Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dx8 still has problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 05:41 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Dx8 still has problems

I see no problem IF that's IF you place the rx well away from engine /fuel tank and servos .
My favorite setup is to place rx in canopy and long lead/antenna in belly of model.
All away from any component which could block/shadow signals.
I have done this with the tiny park flyer rxs and they work for very long distances

It's all in the setup:
clear signal and plenty of electric power
Old 07-09-2012, 12:47 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats really a bad place to fit the RX. Temperatures under a canopy can exceed the the temperature range of the Rx. Its far safer to fit the Rx in the fuselage and have the antennae protruding into the cockit under the canopy to allow them to have an uninterrupted view of the signal.
I generally have one antennae in the cockpit and one somewhere out the bottom of the fuselage.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:52 AM
rmh

Have never been able to overheat my rxs - perhaps you have more sensitive equip. There were some early rx designs which were very heat sensitive - in that case take care!!!
Old 07-10-2012, 04:14 AM
TimBle

No I don;t have any heat sensitive equipment.

These are solid state electronic devices and by nature they are sensitive to heat - hence we see heatsinks on pc's, sufficient air flow inside control boxes of industrial machines etc.
 excessive heat cycling is the number one cause of dry solder joints. No solid state electric circuit is immune no matter how much marketing spin you throw at it.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:59 AM
rmh

The problems with heat and receivers is no secret
Old 07-10-2012, 05:09 AM
TimBle

then why challenge the statements made in post 127....?
Old 07-10-2012, 05:27 AM
rmh

Challange?
Your comment simply did not consider that many model have rx located in the canopy area -and operate with zero problems
If YOU are foolish enough to build a closed "hotbox" in the canopy area you may have problems but I have not seen or had any issues with the rx located in this area.
Nor do I expect any.
air circulation on some models-in the radio compartment is a good idea -
Check the operating specs on your equipment
Old 07-10-2012, 11:08 AM
TimBle

nearly all my models have the Rx near the canopy area but not under the plastic hood. I prefer to avoid potential problems.
many people drive without seltbelts but the fact that they may not have had an accident does not make the practice a good idea
Old 07-10-2012, 02:16 PM
rmh

Your choice -
Old 07-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: flyman1948

The AR400 receiver is advertised as ''full range''. It it suitable for use with a DX8 in 40 to 90 size glow planes?
Forgot about that new RX. (even bought one two weeks ago and still forgot!) It is indeed a full range RX with the longer antenna of the AR500 and Ar600.

The AR400 appears to be their effort at a low cost RX...our LHS has them for a mere 24.99.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:51 PM
dwheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comment on an earlier post. For anyone who believes that a transmitter cannot cause fades, please rethink! The transmitter is at least 50% of the equation!! I have had perfect performance from my DX8 but not considering it as part of the issue when trying to isolate a radio related issue is naieve at best. Good luck to all! My latest loss was a receiver failed cell. Less than 6 months old. Always charged correctly. Stuff happens. But you can bet I looked at everything to be sure it was that simple, including the transmitter.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:00 AM
rocketbaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX8 problems

I am currently switching from Futaba to Spectrum for the same reason in hopes of finding better reliability. In the last 4 months I lost two beautiful twin engine scale birds to loss of control, one of which was a large scale C-47 with an investment over $2,000.00.
I have been flying RC for 50 years since digital proportional radios came out in the early 1960s and it is very disappointing to see that there is not more improvement in the all brands of radio transmitters and receivers.