Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Big A-6 Intruder kit - mfg help please

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Big A-6 Intruder kit - mfg help please

Old 02-11-2017, 08:48 AM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Big A-6 Intruder kit - mfg ID help please

I picked up this big A-6 Intruder kit and need help identifying what manufacturer it was. After searching forums, I suspect it is an old DCU kit, mainly based on the accessories. However, my fuselage measures 115" nose to tail where the DCU info showed theirs as 100". Either way the scale is close, approx range of 1:5.7 to 1:5.5 if my math is right. Makes a Shockwave fuselage look like a pencil. Everything is in great shape, canopy glass even has blue film still on it and I boxed the foam cores for protection until I get to it.

Although not my favorite jet, I maybe interested in building because it is unique and I literally have freedom to do whatever I want inside. Fuselage is a vast cavity, 10" wide nose opening and 25" between each wing root. Obviously it needs carbon reinforcement and bulkheads. Two K210's would easily fit, but then I don't need to get crazy or have it weigh a ton.

CG and landing gear are my biggest concerns...
If it is a DCU (later JetMart) kit, would anyone have any drawings, plans, or CG info available? Also any landing gear options other than Matrix Machine?

Thanks for any info...Scott

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	kitA6 1.jpg
Views:	4108
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	2200556   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitA6 2.jpg
Views:	3635
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	2200557   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitA6 3.jpg
Views:	3613
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	2200558   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitA6 4.jpg
Views:	3576
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	2200559   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitA6 5.jpg
Views:	3592
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	2200560   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitA6 6.jpg
Views:	3583
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	2200561   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitA6 7.jpg
Views:	3566
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	2200562   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitA6 8.jpg
Views:	3641
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	2200563  

Last edited by sc0tt; 02-11-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:16 AM
FenderBean

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Matrix gear makes a set for one about this size. Cool kit waiting for the Xtremearf one.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Scott Douglas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this link...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...-intruder.html

Its many years ago but I seem to remember some of them were slope soarers, maybe even pre-turbine?

I may be mistaken but I think one of the RCU guys...Malcolm Kay might be able to chime in?
Old 02-11-2017, 01:01 PM
myersflyers
My Feedback: (33)

Nice find Scott! This would be welcomed and intriguing build. Are you planning on posting the build process?
Hope your dad is doing well. Tell him I said Hello and hope to see you guys this year at KJ.

Keith
Old 02-11-2017, 06:50 PM
sc0tt

Hey Keith, my Dad's doing well and should be at JOK again this year - look forward to seeing you and your wife again.
So I originally picked up the A-6 about a year ago and it's been in the shadows while I do other things. I've been wanting a big military jet for a while now, but something different. Every time I look at jofunk's A-5 Vigilante thread (like his F9F Panther) I get motivated to do the A-6. Like many, I haven't actually "built" anything in years and getting the bug to do so. I searched all the old forums regarding DCU/Jetmart, Flight of the Intruder movie and that's how I got my basic info.

My build thoughts are more of a "sport" scale jet. Just something cool and to have fun with. My first step is to find landing gear or design my own - that will determine if I proceed with the build. I can't justify the cost of new Matrix Gear for this project. However, if someone happens to have a set of this gear and wants to sell please let me know.
Also still looking for info like CG point and any plans/drawings that may be out there. I'm thinking anything from the Jetmart kit would help.

In the meantime, I did find a nice pic of some A-6 nacelles to help motivate me, lol...
Thanks...Scott

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	A6 girls.jpg
Views:	5746
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	2200621  
Old 02-28-2017, 08:38 AM
Malcolm Kay
My Feedback: (11)

Hey guys Malcolm Jay here , that intruder looks like one of the old models that were produced for the movie "flight of the Intruder" I had one of them about twenty five years ago we used twin ducted fans and .91 I/c motors they gave about twenty pounds of thrust on a good day and the airplane weighed 42 lbs but they flew well due to the massive wing . It was featured in an issue of radio control jets international which I still have some details saved. There were pictures of my daughter Natalie and me holding the plane up to show the scale she was about seven years old now she is thirty three with a son and family of her own ! That's how long ago it was ! Best of luck with the A6 , I sold mine to a guy in Denmark and I don't know what he'd with it .
Old 02-28-2017, 10:54 AM
Scott Douglas

The scary thing is...now I realise how quickly the years pass! I'll check my magazines tomorrow but I think I have it somewhere. Were some not purely pss?
Old 02-28-2017, 04:04 PM
sc0tt

Malcolm, thanks for the info. If you could share any of the details saved from over 2 decades ago it would be appreciated. Any idea what RCJI issue # or month/year the article was in? I'll PM you.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:49 AM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott,

Did anything come of your A6e project from back in 2017?

Last edited by FliteMetal; 03-17-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:54 AM
drfred58809

What about this

https://mibojets.com/product/mibo-a-...der-scale-155/

they may have a gear or more.......

superb jet and excellent movie
Old 03-18-2020, 02:39 PM
FenderBean

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by drfred58809
What about this

https://mibojets.com/product/mibo-a-...der-scale-155/

they may have a gear or more.......

superb jet and excellent movie
been in development for years not an option yet, I wish it was but not yet
Old 03-18-2020, 02:53 PM
sc0tt

FliteMetal - Other than some basic research (mostly gear options) on the big A-6, I haven't started anything. I assume the fuselage in your post is a kit you have found?

drfred58809 - last year I was told the Mibo A-6 is still far from production and making the landing gear being an issue. However, things may have changed by now?

I was also told Matrix could possibly make their old A-6 gear for around 4K on special request - but that gear is really heavy and I'm not going for a super scale project if I do it.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:34 AM
FliteMetal

Scott,

Yes, back in 2013 I acquired a hurricane damaged A6e used in the movie "Flite Of The Intruder". A Houston based FX producer had it stored in Kema, TX when our last hurricane struck. In 2015 we purchased one of the "kits" pulled from the mold for those in movie. Thought there were no more out there. I heard the only one left from the movie crashed somewhere in Europe. According to the last domestic mold owner he sold fixtures and molds to a Pacific Rim company.

Mibo acquired Mike Selby's 1/5 A6e he scratch built for Top Gun...not the 1/5.5 A6e from the "Flite Of The Intruder" movie. As of my last inquiry to Mibo asking them to pull a 1/5 canopy...they have no near term intention to sell the 1/5 A6e. I assume its an issue with expense of the mains.

Obviously I needed a replacement canopy frame and clear sections...

Last edited by FliteMetal; 03-22-2020 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:41 AM
FliteMetal

Scott,

Back before Bob Kress retired as VP of fighter aircraft at Northrop Grumman I asked if I may have a 1/6th CAD plot of the A6e. He had the guys in IT downsize the 1:1 A6f to 1:6 and print it with 3" center to center. A couple of months later I received a "carpet roll"size printout of original plots from nose to tail and across the wing. Back then there was no practical means to power it with consistency. At the time each D/F flight required about an hour of preparation... with tender loving "impatience". I will probably build up the wings on the 1:5.5 instead of foam cores to reduce AUW since I plan to use a pair of JetFan 120's.

Last edited by FliteMetal; 03-22-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:01 AM
stempi12

Hi guys,
I was in MIBO Jets company a month ago and I saw they are still working on the A6E Intruder, I was also talking with Bogo and he said they still have issue with Mains, but he said if everything goes well we can expect first kit in early 2021

Regards
Oskar

Last edited by stempi12; 03-23-2020 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:21 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by FliteMetal
Scott,

Yes, back in 2013 I acquired a hurricane damaged A6e used in the movie "Flite Of The Intruder". A Houston based FX producer had it stored in Kema, TX when our last hurricane struck. In 2015 we purchased one of the "kits" pulled from the mold for those in movie. Thought there were no more out there. I heard the only one left from the movie crashed somewhere in Europe. According to the last domestic mold owner he sold fixtures and molds to a Pacific Rim company.

Mibo acquired Mike Selby's 1/5 A6e he scratch built for Top Gun...not the 1/5.5 A6e from the "Flite Of The Intruder" movie. As of my last inquiry to Mibo asking them to pull a 1/5 canopy...they have no near term intention to sell the 1/5 A6e. I assume its an issue with expense of the mains.

Obviously I needed a replacement canopy frame and clear sections...

Ed,
Why not just splash a mold of what you need and go from there? It shouldn't be all that difficult or time consuming since your fiberglass fuse looks to be in reasonably good condition.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:32 AM
FliteMetal

Thomas,

I am working on mains. So far things look encouraging.

Certainly not going to spend what Matrix quoted for gear.
Will print all non-load bearing parts...about half the weight.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:58 PM
sc0tt

Originally Posted by FliteMetal
Thomas,
...Will print all non-load bearing parts...about half the weight....
Please keep us posted on your A-6 gear work. If you are successful and willing, maybe you could produce and sell a few sets for us with the these old A-6 kits.
At JOK last year I spoke with Woody from Ultimate Jets about their F-4D Skyray gear. Other than the aluminum cylinder and piston it is mainly printed plastic making it incredibly light.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:29 AM
Flite-Metal

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Scott,

Have you decided on what you are going to do for gear? I have looked for Matrix and it appears they are no more.
Not that I was going to chew on $4k of landing gear, I wanted to acquire dims. Do you have dims? The one we
acquired has no accompanying paperwork. I would imagine there was something accompanying these that at
least stated gear dims.

I guess I am going to have to calculate at 5.5. Finding the standing height dims on a real 6 is going to send me to
Pensacola with a tape measure after this virus settles down...I prefer finding dims without having to drive.

Ed
Old 09-12-2020, 12:12 PM
Flite-Metal

The standing length to the pivot point is 14.5" I have been CAD'n through all the parts to be molded in resin. Woody said Oli was printing those in an exotic resin. I am creating an upper and lower down strut with an internal coil over shock to prevent rebounding...the rest of it is resin. Will post CAD pix. The head swivel top piece and the entire drag link are resin since there is no load. All but the down-tubes are resin.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 09-12-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:32 PM
Flite-Metal

Scott,

I expect to have legs available by the end of January 2021.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:55 PM
sc0tt

Ed, thanks for the gear update. What retracts are you planning to use? I was leaning towards Electron or Behotec electric myself. Nothing wrong with pneumatic retracts, but after using electrics in my latest jets I'm not sure I'd go back to air.
I've not been able to find any detailed dimensions for the old Matrix gear. I did find some nice pics with some measurements at the bottom of post #622 in this thread...
1/6th A-6 Intruder Scratch Build
Old 09-13-2020, 05:29 PM
Flite-Metal

Default 1:5.5 Grumman Intruder and Prowler

Scott,

The Matrix weigh a TON:

Tire Diameter: 5.5" (I am using 5"
Main Strut Diameter: 1.38"
Main Inner Strut Dia: 1.00"
Distance of main gear from Pivot point to axle: 14.6"

Since I have changed my password in RCU I have to make 10 posts before I can post images... So much for modern forum technology. They must have been hit with an attack from China..

The down strut is straight up and down...however it must make a partial rotation to get inside the fuselage. I am having three people look at the raw mains to use with electric. The mains must rotate to get in so that eliminates Electron since their gear does not rotate...nor do they do scale gear...only sport jet gear. I have not looked into Behotec. I prefer doing our own since we are going to be supplying gear to go with the A6E, EA6A, and KA6D. All the gear eye candy can be printed then RTV molds made for endothermic resin...Alumilite.

Will post some CAD tomorrow. I'll see if the rear bump stop and fuel dump will post as a .jpg...probably have to wait until tomorrow...we'll see. No, it didn't work :^(

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 09-13-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:44 PM
Flite-Metal

Default A6 cad

So far the cockpit details collected are .stl so they will make the vacuum formed tub in the kitted A6E come alive. A Russian has a complete cockpit in CAD. It was a commission so he can not sell it. I asked if we could have some component elements of it...almost said yes but he had second thoughts. I have the Martin Baker 5 in detailed CAD. Its a shame a pilot covers up all the detail in most jets...the bug eyed canopy on the 6 lets more be seen.

The legend says I have 10 posts...will try to post some of the 6 upgrades. Below is the bump stop, fuel dump, and fuselage below the rudder.

Tada........it let images post Below is the EA6A tail ECM.

Glad it worked... Here's a leg or two.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 09-13-2020 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Images
Old 09-13-2020, 05:54 PM
sc0tt

Ed - sorry for the confusion but I know Electron & Behotec do not make scale gear. And yes Matrix weigh a ton and partly why I never pursued them. When you said you were making "legs" I assumed you were using a standard retract at the top. If you have the drag link do the rotation like the real A-6, Matrix gear and Der Jet Prowler then the retract itself can be a standard 90 deg up/down unit. Der Jet here...

Last edited by sc0tt; 09-13-2020 at 06:07 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.