Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 06:49 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

dvr, i think Bill may be right, i tried a little 30 % accidentally and my 180 ran like crap at full throttle, and when i got the 15% back in her she calmed down and ran great, i had people standing around that saw this and couldnt beleive the difference, now my 100 loves 30%, but i wont run it in my saitos anymore, (unless thats all i can get and add a little castor).....

Citabria, to get afo in my saitos i just squeeze it in the crankcase tube for a few seconds and then tip my bottle to where the air get going and push it in with air, it dont come back out in any quanity, it all stays in, then crank it over with a E-starter and it spreads inside well
Old 06-05-2006, 07:14 PM
T28RON
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill: I received my carb manafold today for the 180 and there was no aluminum washer with it and there is none in the engine port. I happen to have a very very thin copper washer that is the exact same size and fits perfect with the same dia for both the port hole and the Manafold Flange ( for lack of a better word ). Do you see any harm in useing it? Thanks.

Ron
Old 06-05-2006, 07:26 PM
T28RON

Gary: What a great idea: I wonder if that would work on my Moki 210 inverted. I have to prime the heck out of it to start and loose a lot of fuel that backs out of the carb. What do you think?

Ron [img][/img]
Old 06-05-2006, 07:38 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ron:

With two conditions the copper washer should work. One is that it must be very thin, the original is only 0.012" thick, and two is that it must be very well annealed - just as soft as it an be to conform and make a good seal.

Copper hardens when it's worked, so I wouldn't use it the second time without re-annealing it.

Did you call Dennis Davenport? I'd do that before using the copper.

Bill.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:58 PM
T28RON

Bill: The copper is the same thickness. I can and will anneal it. Who is Dennis Carpenter? Thanks

Ron
Old 06-05-2006, 09:11 PM
William Robison

Ron:

Dennis DAVENPORT is the "Good Guy" at Horizon on Saito parts.

Bill.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:24 PM
T28RON

OK. Now I remeber the name. Thanks. I will call tomorrow. You are very knowledgeble with the Saito's, did you work for them at one time?

Ron
Old 06-05-2006, 09:58 PM
William Robison

Ron:

I work for Horizon and Saito just the same way you do - I send them my money, they send stuff back to me. I have never been an employee of any hobby related company. Just given them a LOT ofmy money.

Bill.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:04 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: loughbd

Bill you said that when I got off moderated status I could be a member?? What happened?
What is moderated status [sm=confused.gif]
Old 06-05-2006, 11:18 PM
loughbd
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's what happens when you disagree with a couple of the forum moderators. They get to "approve" every post you make and half the time they don't. They also edit half of what you write.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:18 PM
William Robison

JP:

Moderated Status?

When you're a bad boy and get the mods irritated they will set a flag on your user name, and then when you post it wont appear in the thread until a moderator approves it.

Bill.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:43 PM
T28RON

Great answer. I like you have given alot of money for the Ron cause and part of that relates to teaching others. I spent the last 3 years on ebay as a seller of resale RC products. I used to buy by the truck loads, spent many sleepless nights fixing repairing and teaching the art of how to crash. I have purchased over 300 tractors and flew most of them ready for resale. No I am not an expert flyer and am old fashion when it comes to kit building however am converting relativley easy to the ARFs. I very much like the building and designing part of this sport. I am persently working on the Jerry Bates SBD5 Dauntless 1/6 scale and the Dave Platt T-28 Trojen 1/6 scale. I am alittle partial to the T-28 as I flew them in the Navy for a short jaunt. One of my specialty's is converting 2 stroke weed thrashers to plane engines. There is just something about the smell and sound of fuel powered planes. I was a private pilot for 35 years and have been in this sport for 15 years and wish I had started 40 years ago. Times getting short for me so I am trying to cram as much into my life as possible. Not trying to toot my horn just telling you a little about myself and why I ask a lot of Questions. I am addicted to the sport and hobby.

Ron.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:15 AM
loughbd
Banned

If disagreeing with the powers that be is being bad, I guess that's true. Disagreeing is argumentative to them and that's bad.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:42 AM
Thunderchild

ORIGINAL: William Robison

wingy:

I suspect you went lean. The drip from the fueling valve could also let air in when the engine is running. No, you say, you’re running muffler pressure. Well sir, at low throttle settings there is no muffler pressure. It only comes in with high power, when there’s a lot of air flowing through the engine. It’s a good idea to try it without the cowl, but try it without the fueling valve too.

A fully run in Saito is seldom damaged by overheating, so go ahead and try it. If it ran well on the first flight as you say, the cam wont be out of time.

I have put you in as Club Saito number 298. Welcome.
- - - - - -
TC:

Did you get the FA-325R5 or the later FA-325R5A? The later one has two plugs per cylinder, easy to tell them apart.

Any Saito will run well with no nitro, but the idle will suffer, and the later engines wont deliver full power without it. Even the older “High Compression” engines like about 15% nitro. At least mine seem happier with it.

With the five cylinder engine you can probably get a good idle with no nitro, certainly with 5% mix the idle would be fine. From that point it’s deciding if you want more power. But a warning. The more nitro the worse the fuel economy, you don’t want to burn a half gallon every time you start the engine. And even on 5% it’s going to use a lot.

“Round and Rattley? Nah. Your Saito radial is really pretty quiet. If you want to her a noisy one find an old Kinner engine. Fresh out of overhaul the mechanical clatter drowns out the exhaust.

Bill.
Hi Bill,

Sorry, been on holiday and just back to a computer. Gee you leave for a few days and and you're all of a sudden pages behind!!! I'm catching up though.

Bill, I have the 325R5A, the double spark plug model (10 plugs in all) and she looks just beautiful. Thanks for the info re nitro - just curious.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:22 AM
JettPilot

Most people in this country claim to support free speech, etc. etc. until its them in control, then the turn into petty dictators. Power corrupts. I hate censorship and all that it represents.

JettPilot
Old 06-06-2006, 12:11 PM
William Robison

All:

Free speech is one thing, a privately owned forum is another entirely. Any posting here is analogous to a letter to the editor of a newspaper. When you write the letter it is published or not at the pleasure of the editor; if your letter is not printed it is not an abridgement of free speech.

Management of a forum such as this, is the editor. We contribute at their pleasure, if our letters usually offend them we either get put on moderated status, or in extreme cases we get banned from the forum.

Free speech just plain does not apply.

Bill.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:19 PM
T28RON

Thanks for that Bill: I should have read the rules prior to joining the club. My bad.

Ron
Old 06-06-2006, 12:54 PM
JettPilot

ORIGINAL: William Robison

All:

Free speech is one thing, a privately owned forum is another entirely.....
Free speech just plain does not apply.

Bill.
This forum is advertised as a place for people to come and talk RC etc. Even though its privtely owned, its not exactly "private", they try to get as many to come and participate as they can. So its not exactly a priate place, they have made it a public forum.

Bottom line people always claim to support free speech, as long is it suits them, because its the politically correct thing to do. You either support free speech and practice it, or you claim to support free speech while doing something else. Actions speek louder than words.

Just because someone has the ability to censor, does not make it the right thing to do. That goes against everything we as free people stand for.

JettPilot
Old 06-06-2006, 02:05 PM
William Robison

Jett:

Your point is good, but it’s not directly applicable.

Marc Vigod and company are trying to keep this a “Family Friendly” site, vulgarity and obscenity would drive many people away. Would you give your eight year old daughter a subscription to Hustler? Assuming you have one of course, but you get the idea.

Also, if a person is constantly complaining, telling other users they are spouting bull, and sometimes when a user makes nothing but one or two word posts saying only “Right on!” or similar – doing nothing but taking up space – we don’t need these either.

Bill.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:18 PM
loughbd
Banned

Disagreeing to what another poster wrote and a subscription to Hustler are just a tad different. I never used obscenities, vulgarities, or any other thing. What got me moderated was saying that I wouldn't buy anything from the Chicoms (communist Chinese). I spent too long in the military to support our enemies by supporting their economy. This constituted political speech and I guess that is a no no. Let's hope this doesn't get me put back on moderated staus again.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Back to Saitos please, Thanks
Old 06-06-2006, 03:44 PM
T28RON

Bill: I don't see where anyone fell with in the catagory you just mentioned. I realize that you are knowledgeble however I belive that if what we are stateing or ask relates to the sport with out the vulgarity or moral perpitude than we should have the right to make opinions. That is what makes us smarter when someone answers your Q or replies to the statements. This site sounds to me like it is a dictatership rather than a family of people trying to resolve mechanical issues. Please remove me from the Club Saito.

Ron
Old 06-06-2006, 03:53 PM
William Robison

For all who are interested:

I have found a part number for the rocker shaft thrust washers on the big block engines. It is SAI120S37 - still supplied for the FA-450R3 engine.

For the smaller engines you can get the SAI170R37 which includes three sets, or the SAI325R37 to get five sets. Both include other washers as well – stock up.

Bill.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:55 PM
William Robison

Ron:

You have never seen any of your sort of post removed. It is not done. You seldom see the objectionable posts because they are tanked as soon as a mod sees them, usually it’s done pretty quickly.

Loughbd just had one tanked here, he made a comment disparaging Red China. Political comments are another category that is not allowed.

Politics and religion are among the few categories that lead to heated arguments and ill feelings, for this reason they are not allowed. If you review the posting guidelines you’ll see the exclusions.

You have had some posts tanked also – in the OS support forum. This is also covered in the rules, all answers in any support forum have to come from the person running it. A new comment or question has to be a new thread there.

This is the big difference between “Club Saito” and what would hold if it were a “Proper” support forum. Here, everybody is welcome to join in.

RCU’s posting rules are intended to keep the conversation on the same level desired in a polite meeting of mixed company. Only this and nothing more.

You are one of the valued members here, I hope you will reconsider your request to be struck off the roll.

Bill.

PS: I was going to send this in a PM, but I decided it would be of interest to all. wr.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:41 PM
loughbd
Banned

Bill, the last time I checked Red China, as you call it, was a Communist country and as I recall we spent 40 years in a cold war against communists. That, to me, makes them an enemy of capitalism. We are a capitalist society so you tell me what that makes the communist Chinese?? I also said I spent thirty years in the military during the cold war. They sure weren't our friends then. If I'm wrong, then I apologize to all and any I may have offended.

Bruce L.

ICC(SS) USN ret.

Am I to assume that negative remarks about North Korea, Fidel Castro, Saddam Hussein, Nazi Germany, Imperial Japan, the Soviet Union, Iran, and Facist Italy are out of line too? How about the Ku Klux Klan, Neo Nazis, Skinheads, etc???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.