Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 11:42 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Riot:

What you have is a classic symptom of failure to feed fuel in a high G maneuver. A header tank, even as small as two ounces should cure the problem.

Welcome to the madhouse of Club Saito – I’ve enrolled you as member number 349.

Bill.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:34 PM
ini

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is my Saito FA-82A in front of Kyosho Oxalys 50.

Saito is exceeding my expectations: running and starting very well since very beginning. Easy to operate. The supplied plug is also fine even though I thought of replacing it with OS F before running; no need for that.
Power is excellent for an 2.2 kg (<5 lb) pattern plane.

This is actually my second Saito. The first one was a FA-40 from early 80´s. A lot has changed since then, the looks is similar but power and usability is totally different in a positive way.

Iiro Nikkila
Finland

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99467.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	502517  
Old 08-06-2006, 01:23 PM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

P-80:

The FA-170R3 is 186 mm diameter, the FA-325R5 is 220 mm.

Bill.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:57 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gjeffers - I have the tank against to firewall, so it is in the forward most position.
ORIGINAL: William Robison

Riot:

What you have is a classic symptom of failure to feed fuel in a high G maneuver. A header tank, even as small as two ounces should cure the problem.

Welcome to the madhouse of Club Saito – I’ve enrolled you as member number 349.

Bill.
William, I did a quick search for "header tank" on RCU and noticed a lot of heli guys using these tanks, but not many plane guys. Is this a common solution for this problem? gjeffers stated that he can do blenders without loss of power and it doesn't sound like he is using a header tank.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:33 PM
bfreee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rvm, If the iron bay works the same way the cline does & I'm sure that it does, your pitts muffler (If its a slimline) probably wont work. only reason I say probably is because you are using one a 100 saito. Maybe that one develops pressure in the exhaust. One things for sure, if your muffler doesn't make any pressure, it will not run a cline or an iron bay. I'd call them & ask them how much pressure thier system needs to operate. I can get about 1 psi out of my 180 inverted with a slimline pitts. It doesn't work. Have to have 2-12 psi. Let me know if you talk to them. It seems Emvin has something thats working.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:37 PM
bfreee

This is the same problem that I'm having that I've been talking to Emvin about. My 180 is in a QQ 73inch Yak. Same exact problem except I'm not as good at doing those manuevers. I still try though. My engine is dying too. What muffler are you running & how far back is the tank from the engine?
Old 08-06-2006, 02:47 PM
bfreee

I realize that the cline will not increase the power of the engine, I was refering to the ongoing conversation I was having with emvin about my stock muffler not making enough pressure to push the fuel, so the engine is starving as you alluded to. I believe the cline will make my engine get the fuel it needs to get the power. When you idle down with a normal system, you lose all tank pressure & if you have the tank 8 inches back from the engine you are going to have problems, so my point was that the cline might help because it will hold the pressure in the tank once it gets there. I did block off one of my pipes on the pitts but it only brought the pressure up to about 2 psi. This would probably get me by, but you have to hate restricting the exhaust. I'm trying to see if the saito pump system is available it suppose to be under part # SAI220a102, but i haven't had any luck with that number.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:54 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The 220 pump deal was a system that included a larger carb as well as a crankcase vent filter. Some people have them but to look on Horizon's site there is no picture yet. $114.39 [SAI220A150]

Here's part of it. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...=SAI300TTDP102 But this is out of stock.

But there are other parts. In the picture is shown the check valve and crankcase breather filter.

Name:	Lj23684.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	502548  
Old 08-06-2006, 04:20 PM
p-80
My Feedback: (1)

how do you think a saito 170 radial would be on the kmp september fury for those of you that know the plane would a radial be to heavy
Old 08-06-2006, 04:36 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you guys with the cline-180 probs, i dont know how far from the fuel inlet nipple you have the cline regulator mounted, but just incase you missed the statement to mount the regulator as close to the inlet as possible im here to tell ya it makes a lot of difference if your line between them is over 1.5inches.
here is a pic of my setup that worked well.

it must be close like this to work.

hope this helps maybe

Name:	Tq48856.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	502667  
Old 08-06-2006, 06:13 PM
RVM

I'll try it first. I think it will work out that I will have about 1"- 1.25" between the carb inlet and the output on the regulator.

Who or what is Emvin?

ORIGINAL: bfreee

rvm, If the iron bay works the same way the cline does & I'm sure that it does, your pitts muffler (If its a slimline) probably wont work. only reason I say probably is because you are using one a 100 saito. Maybe that one develops pressure in the exhaust. One things for sure, if your muffler doesn't make any pressure, it will not run a cline or an iron bay. I'd call them & ask them how much pressure thier system needs to operate. I can get about 1 psi out of my 180 inverted with a slimline pitts. It doesn't work. Have to have 2-12 psi. Let me know if you talk to them. It seems Emvin has something thats working.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

When I ordered the Keleo for the .90 triple it did not occur to me that the outlet pipe would interfere with the nose gear, lesson learned. I talked to W8YE about it yesterday and this is what I came up with. It may still oil up the wheel but no biggy. Next time I'll get the outlet pipe placed at the 7 o-clock position.

Name:	Lj21484.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	502796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74116.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	502797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25555.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	502798  
Old 08-06-2006, 07:35 PM
EMVIN

RVM, if you read back a page or two you will find me ....EMVIN.... CLUB SAITO #237.... BFREE and I were disgussing different options available for our set up. Saito 180 on a somenzini yak 54 73" he is using a cline reg and I'm using a Perry pump.

Talk to you guys next week I'm going to Jamaica in the morning......YA MON!!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 08:12 PM
airboss82
My Feedback: (2)

Bought new bearings for my Saito 82. Got the rear bearing onto the crank ok by heating it. Have tried several times and can not get the front bearing into the case. Have heated the case to 275 in the oven and froze the front bearing overnight, but still it won't go in. Am I missing something? How hot can I heat the case. I have heard of using a torch to heat the front of the case, but am concerned about getting it too hot.

Anyone with another secret? This engine should have been flying a couple weeks ago.

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 08-06-2006, 08:35 PM
dubd

This is the same problem that I'm having that I've been talking to Emvin about. My 180 is in a QQ 73inch Yak. Same exact problem except I'm not as good at doing those manuevers. I still try though. My engine is dying too. What muffler are you running & how far back is the tank from the engine?
bfreee, I am using a slimline muffler and my engine is in the forward most position. The last deadstick pretty much cost me my plane and I doubt I will ever put another saito into a plane i plan on pushing to the limit. Now I'm considering building a 27% ultimate with a DA-50.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:23 PM
blw

Jerry,

You may have to go over 300, to maybe 350 to get it out. Whack the end of the crankcase on some wood to shake it loose.

I removed the original backplate from my .72 and found it deformed. It is the new design over the original. Not only did the screw heads dig deeply into the plastic, but it deformed the flange to where it is cupped up between each screw hole. I know that I never cranked those screws in that hard! The holes in the new one are larger. The original holes were small enough that that screws cut grooves in the plastic. The holes in the new one are large enough for the screws to drop through easily.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:56 AM
RGN01

Can I join in too, please?

FA-91 in a Ripmax Bossanova
FA-40a in a Tiger Moth
FA-45 waiting for a new home!

Thanks.

Richard
Old 08-07-2006, 11:47 AM
RVM

Just tached my .91 again. I got about 9700 with a 14x7 APC using 20% nitro/ 15% oil. I put it around 9300 to fly with. I was able to get a super smooth idle at around 1700, but if I punched the throttle it died. I think the low end is too lean. Going to work on that later when I get some time.

I noticed sometimes the RPMs will waver quite a bit on this engine while I'm trying to get it adjusted. When I was trying to get a peak yesterday it sometimes went from 8900 to 9600 RPMs without me touching a thing. Sometimes it would smooth out though, and I would set the needles during this time. Is this normal?

Old 08-07-2006, 08:25 PM
blw

RVM-

I don't know about the .91 but 1700 RPM seems low. I have a Saito that idled at 1900 one day for a lot of flights but did die on short final, so I bumped it back up.

If I hear that surging at mid to full throttle, I always richen the low speed needle valve 1/16 of a turn first. Sometimes more than that.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Thunderchild

ORIGINAL: Thunderchild

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Jpal:

The needle settings recommended are just a place to start. If your engine gets the proper mixture at 1½ turns open then go with it. Do check the high speed with the tank near empty and the nose pointed up – if all is well at 1½ turns fly and enjoy.

TC:

I’ll bet your buddy’s FA-125 engine doesn’t have the standard Saito “Click” when he turns the crank either. Most likely the whine is the timing gears set too tight. He can ignore it and hope it will go away (it wont for a long time), he can pull the cam out and put a thicker gasket on the cam box, or take it back to the source and have Saito fix it under warranty. Shouldn’t have a whine at all.

It is also possible that he has a bad bearing. Again, a warranty repair.

But whatever, he should have some castor oil in his fuel. I’m sure you’ve already told him.

Bill.
Thanks Bill,

I relayed the info (the philistine doesn't have web access) and he is going to go with the gasket thickness first. He also just told me it wasn't doing it right out of the box, but started after the first few flights. Bearing maybe? It definitely quitened down with the change to my fuel with castor added.

Yeah, he got the mesage loud and clear on the castor. I also printed off your notes and presented him and another couple of other newbie Saito owners with Professor Robison's Pearls of Saito Wisdom in booklet form.

Re warranty repairs: Our problem in the antipodes is that we are a long way from anywhere and shipping off for warranty takes forever. As this deprives you of the motor and may severly crimp flying activities, it is an absolute last resort. Most guys just bite the bullet and do the repairs/workarounds themselves.

Thanks again - I'll let you know how he goes.

TC [8D]
Footnote for Bill Robison

Bill,

My friend's 125 engine finally quitened down with the noise now only a faint whisper.

New problem - when the noise went away, so did 1,000 RPM!!!!

No amount of troubleshooting has been able to restore the lost RPM. He has finally admitted defeat and is sending it back to the shop under warranty. As I said earlier, going to the shop is a last resort down here in Oz. They have quoted him six to eight weeks MAYBE. [:@]

Will keep you posted on what they determine the problem to be.

TC
Old 08-07-2006, 09:23 PM
RVM

What would be considered a good idle then? 2000?

ORIGINAL: blw

RVM-

I don't know about the .91 but 1700 RPM seems low. I have a Saito that idled at 1900 one day for a lot of flights but did die on short final, so I bumped it back up.

If I hear that surging at mid to full throttle, I always richen the low speed needle valve 1/16 of a turn first. Sometimes more than that.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:48 PM
scratchonly

Bill

I bumped the nose of my saito 80 doing a rather nice cartwheel. I checked it out after removing it from the plane and the bearings felt rough. After tightening down the prop it felt normal again On removing the prop it still felt fine. Did I move something and fixed it by tightening the prop. Ran it on the bench for awhile and it still feels OK????
Old 08-08-2006, 06:07 PM
bfreee

Sorry to hear about the plane. Nothing is more frustrating. However, I have no doubt that the problem is not the Saito its that Pitts on the SAito. I just went through this. I just found out that I had to do what another gentleman suggested, which I considered but did not want to do. That was to restrict the outlet pipes of the pitts. My pitts only made 1 1/2 psi at full throttle (9krpm). The stock saito makes over 5 psi at that same rpm. I assure you that if you use your stock muffler or restrict the pitts down pipes the proper amount (which is rediculous to have to redesign the wheel), you will not have that problem. Check it if your not sure. T into the pressure line from the muffler with a low pressure gauge. you'll find the pressure is non-existent with that pitts.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:37 PM
RVM

How did you go about doing this? I hope I don't have to. :/

Sorry to hear about the plane. Nothing is more frustrating. However, I have no doubt that the problem is not the Saito its that Pitts on the SAito. I just went through this. I just found out that I had to do what another gentleman suggested, which I considered but did not want to do. That was to restrict the outlet pipes of the pitts. My pitts only made 1 1/2 psi at full throttle (9krpm). The stock saito makes over 5 psi at that same rpm. I assure you that if you use your stock muffler or restrict the pitts down pipes the proper amount (which is rediculous to have to redesign the wheel), you will not have that problem. Check it if your not sure. T into the pressure line from the muffler with a low pressure gauge. you'll find the pressure is non-existent with that pitts.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Kimhoff
My Feedback: (22)

I have a FA-120 that I broke the main case on, would anyone have a parts engine that they would be willing to part with the case?

Please PM me if you have anything.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.