and was thinking how to accomplish this since they don't have that two way switch on the Core (or so I thought). The easy answer is the rotary knob but I don't want it getting changed by bumping or using it on another model and having to re-trim each time.

After a bit of tinkering this is what I discovered:

In the SERVO menu I added a servo (7 in this case) and labeled it Nose Steering. I left the throw at the default for now.
In the FUNCTION menu I set the control to ST-B.
Now the cool part, and the reason for this post.
Select Trim
Select Control
Click the momentary button to the upper left of the throttle stick. (Or the momentary button next to the power switch, either will work)
That enables both opposing buttons for trimming the nose wheel steering!
I set the trim step to 1% for the finest control possible.

Voila! I can now set nose steering without playing with menus during taxi tests. I didn't realize those buttons could be setup as a left/right pair. Nice job Power Box!!

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 11-19-2019 at 09:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
flyalan (01-28-2024)
Old 11-19-2019, 09:55 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks Cuda!
Old 11-19-2019, 10:23 AM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
On my DX-20 I can use the little 2 position trimmer buttons to trim the nose wheel steering on the fly. It's handy, you don't have to pull up sub-trim to do taxi tests.

I was setting up my CORE on a small Harlock turbine Viper and was thinking how to accomplish this since they don't have that two way switch on the Core (or so I thought). The easy answer is the rotary knob but I don't want it getting changed by bumping or using it on another model and having to re-trim each time.

After a bit of tinkering this is what I discovered:

In the SERVO menu I added a servo (7 in this case) and labeled it Nose Steering. I left the throw at the default for now.
In the FUNCTION menu I set the control to ST-B.
Now the cool part, and the reason for this post.
Select Trim
Select Control
Click the momentary button to the upper left of the throttle stick. (Or the momentary button next to the power switch, either will work)
That enables both opposing buttons for trimming the nose wheel steering!
I set the trim step to 1% for the finest control possible.

Voila! I can now set nose steering without playing with menus during taxi tests. I didn't realize those buttons could be setup as a left/right pair. Nice job Power Box!!
Or, you could just reassign your rudder trim to NWS trim. I have never used the rudder trim on a jet.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:34 AM
BarracudaHockey

Yea Bob but I prefer to be able to trim my surfaces, old school thinking I suppose but there you are.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:47 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

I’ve flown loads of jets that need trimming in yaw! Normally it’s the tailpipe install, but there are other factors too.
i don’t ever have nose wheel trimming either, I tend to set it to run straight from new and any change means something slipped or is wearing out!
Old 11-19-2019, 11:53 AM
BarracudaHockey

The transit/laser in my eyeball wore out so for at least one test it almost always needs trimming
Old 11-19-2019, 01:37 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

A separate nose wheel trim is essential and it would be nice if PB could have given us a central rotary pot like we have on the Futaba 18MZ. This pot is not affected by switching models.

JanR
Old 11-21-2019, 06:16 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
A separate nose wheel trim is essential and it would be nice if PB could have given us a central rotary pot like we have on the Futaba 18MZ. This pot is not affected by switching models.

JanR
I disagree, a trim function for nosewheel steering is not ESSENTIAL l, have never used it on any jet. That said, the Core offers plenty of opportunity to do an initial setup of NS tracking using an assigned trim, lever or side pushbuttons, then set the value of offset into the function assigned for the NS and then leave it. Job done.

If you need constant adjustment then you have a more fundamental problem.

Rudder trim CAN be very useful for any jet showing slight roll out of trim which is different inverted or upright. After checking weight balance, a small RUDDER adjustment can often effect a cure.

Even Boeing recommends using (upright!) a small amount of rudder to correct slight roll trims to centralise the control wheel. As well as avoiding spoiler uplift it , apparently, is more efficient, or so they told me !
Old 11-21-2019, 07:25 AM
BarracudaHockey

I had no idea nose wheel trim could be controversial
Old 11-21-2019, 07:54 AM
David Gladwin

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I had no idea nose wheel trim could be controversial
Its not !!!!!
But we are discussing the capabilty of the Core, which I am using and poster is probably not !

Last edited by David Gladwin; 11-21-2019 at 10:32 AM.
husafreak (03-05-2020)
Old 11-21-2019, 02:50 PM
RC_MAN

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I for one use the nose wheel trim on my Futaba 18MZ. With some of the runways sloping in different directions I find it very useful to be able to trim before take off.
miksterr (04-27-2020)
Old 11-21-2019, 03:43 PM
Dave Wilshere

It amazes me you guys never get a cross wind or even 180 swing during a flight. We get all of that here, rudder stick works great rather than constant trimming.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:19 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
I disagree, a trim function for nosewheel steering is not ESSENTIAL l, have never used it on any jet. That said, the Core offers plenty of opportunity to do an initial setup of NS tracking using an assigned trim, lever or side pushbuttons, then set the value of offset into the function assigned for the NS and then leave it. Job done.

If you need constant adjustment then you have a more fundamental problem.

Rudder trim CAN be very useful for any jet showing slight roll out of trim which is different inverted or upright. After checking weight balance, a small RUDDER adjustment can often effect a cure.

Even Boeing recommends using (upright!) a small amount of rudder to correct slight roll trims to centralise the control wheel. As well as avoiding spoiler uplift it , apparently, is more efficient, or so they told me !
Please feel free to disagree, I really don't care. But for me it is and a central pot would be nice on the Core.

JanR
miksterr (04-27-2020)
Old 11-28-2019, 11:39 AM
David Gladwin

Default Telemetry

The isat gyro and pressure sensors are now available for use with the Core and the pressure sensor with other radios.

The tiny gyro is incredibly capable for a unit of any size, let alone one so small, in fact tiny.

The pressure sensor works at upto 16 bar, 240 psi, and can be used to trigger an alarm when pressure falls to a preset value, or, in fact, to initiate gear extension !

Very nice units indeed.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:13 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
and can be used to trigger an alarm when pressure falls to a preset value, or, in fact, to initiate gear extension !
I though we needed a software update to trigger an action/control based on alarms. Is that not the case?
Old 11-29-2019, 12:04 AM
David Gladwin

Default Co

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez

I though we needed a software update to trigger an action/control based on alarms. Is that not the case?
Not tried it yet, but Richard says it is possible. If its not possible now it will be soon.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:59 PM
Reever45
My Feedback: (16)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Question, can you enable a mix you created with a virtual switch you have created? I created a virtual switch and was trying to make the control on the mix the virtual switch, but i'm not seeing an option to pick a virtual switch?

Thanks
Old 12-17-2019, 09:13 AM
Dave Wilshere

The latest update for the Competition SRS and Cockpit SRS is available with immediate effect.

This update enables all telemetry data to be transmitted to the PowerBox CORE transmitter. However, a particular highlight is the new algorithm for switching receivers: It allows the iGyro SAT to be used with the receiver (PBR-7S, PBR-9D, PBR-26D) which is connected to RX2. This gives you an absolutely top-class gyro system with very little effort! All aspects of configuring and setting up the iGyro SAT are carried out directly at the transmitter.

latest update just released
Old 12-18-2019, 09:58 PM
vickyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does the powerbox core support Smoothflite ARXL from booma rc?
Old 12-19-2019, 06:39 AM
Afterburners

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by vickyz
I would think you need to ask booma rc if they are going to support the power box protocol. I would think it's low on their priority list as powebox is probably the leader in power distribution in the hobby.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:27 AM
Reever45
My Feedback: (16)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vickyz
For the time being you can set the Core rx's to Sbus and off you go
Old 12-23-2019, 01:24 AM
Dave Wilshere

The incredibly small iGyro SAT has been going out for a little over a week, plugging directly into some of the Rx’s it gives full iGyro options set from the Core Tx.

Old 12-24-2019, 12:32 PM
BarracudaHockey

Powerbox America's is testing the voice update as we speak (pun intended)

Hopefully we should have it soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.