Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

R/C Tank Club/Group in Detroit Area?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

R/C Tank Club/Group in Detroit Area?

Old 11-21-2019, 05:45 PM
throwscoach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dgsselkirk,
That would be great, we shoot everyone equally except Jim, he is the #1 target.
George
Old 12-20-2019, 07:33 AM
Tinner7

Default Hello

Just wanted to pop in and say hello. I live in Lansing Michigan and have been looking around from time to time in hopes of finding a active rc tank scene near me. Right now the only tank I have is my Tamiya Abrams but I hope to get a Sherman and or a Tiger within the coming year. I mainly have crawler/trail trucks.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:17 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Welcome aboard. I'm down in Detroit, on the very western edge of the city, the area known as bright more. If you know Detroit, then 5 Mile and Telegraph. I've really gotten into these new RC trucks over the last year or two, and I posted a lot of videos about them at my YouTube channel, and right this minute there are some really cool advances about to come out. Imex, down in Florida, is now carrying wpl and JJ RC trucks and a complete line of parts. They're also going to have a new upgrade board that will give the truck sound, tail lights, and turn signals, along with a couple other things and I plan to get one of those boards just as soon as they're available, which should be within the next few days.

Again, welcome aboard, it's always good to see new members. Just holler with any tank questions that you have and I'm sure one of the guys here will be able to help you out.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:59 PM
Xipetotecs

Happy Holidays All!

Having been a really good boy this year Santa brought me a really sweet new tank!!

Its a henglong M4A3 105 with metal tracks and gear box, the 2.4ghz 6.0s radio system and IR battle system/airsoft BB gun. This tank is amazing for the price ($250ish). Cant stop driving this thing around! Cant wait to battle other humans! Comparing it to my older henglongs this thing is a spaceship Cadillac. Heavy and robust. My old Pershing is just crap and the Panther is ok, but both have DBC battle systems that at worst dont work and at best janky. Probably my wiring...

Im really looking forward to big backyard battle hopefully sooner rather than later! The new henglong battle system is compatible with Tamiya and Ive been shooting up my panther the last 2 days. I can hit it 60-70 feet away outside and this review shows the pros and cons of the system as compared to Tamiya See this RC universe thread heng long IR battle review (apparently I need ten post to have a URL)
  1. The question is can I use this tank to battle with this group? It essentially behaves like a Tamiya medium tank but doesnt slow down and the shot timing is around 3 seconds
  2. Do I need to make any changes? Hit LED's on the turret and high tension shot flasher are easy adds
  3. DBC trouble - Anyone have experience with these? That old panther takes hits well but it has issues with the IR emitter. Very weak, can only score a hit about 4 inches (100mm) away with both the henglong system and the DBC system. Either the LED's in both DBC tanks have burned out (Ive swapped them and its thats unlikely) or there is something wrong with the DBC boards (very likely). They have always been unreliable. The DBC board puts out 1.3-1.4 volts to IR led with triggered. Is that right? Was considering buying a new LED just to try that, Also LED is very very dim when looked at with camera as compared to the henglong IR LED
  4. If I were to replace the DBC board with a different system, any recommendations? Ive been looking at MAKO/Piranha and that seems most cost effective if available. Alternatively I could just drop in new henglong electronics for about the same price. New Tamiya electonics are prohibitively expensive. Any Advice?
Thank you all for any help and cant wait roll into a big battle!

Patrick
Old 12-31-2019, 11:00 AM
EOT

Hi Patrick,

As to the first 2 questions I don't know if it can be adjusted or not . The older systems were incompatible with tamiya and non adjustable but that information is 4 or 5 years old and very outdated.
The 3rd question: The DBC system had many issues with weak wiring. Here's a link https://battlearmorrc.weebly.com/. He has a tutorials section at the top and it covers IR range and brown outs be gone. Check those out.
The 4th question: the best options are El Mod (expensive, less than tamiya), Clark TK series boards or an IBU 2 ( less expensive but more involved to set up but not bad from my sources) I would do some research on those 3 and see what your comfortable with and remember there's lots of help on RCU and in the Detroit tank club The last 2 are reliable also.

Mike EOT
Old 01-21-2020, 07:13 AM
jjackso5

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tankers, well Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a great holiday season with friends and family. Maybe Santa brought you and new project too! Now that were a couple of weeks into the new year, what's everyone working on for this coming year? New projects, upgrading old projects, or just getting started? Please post what you're doing.
Those of you here in the Michigan area, and that have posted here, I'll be working on redeveloping the battle field in Brighton as soon as the snow leaves! We may also have another location in the Flint area this next year too! We'll keep you posted on both locations and possible upcoming gatherings.
Thank you to everyone that posted and/or responded to my post last year. Its great to hear from you and I hope we'll be able to meet and battle some this year. Yes, George, I know I'm always the target, but I've got moves!
Mike thank you for assisting with the information for Patrick for setting up his tank. Hope we'll see him out here too.
For now I'm just going to continue this original thread, but at some point, we'll start a new one, please stay tuned.
Wishing everyone a great New Year, and lots of time to build and run your tanks!
Happy Tanking,
Jim
The following 2 users liked this post by jjackso5:
CodeWarrior (02-21-2020), throwscoach (01-23-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 05:49 PM
CodeWarrior

Hi Jim- I’m interested in participating in some RC tank battles. Sorry to hear about your health challenges and I applaud your efforts to pull a group of tankers together to duke it out. I’m about 1/2 an hour from your location and could help in prepping a battlefield if needed. All of my tanks are made by Tamiya with the following in 1/16 scale: a Tiger I ready to go, a Sherman In process and a Pershing new in the box waiting to be built. I have a few of the 1/35th RC battle tanks by Tamiya but I don’t think they are being considered here. Because designing electronics circuits/software was my vocation and is my avocation, and I enjoy building armor models, the idea of being able to meet with like-minded individuals to battle and talk tanks is very appealing. Now that I’m retired I finally have some time to work on the several IR-based tank battle designs I’ve had in mind. These include static pillboxes and autonomous treaded vehicles to fight. They would include sound and light features. I built a Panther turreted panzerturm which was used on a battlefield.

I realize that coordinating a battle day and location can take allot of time and energy, much less possibly coordinating a group to do it as an ongoing activity. Let me know what I can do to help out-

Eric
Old 02-28-2020, 05:58 AM
CodeWarrior

Jim- It's been a bit over a month since we've heard from you and it seems that there are several scale tankers fired up to sling a few IR shells around. Hopefully the Detroit area will be warming up into the mid 40's next week, albeit maybe a bit rainy. Were you still trying to arrange to get some tankers together to do some battling?
Old 02-28-2020, 07:54 PM
throwscoach

Eric he is still working on it do not go anywhere.
George
Old 02-29-2020, 12:56 AM
CodeWarrior

George- Thanks for the reply, I was hoping that things were happening in the background.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:53 AM
CodeWarrior

Default Static targets

RC tankers- For some time now I have been considering making my own static targets for RC battle tanks. These might be the kind of thing used for a tank biathlon to which you may have seen references made in this forum, web searches, etc... It could also be used for some solo battles, perhaps ultimately with a few units being set up and communicating with each other to allow different units to be vulnerable at different times. Because I would be making a custom design these targets could return fire, take a number of hits before being destroyed, allow limited window of time to accept a hit, have different vulnerability depending on front/side/rear impact, etc..

Of course none of this would be necessary if anyone knows of a static-target system which is already available for purchase. If you know of such a thing please let me know. I haven't found anything yet but I also have not done allot of searching either.

Maybe I'm just crazy and people don't believe such a thing is even of interest. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this, positive, negative or otherwise. During these times which require us to isolate ourselves from others having something like this might allow us to have some fun with our tanks even if we can't get together.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:08 PM
bowlman

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Eric
You could check here
Products
He had a Battle Circuit and was doing a new one don't know if its done yet .
Thanks
JimmyB

Old 03-23-2020, 12:14 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

The product bowlman suggested is good. I have both the T1 and the T2 targets and they work well. The T2 is more versatile because the IR receiver is separate from the main circuit board.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:29 PM
bowlman

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I got his Recoil board that I use to test servo's for recoil after hook up mounted in a box from radio shack with a connector for battery and one for the servo .
I remembered he had a battle circuit .
Thanks
Jimmy
Old 03-23-2020, 12:41 PM
BcuriousR

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Something like this maybe...
MAKO20SA Standalone Unit [MAKO20SA] - $59.90 : RC Tanks Australia
Old 03-23-2020, 03:05 PM
Crius

RC tanks Australia is run by Kevin Grannum, an avid tanker and good guy, and if you check his YouTube Channel you'll find that he has a lot of very cool little Boards. Like one that will provide random movement for your machine gun in your tank, as well as the whole Mako series. I've been doing business with him for years and highly recommend him.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:16 AM
CodeWarrior

Thank you for some very good suggestions. I see that Pah co chu puk, and maybe Gary, owns a few of the kind of devices I'm interested in. It looks like Kevin of RC Tanks Australia does some very nice work and is really into the hobby. I appreciate the hard work and technical expertise it takes to come up with such designs. Because I enjoy the design process and would like to see some additional capability in a static target I'll likely still work on something on my own.
I don't want to steer this forum too far from it's intended subject but was curious if a group forming in the Detroit area made much use of static targets.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:21 AM
Crius

You should send a message to Kevin at RC tanks Australia and tell him what you're up to. He's been known to help guys make improvements to his products so he might even provide you with code or what ever else you need to accomplish your goal. At any rate, it can't hurt to contact him and see what he thinks.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:45 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I'll second RCTA being awesome. I've met Kevin in person and he is not only a great guy but has great products too. I still have some of his boards from years ago that work great to this day.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:41 AM
CodeWarrior

Maybe I'll talk with Kevin, he seems to be well liked by all who have had dealings with him. Does anyone know of a thread in this forum where this kind of thing is discussed? The only one I could come up with, albeit in a quick search, was titled "IR Remote for testing tanks / refereeing battles". Not to say that I'm a bit new to RCU but I need to have at least 10 posts before I can embed a link .
Old 03-25-2020, 06:56 AM
BcuriousR

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeWarrior
Maybe I'll talk with Kevin, he seems to be well liked by all who have had dealings with him. Does anyone know of a thread in this forum where this kind of thing is discussed? The only one I could come up with, albeit in a quick search, was titled "IR Remote for testing tanks / refereeing battles". Not to say that I'm a bit new to RCU but I need to have at least 10 posts before I can embed a link .
There is a forum, but it's a bit hard to find and doesn't have much info or activity. MAKO IR Battle System - RC Tanks Australia Forum
Old 03-25-2020, 08:33 AM
Shorty54

I saw this some time ago.
Im not sure if it works or has been tested??

Look for how to build a target module

Enjoy,
Shad
Old 03-26-2020, 05:05 AM
CodeWarrior

Thanks Shad and BcuriousR for the links, that's the kind of thing I was looking for. If I do any further posts on a potential target module I'll post it at the RCU forum. My guess is that target units are not the most popular items for RC tankers given the general lack of forum posts, etc...
Old 04-02-2020, 04:45 PM
throwscoach

Gentleman,
I spoke to Jim today, he is working on his backyard. Going to be tough to do anything until COVID19 has past.
George
Old 04-03-2020, 01:46 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Lightbulb

With states closed down it will be difficult for all of us to get to out to our favorite battlefield. And the prospect of this virus being a seasonal thing come this Fall makes things even worse.

I do hope Jim tales all precautions if and when this is over as there is a slight chance of us still driving there this year!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.