Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 04-15-2019, 09:26 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Test only; please ignore. I'm trying to figure out why the spacing of the clues seems so erratic. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:41 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

Clues:

1. A single prototype of a new fighter showed great promise in testing; and an initial order for 100 aircraft was placed.

2. But then it was suggested the plane could be lightened a bit.

3. And the wing should be stiffened.

4. So the order was cancelled.

5. By the time the revised (lightened and stiffened) aircraft was ready, the war was almost over. But still, twenty aircraft were ordered.

6. The revised Model B featured not only a strengthened wing with additional bracing; and a revised vertical stabilizer and rudder; as well as strengthened landing gear.

7. In the original tests, the subject aircraft was found to have superior performance to almost any of the aircraft then in production.

8. So, the builders decided to continue development and sales.

9. Their monoplane was, yet again, revised.

10. Less than a year and one-half later, yet another variant was ready. This one featured revised ailerons.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:33 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

1. A single prototype of a new fighter showed great promise in testing; and an initial order for 100 aircraft was placed.

5. By the time the revised (lightened and stiffened) aircraft was ready, the war was almost over. But still, twenty aircraft were ordered.

6. The revised Model B featured not only a strengthened wing with additional bracing; and a revised vertical stabilizer and rudder; as well as strengthened landing gear.

7. In the original tests, the subject aircraft was found to have superior performance to almost any of the aircraft then in production.

10. Less than a year and one-half later, yet another variant was ready. This one featured revised ailerons.

11. As is true after almost any war, it was hard to find buyers of new and untried aircraft.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:43 PM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.What warbird do I describe?

Clues:

11. As is true after almost any war, it was hard to find buyers of new and untried aircraft.

12. Particularly with so many surplus aircraft being sold.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:49 PM
Ernie P.

Clues:

13. Still, the builders pressed on and developed several new, improved variants.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:31 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:

13. Still, the builders pressed on and developed several new, improved variants.

14. In fact, it could be argued there were almost as many variants as aircraft produced and sold.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:36 PM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

14. In fact, it could be argued there were almost as many variants as aircraft produced and sold.

15. A couple of years later, yet another variant was ready.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:28 PM
Ernie P.

Clues:

16. This one featured a redesigned wing, with greater span, a modified horizontal stabilizer and yet another modification to the landing gear.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:26 AM
Ernie P.

Today's clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

16. This one featured a redesigned wing, with greater span, a modified horizontal stabilizer and yet another modification to the landing gear.

17. This was the most popular version, but numbers were never great.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:36 PM
Ernie P.

Another today's clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

18. Eventually, half a dozen nations bought the plane; including the producing nation.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:18 PM
Ernie P.

And yet another of Today's clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

18. Eventually, half a dozen nations bought the plane; including the producing nation.

19. But the numbers were still relatively small.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:12 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:

19. But the numbers were still relatively small.

20. Perhaps fewer than 120 aircraft in total, of all variants, were built.

Last edited by Ernie P.; 04-19-2019 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:41 AM
Ernie P.

Twenty clues without a guess? Not even a question or comment? Is any one out there? Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

19. But the numbers were still relatively small.20. Perhaps fewer than 120 aircraft in total, of all variants, were built.

21. As the aircraft design aged, some were used as trainers.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:28 PM
Ernie P.

Clues:

19. But the numbers were still relatively small.20. Perhaps fewer than 120 aircraft in total, of all variants, were built.

22. There was even a two seat version produced.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:37 PM
Ernie P.

Clues:

23. An air ambulance version was produced.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:24 PM
Ernie P.

Clues:

24. And an unarmed version.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:50 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:

25. They even built one to test the effects of overloading.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:34 PM
Ernie P.

Clues:

26. Not to mention a couple of custom aerobatic versions.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:29 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:

27. One version won a notable speed trial, several years after the war ended.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:40 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:

28. And aerobatic versions were still being produced more than ten years after war’s end.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:33 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:

28. And aerobatic versions were still being produced more than ten years after war’s end.

29. Aerobatic versions produced for Jerome Cavalli.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:15 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Before Ernie runs out of clues I'll say the Gourdou-Leseurre GL.2. Nice looking monoplane too bad they didn't get it in the war sooner.

Unfortunately I spent Sunday afternoon, night, and a good chunk of Monday in the ER with chest pains. I go to the cardiologist tomorrow so I will be unavailable to continue with a new quiz. The good news was I had no heart attack now to determine if its heart disease. I have been dragging for a while so it could explain it.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:54 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Before Ernie runs out of clues I'll say the Gourdou-Leseurre GL.2. Nice looking monoplane too bad they didn't get it in the war sooner.

Unfortunately I spent Sunday afternoon, night, and a good chunk of Monday in the ER with chest pains. I go to the cardiologist tomorrow so I will be unavailable to continue with a new quiz. The good news was I had no heart attack now to determine if its heart disease. I have been dragging for a while so it could explain it.
Sir; I trust all will be well. Heart attack or no, this isn't something with which to play around. Yes, you nailed the answer; now I hope you nail the exam. Please keep us all posted as to your progress.

All; FlyerInOKC is unavailable to lead, so anyone with a good question ready is welcome to take the floor. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

29. Aerobatic versions produced for Jerome Cavalli.

30. And Fernand Malinvaud.

31. As well as Adrienne Bollard.

32. The most popular version, produced around ten years after the war, had a top speed of more than 150 MPH.

Answer: The Gourdou-Leseurre GL.2

The Gourdou-Leseurre GL.2 (originally, the Gourdou-Leseurre Type B) was a French fighter aircraft which made its maiden flight in 1918.
Design and development

The GL.2 was a development of the Gourdou-Leseurre Type A which had shown pleasing performance during testing but which had been ultimately rejected by the Aéronautique Militaire due to concerns about the rigidity of the wing. The Type B featured not only a new wing design, now braced by four struts on either side in place of the two per side on the Type A, but also a revised fin and rudder for improved directional stability, and strengthened undercarriage. Twenty examples were delivered in November 1918, designated GL.2C.1 in service, but the end of the war meant a loss of official interest.

Gourdou-Leseurre continued development anyway, and by 1920 had an improved version, designated GL.21 or B2 ready for exhibition at the Paris Salon de l'Aéronautique that year. This differed from the GL.2 mostly in having revised ailerons and a batch of twenty were purchased by the Aéronautique Militaire, with another one being purchased by Finland for evaluation.

Two years later, a further revision of the design appeared as the GL.22 or B3. This featured a redesigned wing of greater span, and modified horizontal stabiliser and landing gear. This proved to be a moderate success for Gourdou-Leseurre, selling 20 to the Aéronautique Maritime as the GL.22C.1, as well as 18 to Finland, 15 to Czechoslovakia, 15 to Estonia, one to Latvia, and Yugoslavia.[1] This was followed by a small series of test aircraft designated GL.23 or B4 before manufacture of the GL.22 resumed in an unarmed version known internally to the company as the B5 and purchased by both the Aéronautique Militaire and Aéronautique Maritime as the GL.22ET.1 for use as an advanced trainer (Ecole de Transition). One of these aircraft was used for trials aboard the aircraft carrier Béarn.

The GL.24 version was produced in small numbers in 1925 for various trial purposes, including one two-seat trainer conversion, and one air ambulance (TSTransport Sanitaire) exhibited at an international medical conference held in Paris that year.

The GL.2 was also used as a display aircraft, with Gourdou-Leseurre test pilot André Christiany flying one to win the speed trial in the 1923 Coupe Michelin, and two ET.1s painted in the tricolore giving displays throughout France and North Africa the same year. Even well into the 1930s, specialised aerobatic versions were produced as the B6 and B7 for Jérôme Cavalli and Fernand Malinvaud respectively, with a second B7 built for Adrienne Bolland.
Variants

Deck landing of a Gourdou-Leseurre GL 22· B/GL.2 – Initial wartime version (20 built)· · B2/GL.21 – G.2 with revised ailerons (21 built). Also known as the GL.21C.1.· · B3/GL.22 – New wing, tail, landing gear (71 built). Also known as the GL.22C.1.· · B4/GL.23 – Test versions (9 built). Also known as the GL.23C.1. · o GL.23TS – Air ambulance version (1 built)
Gourdou-Leseurre LGL.23 TS photo from L'Aéronautique December,1926 · B5/GL.22ET – Unarmed version of B3. Also known as the ET.· · GL.24 – Test versions · o GL.24X – Test aircraft to investigate the effects of overloading (1 built) o · B6 – Aerobatic version for Jérôme Cavalli with Hispano-Suiza 9Qd engine (1 built)· · B7 – Aerobatic version for Fernand Malinvaud and Adrienne Bolland with Lorraine 9Na engine (2 built)
Operators

France· Aéronautique Militaire· Aéronautique Maritime

Czechoslovakia
· Czechoslovakian Air Force – 15 × GL.22

Estonia
· Estonian Air Force – 15 × GL.22

Finland
· Finnish Air Force – 1 × GL.21, 18 × GL.22, plus one extra built from spare parts

Latvia
· Latvian Air Force· Aizsargi – 1 × GL.22

Kingdom of Yugoslavia
· Yugoslav Royal Air Force – 20 GL.22 bought from France during 1928. Obtained licence for another 20 built by Zmaj during 1929/30, and another 6 built by Zmaj in 1933.

Specifications (GL.22C.1)

General characteristics· Crew: One pilot· · Length: 6.50 m (21 ft 4 in)· · Wingspan: 9.40 m (30 ft 10 in)· · Height: 2.52 m (8 ft 4 in)· · Wing area: 18.4 m2 (198 ft2)· · Empty weight: 590 kg (1,800 lb)· · Gross weight: 880 kg (1,940 lb)· · Powerplant: 1 × Hispano-Suiza 8Ab, 134 kW (180 hp)

Performance· Maximum speed: 257 km/h (153 mph)· · Range: 450 km (280 miles)· · Service ceiling: 7,500 m (24,600 ft)· · Rate of climb: 4.8 m/s (940 ft/min)· Armament· 2 × fixed, forward-firing .303 Vickers machine guns

Gourdou-Leseurre Type A

The Gourdou-Leseurre Type A, retrospectively named the GL.1, was a prototype fighter aircraft built in France in 1918. It was a conventional parasol-wing monoplane with fixed tailskid undercarriage, with main units connected by a cross-axle. The pilot sat in an open cockpit. Construction was of fabric-covered wood and steel. Initial flight testing revealed performance superior to most contemporary biplane fighters and led to an order of 100 aircraft being placed. However, further tests suggested that the aircraft structure could be considerably lightened, and that the wing needed to be stiffened, leading to a cancellation of the order. Only a single prototype was built, but this led to the development of the successful Gourdou-Leseurre Type B.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:29 PM
Ernie P.

All; the floor is open to anyone who wishes to ask a question. First come, first served; just post your question. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:39 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
All; the floor is open to anyone who wishes to ask a question. First come, first served; just post your question. Thanks; Ernie P.
All; the floor is still open. If you have a question, ask away and post your first clue(s). Thanks; Ernie P.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.