Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:25 PM
joooe6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

[sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif]
Old 01-09-2007, 08:52 PM
curtis robison

can i mount a saito fa 125 upside down will doing so effect idle and cause flameouts

thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 08:57 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as long as the fuel tank is in a good position it will run the as great inverted as upright.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:43 PM
turboapache

I bought a Saito fa 65 from a guy here on RC Universe and it was very bad sounding when I turned it over and had no compression. I found a stuck valve and freed it up but I can still hear air bleeding by when I turn it over. I pulled it down and found it to be full of rust and gunk. I now have it down to just the crank and case. I have never had to rebuild one of these before and would like some input before I go any further. Will the crank come out just by pressing it or is ther something else I neen to know first? This was supposed to be a good eng. according to the ad. So much for that. I have not removed the piston from the cyl. yet. Any input from the pros out there would be a help. Also need to know the best place to get any parts needed other than the bearings as someone gave me a link for those. Thanks in advance. Harold
Old 01-09-2007, 09:53 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The prop drive hub must be removed before attempting to push the crank out.

The cam/box needs to be removed also.

Go ahead and raise the cylinder/piston rod assembly up high enough to remove the rod from the crank pin but leave the piston in the cylinder for now.

You will need a clamp and puller to get the prop driver hub off the engine.

Get your other Saito parts besides bearings from www.advantagehobby.com (they have free shipping)

This site will need a little getting used to but there is a real nice parts selection system on the site.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:14 PM
jb86
My Feedback: (8)

i have the harry higley book "all about engines". it's a great step by step guide for 2 and 4 stroke engines, it has a break down for saito, enya and os 4 strokes. step by step for basic cleaning and care, replacing bearings, and rings, complete rebuild, ect. has pic's all along the way. excellent resource. even when you get explainations, it's great to have the pictures and steps laid out for you.
jon b
Old 01-09-2007, 11:39 PM
turboapache

Many thanks to all for the fast response. I have the cam box off already and just needed to get the crank out. I still have the piston in the cyl. and was debating if I should just pull it all the way down. If anyone knows of posts anywhere on the site for redoing the valves and ring and happen to know what page it is on? The forum is quite long and sometimes hard to find specific items covered by the great people here. It is really great to have all this knowledge available to us. How about places to find the tools like the small puller etc. for these engines. Thanks, Harold
Old 01-10-2007, 12:18 AM
stallwart

ORIGINAL: curtis robison

can i mount a saito fa 125 upside down will doing so effect idle and cause flameouts

thanks

If your tank is quite a bit higher than the spray bar, simply loop your carb feed line down below the spray bar an equal distance. It has worked well for me without need for a regulator or pump.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:02 PM
timLQ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hoping one of you guts can help me out...I have a .65 that I pulled the low speed needle out of. DSoes anyone know where I should set it to at least get in the ballgame? The motor is broken in. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:29 PM
turboapache

I need to know where to get the hub clamp and puller. I went to Advantage Hobby but could not find any of the Saito parts or tools. Can you get the parts from Horizon Hobby? Thanks, Harold
Old 01-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Steel throttle arm==even with the end of the throttle barrel.
Plastic throttle arm==about 1/16th inch below end of throttle barrel. You'll end up at least 1.5 turns in from there, but those are the starting points.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:37 PM
timLQ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the quick response! That will get me going.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:18 PM
roboto65
My Feedback: (30)

ORIGINAL: turboapache

I need to know where to get the hub clamp and puller. I went to Advantage Hobby but could not find any of the Saito parts or tools. Can you get the parts from Horizon Hobby? Thanks, Harold

Try your local Autozone or parts store
Old 01-10-2007, 07:15 PM
dgiordano
My Feedback: (7)

I have a saito 100 brand new. What is the best way to break it in and what do you guys recommend for the tuning process.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:05 PM
turboapache

Thanks, I went out in my shop and made a puller and the hub came off fine. Now I am just waiting on the new parts to come in. I ordered the bearings from RC Bearings and the gaskets and valve springs from Advantage. Thanks to all for the help. Harold
Old 01-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Thunderchild

ORIGINAL: dgiordano

I have a saito 100 brand new. What is the best way to break it in and what do you guys recommend for the tuning process.
Believe it ot not, the manufacturer's recommendations are just fine so just follow the manual and you will get years of fine reliable service from your new engine.

Enjoy

TC
Old 01-10-2007, 10:09 PM
mred33

Greetings one and all:
I am new to four strokes and Saitos, but after seeing one fly, I fell in love with the sound and I love it's looks. I have a 125 that I am just breaking in and will install in a 7 ft. Fly Baby as soon as I get it finished. I also have a 100 that I am breaking in. Love the sound of those four strokes. I have one question though. I have a Dremer Bip on order and was wondering what would be the best enging for it. The last one I had I installed an HP-40 in it and it flew great. It's fourty size, but after reading about some one you putting 100s in a fourty size plane and talking about twin 125s for a Duealest, I am beggining to wonder about you. (Jult kidding) What would be a good four stroke for this plane??? Thanks a bunch for all the help you have been dishing out and keep up the good work. Can I have a number too?????
MrEd
Old 01-10-2007, 10:23 PM
curtis robison

hey how tight does the exsaust have to be on a fa125 saito
should i use lock tight would it work do to heat? thanks

curt
Old 01-10-2007, 10:27 PM
w8ye

It's generally too hot for lock tight to keep holding.

I screw the pipe in all the way and then jam the nut up against the cylinder to where it's tight but not hard enough to tear anything up.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:53 PM
jb86

i just bought a used fa 100. i opened the covers and squirted in some marvel airtool oil on everything; cylinder below and above, valves, rockers, pushrods, ect. it seemed kinda tight (and not smoothly) when first turning it over. i only gently turned the crank and seemed to feel much smoother. is that ok?
the rear bearing has a rust "sheen" to it on the surface of the race that i can see, does that mean i should replace them? everything seems to roll well.
the valves appear to be quite loose, the intake i can notice by eye has a gap, the exhaust is less visible, but loose. would this have caused any damage? definitely wouldn't have run well. i was told this engine wasn't run much, always well, and hand started easily. it is very clean on the exterior.
any tips? ok, so now i'm up to fa .82, .72, 1.00. almost bought a 1.80, but i was told it wouldn't meet my club's noise regulation, 1.50 barely makes it w/3 blade.
jon b
Old 01-10-2007, 10:55 PM
jb86

i was told to use teflon on my o.s. 70 fs. seems to hold well, many flights. just three wraps of teflon tape.
jon b
Old 01-10-2007, 10:58 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ive never had any problems with any of my saitos(100-125,or 180) mufflers loosening, just tighten nice and snug and fly, if they do loosen then tighten while hot and they should stay tight
Old 01-10-2007, 10:59 PM
w8ye

On the 180 try a bigger prop to keep the rpm down and maybe it will meet the Db requirements?

I would adjust the valves on the 100 and if the bearings are reasonably smooth give it a whirl and see what it runs like?
Old 01-10-2007, 11:35 PM
jb86

i was told, allowed at my field is 94 db 2 stroke, 96 db 4 stroke (because the less offensive pitch of sound than 2 stroke). they were out w/the db meter 2 weeks ago, the 150 w/ 14x8 (i almost positive of the size) 3 blade, under 9k (again, i'm pretty sure) came in around 95 db. he lost performance, but got below 96 db. what it does is load the prop, to turn slower. the larger the diameter and the faster the rpm the higher the tip speed, the closer it is to what, 600 mph? the louder the sound. i was told the 180 w/3 blade 15x8 might make it, but not a 3d prop. 16x8 or 17x6 won't make it, also the 180 is a much bigger engine, so louder. not that most people would think it to be a particularly loud engine, but, if the db meter says it's too high, that's it. also, i was told that rubber isolation mounts should take off 1 db, but that could be more trouble that it's worth. i passed on the 180 for now, i don't have time and money to waste just in case i find out it won't meet the db.
i'll probably run the 100 first of the week, unless the rain holds out here for the weekend.

jon b
Old 01-10-2007, 11:56 PM
curtis robison

any one out ther know what size prop adapter i need for a saito fa125 4 stroke for a 2.5 spinner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.