Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 06:52 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Dennis,

If you can't get below 2500 rpm at idle, your low end isn't "close enough". You should be able to get it to 2000-2100 without difficulty.

With your transmitter and receiver on, start the engine, get it good and warm and set the high needle to peak RPM-300. Remember this RPM reading. Now bring the engine to idle. Close the low end needle about 1/16 of a turn, throttle up to clear the engine of excess fuel then bring it down to idle and try to close the throttle a little with your throttle trim or your end point adjustment. Bring it down to the point where it just starts to stumble and check the rpm. If it's not low enough repeat the process until you've achieved the proper idle speed. After you've done this several times and achieved a satisfactory idle, go back to the top end and see if you can still achieve the peak RPM-300 that you previously saw. If you cannot get back to the high RPM previously seen, it means that the low end is too lean. Yes, the low end needle does affect the high speed setting.

It's a time consuming process but once you get the needles set you shouldn't have to mess with them.

Bob
Old 09-28-2005, 07:19 AM
IronCross

ORIGINAL: Dennis Flora

Took the ol Super Stearman flyin tonite for a while. I must have the low end pretty colse, it idled nice and smooth for a change, but still does'nt like to run below about 2500 rpm.
I have two of the .72's and I am happy to get 2500 with either of them.. My .56's I can get a lot lower but my .72's just don't like going below 2500 without a onboard glow driver... They are both great running engines though.. I am running 15 percent fuel with an APC 13X6 prop on them..
Old 09-28-2005, 08:19 AM
philfun
My Feedback: (58)

What glow plug come with a new Saito ?

Phil
Old 09-28-2005, 08:46 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

They come with a Hangar 9 Super Plug the latest version looking very OS-f like.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:52 AM
philfun
My Feedback: (58)

Anybody using the big one 2.20 ?

Phil
Old 09-28-2005, 12:00 PM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 56 also, and it will idle down like an old Harley. I have never seen a 72 idle down like most Saito's will. Im curious... has anyone out there got a 72 that will idle down like that ???
And yes, with the glow starter on, it will really idle slow and smooth.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:18 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[b]The FA-72 was the first of the mid block Saito engines to get the really hot valve timing. In the big block it was the FA-120S about 1997-1998.

With these hot cams the idle is cobby, they wont idle the way the older engines with milder cams would. There is no increase in the red line rpm, they just swing more prop at the same rpm.

The only cams currently supplied by Horizon are these wild ones, so as you wear the lobes down and replace the cams all the engines will have the same higher idle.

I am hoarding my milder cams, for me the older cams gave enough power.

Bill.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:49 PM
freeonthree

I wonder if retarding the cam timing a tooth would help ??? How did you find out about the hotter cams ??? Will a 65 cam fit a 72 ???
Old 09-28-2005, 12:58 PM
William Robison

[b]Dennis:

The engine will run with the cam one tooth retarded, but it doesn't have any power that way.

Yes, the FA-65 cam will fit in the FA-72 but again, a major power loss if the 65 is the early one.

If you want to try it, switch the entire cam box assembly, that way you wont have four tappets to worry about mixing up.

Then you can, if you put the 72 cam in the 65, shock everyone with the really hot FA-65.

Bill.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:03 PM
freeonthree

OK, I will admitt, the 72's do run awfully good. My little Super Stearman 40 hauls astroids !!! I feel better now knowing the answer. Where did you find all this cool info ??? Dennis
Old 09-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Hobbsy

He plagiarizes my posts.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:48 PM
bigtroutdog
My Feedback: (2)

Who makes a pitts muffler for a saito 100?
Part # and who sells it.
Thanks
Old 09-28-2005, 01:51 PM
freeonthree

Hobbsy, where did you get the info then ???
Old 09-28-2005, 02:02 PM
Hobbsy

Dennis, I was just "greenin" Bill as Jethro Bodine from the Beverly HillBillies would say. He is the undisputed Saito guru, he even taught me how to say it. Sightow
Old 09-28-2005, 02:10 PM
William Robison

[b] Dennis:

I probably repair more Saito engines in a year than most people will own in their entire lives. With this experience, mixing and matching parts, and perusing replacement parts lists, the information just comes naturally.

I'm happy to share it.

Bill.

PS: Hobbsy and W8YE Jim are also good sources. wr.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:13 PM
William Robison

[b]The correct pronunciation of the name is "Sah-ee-toe." When spoken normally it does sound like "Sigh-Toe."

"Say-Toe" is just WRONG. But it's common.

Bill.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:20 PM
William Robison

[b]BRDog:

Performance Specialties has exhaust parts for the mid block Saito engines, but the items I've checked are about four times the price of the similar parts from Horizon.

I'll leave the part number search to you.

Keeleo Creations will build one to your specification.

Bill.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:31 PM
freeonthree

Well, I call em Saito "saydough" LOL they run great, and their less filling too !!! LMAO
Old 09-28-2005, 02:47 PM
iaclmac

WITH ALL THESE SAITO ENGINES BEING LISTED, WHY DON'T I SEE ANY 100Ti "v" TWINS?????
Old 09-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WR- I can only aspire to be as all-knowing as you! So I figured I'd bounce this one off'n ya.

I am really starting to appreciate what a powerhouse my FA82a is (I LOVE IT), but one thing I really like about the new O.S. 91 Surpass that I have is how it routes the waste oil from the crank breather back to the intake manifold. Would this be feasible for my 82?

On a more basic level, what benefits are realised from this kind of setup, other than the lack of mess?

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2005, 04:06 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

You nailed it. It is the lack of mess.

There would have to be a performance drop, but it is probably so small it is immeasurable. I'm guessing, of course.

I like being able to see the oil that comes out of the crankcase. I check it to see that all is okay. Or, I should say, when all is not okay.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-28-2005, 04:12 PM
IronCross

Makes it real hard to put after run oil in it too if the engine is cowled in... I usually end up blocking it off on the Mags and run the vent out the bottom of the plane... I have read you can pull the glo plug and put oil down the cylinder and it will seep into the crankcase but I hate pulling the plug anymore then I have to also.. To much chance of crossthreading etc...
Old 09-28-2005, 04:22 PM
William Robison

[b]Flycfii:

First, some back ground. The Japs have much tighter emission controls on engines, and they are influencing some Jap manufacturers of model engines. In this country the Eco-Nazis are trying to get all piston engines covered by federal regulations. In California where most of the nuts are already out of the wood work, the CARB has mandated emission standards on lawn equipment - that's why you buy weed eaters there with four stroke engines now.

The case vent going back to the intake is very close to the Positive Crankcase Ventilation on our cars, differing in that auto engine have valving to ensure a constant flow through the case into the intake over and above the amount of piston ring leakage. The model 4s engine vented this way would have only the ring loss to flow back into the engine's intake.

It does have the advantage of catching the oil that would otherwise go onto the plane or the ground, but if you're running a castor blend (as you should be) I really think there's about as much going out the exhaust as out the vent.

The disadvantage is the volume of air from the case will displace an equal or greater (because of temperature expansion) amount of fresh air being taken in, leaving less free oxygen, and not being able to burn as much fuel. This leads of course, to lower power available.

I think it is worth an experiment. Set your Saito up with the recirculation and see how much difference it makes. At the same time, to be fair, plug the recirculation on your OS and see how much power it gains. In both cases you'll have to reset the mixture.

Let us know your results.

Bill.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well now, I didn't say I was actually going to do it... Maybe I will try disabling the O.S. system first, and go from there.

BTW- emissions control on something that displaces less than a cubic inch??? Sounds like some people are trying to justify their existence. In other words, GET A REAL JOB!!! Sheesh.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:27 PM
William Robison

[b]FlCf:

I kid you not. The Eco-Nazis are trying. If they get their way it will be the end of all two-stroke sales nationwide as has already happened on the wrong (left) coast. We may be allowed to run the ones we already have, but even there with the Eco-freaks there's no guarantee.

Who said it had to make sense? The politicos listen to the loudest yells and screams.

Bill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.