Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dx8 still has problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 05:33 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Dx8 still has problems

Yeh- the reasons for choosing equipment can be - inspired -to say the least.
It is a classic -
The less one knows about something -the more inspired the comments become.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:40 AM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have had my futaba 9c for 5 years all i have had to do is change out the battery pack , my LHS  has tried to sell me spektrum dx8  i just laugh at them  if it aint broke dont fix it  , no matter what you think  Futaba  , and JR  are the top radios  ,  that is just the facts   sorry you enjoy flying with cheap producrts , my engines are DA  50  thru  150  my servos are Hitech digital  all top line equipment , the bottom line when you put 3000  to 5500 dollars in a plane you want reliable equipment that is why i use my Futaba 9c and  9 channel futaba receivers  all converted to 2.4  with futaba   fly what you want but quit whining when you tear up the ground  , remember all planes have expiration dates , some just sooner than others , if you install cheap products the expiration date changes to much shorter than average.    We have had several guys at our field have had problems with dx8  and have lost airplanes  ,    too many for me to even think about changing!!!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:28 AM
rmh

Don't change - you are content with what you have .
Old 06-14-2012, 07:06 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: llindsey1965

i have had my futaba 9c for 5 years all i have had to do is change out the battery pack , my LHS has tried to sell me spektrum dx8 i just laugh at them if it aint broke dont fix it , no matter what you think Futaba , and JR are the top radios , that is just the facts sorry you enjoy flying with cheap producrts , my engines are DA 50 thru 150 my servos are Hitech digital all top line equipment , the bottom line when you put 3000 to 5500 dollars in a plane you want reliable equipment that is why i use my Futaba 9c and 9 channel futaba receivers all converted to 2.4 with futaba fly what you want but quit whining when you tear up the ground , remember all planes have expiration dates , some just sooner than others , if you install cheap products the expiration date changes to much shorter than average. We have had several guys at our field have had problems with dx8 and have lost airplanes , too many for me to even think about changing!!!
I have had Futaba radios since 1978. All on 72Mhz. My first PCM radio was a Conquest 5ch. My first computer radio was a T6XA. I had two. I had the 7AUPS, 8AUPS, and my last Futaba radio was the 9CAP. All were great radios. The 9CAP was of course an 8ch radio with a On/Off switch for the 9th channel (not Proportional). The 9th channel only worked on PCM. I used a Synthesized 72Mhz RF Module. It did not support Flaps on a 3pos switch.

When the JR XP9303 came out, it was a much more versatile radio. It supports 9ch PPM receivers and 9ch PCM receivers. All 9 channels are Proportional. It has Flaps on a 3pos Switch. It has 3 Flight Modes. I used a 72Mhz Synthesized RF Module to dial in the channel I needed to use. I even had a 10ch Synthesized PCM Rx that would sync to whichever channel the Tx was set to.

When Spektrum first offered their 2.4Ghz RF Module, I bought one with a 9ch receiver. It supported 9 Proportional channels. Any 2.4 module in the 9C only supports 8 channels.

I still have two XP9303 radios, on 72Mhz and 2.4. They have worked Flawlessly. I have many DSM2 receivers and I have all but phased out 72Mhz. Most of our 100+ members have JR/Spektrum and have no issues. DX5i, DX6i, DX7, XP9303, X9303 2.4, 9503, 11X, 12X, and DX8. I also have a DX8 and have not had any issues.

I am not knocking Futaba, or any brand in particular. They all offer comparable quality products. The 8FG, 14MZ and 18MZ are great products.

I can fly any Spektrum Bind n Fly with any JR/Spektrum radio from the DX5i to the 12X and DX8. Many of us have Parkzone BnF products and enjoy them.

We just do not have the issues you reference.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:42 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was some brand wars going on in a Futaba against Spektrum/JR sometime back (not exact title). Folks were throwing spears back and forth so I posted that I would take all of the hated Spektrum radios off of their hands, pay the freight to me, and deal with the issues. Not one person took me up on that request as I did not receive one of those faulty Spektrum radios It was discouraging because I would have thought they would have shipped me some Spektrum glitching brownout trash radios.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:10 AM
rmh

In line with "what radio would you buy polls".
Just silly crap -
Those who really don't know W T F is really going on tend to make outlandish comments
Old 06-14-2012, 08:19 AM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

There was some brand wars going on in a Futaba against Spektrum/JR sometime back (not exact title). Folks were throwing spears back and forth so I posted that I would take all of the hated Spektrum radios off of their hands, pay the freight to me, and deal with the issues. Not one person took me up on that request as I did not receive one of those faulty Spektrum radios It was discouraging because I would have thought they would have shipped me some Spektrum glitching brownout trash radios.

Thats hardly surprising or indicative of the quality of the radio's. In this hobby, everybody wants something for their junk. No one gives it away

Old 06-14-2012, 08:29 AM
aerialsports
My Feedback: (130)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with problems still being there on the DX8.. A buddy just lost his plane do to unknown reasons of the plane losing bind.. He has been using all of the same settups in all of his planes without any brown out issues..Lipos in the radio and receiver lipos on regulator set to 6volts so there should not be any problems dropping voltage so low to brown out..The plane was flying level and all the suddon pitched up uncontrollable and then pitched down with full throttle straight into the ground destroying every thing including the engine.. He had problems from day one with the radio sometimes taking forever to bind with the receiver and even had to turn the radio off and back on to bind.. He then called horizon about this issue and they asked if there were any power lines around or any buildings near by and tould him if so this is normal for this to happen...( never had any problems with my Futaba in the same erea binding up)... We also checked the lipos voltage after the plane went down and it was still fully charged..also checked the voltage reg.. still good and checked the switch... still good... So after the loss of a $1100.00 plane he has decided to go back to Futaba and not trust flying any more of his planes to spektrum....
Old 06-14-2012, 08:30 AM
rmh

FWIW- a lipo on a reg is no insurance against power failure
In my book it is not a desireable setup. Why you see this as a DX8 issue is not rational.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:42 AM
TimBle

LOL

Until the radio says to rmh. "I crashed the plane" he will never consider it as being part of the problem.
So until Spliktrum radios makes a radio that can talk, I guess they're safe.

I do feel the folk who lose planes due to this system. But the only way you will gain teaction in your efforts is if document every incident meticulously.
Even then, is it worth it, when there are brands that offer products that don' suffer the same mysterious failings. 
We all have a choice here
Old 06-14-2012, 08:49 AM
rmh

Really?
please name em!
Old 06-14-2012, 08:49 AM
llindsey1965

ok so spektrum dx8 is great  check out these you tube videos of lots and lots of problems

youtube.com/watch?vn4B-brIqa

youtube.com/watch?v=gpf_swTP6Hq&feature=fvwwrel

then let me know what you think about dx8
Old 06-14-2012, 08:50 AM
rmh

If this is how you evaluate equipment - -you have my condolences -
That's kiddie stuff.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:56 AM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: rmh

Really?
please name em!

There you go again, all defensive. I said "Mysterious". everyone else has had a problem, and fixed it and moved on. Someone else seems to be having them continuously even after claiming to have been fixed.

.......see the difference.....?

<didn't think so>

Old 06-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Black Baron
My Feedback: (21)

HH admitted that there were issues with the DX8 and they posted serial numbers on their website for everybody to check if you have one of those "faulty" ones. - I've send mine in, got it back in 2 weeks with an additional 5ch receiver for the inconvenience which I thought was very nice of them - they handled this issue excellent. - I love my DX8 - never had any issues with it. Horizon Hobby customer support is always outstanding!
When you never heard about any issues of other brands, perhaps the reason for that is that not many people are using them - just joking guys...
Old 06-14-2012, 09:44 AM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

gents, watch out for Spektrums new 9020 X Plus receiver. Ive purchased two of these in the past week. One from local shop, the second from Horizon. Both were DOA out of the box.

Horizon tech, reported he's seen these not recognize battery feed ( no light on primary nor on dual sats. ) and sometimes you need to feed battery into a control port to get a simple recognition. Both of my receivers had zero battery recognition in thr and batt ports and would only give a breif blink if i feed the aileron port. I did this per the tech at horizon. Both rx's still failed to activate much less configure a bind mode. None the less even if they did decide to function via a control port feed no way am I going to trust much less continue using Spektrum Rx's. I've already flipped my jets to JR921x rx's with dual sats with zero issues. Linked to my 11x.

I guess there is zero QC and simple product testing prior to the mfg shipping to its distributor. Im just glad it failed to operate on the bench.

be advised
Old 06-14-2012, 09:59 AM
TimBle

cue rmh....
Old 06-14-2012, 10:56 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Actually we have another thread on this forum with a guy talking about the exact same situation - two 9020's that were "DOA."

Turns out he didn't plug the battery in correctly. Once he did that, all was well.

Perhaps this is the same situation? The AR9020 is a little different than most receivers. The neg lead goes to the edge ON BOTH SIDES OF THE RX with the signal leads together at the center.

Can you give that a try? The other guy manned up and posted what he did wrong.

Andy
Old 06-14-2012, 11:28 AM
rmh

Timble - once again you speak before evaluating
Old 06-14-2012, 11:35 AM
stoneenforcer

read my post again. * note the feedback I got from horizon.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:42 AM
stoneenforcer

9020 pins/connectors are the same as every other spektrum rx in my shop. I clearly posted the admitted issue with these, from horizon.

reversing polarity will burn the rx up.

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Actually we have another thread on this forum with a guy talking about the exact same situation - two 9020's that were ''DOA.''

Turns out he didn't plug the battery in correctly. Once he did that, all was well.

Perhaps this is the same situation? The AR9020 is a little different than most receivers. The neg lead goes to the edge ON BOTH SIDES OF THE RX with the signal leads together at the center.

Can you give that a try? The other guy manned up and posted what he did wrong.

Andy
Old 06-14-2012, 11:55 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

rmh no matter what people are saying your coming up with some kind of counter to the issue at hand ..

just maybe something's up with the DX8 wouldn't be the first time spectrum has had issue's I member buying a dx6i that was on the Recall list for bad pot's , and i didn't find out in time and lost a plane....

my point is .. stop going to extream's to find fault's in things that might not be faulty ... i believe the guy has some sort of radio issue ... let it come out instead of cover it up with bull**** .. for a example I HIGHLY DOUT his park zone T-28 could have a brown out...

Old 06-14-2012, 12:08 PM
rmh

Don't see how I could possibly be covering up anything
To the contrary - all parts of the system need examination.
To blame tx and rx when they are the least likely offenders -simply does not make sense to me .
If you evaluate how these operate -you would see why I make that comment.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:19 PM
llindsey1965

everybody knows even HH that there are programs with DX8  RMH you just need to face it , like i said earlier we have had several guys at the field crash planes with brand new DX8 radios and new batteries  they took off flew around and all of a sudden they had no control   this was more than one or two  , most of our guys fly futaba or jr  , so come on face it there is a problem  , all systems have some problems in early development but the DX8 contuines to have problems  ,HH admits there are problems
Old 06-14-2012, 12:32 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

All RC radio manufacturers have had to recall radios for one thing or another. This is nothing new.

These forums are for helping one another find solutions to problems.

Na Na Na, I have Futaba helps no one. Futaba has fine products. Enjoy them if you own them, but why thumb your nose at those who chose other manufacturer's products. It is childish and in poor taste.

I have enjoyed JR/Spectrum products for years and Futaba before that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.