Old 04-25-2019, 03:19 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Pretty slick tool, and you're welcome.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:30 AM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

Re marking engine mounting bolts: For plastic mounts I use thin double sided tape to hold the engine in position and use a perfect sized drill to mark. I grind a point on the shank end of the drill, heat the point and melt perfect dimples into the mounts (all four at once). I finish the holes on a drill press. I fly 60 size or smaller planes and have never used an aluminum mount but the great planes tool does look handy for that.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:36 AM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
Well as far as mounting an engine I get the engine we’re i want it and then I take a long drill bit drill one hole put in screw then drill the next and so on. Or I will mark with the Great Planes tool then drill holes in plane. Or if by some chance I use an aluminum mount
i well mark and then drill tap and repeat.

So old subject on pullers got a three jaw puller last night and were has that tool been all my life works awesome.

I have made drill jigs for most of my favorite engines. Just clamp one in place and drill. Otherwise simply lay out by actual numbers , fIts every time.

Three jaw pullers were among the first to find their way into my tool box when I got started over 50 years ago . Had all kinds and sizes since. For engine hubs I made a dedicated puller to make full contact with no pressure points on the hub. Rather than push on the crank nose this puller uses a sleeve to push directly on the tapered inner collet. Cost a lot less too()

Didn't even cost $7

Last edited by Jesse Open; 04-25-2019 at 04:43 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:40 AM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by Jesse Open

I have made drill jigs for most of my favorite engines. Just clamp one in place and drill. Otherwise simply lay out by actual numbers , fIts every time.

Three jaw pullers were among the first to find their way into my tool box when I got started over 50 years ago . Had all kinds and sizes since. For engine hubs I made a dedicated puller to make full contact with no pressure points on the hub. Rather than push on the crank nose this puller uses a sleeve to push directly on the tapered inner collet. Cost a lot less too()

Didn't even cost $7
There you go again Gary, doing things the best way......sheeeese
Old 04-25-2019, 04:45 AM
Jesse Open

Sorry just providing a few ideas.

Of course, that can be a bad thing
Old 04-25-2019, 04:58 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
I too do exactly that.
Great minds thinking alike Hobbsy! In case you want to know what we are talking about here is a photo and a link. It will be the best couple of bucks you spend.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?I=LXK378&P=7

Old 04-25-2019, 05:14 AM
Hobbsy

In my case we thought alike four times, I actually wore one out. I do like Pete and use socket head self starting screws a lot. From 62 on down I should add, I haven't tried it on a large engine yet. When I started out 63 years ago I used my Dad's Yankee Drill on an F-86 Sabre Jet U control plane with a McCoy 36 for power.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 04-25-2019 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Add content
Old 04-25-2019, 05:35 AM
Jesse Open

Still have my dad's old Yankee drill from over 60 years ago. He passed it along to me when I first started in Skilled Trades with. Don't use it for engine mounting. I like to get those holes straight and true. The use of very close fitting screws requires spot on holes drilled squarely into the mount. A good center drill comes in handy for precision hole drilling.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:38 AM
Hobbsy

Very similar indeed.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:46 AM
Jesse Open

I use mostly home made aluminum mounts but at times use plastics.
These brass tapping plates take the place of individual machine nuts.
They help spread the load well and hold very securely. They really make the plastic mounts a lot stronger and make a broken lug in a crash far less likely

Pretty easy to make as well.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:56 AM
FlyerInOKC

I like to drill then tap for socket head screws and add a washer and locking nut on the bottom. Probably overkill but I haven't had a engine work loose.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:05 AM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I like to drill then tap for socket head screws and add a washer and locking nut on the bottom. Probably overkill but I haven't had a engine work loose.
I drill, tap and blue Loctite. Engines don't work loose, lighter than longer screws and hardware. But then again I'm running smaller engines than many of you.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:11 AM
Jesse Open

Whatever works. In actuality the nuts and washers should work well, Nylock if you want to add insurance. In plastics, smooth bores are preferred as tapped holes leave a load of fracture points. The tapping plates cannot spin off and they do add a bit of crash protection for the lugs.

Hopefully nobody ever loses an engine;$

Jim, your method sounds fine! A lathe turned transfer punch and a true hole made in a drill press are well accepted shop methods. The mill and lathe are two of the most valuable tools in the shop! They open the doors for many new ideas and methods. Once you have them, you sure won't care to go back!
Old 04-25-2019, 06:48 AM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
Whatever works. In actuality the nuts and washers should work well, Nylock if you want to add insurance. In plastics, smooth bores are preferred as tapped holes leave a load of fracture points. The tapping plates cannot spin off and they do add a bit of crash protection for the lugs.

Hopefully nobody ever loses an engine;$

Jim, your method sounds fine! A lathe turned transfer punch and a true hole made in a drill press are well accepted shop methods. The mill and lathe are two of the most valuable tools in the shop! They open the doors for many new ideas and methods. Once you have them, you sure won't care to go back!
Perhaps I should rethink my mounting strategy? I've tapped the holes and used blue loctite since the beginning (about 5 yrs. ago). I've reused motor mounts from quite a few crashed planes, all fiber reinforced black plastic and so far no problems. Maybe there are some stress risers lurking about!!!

Every one of those mounts have a tapered bottom on the rails. I guess I just assumed they were intended to be tapped.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 04-25-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:00 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I clamp the engine in place and use my Great Planes tool with the cone on the end to drill with the spring loaded bit inside a 1/16" hole and then use the hole to guide a larger bit as required.
Same here. Then I take it off the plane and use the drill press to make sure they are perpendicular to the flat.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:07 AM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Perhaps I should rethink my mounting strategy? I've tapped the holes and used blue loctite since the beginning (about 5 yrs. ago). I've reused motor mounts from quite a few crashed planes, all fiber reinforced black plastic and so far no problems. Maybe there are some stress risers lurking about!!!

Every one of those mounts have a tapered bottom on the rails. I guess I just assumed they were intended to be tapped.
Not a life and death issue
Just a detail that can tip the scales the right way at times. We have all seen engines with broken lugs. I have welded quite a few and replaced them too.

Tying them together can make the difference and the weight gain is very small.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:38 AM
acdii

I add a nylok nut after the engine is bolted down just in case. It helps to keep everything tight.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

That is the locknut of choice for me too.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:25 AM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I clamp the engine in place and use my Great Planes tool with the cone on the end to drill with the spring loaded bit inside a 1/16" hole and then use the hole to guide a larger bit as required.
well now, that there is just too easy, I will just have to get me one of them there thing-of-a-mic-jiggers, I will do

Jim
Saito Engines, there is no substitute
Old 04-25-2019, 08:51 AM
FlyerInOKC

Great Planes makes a grooving tool I find handy you might check out. Tower was showing the Dead Center was in sock so you can order it from them or your LHS if you have one.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:51 AM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
Well as far as mounting an engine I get the engine we’re i want it and then I take a long drill bit drill one hole put in screw then drill the next and so on. Or I will mark with the Great Planes tool then drill holes in plane. Or if by some chance I use an aluminum mount
i well mark and then drill tap and repeat.

So old subject on pullers got a three jaw puller last night and were has that tool been all my life works awesome.
that is what I usually do on my other not so expensive engines, but sometimes the holes wont come out so straight. I did that on my World models P-40 and it came out so bad I had to order a new mount, and with the new mount I found (after drilling LOL) that their 46/50 mounting arms are slightly molded on angle (of course), once I got the engine mounted I could see how the back of the mounts that bolts to the Wall were far from being vertically straight, you can say I was a bit upset with World Models about that, so I tried this new way on my Mustang, but these 60 mounts are not twisted like the 46/50 mounts are.

when I complained to them about the problems I had with these 2 World Models plane they said if I buy another plane they will give me their highest discount, but no-p, never again will I buy another, you should see the ripple in the Mustang's cowl

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 04-25-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:11 AM
the Wasp

There you go again Gary, doing things the best way......sheeeese
yeeaa, I wish I had Gary's ambition

Jim
Old 04-25-2019, 09:23 AM
the Wasp

just a engine mounting note here,

I did have a plane whereby it's manual did inform not to tap it's plastic engine mount because the threads in the plastic could weaken the mount and come to crack the plastic from vibration,

on another note, I did buy a used plane and engine once that had a few gallons run threw it, I too put a couple gallons threw it's engine only to find there was no nuts holding the engine to it's mount, the bolts were rather tight in their holes, tight enough so I could not push or pull them out, yet there was no threads in the holes

Jim
Old 04-25-2019, 10:04 AM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by the Wasp
yeeaa, I wish I had Gary's ambition

Jim
It only takes a few minutes one time to get good results in less time, for a long time.

But I can see this place is a waste of very good time which is in short supply, so good bye.

Take it away St David
Old 04-25-2019, 10:29 AM
acdii

say what?

Hey does anyone live around Kalamazoo between it and Detroit? Looking for decent RV campgrounds for August camping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.