Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 07:42 PM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So depending on the wine what is the problem?
Old 09-26-2013, 11:17 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always figured that if you actually drank instead of talked,the bottle would be empty..as it should

Fnq and all others reading this thread please answer the following 'old' misconceptions i may have please.If you are running large props at low rpm on small fourstroke saito engines,are'nt they then very heavily loaded and not 'up on the cam',would they not run much hotter yes??
Old 09-26-2013, 11:19 PM
Rudolph Hart

Dave i hear you,used to run castrol r in my lawnmower.Grass never smelt so sweet,had the neighbours using it too till we ran out.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:29 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Pete, i think what you are alluding to could be explained by heat flow characteristics of the engine, I believe they are called "thermodynamics". Part of the reason fourstrokes don't over heat very often is that as a fourstroke it has fewer powerstrokes per minute and when loaded down it has even less powerstrokes per minute even though they are heavier powerstrokes. All I've had so far today is coffee, no wine before 5:00 PM, honest.

Davey, my little .30 has an interesting story in its history. It was one of the first "little .30s made and was a plain Jane one. Bill Robison borrowed it for his Saito Notes, when he sent it back 6 months later it had a black cylinder. He painted it black as joke with some very good paint of some kind, what ever the paint is its tough. When, "Way Out Willie" passed away it become one of my most prized possessions It has spent it entire life hauling Sig LT 25s around turning either a Graupner 10x5.5 or a Graupner 10.5x5, it depends on the grass length, which I use
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito .30 & Bolly 10.5x5.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1925170  
Old 09-27-2013, 07:01 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of performance do you get with the 10 sized props? I was using 9x6's on mine flying a House of Balsa AT-6. It was awesome! Well until I tried to duck under a branch...
Old 09-27-2013, 07:40 AM
Hobbsy

Hopefully I'll get these pictures right.
Picture #1 is Graupner, it says 10,900 ??
Picture #2 is Bolly 10x5.5
Picture #3 is idle, don't know which prop.

Name:	Saito .30 and Grp 10x5.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1925198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito .30 ans Bolly 10.5x5.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1925199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito .30 idle SM.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1925200  
Old 09-27-2013, 10:43 AM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart, the low RPM and big props work well for the time they run. In Texaco the object is to get the best timed run to altitude from a given allocation of fuel. In the case of the 65's in things like Lanzo Bombers (85% scale weighing around 4.5 pound) we are getting a fuel allocation of between 12 and 16 mls of fuel). The object of the tuning for this event is to get the engine to run as lean as possible while still producing enough power to get the model to a good height. For my models (and my mates) this means an RPM range of between 4500 and 5000 RPM for the climb on the 15 inch props we use. The engine runs are usually in the range of between 4 and 6 minutes if we are "spot on" 6 or 7 minutes (rarely seen). Overheating doesn't occure in that time frame because the engines are usually not buried inside tight cowls and the climb to height generally keeps the engine cool.

In fact during winter especially down south we usually have a warming run prior to launch because the engines in this set up are subject to "weak extinguishion" due to the cold fuel killing the glo plug. If you can get to a SAM event in WA I am sure Paul Baartz will give you a practical demo of how this all works. I had trouble understanding it all when I first started in this discipline but it has taught me a lot about engines and a/frames. In this discipline there are "no pretty babies" only the clock is your judge (and jury) and the performance on the day is what counts.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:49 AM
FNQFLYER

My first contact with Castrol R was with a midget speed car (offy powered). I remember that because I used to nick it for mixing with my diesel fuel, good stuff. I am looking for a supply at present as I am for most consumables now I am back in Brisbane. On oils I have some of the HHQ / Saito recommended oil for their gas engines, has any one used it (if so how did it go) and can it be used in our "normal 4 strokes"?
Old 09-27-2013, 10:53 AM
FNQFLYER

For Old Fart, I do currently have a drinking problem, my wine collection along with the fortified stuff I accumulated in WA has still to catch up with me. And since the operation I have been severly restricted any way (until this week) in my access to any form of intoxicating beverage.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:14 PM
DougB1
My Feedback: (11)

Just got a Cub with a Saito 270 twin in it, last user used a 20x8 Zoar which seems fine but what is the opinion of those that have them of what they use.
Thanks
Old 09-28-2013, 03:29 AM
Rudolph Hart

Hi fnq i'm about to get cranky,does that make 59yo people sound 'grumpy'.I don't know if fourstroke model engines come up on the cam like high performance full size ones do,because that is the rpm range i want to tune mine for.Has anyone dyno'd one so you could see if there is a cam profile or am i out of focus.I wish dave would take a photo that is in focus because it screws my reading glasses up.Is anyone here making their own exhaust systems that would be good and the how to as well i already do mine and would like to hear how other people do it too.

ps bathurst is on next week and i hope people here give it a quick glance
Old 09-28-2013, 03:56 AM
Rudolph Hart

Airbleed saito carbs can be so nice if you set them right and God knows i've tried.Both the 182 twin carbys were set well at the factory and in hindsight i should have left them alone,it's down to an overdose of castrol r one night.On a serious note if you have a single fuel line from a large tank via a y joiner to the twin carbies..could the fuel flow 'pulse' between the airbleed carbs? in the lower throttle settings.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:24 AM
Hobbsy

It ain't me Pete, it's that TNC tachermometer, it's just not very photogenic.

Name:	Abitar 120 tach reading (Small).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1925656  
Old 09-28-2013, 05:18 AM
DaveyMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A Response to FNQFLYER

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
So depending on the wine what is the problem?
The problem, is that cork stoppers have been incriminated in wine being tainted by a substance called TCA. This TCA is harmless to human health, but it can really mess with the flavor of your favorite grape tipple. At low levels, it strips a wine of complexity and makes it taste flat and indistinct. At high (detectable) levels, the wine will smell of must or wet cardboard and taste similar to that. How much of a problem is it? Estimates vary widely, but I've drunk from a small collection of wines in my cellar for the past 15 years at about a bottle a week. I can recall three bottles blatantly tainted, and half a dozen that were stripped of flavor.

Wine drinkers noticed this problem starting 25 years ago. For a while, the cork industry (mainly in Portugal) went through denials, studies and PR spin and did nothing about it. Consequently many wine drinkers and producers advocated screw cap closures to solve the problem. If you look around today, you'll see that many producers no longer use cork, particularly in New Zealand, South Africa, and large parts of your home turf there in Australia. Screwcaps are making inroads into the USA also, but more slowly. To its credit, the cork industry got the message and is now greatly reducing the TCA problem, albeit a bit late in the game.

Corks still lead in the wine world, particularly in premium (ageable) wine production and brands where image is important. As for me, I'm agnostic on closure type. I'm glad to see both on the market.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Hobbsy

Speaking of fine, well, something other than fine wine, I stumbled on to a good find yesterday. I was reorganizing things under my main work bench and found a Gallon of the old Power Master fuel in the blue can. It was in between two cans of Davis Diesel fuel, it was a lucky find because I'm down to one gallon of fuel, now I have two. It is 15% nitro and 18% 80/20 syn/castor blend, same the WildCat I use. I talked to Sharon at Fox a couple of days ago, Fox has stopped making fuel and it looks like Sig has stopped too unless I missed something real obvious.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:55 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

What a forum! I learn something new here almost every day, but I never expected to find out why some of my wines have that musty smell.

Originally Posted by DaveyMo
The problem, is that cork stoppers have been incriminated in wine being tainted by a substance called TCA. This TCA is harmless to human health, but it can really mess with the flavor of your favorite grape tipple. At low levels, it strips a wine of complexity and makes it taste flat and indistinct. At high (detectable) levels, the wine will smell of must or wet cardboard and taste similar to that. How much of a problem is it? Estimates vary widely, but I've drunk from a small collection of wines in my cellar for the past 15 years at about a bottle a week. I can recall three bottles blatantly tainted, and half a dozen that were stripped of flavor.

Wine drinkers noticed this problem starting 25 years ago. For a while, the cork industry (mainly in Portugal) went through denials, studies and PR spin and did nothing about it. Consequently many wine drinkers and producers advocated screw cap closures to solve the problem. If you look around today, you'll see that many producers no longer use cork, particularly in New Zealand, South Africa, and large parts of your home turf there in Australia. Screwcaps are making inroads into the USA also, but more slowly. To its credit, the cork industry got the message and is now greatly reducing the TCA problem, albeit a bit late in the game.

Corks still lead in the wine world, particularly in premium (ageable) wine production and brands where image is important. As for me, I'm agnostic on closure type. I'm glad to see both on the market.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Hobbsy

I don't know what the PowerMaster cans look like now under the new ownership but this is from several years ago.

Name:	PowerMaster Can.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	1925674  
Old 09-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Rudolph Hart

You're nearly in focus dave guess i'm on my own re tuning the 182

RC fanatic,when they make a screwtop wine that smells like castrol r and also runs my fourstrokes i'll bulk buy.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Hobbsy

http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Eng...20FA-182T.html

Check this out Pete, should help some.

Pete don't be fooled by the SR battery ad, there is more Saito 1.82 test below it. I got fooled and went hunting.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 09-28-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Rudolph Hart

Thanks for linking that dave it was a good read.It's all low cloud and rain here at the moment and i'm trying to get to the field to do some engine runs.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:14 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart, being grumpy comes with old age according to my grand children and they sent me the tee shirt last year. I am waiting to see what I get next week. On cams, as far as I know our 4 strokes "don't come up n the cam" BUT I do know from experiments done on the OS 61 that that engine benefitted from a cam reprofile. We used the cam out of an OS 90 to get different valve overlaps and combined with 55% nitro and a direct feed carby and I think OS 90 valves it went like the clappers.
One of my projects stalled by the move and buggered shoulder was looking at the various cam profiles used in our Saitos to see about interchangeability and what sort of performance increases we could look for. The our motor bike tuning of exhaust pipe trick didn't give much in the way of performance increase on a 50 or a 65, over just leaving the muffler off that I can tell you for sure. Double valve springs, ensuring the valves seat well, I usually do the kero check here (seat the valves in the cylinder, invert the cylinder over a piece of disposable towel and fill the cylinder with kero, if it leaks more "lapping" is required if not you are good to go. As soon as I can get my hands on an old 65 cylinder I am going to look at valve seat inserts. This won't happen until we move into a house of our own probably the other side of Xmas.
Christian traders make exhaust sections (solid and flexible) for most 4 strokes you could look there for a start with experimenting with a tuned exhaust.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:17 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart The short answer "from my little experience with twins" is yes. The shorter the lines the better it would seem giving the pulse less line length to take effect. Can you change the set up to a single carb?
Old 09-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Rudolph Hart

It's still pissing down so no engine run today and no answers either.Queens birthday as you know so got the day off tomorrow and will try then.The only exhausts i make at the moment are straight shotgun style stainless,from the little i've read on saito owners building/modifying pipes to suit is that the rewards are small.One thing about the shotgun pipes is they sound good,and a bit more 'bassoprofundo' as the nitro gets to 40%.The cam profile thing interests me but would that be a bit hard on the smaller saito cam followers.I thought about doing a better cam for the 220 because it has mushroom shaped cam followers,does that make sense?
I've set the airbleed screws halfway and all going well will get to fly the taylorcraft again tomorrow.Let you know how it goes.

ps did you know dave has a sense of humour??
Old 09-29-2013, 12:56 AM
FNQFLYER

I was going to fly next sunday, but Bathurst is on so one has to rethink. Ansett use to have the only intergrated vertical and horizontal milling machine in the southern hemisphere back in the 70's and the only "large" autoclave (for doimg composite structures". As a consequence I got to meet such lumineries as George Shepard, Frank Gardner and Bill Brown. We got to work on the XU1, XW and XY GTHO's and the Bathurst 350 Monaros and the A9X to name a few. (All volunteer work) and as an F27 engineer I got to travel with the combi F27s that flew support gear to Bathurst for Holden mostly. The upshot of all of this was I ended up with a good grounding in performance engineering and an XY GTHO and a Bathurst 350 and a very depleted bank account (and no girl friend, I had no money to "take her out") Had to give up the lot when first child and house came along along with my model a/c. What has this got to do with Saitos. I got to see (at Bathurst) what I now know was an open rocker Saito 40. It was being flown in a model with that new fangled stuff called propo radio gear. He was a mechanic on the Skyline GTRs being driven by Skaif, mid 80's as I remember. For our american friends, the race is nothing like what it was in the 70's through to mid 90's but never the less a good race. Peter Brock was I believe the master (never to be beaten) of the mountain and the circuit one of the best (if not the best) road circuit in the world.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:01 AM
FNQFLYER

On wine bottles, because I like to be minimal when I go "up country" I generally get screw top wine bottles, removes the need for a cork extractot and thus that weight can be replaced by another bottle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.