Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 07:03 AM
Dave :^)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

ORIGINAL: rajul

All small starters are not created equal? Which starter types are you guys using and what battery voltage?
I use a Kavan geared starter with all my engines except my BIG Tigre, small light and powerful, but appears expensive when you see the size.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:06 AM
JPal101
My Feedback: (32)

I know we spoke about this a 1000 times, is it adjust LS first then HS at full throttle then richen LS for good transition? or visa versa
Old 09-05-2006, 08:18 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Generally its HS at full throttle first then LS at idle. Then enrichen for a good transition.

But this is assuming that the idle is on the rich side in the beginning.

An engine with the idle too lean will not respond well to the HS needle
Old 09-05-2006, 09:34 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

W8YE has it. LS must be at least a little rich when you do the initial setting of the HS. If you’ve “Lost your place†on the adjustments, bring the LS out to have the flat end just a little below the face of the throttle lever – this will ensure a rich LS setting. Then at full throttle peak the HS, don’t adjust for a rich drop yet. Go back and set the LS for best idle, recheck the peak, this time do go a little rich for 200-400 rpm drop. Now go back to idle and check the transition. The LS shouldn’t take more than ½ turn rich if you had it at the best idle before.

Once you get the hang of it a complete carb adjustment wont take more than a minute or two. Problem is, some people never get the hang of it.

Bill.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:25 PM
loughbd
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Saito 150 will pull a 19 pound Stearman just fine. Very scale. I have an old OS120 on a 21 pound Super Cub and it will loop from flat and level. Scale airplanes are supposed to fly like the real airplane not some 3D rocket. A Stearman wouldn't hang from the prop and a snaproll would tear the wings off. Loops, slow rolls, chandells, etc are prototypical manuevers
Old 09-05-2006, 05:36 PM
eclecticant
My Feedback: (10)

WILLIAM ROBISON,

Thanks for the info im no great pilot flying scale is alright with me. I started out good 7 spelled your name wrong.

KEN
Old 09-05-2006, 09:33 PM
blw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, speaking of engines and planes....I'm wondering about a pattern plane that should weigh around 14-16 lbs. Foam core stab and rudder. Wingspan is 78". The site info calls for a 35 to 50cc gas engine. But, I don't want a gasser.

Off topic, but interesting...saw a 5 cylinder Moki 250cc gas engine run today. A 4 stroke with exposed rockers and push rods. I have no idea what it turned, but standing behind it at full throttle I thought it would blow my glasses off. It sounded like it was idling below 1000 RPM. The stand had about a dozen concrete blocks holding it down. A nice piece of $3200!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

OK folks, I have a problem that I am hoping someone can help with. I have been on Google for several hours trying to find this with no luck. The difficulty is the 1mm thread spacing. I do not want to cut my existing manifold and have a piece welded/brazed in.

I need a longer HARD exhaust manifold for my 82. I already have the flex extension and it isn't doing what I need.

The thread size for the 82 is 12mm x 1. What I need is:

1. A coupling nut OR pipe union in that size.

OR

2. A threaded pipe nipple OR an all threaded piece of pipe in that size.

If anyone has a source for any of the above please let me know.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:54 AM

Hi Campy
drop Jenny at Just Engines here in the UK an email, if they havn't got one they have a machinist who could produce anything you want. Just Engines are still going strong following the sad death of Paul and Jenny is VERY knowledgeable about everything engines, so knowledgeable in fact that she has a column in one of the UK RC flying mags.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:08 AM
tychoc

Can anybody tell me what the factory default setting of the low-speed needle is on the Saito-82? I've inadvertently messed up the setting when trying to remove the throttle arm and now that I'm ready to start breaking in the engine, I would like to at least start with it at the default position. The manual states that "Do NOT adjust the low-speed needle valve at this time. The low-speed needle valve is preadjusted.", however,
they don't state what this setting is for duds like me that mess it up during the build.

Also, what prop would you recommend for this engine. I'm going to use it on the GP Ultimate 40. Would a 13x7 APC be good for this plane?

Thanks,

tychoc
Old 09-06-2006, 09:14 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

For the 82, the factory LS needle setting is about 0.5mm from the surface
Old 09-06-2006, 10:42 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Has there been any modifications or improvements in the Saito 125 since its initial release? What's the latest marking on the mounting lug?
Old 09-06-2006, 04:08 PM
tychoc

ORIGINAL: rajul

For the 82, the factory LS needle setting is about 0.5mm from the surface
Do you know what this corresponds to in # of turns from completely closed?

Thanks,

tychoc

Old 09-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Jonathan.Lam

[sm=drowning.gif] hi can someone tell me how many turns did they do on there saito 125 engine? [sm=drowning.gif]
[sm=biggrin.gif] PLEASE CHECK--THANKS [sm=biggrin.gif]

[sm=confused.gif] can someone tell me wat is wrong with my engine ---- when i do full throttle, it doesnt spin fast, there is no chance of my plane taking off with that speed.its a new engine ( it has been run in so then when i start leaning it out for more performance there is not much speed with the prop. [sm=confused.gif]

William Robison - i sent an email to you about not recieving the saito engine notes check your emails
Old 09-06-2006, 05:15 PM
IronCross

Hmmm
Old 09-06-2006, 11:17 PM
dutchalltheway

Hi you guys,
*peeking around the corner* Can I come in too please??
I will have a Saito .91 this Friday for my Funtana X 50. Is there a chair available for me here??
Old 09-07-2006, 12:58 AM
Thunderchild

Woah!!!

I just clicked on my "latest" email alert to this thread and for some reason it kicked me back to page 99. [X(][X(][X(]

thought Ihad just enterede the Outer Limits
Old 09-07-2006, 04:11 AM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Tycho:

As Mike said, the start setting of the LS needle is slightly below flush with the flat face of the throttle lever. It will be rich, but it will run. Don’t worry about how many turns out it is, just set it to position. And begin with the HS about three turns out on the mid block engines.

Mike:

Personally, I don’t know of any changes in the FA-125 since its introduction. May have been some, but I don’t know. Disregard the lug codes. Two of my FA-120 engines have the same code and different crank bearings.

Chinky-Bo:

Almost without question your HS is too lean or you have too big a prop on the engine. Or both. Open the HS to 3- 3½ turns and start over on the adjustments.

I resent Saito Notes.

dutchalltheway;

No need to peek, come out in the open and accept your Club Saito member number.

I have registered EclecticAnt as number 376, and DutchATWay has 377 as his number. Welcome to you both.

TC:

Moderator removed one paragraph that had a time value. The subject is no longer important......

Bill.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:03 AM
Helipakter

Hi everyone

I have an old saito 30 with open rockers and an FA-80
The throttle arm on the 80 wobbles/loose, anything I can do to fix it?
Thank you

Bill
Old 09-07-2006, 06:08 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can get a new throttle arm for your 80. They are $3.95. don't know about postage to you.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SAI5088B
Old 09-07-2006, 06:48 AM
Jonathan.Lam

my engine doesnt have a big prop i followed the manual prop chart for a sport flying prop--i think it is too lean thanks for the help and saito notes

what about the low end?

Old 09-07-2006, 11:45 AM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: loughbd

A Saito 150 will pull a 19 pound Stearman just fine. Very scale. I have an old OS120 on a 21 pound Super Cub and it will loop from flat and level. Scale airplanes are supposed to fly like the real airplane not some 3D rocket. A Stearman wouldn't hang from the prop and a snaproll would tear the wings off. Loops, slow rolls, chandells, etc are prototypical manuevers
You would never be happy with an RC plane that had REALISITC scale power [:'(]. If your RC plane had true scale power you would not even be able to clear the trees at most fields [:@]

Scale looks neat, but put enough power on the plane to make it fun to fly. If every time you fly the plane it is just work to get it in the air and you constantly have to run almost full power you will not enjoy the plane at all. Scale power is NOT something you want.

JettPilot
Old 09-07-2006, 12:41 PM
loughbd
Banned

Ah, but I was and I am. I also had a Goldberg Cub with an old Saito 45 with the bolt on head. It WOULD NOT loop from straight level flight. It flew just like a real one. You had to dive it into a loop. I have flown in a real one. I placed in more contests with that airplane flying scale manuevers than just about any other plane I flew in the contest circuit. It had NO problem flying over the trees where I fly. I live in Washington and our field is surrounded by Douglas Fir trees. VERY TALL Douglas Fir trees.

I like FLYING on the WING not flying some grossly overpowered airplane that doesn't even LOOK like an airplane that hangs on the propeller and does manuevers that no real airplane could do and no human could tolerate.

I loved that airplane. And I loved how it flew. Some clown at the field turned his radio on while I was flying and that solved that problem.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:50 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

A cub is a great flying airplane ! My favorite plane was a 1/4 scale cub, but with almost vertical power So I stand corrected, I would not be happy with a plane that had true scale power, but maybe some people would be
Old 09-07-2006, 02:02 PM
loughbd
Banned

Hi Bill,

Is there some special reason you had to make that announcement?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.