Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 11:22 AM
masonman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

I think i will start leaning it an see what happens. I know it can do way more than what it does. its a great engine when set up right. Thing is i'm not much of a champ when it comes to turning needles. but i need to start
Old 08-04-2007, 11:40 AM
rlmcnii
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Masonman,
If the LS is at the factory setting, leave it. Open the HS three turns. Start the engine. Go to WIDE OPEN THROTTLE and lean the HS to peak rpm. Use a tach, it is hard to hear the rpm change at high speed. Leave the HS leaned to peak rpm. Now, it is time ti lean the LS needle. With the engine running at idle begin to lean (turn in, to the right) the LS needle. If you are starting at factory settings you will go a long way...perhaps two turns or more. DO NOT count turns..listen to the engine. At some point the engine will begin to run much more cleanly, with less smoke and less vibration. You are getting close. Continue to lean the LS needle until the engine just begins to fade. You are now just a wee bit too lean but, you know where you are! Now richen (open..to the left, counter-clockwise) the LS needle 1/8 of a turn at a time and try the throttle. You are looking for a clean, reliable, repeatable transition from idle to an open throttle. Do not get all hung up with the leanest LS needle-setting possible. Go for a good transition out of idle. Onced the LS is set, go back to WIDE OPEN THROTTLE and reset the HS so you are 200 (or so) rpm RICH of peak rpm. You got it.
LEAN THE HS NEEDLE ONLY AT WIDE-OPEN THROTTLE when you begin this exercise. Start with the HS needle at least three turns out. Tune the needles by the sound of the engine and your tach...not by counting turns!!
When fine-tuning the LS needle to find the good transition the engine may die as you open the throttle. If so, just open the LS 1/8 of a turn, restart and try again. You will get it.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:39 PM
masonman

Rlm. I'm printing that off an am going to try it as soon as the temp here gets somewhere below a 100 degrees. Thanks for the info on this thing. Thats what i have always loved about a saito. set them an forget them. or in my case i have been fortunate to just have to fuel them an go. they are that good of an engine
Old 08-04-2007, 05:00 PM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

I agree... I seldom need to touch the needles on any of my 4 Saito engines. Occassionally I do turn a high speed needle 1 or 2 clicks to adjust for temp and or humidity, but basically I just start my engines and set the planes on the ground and go. I never even rev em up first anymore. I have to giggle inside when I see people use 1/4 tank fooling with their engines before a flight, when I just fire and fly, and thats even if an engine hasn't been run in a month or more, they simply always run the same. I love my Saito engines ! Dennis in Red Bluff, CA
Old 08-04-2007, 05:28 PM
blw

It's easier to tune the LS for me if I have about 1/4 throttle. I can hear the engine lean out better that way.

Saito engines sometimes have a dead spot and you think you have peaked the HS, but you haven't. It can fool you. My .56 is like that. Anyway, I had to go way past that to get it tuned.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Michaelh
My Feedback: (4)

BLW
I think this could be what is confusing me so much (what you said about a dead spot)
Im still not understanding why I need a reg. when It peaks out and still runs rich?Just seems like it would run lean. Idles at 1900 and can get it to idle down to 1800 though. Im still confused about it but the regulator is on there now along with the Saito Exhaust so Ill see how it does tomorrow.

Ran like poop today with a dead stick [:-]

Wish me luck guys!
Mike,
Old 08-04-2007, 05:54 PM
freeonthree

I don't have a regulator on any of my engines, and they all run like swiss watches. I have 1 inverted and 3 horizontal mountings. No issues as of yet...
Old 08-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Michaelh

Swiss cheese doesnt run though,it just sorta melts a little and all the oil runs out of it

Ok please excuse my dry humor
Old 08-04-2007, 06:33 PM
nitrobeast

Quick question on fuel guys.

I finished my gallon of Cool Power 10% synthetic today. I went over to the store i just cant stay out of and got some more. This time i got Cool power 4 cycle 15% caster/synthetic blend. (Thats what the label says) I got this one thinking it was better because it said 4 cycle .A guy at the field told me i should have gotten what i had before but moved upto 15%. He mentioned something about the one i just got has less oil content. Can that be? Should i have gotten the same as before? Should i use this one or try and return it?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2007, 06:45 PM
freeonthree

I tried the cool power 15% four stroke fuel and hated it. Lately, i've been buying 20/20 non castor, and mixing it down to 15/15 with methanol, and comin out with an almost free extra 40 ounces of fuel.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:51 PM
freeonthree

Oh, sorry... You can use that four stroke fuel with no worries, but it's pretty smokey in my opinion. Just get the cool power 15% next time, and you'll have to retune slightly. I always loved cool power 15%, but the way I do it, I get 40 ounces more fuel, and thats about 2 evenings of flying for me...
Old 08-04-2007, 08:09 PM
rlmcnii

nitrobeast,
You may check the Morgan's Fuel website.. The 10% Cool Power has total oil content of 17% or 18% depending on the specific blend. In the Cool Power fuels the oil is all synthetic. The Omega 15%, either labeled as two-stroke or four-stroke has 17% total oil content. In the case of the Omega 70% of the oil is synthetic and 30% of the oil is castor.
The general consensus, among people who know about fuel and Saitos, is that the fuel with the castor oil in it is superior. Although many people seem to be very happy with the pure-synthetic blends. This post is not to ignite an OIL-WAR, just to let you know that the Omega 15% is a fine fuel for your Saito. My Saitos are run exclusively on Morgan 15% Omega.
You may have to re-tune just a bit to compensate for the higher nitro content in the 15% Omega.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:27 AM
cje0114
My Feedback: (27)

Hey guys,

I got my first Saito today. It is a 1.25 for my new QQ 69" Yak.

Now, I was just wondering how these engines act when they are mounted inverted. I was going to mount it on it's side, but things will just line up better if I go inverted.

So, let's hear it from anybody that has the 1.25 mounted inverted. How does it run? Is it reliable? does it start easy?

Thanks,

Chris

Old 08-05-2007, 06:34 AM
RC Specialties

Chris,

All but one of my Saito's are mounted inverted. It will run fine and be very reliable. I think you will be happy with the Saito. Follow the manual for break-in procedures and tuning and it will give you years of great service.

Jim
Old 08-05-2007, 12:11 PM
chasrb

HI I bought a plane with a Older Saito 90 twin - it is all silver and has the seperate rocker arm covers and the cyl are a bit rounded. Has twin carb setup. I am trying to id the year made and how the carb routing should be done. I found a Saito twin manual from 99 but it did not have this engine config in it. Could it be a 60 instead?

I looked into the 100 T and it looks very similar to what I was told was a 90 on this plane. I have the same dual carb set up as teh 100 T maybe its an older 100 t?

Help.

I updated this post with a pic of the set up. Looks like the carb was moved remote for the original setting.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17647.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	736159  
Old 08-05-2007, 12:47 PM
blw

Chris- you are member #541
Old 08-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Michaelh

So I guess Im not cool enough to be in the club maybe?
Old 08-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Tbone4life

Got a Saito?
Old 08-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Ken6PPC

ORIGINAL: Michaelh

So I guess Im not cool enough to be in the club maybe?
There are so many members now, I'm sure it is hard to keep track of who already has a number and who doesn't. Heck, they can't be TOO choosey - they let ME in!

That said, I suppose that all you have to do is ask to be assigned a number.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Michaelh

ORIGINAL: Michaelh

Ok guys having some issues with my 180 with a slimline pitts. Ive only been able to hit a good confident peak one time and that was 9500 on the 18x6w I have it set at 8700 right now think I was able to get it around 9000 Its plenty rich and puts out good power all till the time I go to pull a wall into a hover I start out hovering at half throttle then have to slowly work the throttle up to full over a peiod of about 20sec.

My tank is cg mounted aprox. 13 inches to the center 10 to the front of tank to the CL of carb. Now Im pretty sure this is a fuel delivery issue. Most likely backpressure? I know Ive read or have seen a slight comment that some were having to plug one side of the Pitts exhaust up?

any tips help would be greatly apreciated. I love the engine on this plane ! Level flight to a smooth upline is powerful just when you get the engine under more load like I mentioned above the power slowly fades off.

Mike.

BTW I do have some videos of when the engine was going through the last of the break in. Ill Put some links up eh

Ok maiden flight for both the ingine and the plane http://rcuvideos.com/item/KGKM3YPL0LVKGKKL
and here is the third flight still rich and 8000-8300 rpms http://rcuvideos.com/item/YPMMRM72CHZDBS41

Just think how it would be at 9300rpms [X(]
But of course I have a Saito [8D] Have more post on here asking for help also .

I thank the ones that have stepped up and helped but the regulator did not work. I peaked at 8300 Idle at 1950. Although the RPM's did hold steady this time it still has the same syptoms when peaking . It peaks out and I can still see smoke pouring out the back. I tried to se if it was a dead spot in the needle setting but no definetly bogs down like its leaning out.
Im going to try a couple things before I slap a Perry on.

Dont know its kinda weird the few times I saw good performance is when the pressure hose had blown off the tap at the muffler.

Its kinda anoying cause I can go over and tune someone elses Saito right in. One guy gave me a power inverter for it he was so happy.

Mike,
Old 08-05-2007, 07:18 PM
freeonthree

I can't even remember what my number is. lol It must be 56, 65, 72, or 80 though. Nah...
Old 08-05-2007, 07:31 PM
blw

MichealH- you are now #542
Old 08-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Michaelh

Now Im proud member 542! Thanks blw and thanks for all the time you put into the FAQ's and such.

Mike
Old 08-05-2007, 09:01 PM
cje0114
My Feedback: (27)

I ran a couple more tanks through the 1.25 tonight. This is one sweet engine. I am about 30 minutes in to the break in now. I'll runn a few more tanks this week after work, then I'll fly it next weekend.

Now for another question.

Where should I set my high end rpm's for the first flights? I'm using an APC 16.5x5w prop. I would've used a 16 x 6, but I have a bunch of these(16.5 x 5w) from my YS days.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 08-05-2007, 10:52 PM
blw

There is also Jim (W8YE) who does the bulk of the work around here, and Bill Robison who is deceased and certainly did more than his share. There was also Hobbsy who contributed greatly. I'm the new guy. But, thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.