Anyone have a clue what this is?

5-shot 100 yard group.

200 yards.
A hamburger ?
Old 12-22-2015, 03:48 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks Barry, I'll gather them up and catalogue them and see what I have.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:05 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Popey i thought you'd be straight on to this one.This round fetches hamburgers and if you put a little red lipstick on the front it just makes the whole deal seem friendlier son

ps sr looks like a 30/30 ackley improved but if you get the shot in focus i'll read it right off the base for you.Does it light your night up?

Dave nice pix.With the old pre mix oils did you notice that if you forgot to shake the bike from side to side after it had sat for a while it would oil up the plug?

Last edited by Rudolph Hart; 12-22-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:22 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Popey i thought you'd be straight on to this one.This round fetches hamburgers and if you put a little red lipstick on the front it just makes the whole deal seem friendlier son

ps sr looks like a 30/30 ackley improved but if you get the shot in focus i'll read it right off the base for you.Does it light your night up?

Dave nice pix.With the old pre mix oils did you notice that if you forgot to shake the bike from side to side after it had sat for a while it would oil up the plug?
With a bit of luck Tele might think its a long lost girlfriend and give it a kiss and it will go off like no girlfriend he's had before . Have a good x-mas bud ! Cheers
Old 12-22-2015, 06:43 PM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Old Fart

Compare the size of the primer to the case head as well as the size of the bullet holes to the dime. It is a "wildcat" cartridge & IF you could read the head stamp you would see the remnants of a "22 Hornet" headstamp, but it is neither a hornet based cartridge nor a .22.

HINT: The rifle it is chambered for was produced by Remington for just a few years in the early '70s.

Here is an important piece of the puzzle.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:31 AM
Rudolph Hart

Well sr the two rounds in the top photo are nicely trimmed and crimped.

You too popey and mate while i'm at it don't hold a vegetarian bbq at xmas over here,you can offer free alcohol and your mates still won't turn up no matter how much the handbrake beats them over the head like ruth buzzi used to do on the dean martin roasts whoever the poor so and so was.I'm going back to outside xmas bbq's with snags and steaks on a red hot plate with some degummed castor oil down first,that way even if you get carried away drinking and carbonize all the meat it don't stick to the grill.

Got the 115 out of the midget for a quick look at the fuel system.ps sr did you get the cub in the air with the 115 yet?
Old 12-23-2015, 04:26 AM
Hobbsy

Pete, even when I was very young I knew how to look for and find things that work better. I ran Mercury outboard oil in all those two stroke bikes even in my MAICO. You could let my MAICO idle until juice was running out of the stinger and it would simply rev up go. No fouled plugs, ever. On Full Bore Racing oil it would foul the plug within 50'

Last edited by Hobbsy; 12-23-2015 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:50 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Dave, FormerDairyFarmer
Pet, even when I was very young I knew how to look for and find things that work better. I ran Mercury outboard oil in all those two stroke bikes even in my MAICO. You could let my MAICO idle until juice was running out of the stinger and it would simply rev up go. No fouled plugs, ever. On Full Bore Racing oil it would foul the plug within 50'
After pulling the head of a extremely low hours 650 BSA engine & finding all of the carbon left by burning Sunoco 260, I switched to AMOCO unleaded premium which was available in the late '60s.

Unleaded gas is one of the best things that ever happened to the internal combustion engine as far as engine longevity. (once engine technology caught up) AMOCO unleaded ran fine in the Beezer but I found that the steel valve guides of Harley big twins needed a bit of Marvel Mystery oil for proper lubrication.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:53 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 274 Likes on 239 Posts

Since I may not be online the next few Merry Christmas you old reprobates!!!
Old 12-23-2015, 06:01 AM
Hobbsy

Same to you too, Fly.

Dan I have a small Gulf station about 9 miles from here that is in an agricultural area and sells ethanol free gas. Great stuff. My old 95 302 with 207,000 miles runs as if it has 20 more hp, no kiddin.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:07 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by spaceworm
I think they are Teflon tipped "armor" piercing bullets, capable of penetrating bullet proof vests, and illegal in most jurisdictions. But, I could be very wrong, maybe they are just toy plastic play bullets. Or, they could be these:

"Teflon tipped ammo capable of penetrating bullet proof vests" are a myth Just about any rifle round will penetrate a bullet "resistant" vest anyway. A round from a full power battle rifle round (not the weak assault rifle rounds) would likely kill someone wearing a bullet resistant vest even if it did "stop" the bullet. A 7.62 NATO round has over a TON of impact energy.

On the contrary, "polymer tipped" bullets are the exact opposite, designed for rapid expansion on impact for quick humane kills on game. FMJ (full metal jacket) bullets are banned for hunting medium/big game due to their poor performance resulting in high rates of wounding W/O recovery. FMJ bullets are mandated by international law for military use to reduce the severity of wounds.

The bullets you posted are not tipped with anything but have the noses painted to identify them as tracer rounds.Tracer rounds have phosphorous or other chemicals in the bullet base that ignite on firing leaving the visible trace.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:14 AM
SrTelemaster150

Same to you too, Fly.

Dan I have a small Gulf station about 9 miles from here that is in an agricultural area and sells ethanol free gas. Great stuff. My old 95 302 with 207,000 miles runs as if it has 20 more hp, no kiddin.
Ethanol free gas is available here now, but it is only available in 91 octane which is a waste of $$$$. I only use it all the time in my Honda generator & my gardening equipment. I use regular 10% ethanol in my tractor/mower until the end of the season then switch to the horribly expensive ethanol free near the end. The only ill affects I have seen form 1-% ethanol is when I store the equipment & it sucks up water.

My Charger made slightly more HP on the 10% ethanol when it was turned up. Guys have been modifying the Gen III Hemis to run on E-85. Compression can be boosted to over 14:1 on E-85. Regular 91 octane unleaded with or without ethanol is limited to about 10.5:1 CR.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:14 AM
FlyerInOKC

Black tipped are armor piercing. The old M-1 Carbine used a FMJ cartridge with a rounded tip it would pass clean thru you and get the guy behind you. A round that passes thru doesn't do as much damage as one that starts to tumble and fragment. Check out this article written by a former Special Ops doctor. Warning the pictures are a might gory.

http://sofrep.com/45197/why-id-rathe...47-than-an-m4/
Old 12-23-2015, 06:17 AM
FlyerInOKC

My car runs find on E-10 but my Honda lawnmower specifies no alcohol so it gets 87 octane unleaded. Fortunately both are easy to find around here and it isn't unusual to find stations offering both.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:14 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Black tipped are armor piercing. The old M-1 Carbine used a FMJ cartridge with a rounded tip it would pass clean thru you and get the guy behind you. A round that passes thru doesn't do as much damage as one that starts to tumble and fragment. Check out this article written by a former Special Ops doctor. Warning the pictures are a might gory.

http://sofrep.com/45197/why-id-rathe...47-than-an-m4/
A "full power" .308 bullet with a polymer tio is far worse tha a FMJ 5.56 or AK-47.

WARNING, VERY GRAPHIC PICTURES!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...pswytoutvr.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...psw7d9b5td.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...psjbnzznnd.jpg
Old 12-23-2015, 07:44 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

There is a station by my work that sells E Free 91, and since I have an Ecoboosted F150 I use that in the summer. I gain about 2 MPG over the other stuff, with a tune of course. During the winter though, the crap blends they use drop MPG no matter which one you use, so I detune and use 87. I have been puzzled for the longest time on why the Ecoboost doesn't run on E-85. You would think with the turbos and high compression, it would be the ideal fuel.

FMJ bullets are mandated by international law for military use to reduce the severity of wounds.
Thats irony right there, War use. The whole point of war is to kill the enemy. So we go up against Taliban and now ISIS with our puny FMJ, and they go against us with IMD and RPG.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:52 AM
Hobbsy

The Gulf I get is 89, it even works well in my Sporty which supposedly requires 91.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:53 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by acdii
There is a station by my work that sells E Free 91, and since I have an Ecoboosted F150 I use that in the summer. I gain about 2 MPG over the other stuff, with a tune of course. During the winter though, the crap blends they use drop MPG no matter which one you use, so I detune and use 87. I have been puzzled for the longest time on why the Ecoboost doesn't run on E-85. You would think with the turbos and high compression, it would be the ideal fuel.

Thats irony right there, War use. The whole point of war is to kill the enemy. So we go up against Taliban and now ISIS with our puny FMJ, and they go against us with IMD and RPG.
Alcohol will make more power at the expense of fuel economy.

The eco-boost would work with E-85 if the fuel injectors could be scaled for the much richer A/F ratio required.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:55 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by acdii

Just be glad they aren't using expanding bullets in their AK-47s.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:48 AM
FlyerInOKC

The dirty little secret of alcohol is the amount of energy expelled to create it vs. the amount you get back out it. The only reason we have such a push to add alcohol to gasoline is political reasons not for any scientific reason. The feds are requiring an increase to E-15 in spite warnings from the automobile manufacturers it will damage the majority of automobiles currently on the road.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:32 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
"Teflon tipped ammo capable of penetrating bullet proof vests" are a myth Just about any rifle round will penetrate a bullet "resistant" vest anyway. A round from a full power battle rifle round (not the weak assault rifle rounds) would likely kill someone wearing a bullet resistant vest even if it did "stop" the bullet. A 7.62 NATO round has over a TON of impact energy.

On the contrary, "polymer tipped" bullets are the exact opposite, designed for rapid expansion on impact for quick humane kills on game. FMJ (full metal jacket) bullets are banned for hunting medium/big game due to their poor performance resulting in high rates of wounding W/O recovery. FMJ bullets are mandated by international law for military use to reduce the severity of wounds.

The bullets you posted are not tipped with anything but have the noses painted to identify them as tracer rounds.Tracer rounds have phosphorous or other chemicals in the bullet base that ignite on firing leaving the visible trace.
I knew that you know what you said and I figured you were just playing with us. Thanks for the correction and information. Merry Christmas to All Ya-All and All of Yours also.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:06 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
The dirty little secret of alcohol is the amount of energy expelled to create it vs. the amount you get back out it. The only reason we have such a push to add alcohol to gasoline is political reasons not for any scientific reason. The feds are requiring an increase to E-15 in spite warnings from the automobile manufacturers it will damage the majority of automobiles currently on the road.
You can thank the farm lobby for that. They were pushing "gasahol" way back in the late '80s in the Midwest.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:40 AM
FlyerInOKC

Yeah, and I think they killed the Sawgrass alcohol development too. Sawgrass alcohol is cheaper to produce and has higher BTUs then corm alcohol. It can't be used as a food either so there isn't the demand to drive up the cost.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:03 AM
Hobbsy

Yo Richard, I just joined your Club in Fredericksbug this AM, I'm looking forward to flying where there is more room. Saitos need lots of room.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:31 AM
spaceworm

Yo Richard, I just joined your Club in Fredericksbug this AM, I'm looking forward to flying where there is more room. Saitos need lots of room.
Good for you.. I am confident you will enjoy the club, its' field and the events it holds. I only wish I were back there to enjoy it also. These North woods do not do the hobby justice with their limited flying season and lacking fields.

BTW, the Farmall I finally got pictures of and sent to you is no longer there. Maybe it will appear again in the spring.

Merry Christmas to You and Yours.

Sincerely, Richard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.