Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Monty Python
Don't be a killjoy Lonnie, I LIKE horror stories
Pete, you are a horror story!
Old 07-04-2022, 04:54 PM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Oh thats not true. I use a VR and let me tell you, one slip and it doesn't slide off the balancer, it CRASHES to the floor! I don't remember what I was doing, but I dumped the Corsair to the ground from 4 feet up and broke the rudder. Aside from that fumble, 100% VR is the best way to balance, unless you are one of those math wizzes who can use scales.
DOH!

Did you ever get that pretty TF kit in the air?
Old 07-05-2022, 04:50 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
DOH!

Did you ever get that pretty TF kit in the air?
No, real life got in the way again. It is still sitting over by my right here, on it's nose waiting for a pilot so I can put the canopy on. I did a full TF interior on it, but a scale pilot is too tall, and I can't find Garfield. I doubt I will have time to get to any RC stuff this year and not planning to renew the AMA this year either. Between trying to get hay fields up to speed, repairs to the house, I still have to get a few squares of shingles and patch the roof the insurance company refused to replace, they sent a measly little $3500 check to cover a 6000 SqFt roof that is estimated at $33,000 to replace. Right now I have the bed off my F350 doing rust repairs to it so it can safely tow our RV, and need to get it done and back on the truck by next weekend as the EAA Oshkosh trip is coming up last week of July. I also have two bathrooms to remodel, one is completely gutted right now, and then replace the cabinets in the kitchen if I have any money left over for it. Everything is so damned expensive today, and I can't find any RTA cabinets that I like.

Busy busy busy.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:13 AM
Glowgeek

Same here, very busy. I renewed my AMA this year but likely won't fly much until work slows.

Gutted bathrooms and no kitchen cabinets? Are you still married? Lol. I built my house 9 yrs ago and got everything done except for building cabinets. I've built several sets of whole-house cabinets and lots of other custom jobs in my cabinet shop since then but none for us. When my wife fell ill 4 years ago we lost the funds to build the cabinets. If she didn't have Alzheimers she probably would have divorced me by now for not completing our home.

Last I checked, 4 years ago, manufactured hardwood cabinets to complete our home would have cost approx 24K; the wood and hardware to build them myself approx 8K. The material cost has almost doubled since then.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:56 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

I'm a cheapskate, my house has custom cabinets built onsite in 1964. I have removed some out of date trim, widened the oven opening for a new built in, and added pullout drawers, but the cabinets themselves remain in place. The have been repainted and new hardware installed over the years but that is all the updating they get. Every time the wife looks at new cabinets she complains how flimsy they are and the drawers don't have enough space. She like the originals better.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:08 AM
acdii

Kitchen is still intact, Took water damage from a poorly designed room addition that allows water to get into the soffit. One bathroom out of 4 is gutted, the other 3 are fully functional. It's the main bath for the house, my mom has her bedroom with bath, my wife and I ours, and the kids downstairs have their own bath. The main bath has been in shambles for at least 15 years or more, we never use it and it was in dire straights when we moved in. The biggest hold up was replacing all the plumbing for both bathrooms since they are back to back and other than the toilet, all the plumbing has been replaced. I still have to drop a section of the ductwork to get to the toilet flange and put new plumbing in that allows for a full duct instead of the drop down that is there now and used to be the plenum for the old furnace. I put all new hot and cod pipes in both bathrooms since they are back to back, and once the toilet is plumbed in, I can sheet rock the walls, replace some rotted flooring and install the new tub, then get to tiling. We have at least 98% of everything needed to get the bathroom done, just some adhesives and drywall mud is needed. I'm hoping to get back to it mid August or so. Once that is done, I can work on the other bathroom, bust out that goofy cast iron tub, and install the one we bought for it years ago, do some minor wall and floor work and those will be complete and I can move on to the kitchen.

I want Cherry cabinets, found some nice looking ones, but the estimate started at $14K, and I made some design changes and now looking at nearly $25K by the time the granite and cabinets are done, and that exceeds my budget. I may build the cabinets myself if I can find a good supplier for the hardwoods, many of the places I used to frequent are now gone. I need to get it all into a budget of $15K now that I have roof repairs to do, and that will eat up more than I planned from my reserves.

t the moment with all my other projects running full speed, my workshop is a MESS! There is iron dust all over the work benches from grinding, there is grease on the main work bench as well as rust and bits from the truck parts that I had to use the vise on and rust and bits all over the floor as well as a stack of boxes from the parts, just not enough time in the day to get it all done. I need some storage cabinets down here to organize some of this stuff as I have no place to put it.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:16 AM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I use the oven to heat my Saitos

Below these stairs is where I keep Saitos, and build planes to fly them on.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 07-05-2022 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:44 AM
acdii

When we first moved in I replaced all the carpeting with hardwood, I forget how many square feet, but it was a lot. It was all prefinished and looked great, but this house has a damp basement in that when it rains heavy, it gets in through foundation cracks, plus the sump pits, which there are 5, and occasionally will get water, up to 2" one time, when the water table rises, usually in the spring. The floor now all have blackened at the ends from the moisture seeping up even though I laid red rosin under it. It used to have an open floor plan, but over the years I closed off what could be considered the living room. There are stairs to the basement that had about a foot of floor between it and a wall for the den, so I moved that wall, which was load bearing so it is against the stairs and now sits on the main beam instead of a foot past it, and enclosing the living room, that wall is the other side of the stairs. I still have a section of wall at the opposite end of the stairs that has a foot of dead space. O considered opening that wall, which is the dining room and moving it back to the edge, creating an alcove, but that more work than it's worth at the moment.

We have too much STUFF! My mother has two bedrooms full of Stuff, there are boxes of Stuff in the reading room, what used to be the living room, and more Stuff elsewhere. How that woman accumulated so much Stuff is beyond me. Last year we filled 2 dumpsters with Stuff from the garage on what was the old garage that is converted to a room, along with part of what is in the basement. I still have a room full of old cabinets that used to be in the kitchen. I redesigned and remodeled the kitchen when we first moved in, but used cheap Home Depot RTA cabinets that did not hold up to moisture and look pretty ratty now.

Sometimes I hope a tornado would just pick this house up and deposit it in the gulf a mexico. Would save me a bunch of work, thats for sure.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:32 AM
1967brutus

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Build a vannesa rig for 8 or 10 bucks. The only downside is you won't have any horror stories to tell.
Aehm... not really true.... Different horrorstories, but still horrorstories.

Old 07-05-2022, 07:47 AM
Jesse Open

I like Saito too

Last edited by Jesse Open; 07-05-2022 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:57 AM
acdii

The water intrusion I get can only be cured by pulling the back fill away from the corner and sealing it from the outside. When the water table rises to above the floor level, the pumps can keep up, but if the power goes out or a pump fails, the water can quickly fill the basement via the sump pit. Happened one year and filled the space I am sitting in right now in under 20 minutes and flooded out to the rest of the basement in a matter of minutes. The pressure into the sump pit was massive. There is a pit in the middle of the basement, when that pump runs, it is an indicator of high water table, normally it is dry. We haven't had high water for a few years now, but when the rain hits the house at just a certain angle, or really heavy rains, then water seeps through the joint where the new foundation T's the old.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:05 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

I remember my father's foster sister and her husband were renting a house with a basement in Ponca City. One day an underground spring came up in the basement flooding it. The water was coming in as fast as they could pump it out. The city condemned the property and the house was torn down and the hole filled in. I don't think anything was ever rebuilt on the lot. I'm sure the landlord wasn't happy but there was nothing he could do.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:21 AM
Jesse Open

I hear you

Last edited by Jesse Open; 07-05-2022 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:57 PM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by 1967brutus
Aehm... not really true.... Different horrorstories, but still horrorstories.
So I've been told already.
Mine is over my work bench. The plane only gets lifted a couple of inches.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:23 PM
Glowgeek

Nice work on your home Gary, something to be proud of.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:33 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

you guys are going to get in trouble

no Saito talk, someone's going to talk to you guys

I like Saito!
Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 07-05-2022 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:50 PM
Jesse Open

Jim,

How about a few more pics of your HP two strokers? Maybe time to talk small block Chevys

I always thought of Saitos as the Chevrolet of four strokers, OS as the Ford
The Black Knight Saito were like a four stroke copy of those beautiful HP black and gold two strokes.

Thank you Lonnie.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:25 PM
the Wasp

hold on. something is wrong here

Last edited by the Wasp; 07-05-2022 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:02 PM
the Wasp

I'm done! I'm done, done, done, done with it!

Gary is right, how did he know that? there is more to the story errr.

OK, so 2 weeks ago I lowered the battery pack in my P-40. you know the plane. the one with the smelly Heli 2st in it. moving the battery is why I had to re-balance. the pack (4cell Nicad) was mounted in a well just behind the engine wall. so the pack was just some 3mm below the top of the cowl. I made a new mount for the pack and now the pack sets some 2.5 inches lower just above the wing, some 4" behind the CG. NOTE that with the pack mounted just behind the Engine Wall I had to add 3oz of lead behind the bulkhead that the trailing edge of the wing mounts against. and another 1/4oz right at the tail = 3.1/4oz..

why did I move the pack lower; well the plane did not respond well at all to aileron stick inputs. it was slow to respond LOL. after I thought about moving the pack lower/below the prop's Centerline I remembered I had watched a video about this. the guy in the video said your plane will respond better if most add weight was mounted below the Prop's Centerline. so I went ahead and moved the pack. I'm not really happy where the pack sets now. but, instead of being above the prop's centerline the pack is now below its centerline. boy was I hoping with the battery now lower and behind the CG that I would need less lead to balance the plane. so I balance.

now for balancing; I clean the lower engine mount with denatured alcohol and slap on a stick of six 1/4 oz lead = 1.5oz and balance the plane, tail too heavy, as the plane is on the balancer i set another oz on the bottom of the cowl and still the tail is too heavy. LOL here is where I found, as said in my other post, the foam under the plane was right up against the cowl and canopy. boy I was done for the night.

today; so today I'm back at balancing. and, I did it. oh yes I did. I did it, and some of you are going to say "you didn't do it". but I did do it. last night I glued with J&B 1.5oz of lead to the inside, bottom-front of the cowl. and today i put the plane on the balancer again. and I still need more lead to bring the tail up so the Elev-Stab is level. boy was I mad. I took the plane off the balancer, turned it right-side up and set it on the table and looked at it.
as the plane set there I noted something. well I used Painter's Tape on the wing and marked on the tape where the CG is. and LOL LOL. on one wing I had 2 marks because I marked it wrong. and the 2nd mark is 3/16th back LOL, and so when the plane was upside down LOL I was looking at the wrong wing, SO I was laughing at myself. I put the plane back on the balancer, line the balancer up to the correct marks and the plane was perfectly balanced. boy was I a happy pilot.

let's add up the lead, see if it's heavier or lighter. the plane had 3.25oz in it. now> 1.50oz on the engine mount + 1.50oz in the cowl = 3oz. the plane is 1/4oz lighter, LOL but add the new battery mount. I say that is 1/8oz. well at least the plane isn't heavier.
BTW, because the cowl is so long I used 6 servo screws to hold the cowl on, so I don't think adding that lead to the cowl will be a problem. if it is more screws should help LOL

boy I hate balancing model planes!
Jim
Old 07-05-2022, 08:33 PM
the Wasp

I don't know if it was my computer or the site, or the Net. but when i edited my post it dobeled the size of my post when i saved it, so I posted a new post.

now Garry, don't get me going on Chevy, I sO very much miss my 71 Nova SS, it was brown with a black vinal roof, had a L-79 327 Vett engine in it with the better 71 LT heads. pistons and rings were tight and rod bearings were loose, heads and block milled CR was 12.8. I should have bult it as a 400. it was real Muscle car power, the new 680HP stuff is not Muscle car power,

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 07-05-2022 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:05 AM
1967brutus

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

So I've been told already.
Mine is over my work bench. The plane only gets lifted a couple of inches.
Mine suspends the plane in a double A-frame. It is only inches off the ground, but when the A-frames collapse (hinged at the top with a horizontal strut, the strut can come loose if I do something stupid for which I am not yet vaccinated) the frame collapses on the otherwise until then undamaged plane...
Old 07-06-2022, 05:48 AM
acdii

What I like about the VR is it can balance something small like the SOmething Xtra, or something huge like the Rascal 168 that weighs 55 pounds. Just don't let go of the line when you pull it in the air. The mistake I made was not clearing out some stuff I had sitting on the floor and tripped myself, letting go of the line and dropping the plane.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:09 PM
Monty Python

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Pete, you are a horror story!
Hey Mike how ya doin?? I'm flattered

ps Brutus, you hav'nt done the whole stupid until you buy a black and gold smelly two stroke and lowered your battery pack, so the ailerons are more effective, what happens to your inverted flight performance then, are your rolls slower when inverted?
pps Jim no more smelly two stroke pics please or I'll send you an FA125!!
Old 07-06-2022, 06:20 PM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by Monty Python
Hey Mike how ya doin?? I'm flattered

ps Brutus, you hav'nt done the whole stupid until you buy a black and gold smelly two stroke and lowered your battery pack, so the ailerons are more effective, what happens to your inverted flight performance then, are your rolls slower when inverted?
pps Jim no more smelly two stroke pics please or I'll send you an FA125!!
naa, you won't send the125. you will have to dig it up LOL

Jim
Old 07-06-2022, 07:59 PM
the Wasp

Gary a 468 Chevy SB >

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.