Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Tom Jones
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Thanks for the listing, bill. My Dad was a full blooded Welchman, my mom mostly German. The movie had been out for a little while when I was going through "Rush" in college. It opened several doors and eased a lot of tensions on my part. Anyway , it has been fun. I was named after my grandad and great grandad. Back to the thread. Tom
Old 10-04-2005, 07:16 AM
locolobot

I have built racks in the garage out of the adjustable shelving from Home Depot. I just attach the wings and slide the plane on the rack. I store 2 planes above the storage cabinets that line the walls. The small electrics are laying on the top of the refrigerator and the top of the freezer is my work bench. Make sense I will take some pictures if you would like to see it. Tried to post one here but can't seem to get it in the reply. If they appear look in the background and you will see some of the planes. Still have 5 in boxes to build. I love the building aspect of this hobby and since I have become a fairly decent flier , am not wrecking them quite as much . Largets I have is 2 quarter scale models. A Creek Hobbies Katana and a Grea Planes Ryan Sta M.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74294.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	333820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd43724.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	333821  
Old 10-04-2005, 11:23 AM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice Jack, I also see you have the same Cessna I have. I can't wait to get er done. My friend Greg dumbthumbed a little too close to the ground, and then gave it to me. I will put a Saito 72 on it. She's almost done..... Dennis
Old 10-04-2005, 11:29 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[b]locolobot:

You've made the list, number 72,

Curious. Is the "lobot" part short for lobotomy? Or is the whole thing supposed to be carzy wolf as in "Loco lobo," with the "T" added to be a play on "Robot" which would make the entire thing "Crazy mechanical wolf?" As I said, I'm curious.

Bill.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:13 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mr. Robison- Got a good one for you.

Brand new, straight out of the box .91 Saito; bolted up to the plane (Bristol monoplane, not that it matters), on a work stand, getting ready to fire it up for 1st time and start break-in. 13-8 MA prop.

Glow charger is good. Attached to engine. Fuel tank is full, correctly connected, pressure tap from exhaust also correctly connected. Needle out two full turns.

Spin engine with electric starter, it immediately fires, but makes little power, spitting mass quantities of fuel back through carb. Sounds like it is running backwards, but it is not. Engine is set at half throttle.

I left out one detail, it would tell you what is wrong. Can you guess? I'll tell you later, but you'll probably know what the problem is, but not why. Ken, Memba Numba 2
Old 10-04-2005, 03:20 PM
William Robison

[b]KH:

I'd have checked is the valve clearance before attempting a start, so for me that would not be the problem. But you could have a tight valve.

As you describe the engine run, apart from your error of not checking valve lash, my guess would be this is one of the engines that came from the factory with the cam one tooth out of time. Rare, but it's been seen before.

Bill.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:41 PM
locolobot

LOCO because I am a little crazy especially when it comes to this hobby. LOBO because the wolf is my half brother (according to legend but who believes those things) and the T because I am electrically and mechanically inclined and always tinkering around with something to either make it better or do something entirely different. Hope that answers your question Billl.

Now Dennis , On the Cessna you may find that the Saito 70 will over power the plane. I had an OS 70 four stroke on mine and had to reduce the engine size because of overpowering the model. I am now running a magnum 61 four stroke on mine and it takes off and flies scale like which is what I was after. If you want the model more acrobatic the 70 will do it .

I am including a picture of my P-47 with a color change. Did not like the camo it came in. Also I am including a picture of a VEMAR EDGE 540 with a slight color change and a few other modifications.

Name:	Zx72487.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	333977   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98452.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	333978  
Old 10-04-2005, 05:56 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: William Robison

[b]KH:

I'd have checked is the valve clearance before attempting a start, so for me that would not be the problem. But you could have a tight valve.

As you describe the engine run, apart from your error of not checking valve lash, my guess would be this is one of the engines that came from the factory with the cam one tooth out of time. Rare, but it's been seen before.

Bill.
AAAANNNNNNCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK---WRONG!

This actually occurred yesterday while I was at the field. One of our pals had heard all us Saito fans rant and rave about how great these engines are, he has been flying .40 size 2-strokes for a couple of years, and wanted to "move up", so he bought this .91S ( I also have one I haven't started yet).

I have never considered checking valve lash prior to a new start-up; I guess I have ultimate faith in Saito's quality control. My first impression when I saw the engine misbehaving was much the same as yours--I thought it had jumped valve timing. There was too much fuel (spraying out the carb and too much power (although not nearly enough) in my mind for it to be the cause, though.

Now, for the withheld detail. When the engine quit, fuel quit spraying out of the carb but kept POURING out of the carb for about 5 seconds before trickling to a drip. (engine is inverted, BTW) and the owner said he could not feel any exhaust at the muffler tipwhen the engine was running.

DING-DING-DING-DING--------I took a wrench and removed the muffler (one of the new style cast ones) held my finger over the pressure tap, and blew on it from the manifold end.......NOTHING. Took the tiny nut off the rod that holds the muffler end on, and removed the end of the muffler. I was expecting some trash or plastic packaging maybe had plugged the outlet, but NOOOOOO!!

The end plate that has about 6 holes for the gasses to pass through before exiting the single hole in the end HAD NOT BEEN DRILLED. There were six "dimples" in the casting, but no machine work at all. So essentailly, the muffler was a dead-ended chamber, the only outlet being the pressure tap. This was allowing enough exhaust out to permit the engine to run, but seriuosly pressurizing the tank, causing the massive amounts of fuel to spray out the carb, and forcing fuel to continue to pour from residual pressure after the engine quit. I'm amazed 1- that the engine would even run at all, and 2- that the pressure did not blow the fuel line or pressure tap line off their respective nipples.

One of the guys there had the muffler from his 1.00 Saito there; we swapped them out, and the .91 purred like a .....SaitoOur unfortunate owner plans to just drill the holes rather than return the muffler, just because it's a simple fix and doesn't want to have to wait. He's using the other muffler to measure the holes.

So much for my ultimate faith in Saito's quality control, I guess, but I'll still never own another brand of glow engine. Wasn't that Odd?
Old 10-04-2005, 07:29 PM
av8r1

On the subject of running backwards, my .82 has always tended to do this. I have been a flip starter with all my 2-strokes, never using an electric starter. They would sometimes start backwards if I overprimed them, but after a couple of tries would go the right way. This .82 has made me a regular user of the electric starter. It would typically start backwards every time after the initial break in. A couple of retries would usually get it going on the first flight in a flying session, maybe the second flight too, but after that no amount of flipping would seem to get it to run the right way, only an electric starter would do it. I even tried flipping it clockwise to bounce it off the compression and it would still run the wrong way. I start the 2-strokes like this all the time too. It has even started backwards a time or two with the electric starter, probably due to my inexperience with using that method.

Is this an indication of a problem with the engine?
Old 10-04-2005, 07:53 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

av8r1,

Try getting the engine dripping wet, set the throttle to high idle and using a fully charged glow driver, flick the prop CW against compression. If you don't pull it through it should start in the CCW direction. I have found that after most engines loosen up you can just snap your fingers CW on the spinner and the engine will start CCW.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

OK, WR, I just added this guy to my Saito stable, I believe this is #14

Name:	Eb86968.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	334111  
Old 10-04-2005, 08:42 PM
dammitman
My Feedback: (15)

well, i did a quick scan thru the first 10 pages of this thread and didnt see anyone have what i have. only one saito here but had it for about a year now. its a FA80T. it seemed perfectly suited for my goldberg cub. just about done now and it sure looks sweeeeet! its never been fired up ever, brand new. one bad thing i know is that after calling horizon with just a question they told me there were no parts available at all for this engine anymore so they said "dont crash",,,,,,, any info about running and tuning characteristics of this engine good or bad would be appreciated.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:03 PM
William Robison

[b]Dave:

That one's older than you are. Still a good engine, If it's the one I think it is you can hop it up a fair bit by installing a SAI30S35 cam shaft.

Bill.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:07 PM
William Robison

[b]AV:

For me the best cold starting method is sloppy wet prime, 1/4 throttle, then just a touch with the starter. Let it run at 1/4 throttle for 20-30 seconds to warm, then it's fine for the rest of the day.

Bill.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:12 PM
William Robison

[b]DIMan:

Basicly, what Horizon said about your engine is correct. IF you bought it a year ago, even if it was NIB it was already an old engine.

Don't despair, the manual for the FA-100T and the FA-90T apply in everythig but the numbers. Note, this is NOT the FA-90TS which is a different design.

And there are still a lot of parts that will fit from current engines.

But don't crash it.

Bill.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:14 PM
dammitman
My Feedback: (15)

[b]A lot of planes?

I can not use my dining table to eat, it's covered with planes. Even if I cleared them from the top I still couldn't put my feet under, there are more planes on the floor. Wings leaning up in the corners, more against the wall next to the microwave, planes on the window ledges. I even have seven planes in my front room, and wings hanging on the wall in the hall.

Don't even ask about the room that was supposed to be my shop...

Bill.
boy, i sure feel better looking at my dining table now, i cant eat there either,,,,too much palne stuff,,,,the good part is my son doesnt care about that!!!!
any good suggestions for a saito twin or radial for a seamaster delux 120? i was thinking either the 182 twin or the 170 radial,,,,,
Old 10-04-2005, 09:15 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks Bill, I'll get back with you on that. I have a .40 that looks very similar, even though it has a straight pipe you hear the propeller swish when it is idling.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:50 PM
William Robison

Dave:

This will give you an idea. Late style cam on the left, the old milder than mild cam on the right.

Bill.

Name:	Qo39974.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	334168  
Old 10-04-2005, 10:14 PM
William Robison

darnitman:

You are now on the list as number 73, and I even used your spelling. I'll keep using "Darn it man" if you don't mind.

I'd be far more inclined to use the FA-182T than the FA-170R3 on the Seamaster. For one thing, the twin will cowl a lot more easily and look more like a modern "Real" plane than the radial, and three cylinder radials in full size planes were never in the least common. To me a three cylinder radial just doesn't look right. But the threes are a lot less expensive than the five and seven cylinder "Model" radials. Also often easier to get, too. I've had a pair of seven cylinder radials on order for four years, Marc Linville keeps saying "Real soon, now."

Now if you want a monster model, buy two of these and build a huge Tigercat to fly them on. No, your eyes are not telling a lie. 14 cylinders.

Bill.

Name:	Ki19538.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	334185  
Old 10-04-2005, 10:52 PM
av8r1

ORIGINAL: Skypilot_one

av8r1,

Try getting the engine dripping wet, set the throttle to high idle and using a fully charged glow driver, flick the prop CW against compression. If you don't pull it through it should start in the CCW direction. I have found that after most engines loosen up you can just snap your fingers CW on the spinner and the engine will start CCW.
That's what I tried and what I do with the 2-strokes with one exception: the high idle. I'll have to try that. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:56 PM
av8r1

[b]AV:

For me the best cold starting method is sloppy wet prime, 1/4 throttle, then just a touch with the starter. Let it run at 1/4 throttle for 20-30 seconds to warm, then it's fine for the rest of the day.

Bill.

Thanks Bill. I've been starting at idle. I'll have to try bumping it up a bit.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:27 AM
Strawhat Mike

ORIGINAL: Dennis Flora

Not that you have to, but I run my cranckcase vent hoses thru the fuse, all the way to the rear, and out the back by the tail wheel. Zero oil on the plane !!! And that's a good thing...
I thought I read somewhere that it's a bad idea to have more than a few inches of tubing on the crankcase vent, because you end up creating inadvertent back pressure where there should be none. True?

While I'm at it guys, please accept my application for membership. I have an .82a in my Funtana, with another on the way. By the way, always wondered what the significance of the "a" is....???

Lastly, kudo's to Horizon for really terrific support on a previous Saito .72 that blew a connecting rod.

-- Mike
Old 10-05-2005, 08:19 AM
William Robison

[b]Mike:

While it's true that flow restriction varies with the length of a hose or pipe, I've never seen any engine run problems with a longer vent hose. Too short is to be avoided, that allows reverse flow drawing dust/trash from the free air back into the case.

Like your user namje. Clever. #74 is "B. Wildered."

Bill.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:39 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I have 3 100's, a 91, 2 56's and a 65. Love them all!!
Old 10-05-2005, 08:20 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my second Saito this past week a 1.50s. I have been flying a Twist all summer with a .72. It took a while for me to get the .72 running properly but is has become one of my favorite engines. I can't wait to see how the larger engine runs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.