Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dx8 still has problems

Old 06-11-2012, 04:36 PM
tncrosby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dx8 still has problems

Be aware, the problems still are there with the DX 8. I got one in March. After seven brown outs and two lost planes I'm cutting my losses. After waiting 2 hours for support HH wants me to send it in, wait 3 weeks and then maybe it will be fixed? Goodbye Spectrum forever. Hello Futaba.
Terry
Old 06-11-2012, 07:38 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dx8 still has problems

ORIGINAL: tncrosby

Be aware, the problems still are there with the DX 8. I got one in March. After seven brown outs and two lost planes I'm cutting my losses. After waiting 2 hours for support HH wants me to send it in, wait 3 weeks and then maybe it will be fixed? Goodbye Spectrum forever. Hello Futaba.
Terry
Terry - Sorry to hear about your lost aircraft. No one wants to lose an aircraft, especially to radio issues. I have had a DX8 for a few months, without issues. I have been flying with JR/Spektrum radios for some time.

Brownouts are strictly related to Receiver power issues. The model of Transmitter used does not have anything to do with Brownouts.

Were your crashes all do to Brownouts?
Were they on different receivers?
Were there any issues attributable to the DX8 Transmitter?

Just as a side note, Brownouts can happen to any manufacturer's radio.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the uninformed - Transmitters don't cause brownouts
The post may be genuine (who knows?) but the info in it simply does not make sense.
For example - if one experiences a brownout or a couple -the cause should be fairly easy to pinpoint.
Seven? odd to say the least
Afraid I will have to file this one in the "never happened" file
Old 06-12-2012, 02:35 PM
tncrosby

Let me assure you "RMH" As mush as I hate to say it, My DX8 has problems and I'm upset with how HH wants to try to sweep these DX8 problems under the rug. I'm sure not all DX8s have issues but mine does. OK you asked, heres the whole story of the times I've had problems.

1, Parkzone T28 bind and fly ar600 receiver.

I was flying on a bit of a windy day. 2nd flight I had been up for about 1 minute when all of the sudden, NO control. I was lucky It went into the the ground but no major damage. I tried for weeks to figure that one out. Battery and all connections were good. I thought it must have been something with the plane or the wind.

About a month laterand about 30 flights later

2, A Glo engine plane with a AR7010 receiver

re"> I had just charged the battery the night before on the 2nd flight of the day a few minutes into the flight, NO control. I hopelessly watched as the plane nosed dived to the ground off into the distance in a swampy area. I was never was able to find to do full investigation from the wreckage. The battery in this plane was a few years old so I thought, that could have been it.

LOST PLANE!

About another few weeks later

3, Flying my Glo P51 mustang with a Orange DSM2 receiver.

After experience #2 I installed battery meters on every Glo plane so I can see a full charge before I fly. I also use only new 2000 mAH 5 cell batteries. I was experimenting with the flaps on the plane. Just after I flipped the switch to turn the flaps on NO control. As in horror I switched the flaps back off, the soon after I regained control. I tested it on the ground after and everything looked and worked fine. I was new to flaps so I thought it was me. I also thought it may have been the Orange receiver so I changed it out with a spectrum 7610. I since used the flaps with no problems.

2 months later

4, Parkzone T28 bind and fly.

again it was a little windy ~6 to 8. No response for about 5 seconds. This one I still can't be sure of because of the wind. I thought It could have been just me.

Later that day.

I had a friend checking out my F22 hanger 9 raptor as I just replaced the Engine on it with a new OS55. Just after takeoff I'm horrified to here him say "Oh no, I'm not doing that" as I hear the plane go full throttle heading down into the swamp. I knew the fail safe throttle setting needed to be reset before this flight but I thought I'll fix that later.

CRAP! PLANE LOST.

Again that same day.

Flying my Hanger 9 ultra stick with a 7610 receiver.

I was at the fly field and boy I wanted to fly bad. So I though I'll try my trusty Ulta stick. Battery full charge. about 2 minutes into the flight AGAIN NO CONTROL. Luckily it only lasted for maybe 5 seconds and I was able to land. This was a plane I flew a lot this time I was sure it was not me or this plane.

That night

After two hours of testing that night I was finely able to recreate the problem in my shop. I sat moving the radio stick every few minutes waiting to hear if and when the throttle would go to fail-safe mode. Finally I saw it. NO control and my 7610 receiver is in fail-safe.

After turning the DX8 off and back on it came back.

That was it. now I'm mad. I called HH and after a lengthy hold time and a call back 2 hours later. I was told to send it back and they'd investigate and get back to me. In the mean time I found online where I wasn't the only one having problems with the DX8. I asked about a drop shipment so I wouldn't have to wait three weeks for them to test my radio. No deal.

FINE! HH and spectrum, I've had it with you.

I'm pulling out all my Spectrum receivers. I will never be able to trust Spectrum with by babies in the sky anyway.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:24 PM
rmh

Thanks for the reply
The problems were apparantly of a nature which you were not able to figure out
FWIW - many 5 cell NIMH are simply of extremely low current capability
they will drop current easily yet show a high state of charged when checked - I am not making this up.
You are obviously frustrated at the problems but I saw nothing in your answer to lead me to think there was a tx or rx problem.
too many other possibiliies which are more apt to be the culprit.
I really hope you have better luck with future flying.
You may want to research power setups and testing procedures .
Old 06-12-2012, 04:56 PM
tncrosby

You've got to be kidding.
I've worked in the Electrical field for 30 years, so I do know a great deal about electronics. I was highly skeptical that my problem was in the radio until the testing I described in me # 7 event. That was the reason I continued to fly with the DX8 even after I lost my first plane. I do agree the voltage to the receiver will drop a little during the moving of servos, but not from 6.5 to below 3.? During my shop testing my meter on the RX voltage never dipped below 4VDC.
Even if It did drop enough to kill the RX why did resetting the DX8 fix the problem as I described.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:28 PM
rmh

Don't want to get into a pcontest but a 5 cell batt under extreme load ( relative to radiosetup )should never have gone lower than 5 volts in any case!.
My 6 volt setups under max test loadings on servos in model typicall yrun from a max of say 6.3 to 6.1 under load.
Yourdescripion of crashes describes a typical low voltage failure - which will often after test , a close to nominal level of charge ' what is NOT shown is the severe depression which occurs a few minutes into a flight - for whatever reason - servo loading etc.. This is a basic battery choice issue

I have flown too many different Spektrum setups to believe the failures as you describe them are due to a basic tx /rx problem
Power and reciever setups seem far more likely.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Yucholian
My Feedback: (7)

You said it didn't go below 4V, but exactly how low did it go?
Old 06-12-2012, 05:55 PM
AndyKunz

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Since you are using AR600 and AR7610, I will assume you are using DSMX mode and that you are using the remote with the AR7610. In DSMX mode, the receiver will reconnect to the transmitter in a few milliseconds after power is restored if there is a loss of power, not 5 seconds. If you are losing signal for 5 seconds either (a) you have a poor antenna installation, or (b) you have a really big power problem.

You mention 5c 2000mAh. Are these sub-C cells, or AA format? It's a VERY important difference - high capacity AA cells are NOT for the currents you typically get in a modern model. You really need to be using a short, fat cell rather than a tall, thin one. The low voltage (assuming 4V was the lowest you saw) would also be indicative of a poor cell choice, or perhaps of inadequate wire gauge, or poor connectors or switch. I think Dick was being very generous on the 5V - I would have said 5.5V is a more realistic expectable low voltage. Please check the wire gauge, cell type, connectors, and switch. Apply Ohms law - pull a high current through them and measure the voltage on both sides.

If you fly in wind or gusts, it's not uncommon to hit "pockets" where your plane is moving relative to the ground but has little/no airspeed and thus no control. I planted a Stryker last weekend for this same reason, flying downwind into turbulence and the roller just meant I had no control even though all the surfaces were moving just fine.

I'm sorry to hear about your lost P-51. Not setting failsafe is a sure way to jinx yourself, like saying "one last flight before I go home..."

It is still possible that you have a DX8 that needs to be serviced, but I think you ought to check these other areas first.

Andy
Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"inadequate wire gauge"...... ROTFLMAO.   on a .40-.50 size aircraft

With advice like this I'd be jumping brands too.

amazing how folks on other brand radios don;t have problems with 4cell NimH of the AA variety....
Crosby, the set up you refer to is used in a many many planes everyday with very few planes behaving the way your has. However when reports are made of problems the symptoms are similar.

Easy way t test your batteries is too use the servos and other working hardware from the  wreckage that could be salvaged.
Rig up the servos so they actuate a load either via a spring or weights. Simulate loads in the 2kg range for those smallish planes.
If you can get an ammeter onto the servo line you can check the current draw and also a voltmeter/ammeter across the battery to check the voltage and current drop you can isolate a power issue fairly quickly.

The only time I've had a power issue is if the battery was not charged (it happens). If the battery voltage is pulled down by more than 0.5V then theres a problem with either the battery or the loads are too high. 

You mention you simulated the lock out situation in your workshop?  maybe explain around that a little more.

Unfortunately there are members around here who jump to the defense of hardware almost in a knee jerk manner. 

A chum of mine lost his Pilot SBach 30cc recently to a lock out on a certain 9 channel Rx. At least that company acknowledged a potential problem and fixed it...
Hardware failures happen. suggest you isolate it to Tx/Rx to keep this conversation focussed on problem solving rather than it turning into a brand war. If feel happy that you have then take the necessary action that makes you feel comfortable the problem will not reoccur. Don't be swayed by brand loyalists into thinking the problem is with you. Pics of your set up help to keep the conversation focussed because then any issues can be seen almost immediately.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:51 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nooooooooooooooo,  Problems with a Spektrum Radio?  I Don't Believe that!!!      When will you people learn?  Oh I know,  when you crash your planes!!   Get a Futaba radio System and solve your radio problems once and for all!!
Old 06-13-2012, 04:58 AM
rmh

and if you crash your Futaba/ orwhatever setup - switch brands first then try to determine the problem may have been .
brilliant
Old 06-13-2012, 05:00 AM
AndyKunz

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Unfortunately there are members around here who jump to the defense of hardware almost in a knee jerk manner.
Yes, Tim, we are accustomed to you doing that.

Aside from that comment, the remainder of your paragraph is good advice. Photos help, explanations of what was done help. Thanks for making those requests.

Andy
Old 06-13-2012, 08:53 AM
tncrosby

Obviously I'm not going to be able to convince some people. But as I describe in my event 7,   Left no doubt "this radio is unreliable". I have a scope where I could graph the DC current and voltage feeding the RX but after event 7?Also keep in mind this was four  different planes? Seven different times? And then the nail in the coffin, the RX not responding in my shop until I reset the DX8.  My main goal here is to educate potential buyers. There are still problems out there with new DX8s that are not included in Spectrums service bulletins (by the way, this should be called a recall) The last thing I wanted to believe is that my problem was due to my DX8 as I loved how easy it was to setup and use.  This realization that spectrum is the cause will cost me dearly as I now need new receivers. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is as I'm having to buy all new equipment. Its a shame that Spectrum won't step up and put their money where there mouth is. If  RMH is that sure that its not the DX8, I'll tell you what. I'll make you a great deal on this DX8, you fly your best plane with it for a few months with it assuming your plane last that long. I know I sound a bit upset, but I am not happy with Spectrum.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:59 AM
rmh

So be it -
I still think you have not provided a cause/effect scenario
having setup a half dozen of these - and having zero feedback problems - I can't buy your evaluation
have they had problems absolutely but as you describe your issues - I don't see any cause and effect
Old 06-13-2012, 09:15 AM
hobby_man
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Rotten40851

Nooooooooooooooo, Problems with a Spektrum Radio? I Don't Believe that!!! When will you people learn? Oh I know, when you crash your planes!! Get a Futaba radio System and solve your radio problems once and for all!!

No bind and fly with Futaba!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

All I know is that I have been using the DX8 transmitter with many Genuine Spektrum receivers on 6 volts and I have not had a brown out since I switched to 6 volts. I am thinking of switching to all Lipos and BECs @ 6volt.

I know you are having trouble and I know a guy that had a lot of issues with his DX8 radio. I feel for your loss. I field charge my DX8 before I fly.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:37 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Do we know if he's load testing his batteries?  Maybe his charger is un-reliable and he's having brownouts from batteries that he thinks are fully charged?  Too many mistakes here associated with low voltage and/or with him being a noob poster, could he be somehow hitting his bind function on his transmitter during flight?  I had a DX7 and I conveniently hooked it on my flight box to keep it from being on the ground and not getting stepped on.  Not realizing that it layed on one of the buttons hiding the assembly screws on the flight box and that pushed in the bind button.  DUH.  I argued with Spektrum and sent it back in to have a no fault service.  One day after getting it back a buddy noticed how it was perched on my flight box and that was solved.  Boy did I feel dumb.  Lucky for me it went to bind while the planes were still on the ground.  It was intermittent because sometimes it wouldn't do it.
Maybe he does have that one lemon unit but I'd be willing to bet this is user error.  Spektrum will fix any radio they sell with little to NO argument.  I sure as hell wouldn't be into crash # 7 if I had a Spektrum DX1000 (no they aren't out yet) 
Old 06-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

FWIW,
I still fly 72 Mhz, and after what you described, I would have sent the TX in for repair after #3 or outright replaced it. No way would I have continued to use it

I watched a guy put in three planes one day at the field I fly at, not only all on the same TX, BUT THE SAME RX! 1st one was his fault, lost it in the sun. First flight of a new plane too. The rest? The infamous "I don't got it..." syndrome.

Good luck!

Bill S.
PS: Im a fan of Futaba
Old 06-13-2012, 11:58 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Horizon Hobbies has a serious problem with customer support and I went through the same problem with an engine related issue. Now to address your issue with your 2.4ghz radio, I can't but it appears others can't either. You either have a unit that works or one that fails. This can't be good for the manufacture but it certainly helps the competition. The introduction of this new technology for the hobbyist has brought along allot of baggage just like the old 72mhz frequency. Eventually it will be solved at the expense of the modeler sad but true. I recently got into gas engines flying on 72mhz and everything worked without RF interference until recently. I replaced the ignition module and all is fine again. When the problem first appeared I assumed it was radio interference but when I throttled backed it went away. I posted this problem on this site and the consensus was a bad ignition module. Sometimes others have had a similar problem and can point you in the right direction however most of the respondents never have a problem and it's your fault.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:53 PM
John Taylor
My Feedback: (16)

Sorry for your loss. I've had my DX8 for over a year and no problems flying any of my aircraft. Eather on DSMX or DSM2. Early on I switched to 6 volt system's in all my planes. No issues. I've also had great service from Horizon.
John T.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Personally, I look at it this way: When a company make 1000's of a product, any product, 100% of them cannot be 100% fault free.

You may own the one thats bad...

Bill S.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Herbs_007

I believe what tncrosby is saying, its obviously the transmitter. Of course using 4v RX batteries isnt a good idea but people are using them and having no problems even with Spektrum. Its clear that the TX is not sending a full strength signal all of the time which forces the RX to go off air and then the plane crashes. In Australia we received a large batch of Spektrum DX7's, this same senario as above was happening. All the TX's including mine were replaced, and of course no reason was forth comming from the Aussie importer. Basically he has a lemon DX8 and needs to have it replaced, I personally would have had it replaced at crash 3 but thats me.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:42 PM
rmh

That is a situation I am not aware of
In that you are aware of it
could you tell us when this occurred?
Old 06-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Herbs_007

The problem occured about 3.5 to 4 years ago. At my club we had 5 x DX7's replaced, one had his replaced twice.. Lemons happen, but it can certainly give the manufacturer a bad name.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.