Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 08:57 PM
jasonred007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

HELP, SAITO 220 GK I was breaking in my 220 and changing props, when I broke the jam nut. Any ideas on how to get it off without destroying anything. When I turn the nut of course it turns the crank shaft but not the prop. thanks for any help guys. Has any1 else ever had this problem????
Old 08-25-2007, 09:12 PM
RVM

How did you break it? Got any pictures?

ORIGINAL: jasonred007

HELP, SAITO 220 GK I was breaking in my 220 and changing props, when I broke the jam nut. Any ideas on how to get it off without destroying anything. When I turn the nut of course it turns the crank shaft but not the prop. thanks for any help guys. Has any1 else ever had this problem????
Old 08-25-2007, 10:05 PM
edberg

Alright I just started breaking in my new SAITO 100. I began with the low speed flush with the throttle arm, and the high speed 5 turns out from fully closed. My tank size is 320cc, The first tank ran with the throttle set just above idle to keep it from shutting off, on the second I leaned it out about half a turn and I ran it with a little more throttle. On the third tank It was about 1 full turn leaner from when I started and ran it at the same throttle setting. Even still, the engine would quit when I removed the glow igniter, the entire break-in was done with the glow igniter in place.

After this I ran out of fuel so I squirted a good amount of after run oil into the crankcase vent and spun the prop a few times. Am I doing this right? Should I do some more breaking in? Leaner?
Old 08-26-2007, 12:38 AM
jasonred007

I had pulled off my 20x8 and was installing the 22x10 I had tightened the first nut, put on the second nut and was tightening it when I heard a snapping sound. I was going to take them off and inspect just to be safe. the outer nut came off without the pieces that jam inside the first nut.... I will post pics tomorrow.. Thanks
Old 08-26-2007, 03:53 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Edberg,

You have done OK but it is time to run the engine faster for short periods and get the high speed needle set. I trust you have a propeller about 14-8 or there abouts?

for a short period put the throttle fully open and make the engine run as fast as it can with the the high speed needle valve. reduce the throttle to a lower speed and open the high speed needle about four clicks.

Run the engine at all different speeds for short periods. Let the engine cool off between tanks of fuel.

Then start working on getting the Low speed needle set.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:58 AM
w8ye

Jason,

How tight is the big nut now?

My plan of action would be to have the engine out of the plane and remove the carburetor/backplate and block the crankshaft from turning with a piece of wood like a dowel. Then oil the crankshaft threads and try to back the big nut off.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:14 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

One trick you might try is to hold the prop and tighten the big nut a little more, it just might move away from the broken piece enough to come loose.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:46 PM
jasonred007

NO GO great ideathough, I just dont want to bend or break anything. I guess I am just going to have to send back to Horizon, hopefully they will warranty it . It has not even been broke in yet. I LOVE my SAITOS and have never had this kind of problem before. Thanks for the ideas guys.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:53 PM
8D3
My Feedback: (3)

Hey guys,anyone know of a source that would have a muffler for a 1.50?Mine was the older style and I cant seem to find them new.The shops around here can only get the newer ones that look to be angled.I like the short straight profile of the one that was on the engine before.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:57 PM
w8ye

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=SAI120S74B
Old 08-27-2007, 11:19 AM
edberg

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Edberg,

You have done OK but it is time to run the engine faster for short periods and get the high speed needle set. I trust you have a propeller about 14-8 or there abouts?

for a short period put the throttle fully open and make the engine run as fast as it can with the the high speed needle valve. reduce the throttle to a lower speed and open the high speed needle about four clicks.

Run the engine at all different speeds for short periods. Let the engine cool off between tanks of fuel.

Then start working on getting the Low speed needle set.
I'm using a 14x4 Master Airscrew K-Series, But I've noticed that the tips of the propeller are vibrating back and forth, Is this because it is a soft flexible prop? I've never had this problem with the APC props I have used. Unbalanced? I've been told only wooden props need balancing, and that these are pre-balanced.

Another thing I've noticed is that even though I've leaned out the high speed one full turn, It still runs the same and will quit when the glow plug igniter is removed. There is loads of fuel coming out of the carb and is making a huge mess, Will this lessen when I lean the engine some more?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:24 AM
blw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Edberg- All props need to be checked for balance. I balance mine with the spinner and backplate.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:35 AM
scratchonly

What size wrench were you using? I'm sure we would like to prevent this happening to our engines.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:04 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jasonred007, I don't know if the prop washer would allow this, but a nut breaker might be what you need. It will destroy the nut, but it will at least be off with no damage to the threads.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67960.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	750856  
Old 08-27-2007, 01:06 PM
mikejr718

I have a saito 100 that was involved in a crash. The impact broke the pressure fitting off the muffler. I contacted horizon about getting a new fitting but was advised that I to get the brass fitting I would have to buy the entire muffler. Horizon is out of stock and will not get any in until late september. I have checked the size of the fitting against other saitos and they all seem to be the same size. I thought I could get another size muffler and simply remove the fitting but all saito mufflers seem to be out of stock. Does anyone know of somplace that might have the fittings or mufflers available. Are there any other ways of making this work. Can I solder a piece of copper fuel pipe in the hole????
Old 08-27-2007, 09:00 PM
8D3

Thanks W8YE,I think the local guy was wanting to sell me what he had in stock.I never looked at horizon,because I was told only ones availible were the newer style.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:04 PM
8D3

MikeJr,ive got a couple of O.S. 2 cycle mufflers laying around here that will never be used.You can have the pressure tap out of one of them and try it.I would think the threads would be the same.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:13 PM
jasonred007

I GOT IT !!!!!! God I love my Dremel, best fathers day gift I ever got myself. I pt on a cutting blade and went to town... being careful not to cut into the threads I cut the nut on angles and broke the pieces away until I got te wedges out from underneath, then it came right off!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all your advice guys. And thank you TimC you were the inspiration for my own nut cracker...
Old 08-27-2007, 09:16 PM
w8ye

Jason,

Good job
Old 08-27-2007, 10:03 PM
mikejr718

8D3,
I have already tried an o.s. fitting, it did not fit.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:09 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jason, nice work. I was going to suggest a Dremel and a cut-off wheel. I had it typed into my reply and then erased it. I was afraid you might have nicked the crankshaft threads and then put out a contract on me. It's a tricky and finesse cutting job and you have excelled at it.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:44 AM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: edberg

I'm using a 14x4 Master Airscrew K-Series, But I've noticed that the tips of the propeller are vibrating back and forth, Is this because it is a soft flexible prop? I've never had this problem with the APC props I have used. Unbalanced? I've been told only wooden props need balancing, and that these are pre-balanced.

Another thing I've noticed is that even though I've leaned out the high speed one full turn, It still runs the same and will quit when the glow plug igniter is removed. There is loads of fuel coming out of the carb and is making a huge mess, Will this lessen when I lean the engine some more?
The prop tips will stabilize a bit in the air since the prop won't have the torque on it that it does with no air speed. Think of it like power braking your car....wheels spin and hop but the car goes no where. The saito will run just fine with the glow igniter removed after it's leaned out. Once the engine is broken in you need to tune the high speed needle a full thottle to max rpm then richen it up 300 rpm or so. Only after that can you set the LSN. Once it is set you should go back and re-check the HSN. You will still get some fuel spitting out of the carb but it won't be nearly as much.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:45 AM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: mikejr718

I have a saito 100 that was involved in a crash. The impact broke the pressure fitting off the muffler. I contacted horizon about getting a new fitting but was advised that I to get the brass fitting I would have to buy the entire muffler. Horizon is out of stock and will not get any in until late september. I have checked the size of the fitting against other saitos and they all seem to be the same size. I thought I could get another size muffler and simply remove the fitting but all saito mufflers seem to be out of stock. Does anyone know of somplace that might have the fittings or mufflers available. Are there any other ways of making this work. Can I solder a piece of copper fuel pipe in the hole????
I just saw one in a package at my LHS today while I was looking for somthing else. I can check it for you if you can't get a hold of one.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:17 AM
blw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the OS nipples use a larger sized thread.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:57 PM
conchohoncho
My Feedback: (120)

What on board glow works best on a Saito 170 tripple?
Saito club #260
Thanks,
Richard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.