Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 05:29 PM
RCWI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

hi all! i have a problem with fuel/oil over me saito .82. i have the stock exhaust and the crankcase nipple all outside the cowel of a showtime. i have replaces all the hoses think there was a small leak. But still are finding oil over the engine and firewall. Is this normal? Or is there a problem with my engine? Thanks Vincent
Old 07-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

How long is the line on the vent and is it straight, it sounds like something has blocked the vent and oil is coming out around the front bearing.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Ken6PPC

ORIGINAL: RCWI

hi all! i have a problem with fuel/oil over me saito .82. i have the stock exhaust and the crankcase nipple all outside the cowel of a showtime. i have replaces all the hoses think there was a small leak. But still are finding oil over the engine and firewall. Is this normal? Or is there a problem with my engine? Thanks Vincent
Are you using a velocity stack? I have experienced a lot of drool inside a cowl, before I installed a velocity stack. It allows you to USE all of the fuel that would otherwise end up gunking up the inside of your cowl.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:58 PM
RCWI

The vent is about 4" long and stright down. And no i dont have a velocity stack. Where can i find one...... thanx
Old 07-08-2007, 09:02 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Remove the vent line from the crankcase and see if anything changes.............
Old 07-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Ken6PPC

ORIGINAL: RCWI

The vent is about 4" long and stright down. And no i dont have a velocity stack. Where can i find one...... thanx
Looks like Horizon Hobby is out of them at the present time. However, it isn't all that tough to make one, if you are a little bit mechanically inclined.

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SAI50GK93]Velocity Stack[/link]
Old 07-09-2007, 12:56 AM
jktenor

how does one become a member?

Sorry to take so long to reply I was working out of town.

Thank you for your reply.

I will also check Bill Robinsons saito notes.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:18 AM
RCWI

tailskid Date 7/9/2007 3:02:06 AM
Remove the vent line from the crankcase and see if anything changes.............

There is a bit of smoke that comes out of the hose now. If i move the hose what change would I be loking for?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:46 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bingo!

It looks like Jerry hit the nail on the head.

There should not be any visible smoke exiting the crankcase vent. Oil - yes. Smoke - no.

It sounds like either a broken ring or a broken piston has decided to nest in your engine.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-09-2007, 09:47 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

jktenor- you are # 535
Old 07-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Gstan

Am I ok to go? I’m breaking in my new 72 with a 13x6 prop. I ran two tanks through with the needle valve at 3 turns out at 4,000 RPM and two tanks at 2 ½ turns out (Manual recommendation).
The fifth tank I would take it up for five seconds to keep bumping up the RPM and back down for thirty seconds. 8,400 are as high as it would go. I dropped it back down to 7,400 and set the low speed.
½ turn in seemed good. It would studded and run up to full RPM or if I went slow on the throttle it would idle up ok. And it would idle up and die if I pinched it. A little rich if I had to guess. About 3,000 on the idle is as low as it would go.
So should I fly it a 7,400 and slowly tweak it on every tank for the next five or so tanks? That would put me flying at -500 RPM from max at about 10 tanks.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The 3,000 rpm idle indicates that it is still pretty rich on the LS needle. Peak HS needle at full throttle and then reduce the throttle to the lowest idle and procede to lean the LS needle 1/8 turn at a time testing the transition after every other change. As the idle gets faster from the improved mixture, reduce the throttle opening to the minimum it will idle and keep chasing it right down to about 1,800. Now set the throttle for about 2,100 to 2,200, richen the top rpm down about 300 and go fly. This is much easier on a test stand.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Gstan

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

The 3,000 rpm idle indicates that it is still pretty rich on the LS needle. Peak HS needle at full throttle and then reduce the throttle to the lowest idle and procede to lean the LS needle 1/8 turn at a time testing the transition after every other change. As the idle gets faster from the improved mixture, reduce the throttle opening to the minimum it will idle and keep chasing it right down to about 1,800. Now set the throttle for about 2,100 to 2,200, richen the top rpm down about 300 and go fly. This is much easier on a test stand.

Sounds good to me.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:48 PM
thrashin

Hi guys, is there a reason that I should not use a little non-synthetic motor oil when assembling my Saito 80? I see people recommend using Mobil One synthetic to lube parts for first start protection, but would using standard motor oil cause any problems? Also, if I use a few drops of standard oil to oil the rockers, would that be a problem?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:16 PM
blw

I know a lot of people who oil the parts when assembling an engine. Either oil that you have on hand is okay as it will burn out quickly when you crank it.

Oil down the tubes is always a good idea and mentioned in the manual.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:59 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: blw

I know a lot of people who oil the parts when assembling an engine. Either oil that you have on hand is okay as it will burn out quickly when you crank it.

Oil down the tubes is always a good idea and mentioned in the manual.
Interestingly enough, the cam followers tend to be such a good fit in the crankcase that I doubt much/any of the oil you put down the tubes does much at all.

There is however, a very good oil path from the crankcase to the cam-box so it doesn't hurt to inject a bit of oil through the crankcase vent before running your engine for the first time. I give my Saitos a dose of Mobil 1 synthetic as an ARO after a day's flying and then tip the plane up until it starts dripping out the front bearing (yep, even if it's sealed, the Mobil 1 *will* find its way through). This ensures that the cam will have *plenty* of lube next time the engine is fired up.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:20 AM
rustypep
My Feedback: (6)

Hobbsy,

Have you taken any numbers after you added that 90 degree adapter to see if there is any difference in performance especially since there is already a 90 degree turn in the TurboHeader muffler? I am planning/thinking to run the same set up on a Saito 100 and 82 and was just curious if you saw any differences. I am probably overthinking it but all those turns may have an effect on exhaust flow and I don't want to loose any performance from the TurboHeader. I am going to do some tests this weekend and see for myself especially since there is a baffle in the version for the 82 but the 82 is brand new so I have to run some fuel through it before I can really check. The 100 has about a gallon through it so I should be able to check that one since it is broken in enough to hold a needle setting.

I am really impressive with the quality of the muffler and Jim's service. The ability to use an adapter with it will just add to the flexibility of the system. Thanks!

Rusty

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

A couple of days ago I received a Saito 14mm, 90 degree adapter to aleviate removing the carb to put a TurboHeader on it, and it does just that plus more. I think the pictures are self explanatory. The last picture is why I haven't been on here much lately. Picture one shows the position in which the TH can screwed on and off.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:42 PM
alfredbmor

Personally I do not think that is a good idea because of the following fact:
Bill in self got its own conclusions with his own experience, lets keep it like that, He is not able to agree or not with further conclusions or notes; I have read all the thread more than once and I think that there are more notes to take from him than those that exist in the particular Robinsons thread, in the other hand is a great idea to add other notes that do not exist in Robinsons thread, so we could initiate a new Saito Notes, by all Saito members with solutions on many issues about our engines. Let’s keep forward but let’s have some respect for the past.
That is only my personal opinion.

ORIGINAL: blw

jktenor and jb86- are you members of the Saito club? If not, do you want to be?

Jb- I know it is some work, but look through the Club Saito pages for details on your intake manifold issues. This engine has some specific things that you should know about. If you can't find it, I'll go through it again.

Should we start thinking about an addendum to Bill Robisons's Saito Notes to cover issues like this? It would be the right place if it seems okay to everyone to add to his work.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:48 PM
RC Specialties

Alfred,

I happen to agree. Bill's notes are his notes. They should be preserved as such. It is a good idea to start fresh. My 2 cents!!

Jim
Old 07-11-2007, 03:02 PM
jb86
My Feedback: (8)

how about the work is spread out among atleast a few dozen members. if 40 people take less than 200 posts, sort thru them and "glean" any valuable info, then it can be catagorized as to; bearing replacement, drive puller, info on air leaks, different diagnoses, ect. and whatever. it would be easier than 1 person trying to do everything. each person could give a list of basic catagories. just an idea.
jon
Old 07-11-2007, 05:40 PM
WRM

Guys, I have a problem. I put a new 56 in my Magic and it surges and dies when I hover or do a flat spin . What do you think ?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:23 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its going lean
Old 07-11-2007, 07:33 PM
WRM

I thought of that, and I set the high setting at about 300 rpm from the peak rpm. The low end was set so that it would idle at aound 2600 to 2700 rpm. When I advanced the throttle, it would blow a puff of smoke as it wound up. How do you set the low side?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:37 PM
blw

We can either do or not do something based on how members feel about it. I certainly understand what you guys are saying.

The Saito .72 is one case where the info and experiences should be easily found, and a sticky probably would lead to clutter with other engines with issues. This thread is 393 pages already (!) and nearly impossible to search through.

I was thinking of putting an addendum highlighted in bold with something stating that this was not Bill's work, but an effort to continue the knowledge base in one place as Bill started himself. I thought it would be a tribute to his efforts by keeping it alive and growing.

We don't have to do that. It was just a thought to solve the problem of bits of scattered information.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Dave :^)

Hi BLW,
I'm all for an addendum to Bill's notes and would also be happy to post them in an easily downloadable format with Bills notes on my website if wished. Over 100 people have downloaded Bills notes in .pdf or .doc format so far! The ball is in your court guys.
Dave :^)

Bills notes for download at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/kirkbyflier

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.