Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 01-14-2021, 04:19 PM
bisco

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I have considered purchasing a printer for my computer, the one I had cost $30 but the ink cost over $40 for tiny cartridges, I was given a copier-printer-fax, and I bought ink at $60+ today I haven't printed one page, the printer burned up. So now I am reluctant to purchase another printer because of the cost of these tiny ink refills, Is there a printer on the market that permits me to refill the cartridges myself ? I got lots of ink. It seems the printer manuf's have figured a way to suck you dry with overpriced ink cartridges. I will keep looking.
we have been very happy with this one. same problem as you with years of inkjet printers:

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-14-2021, 09:16 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

We have a local toner company I have mine refilled at saves me a bundle. I have an old B&W HP1020 she has some mileage on her and tries to double feed paper but she still prints.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:01 AM
donnyman

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjohnston
Hi Donny, A friend of mine just buys a new30 dollar printer everytime his printer runs out of ink and throws the old one away! I know that sounds like a waste of money!
Michael
It may sound like a waste but If I had done that I would have saved some money. the ink cost more than the printer and i bought a lot of ink.

Thanks for all the responses I can now see some light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:33 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I've had this song running through my head all day today. Gee... I can't imagine why?
Old 01-21-2021, 12:29 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

I also feel a little happier this morning. Can't think why! Especially as I have a model to repair!

I went flying my Baron last week and the wing fell off. Poor maintenance on my part. The wing's hardly damaged and the tailplane is sound. I'll build another fuselage using basswood for the longerons. It's stronger that way. Good job I have a spare Baron for the competition in June!

Picture of my Baron competing in La Coupe Des Barons 2018 and of it crashed and burnt!

Any of you guys been flying recently?

Boris in the pylon race. The white model in the picture is being flown by a fourteen year-old girl!

Crashed.

Burnt.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:19 AM
FlyerInOKC

It will give you something to do to keep you out of the cold. I wa thinking David, and you know how dangerous that can be, since it takes so long to sell why not put the house on the market while you work on it maybe you find a buyer a little quicker that way? It will also keep you motivated to get things done. My lungs are kicking up again the coughing and the achiness is driving me nuts!

Mike
Old 01-21-2021, 05:32 AM
bisco

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I also feel a little happier this morning. Can't think why! Especially as I have a model to repair!

I went flying my Baron last week and the wing fell off. Poor maintenance on my part. The wing's hardly damaged and the tailplane is sound. I'll build another fuselage using basswood for the longerons. It's stronger that way. Good job I have a spare Baron for the competition in June!

Picture of my Baron competing in La Coupe Des Barons 2018 and of it crashed and burnt!

Any of you guys been flying recently?

Boris in the pylon race. The white model in the picture is being flown by a fourteen year-old girl!

Crashed.

Burnt.
good morning tm!

sorry to see your poor little plane, but i know you'll get her sorted!
i have been flying almost everyday, with the blessing of milder temps (20-40f) and lower winds. i have had great success with a little umx turbo timber i received for Christmas, and the aeroscout i have been learning on since september.
unfortunately, the axn floater jet i just finished putting together is having a communication problem, and yesterday, she fell out of the sky like a wounded duck:

Old 01-21-2021, 11:38 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
It will give you something to do to keep you out of the cold. I wa thinking David, and you know how dangerous that can be, since it takes so long to sell why not put the house on the market while you work on it maybe you find a buyer a little quicker that way? It will also keep you motivated to get things done. My lungs are kicking up again the coughing and the achiness is driving me nuts!

Mike
Quite so Mike but I would like to get the garden path finished first. It's a bit of a construction job but it should be ready by the Spring. I intended to build it so that a friend of mine who was a wheelchair user could visit me with her partner but she died last year.

Must get a shave and shower then I'm off to the open air market in Aigurande.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:19 AM
Aero55

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I can remember going to the "flying field" which was literally that, a field. The standing rule was show up Sunday afternoon about 2:30. Usually 5 or 6 people would
show up. 3 of those had airplanes. The radios were either galloping ghost or reeds. One guy wouldn't be able to get his engine running. Another guy would have
radio problems so wouldn't fly. The guy that got his engine running created alot of excitement, he would "hand launch" his high wing cabin balsa and silk airplane with a running start and up. up, up it would go. Then it would crash badly. We would all walk out and help pick up oily pieces and walk them back to the row of cars parked in the grass. That was a good day. The crashes varied, sometimes a wing would fold in the middle. Sometimes the plane would just dive into the ground engine screaming! The smell of hot nitro and caster oil in the air. The local druggist mixed our fuel for us.
Radio failure or fumble thumbs? Who knows? One time a very accomplished builder and flyer showed up was flying a 48" wingspan high wing with a .19 engine. It looked something like a boxy Cessna 150. He flew it alot. He had a red box citizenship radio, and the rudder hinges were black electical tape.It was a beautiful blue day he was laying on his back with his transmitter on his chest. The little engine was buzzing along at half throttle or less, the model was a black sllhouette high up aginst the sky. You could see a faint trail of caster oil smoke behind the plane up there, in fact it was so high up that was about the only way to find it if you looked away, as the engine sound would fade in and out with the breeze. Suddenly there was a strange noise, then utter silence! The engine had quit ! Then Look ! Something dropped off the plane!. It dipped a couple of times and then went into a flat spin. We all watched in amazement as the little blue and red plane came spinning right down and touched on the nose wheel and stopped, It was unscathed. The engine was Gone! We formed a line to comb the grass for the engine which we found in the weeds.
The following 3 users liked this post by Aero55:
bisco (01-23-2021), GallopingGhostler (01-23-2021), Telemaster Sales UK (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 11:39 AM
bisco

sounds like a typical day for me, except for the 'unscathed' part
The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 04:18 PM
FlyerInOKC

Ah! Those early days of flying of my youth! Hours of building followed by a few minutes of shear terror, followed by a rebuild.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:50 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Reminds me of my early days of youth, too. However, I flew 1/4-A and 1/2-A, being smaller, lighter and flying at lower speeds under single channel control with the more reliable proportional Ace R/C Pulse Commander with Superheterodyne receiver circuitry and Ni-Cad flight pack, had less tendency to rekit upon impact in tall grass. Yes, I did have to do repairs but they were not major rebuilds, a couple days and back to flying.

That was back in the early 1970's. Then toward the latter 1970's, bought my first multichannel R/C outfit, the Cannon 410 4-channel kit (sold under the name Charlie's R/C, Charlie was Bill Cannon's wife). My first multichannel airplane was Lee Renaud's Airtronics Q-Tee, powered by a Cox .049 Golden Bee engine. Previously, I had flown Q-Tee as rudder only and auxiliary throttle using the Ace Pulse with KRD quick blip sequential throttle mod. Installed an Ace R/C exhaust restrictor throttle ring on the same Golden Bee.

Back then, life was so much simpler with such simple aircraft, actually the Le Baron event that Telemaster has shared with us is a throwback to simpler times. If one wanted, they could simply take one of those Barons and fly it two channel rudder and elevator or aileron and elevator with a non-throttled engine toward the lower acceptable end of the range. Use an engine cut off system like for pylon racers, where a quick blip of down elevator would trigger a music wire spring to clamp the fuel line, cutting off fuel flow.

You don't really need much gear or a super fancy aircraft to have a blast at flying.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:20 PM
FlyerInOKC

I was fortunate in my first radio was a Heathkit digital proportional 2 stick 3 channel with the Heathkit version of the KPS-9 servos. It was the last of a discontinued model with individual sticks for rudder and elevator with a tab on the back behind the elevator stick controlling the throttle. It had been replaced by the new 3 and 4 channel single stick radios were out with the smaller KPS-10 servos. I remember it cost $125 with the third servo. I built for a high school electronic course and got an "A" for the project. My first airplane was a Goldberg Skylane covered with Silkspan and painted with one ver thin coat of white Pactra dope.powered by an OS Max .20 R/C. I would graduate 3 years later spending my tax refund of $235 for a Kraft series 70 radio the previous owner had bought but never used. It was hot stuff back then.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:45 AM
donnyman

I enjoy reading of you gentleman's past RC experiences but most impressed by your details of the events. my memories are there but not as detailed. RC for me was a total mystery and I had no assistance, so I ruined more electronics from the late 1950's until the early to mid 70's. most all my rado's were kits of some sort or the other and the soldier iron was one that had to be heated on the stove which I overheated and cooked everything. nothing worked. what I did not know could fill volumes.
fast forward to the 1960's I bought a Astro Hog with a eight channel Orbit reed radio that worked well but a warped elevator would roll the plane into the ground, it would easily take off with a green head Torpedo 45 which I still have, it always started on the first flip of the prop, one of my favored engines. no real success's until the 1970's using a 5 channel Heathkit in a Goldberg Taurus, I almost passed out when it took to the air under the skilled hands of Mel Whitley. It didn't take long for me to mangle That and several planes thereafter. Plans built Ziroli Morane saulnier, and Eindecker which was too narrow for the heathkit to fit. Flower power, (plans built) and several falcon 56 after which I built so many planes I have trouble remembering them.

I preferred plans building over kits because it was cheaper and more fun.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:07 AM
FlyerInOKC

I think back in those days you expected the norm to be a quick nose in and major rebuild after a brief flight. It was all the learn on your own as you plan.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:58 AM
donnyman

I think back in those days you expected the norm to be a quick nose in and major rebuild after a brief flight. It was all the learn on your own as you plan.
Yes, and rarely was I disappointed. But the exception was filled with so much of a thrill? you would always come back for more. The fear of the "lawn dart" result kept me from flying several planes in the past
and somewhat affects me today.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:21 AM
FlyerInOKC

There are still always butterflies with new airplanes with me on the maiden. I was so nervous with my first airplane when I got back into R/C in 2004 (I was in hiatus for 23 years) I Shaun McMurty (5 time national champion pattern flier, is dad Mike had a LHS but he retired) take her up and trimmer her for me. He gave the build a glowing review and I took the next flight. She is still flying too!
Telemaster Sales UK (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 05:43 AM
bisco

coming home with an airplane in one piece is still a big thrill for me. a tremendous feeling of success. even with foamies. a simple nose in from a few feet can cause extensive damage.
sometimes, being stuck in a tree provides a better outcome eventually.

lately, i have been struggling with tip stall's due to my penchant for low slow flying, models that don't appreciate it, and more wind than i should be out in.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

I loss a tree when the motor died when I turned onto base. Lucky I had my Eagle scout son with me to sheeny up the 80 foot tree and free it. He pulled the vertical stab loose, it was all he could reach, and it fell straight down on the spinner. The only damage was small hole in the Monokote and the loose fin. It took all of 20 minutes to fix.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:54 AM
bisco

i could have used him when my aeroscout was stuck at the top of a skinny pine tree for a month!
Old 01-26-2021, 06:29 AM
FlyerInOKC

I was very lucky to have him with me that day. He was No. 4 of 4, all of them made Eagle (Troop record for one family) one even scored 3 palms! Scott was the reason I got back into R/C as something we could together though he didn't stick with it. Their troop was no basking weaving troop either. The got in a little ruckus with the council over single rope repelling. They leadership had two nationally certified instructors and one international certified instructions. The shut them up real fast when the troop leaders demanded the credentials of those trying to enforce rules on them. The council instructors didn't have the certifications to back up their judgement and they knew they couldn't win.
The council lost to them over fund raising ventures too. They wanted to limit them to council run fund raising (popcorn) but they lost that one too. The troop was selling a specially formulated Eckroat Seed Co. made Scout Brand Lawn Fertilizer, the family that owned the company were big supporters and very influential in the community I suspect a few heads rolled over that one. A lot of troops in the area would go on to sell it also but they started it. My boys all paid for camp and summer trip every year from their sales. It was the only way they could afford to go so they knew they had to hustle. Mom and Dad hauled a lot of their larger deliveries and Mom kept a spreadsheet of customers for them to call every year. The information was handed down to the troop when they aged out of scouts. The troop would order two 50 bag pallets at the start of the season, one for us and one for the troop and additional pallets as needed. The troop's profits went to pay insurance and upkeep on the old troop bus and trailer. They boys got a good amount per bag compared to what the troop got from BSA popcorn and donations were received in addition to the purchases. My boys had several customers who bought 10 to 15 bags a year since we delivered. I would sometimes put 100 miles on the car after work delivering, I drove the boys loaded and unloaded. It was worth it, they had a deep appreciation for those trips too. I think kids appreciate and take better care of the things they earn themselves, they all bought their own cars and cell phones.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:37 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I think kids appreciate and take better care of the things they earn themselves, they all bought their own cars and cell phones.
I agree 1,000% with this statement. Far too much 'entitlement' mentality out there these days among the munchkins. And it only gets worse as they grow into adulthood.
The following has been attributed to Alexander Fraser Tytler. Pay particular attention to the last line:
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.”
And some wonder why this country is in the mess it's in...
Old 01-26-2021, 10:15 AM
bisco

about the same as many other countries, we'll muddle through like we always do
Old 01-26-2021, 10:27 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

That also follows the old adage, those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Hard to learn from history lately because history is being erased. Trying to teach my two younguns history so they understand, so far my daughter has been doing well with it, my son is just too damned lazy to GAS, and I am at a loss as to what to do with him. I was going through some of my old books and came across a Time/Life book, Prelude to War, World War II. Going to start reading it myself as it pertains to what led up to when Hitler came to power. Will be interesting to see if there are any parallelisms from back then to today.

Problem I have is I wanted them to earn everything they get, but my inlaws insisted on buying them laptops and phones. My daughter takes care of her things and appreciates them, but not my son, and it pisses me off to no end. My wife tried talking to them, didn't help and they just ignore me on the matter. Rock|me|hardplace

Last edited by acdii; 01-26-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:11 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I once fell into a conversation with a bloke who turned up on the flying field with his grandson aged about seventeen who was a very competent r/c pilot who had learned to fly in no time. He appeared to be bringing up the boy for some reason and he was complaining that he had bought him this, that and the other but, "He didn't seem to appreciate the value of money." I replied, "How can he appreciate the value of money if you keep on buying things for him?"

As for people voting for governments "promising the most benefits from the public treasury," well in 1789 in France hardly anyone benefitted from such largesse and very few people had the vote but look what happened then!

To return to aeromodelling matters I put up a post on a French aeromodelling website, La Conférie des Barons, the Brotherhood of Barons in English, describing the loss of my Baron as per Post 9055 and of my intention to build a new fuselage using basswood for the longerons. I have a two Barons. The one with the RAF insignia has basswood longerons. The Russian one was built from a kit and had stock balsa longerons which failed in the crash. Last year I was flying the RAF Baron when the pushrod became detached from the rudder and the model crashed into a drainage ditch by the side of the road. Again, I accept ful responsibility for the crash, some fuel tubing around the clevis would probably have prevented it but while the tailplane had snapped in half, the fuselage with its basswood longerons was unaffected. Having described the wing falling off my Russian Baron on La Conférie Des Barons, I got a variety of sympathetic or bantering responses from assorted Baron enthusiasts but one respondent who called himself Cha Cha was quite assertive in his view that I should use balsa for the longerons and that if you crash it was down to pilot error and that basswood would make the model too heavy etc etc. Capital letters all over the place! I thought to myself, "Who is this idiot telling me what to do with my models when I've already proved the effectiveness of basswood longerons!" I was planning to give him both barrels in response (in French!) once I'd got back fom the flying field yesterday.

It was a bright but cold and windless day at the flying field yesterday afternoon. I'd arranged to take a novice up for a couple of instructional flights and I had one further flight with my vintage double sized Tomboy. In the late afternoon the club's president and best pilot, Roger Aubard turned up. Roger is very well known in French aeromodelling circles having competed in the French National Championships with both gliders and aerobatic models. Kit manufacturers used to send him models to build and fly and he'd write about them in the magazines. We'd all retired to the clubhouse to warm our frozen hands and to have a beer at social distance when I asked Roger whether he knew who this Cha Cha was.

"Oh yes," he replied, "he's Christian Chauzit, the man who designed the Baron!"

Thoughts of giving Cha Cha both barrels evaporated immediately!

Stay safe gentlemen.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 01-26-2021 at 11:38 PM.
bisco (01-27-2021)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.