Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

ORIGINAL: w8ye

The "DOT" goes where ever it wants to. Ignore it.

What's important is the chamfer in the ID of the big end of the rod. This chamfer goes towards the crank.
Thanks.

I was looking at the following site and wasn't sure.
http://tech.flygsw.org/sick_saito4.htm
phillip
Old 09-26-2007, 08:39 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://tech.flygsw.org/sick_saito2.htm
http://tech.flygsw.org/sick_saito3.htm
http://tech.flygsw.org/sick_saito4.htm
There needs to be a way to take that stupid Saito link off that site. I've never seen such a collection of stupid information in all my life. The guy obviously knew nothing about engines. He was very good at presenting his misinformation. I wish I were that good at presenting good information? A good example is the joke in there about measuring wrist pin bosses to know which one goes to the front? The difference in the bosses is only related to the die that the piston was cast in and the accuracy of the jig and fixtures used to machine it. The bigger boss if there happens to be one, could be in either direction. I'd be careful about following his so called blue printing instructions and the piston slotting - ring land reduction practice?

If you are looking for a good site for Saito information besides RCU, go to this site. Benton Watkins does his best to keep it up to date and accurate. Most of what you need to know is in this one site. This site is also a link on the above GSW site.
http://saito-engines.info/
Old 09-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Wing-Ding

Hello Club Saito. I need help in figuring out what is going on with a Saito FA-91S I bought on RCU. I was told by the seller that the engine was "in very good condition, never been in a crash and runs great, plenty of grunt!" When I got it, I put it on a test stand to run it and get it tuned. But it absolutely WOULD NOT START and there didn't seem to be much compression. Finally after much frustration, I pulled the valve covers and observed what they were doing while turning over the crank. When the piston was approaching TDC, the INTAKE valve was wide open.

So I retimed it by aligning the dot on the bottom of the cam gear down while the piston was at TDC (as has been described in a few RCU forums). When I put it back together, it fired right up! At first I was pleased but noticed that it was making a terrible sound. From idle to WOT, there was a knocking sound coming from somewhere inside. I could get it to idle at about 2100 and WOT was around 9500 RPM (I live at about 3,000 feet above sea level). But it didn't sound good at all. So I removed the side cover and noticed that there were scrape marks on the inside of the side cover (see photo)! I could also notice that at the bottom of the cylinder walls there were deep grooves. I pulled the head off the case and after I slid the piston out I could see grooves in the piston on one side and what appeared to be gaulding marks on the other side.

My questions are these:

1. It appeared that the fit between the connecting rod and crank journal was so loose that it was striking the side cover. Could that be causing that much noise?
2. I found a bunch of blue sealant on the gaskets that had gotten into the inner workings- could that have contributed to the damage?
3. Historically, were there variations in the length of the threaded prop shaft between FA-91S models over the years? (I'm thinking this is an older engine)
4. Were there variations in muffler size and styles for the muffler? (the muffler doesn't match a new FA-91S that I have).
5. Is there any way this engine could have been described as "used, excellent", "in very good condition" or "runs great" when it had all of these problems?
6. Did I get ripped off, or what (paid over $160)?

Your comments are most welcome. Thank you very much.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57923.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	770853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16729.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	770854  
Old 09-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Wing-Ding

A few more pics:

Name:	Ge94646.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	770855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77769.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	770856  
Old 09-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Wing-Ding

One more pic: The one with the curved pipe came on the engine in question. The one with the straight pipe is from a brand new FA-91S. Can I run the curved pipe on the new engine? I need to modify the cutout in my cowl if I use the straight pipe / new muffler.

Name:	Pm35020.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	770857  
Old 09-26-2007, 10:23 PM
w8ye

Looks like someone didn't tell the truth? Better go back and Re Rate him?

The real old models had a shorter crank.

I would put a ring and bearings in it.

The swirl score marks on the back plate are somewhat normal

Yes you can interchange mufflers as long as they are both the same diameter an all 91 Saitos were the same diameter

The ring is $9.50 here

Frank Bowman
1211 N. Allen
Farmington, NM. 87401
505-327-0696 (6 pm to 9pm MST weekdays)

I get my bearings here

http://www.mcintoshcentral.com/rc-be...8fa5c4c427f08e
Old 09-27-2007, 01:14 AM
Wing-Ding

I did, in fact give him the poor rating he deserved. Thank you for the bearing link and address for the replacement ring. From your suggestion about replacing the bearings I take that you think the bulk of the abnormal noise is coming from the bearings? It does sound pretty "grindy". Do I need any special tools to replace the bearings? I guess I'll also need to pull the cam gear housing too.

It sure seems that there is a lot of clearance between the connecting rod and crank journal. The con rod must be contacting the side cover because I can lightly twist it (con rod) and measure with my digital calipers and see that it's far enough out that it would graze the cover. But if that's normal I'll leave it alone.

After I re-timed it, the compression seemed good. Do you still think I need the ring? If so, I'll get one.

I noticed the muffler that came with it has straight sides but the muffler from the new Saito FA-91S is tapered. It does appears that the average diameter of the new one is the same as the old one. The only reason I'd like to use the old one is that I already cut the cowl based on the geometry of it and would prefer to not modify it further in order to accommodate the new one.

Thanks for your help!

Marl

Name:	Om34434.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	771159  
Old 09-27-2007, 02:06 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wing-Ding

Hello Club Saito. I need help in figuring out what is going on with a Saito FA-91S I bought on RCU. I was told by the seller that the engine was "in very good condition, never been in a crash and runs great, plenty of grunt!" When I got it, I put it on a test stand to run it and get it tuned. But it absolutely WOULD NOT START and there didn't seem to be much compression. Finally after much frustration, I pulled the valve covers and observed what they were doing while turning over the crank. When the piston was approaching TDC, the INTAKE valve was wide open.

So I retimed it by aligning the dot on the bottom of the cam gear down while the piston was at TDC (as has been described in a few RCU forums). When I put it back together, it fired right up! At first I was pleased but noticed that it was making a terrible sound. From idle to WOT, there was a knocking sound coming from somewhere inside. I could get it to idle at about 2100 and WOT was around 9500 RPM (I live at about 3,000 feet above sea level). But it didn't sound good at all. So I removed the side cover and noticed that there were scrape marks on the inside of the side cover (see photo)! I could also notice that at the bottom of the cylinder walls there were deep grooves. I pulled the head off the case and after I slid the piston out I could see grooves in the piston on one side and what appeared to be gaulding marks on the other side.

My questions are these:

1. It appeared that the fit between the connecting rod and crank journal was so loose that it was striking the side cover. Could that be causing that much noise?
2. I found a bunch of blue sealant on the gaskets that had gotten into the inner workings- could that have contributed to the damage?
3. Historically, were there variations in the length of the threaded prop shaft between FA-91S models over the years? (I'm thinking this is an older engine)
4. Were there variations in muffler size and styles for the muffler? (the muffler doesn't match a new FA-91S that I have).
5. Is there any way this engine could have been described as "used, excellent", "in very good condition" or "runs great" when it had all of these problems?
6. Did I get ripped off, or what (paid over $160)?

Your comments are most welcome. Thank you very much.

---------------

I would give him a chance to give you a refund and then if he didn't, I would reveal his identity on RCU. This is assuming that you are a square shooter. Which, because I don't know you personally, assuming is all I can do. No offense intended.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-27-2007, 03:14 AM
Wing-Ding

Ed,

No offense taken. As I mentioned previously, I couldn't get the engine started and I noticed that there didn't seem to be much compression. I immediately contacted him to ask about it and he told me- and I quote, "Hi Marl, that engine has never been out of the box,never seen fuel, bought it brand new of the shelf". I knew this wasn't true, so I emailed him back to make sure he knew which transaction I was talking about and included the RCU item reference number. I mentioned that I had not expected to be receiving a new engine. At that time I told him that I suspected the valve timing was off and asked if he knew if it had been disassembled. No response. Then when I confirmed the valve timing was wrong and subsequently got the FA-91S started, I emailed him again to let him know what I had found and that the engine he said was running great and so on, couldn't have run the way it was. No response.

When I considered how mechanically noisy the engine was, the blue sealant that had gotten into everything and the amount of inconvenience he had put me through trying to get the engine started, and the fact that he wouldn't return my emails, I felt it was time to give him the feedback he deserved. However he attempted to block me from leaving feedback by marking my offer as having been "rejected". I contacted RCU about this and they explained to me that he's not allowed to do that since the transaction was actually completed. So RCU changed it so I could give him a feedback.

So I gave him a "Poor" feedback along with a factual commentary about what I had discovered about the engine. He then wrote an incredibly caustic rebuttal accusing me of being an idiot and that I had screwed up a perfectly good engine, that I should stick to building plastic models, etc. RCU removed his rebuttal.

Subsequently I PM'd him and tactfully said I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and that he might not have had first hand knowledge of the engine's condition (someone else told him it ran great and he believed them?) and that I would return the engine to him (at least it's running this time since I had fixed the valve timing problem) if he would refund my money and I would rescind my negative feedback. Haven't heard back from him yet.

Marl
Old 09-27-2007, 04:39 AM
boogermancan

humm would giveing out his or her name fall under <quote Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post.> imho he or her needs to make right and stand up
Old 09-27-2007, 06:11 AM
w8ye

There's probably been enough damage done to the seller already? Let the buyer beware. I was looking in the market place and this was not the only bad transaction like this in the market place on a Saito 91. There's another similar one. I've been reasonably lucky with only one poor transaction where I received an engine like that above. I licked my wounds and fixed it. It's a nice engine today.

There's a lot of people that buy and resell engines in different market places. They often buy in one and sell in the other or from someone locally and then resell. When you see the guy has sold 80 items in the last three months, you know he has to be a reseller?

Even though he was possibly jilted himself on this item in a precious transaction, The seller still has the responsibility to not miss represent what he is selling. Some people even act dumb about what they are selling to cover up something.

The guy I fly with just bought a 125 with supposedly less than two gallons through it. The first thing my friend noticed was a cross threaded glowplug at an angle in the head. We removed the plug and there was J-B weld all around the threads. After that was corrected, he flew it and on the second flight the rear bearing was bad. We took off the backplate and I think the seller had left a zero off the number of gallons used?

I like the statement "It Runs" which means almost worse than nothing to me.

Anymore, the statement "Has seen less than a gallon of fuel" . It might be worn out?

The hardest thing about putting bearings in a Saito is getting the drive hub off and heating the case to shake the old bearings out. You have already been through the timing bit.

If you look on that bearing site where I get my bearings, there are instructions for replacing bearings on a 2 stroke engine.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:31 AM
chrome350
My Feedback: (66)

Hi All,
I've got a Saito 100 with about 2 hrs runtime on it, 15x6 APC, OS F Plug, using 30% cool power heli fuel. I've slowly tuned the engine to lean it out to where it's been running perfect. Then I had a dead stick. I found that the glow plug had burned out and the muffler had loosened up. I replaced the original Saito plug with an OS F plug and tightened the muffler. After doing this the engine would not idle well. The low end became so rich that I had to turn in the low end screw 3-5 turns. Originally after I first tuned the engine, the low end screw was a little below flush with the throttle arm. Now after retuning, it's very far in, like an 1/8 of an inch. Is ther anything else that could make the low end become so rich all of a sudden??

Thanks,
Larry
Old 09-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Wing-Ding

w8ye,

You're right about that. I think the feedback I gave was sufficient to let the community know that they should exercise caution when dealing with him. Nothing is accomplished by revealing his name.

I read more on this forum about replacing bearings. I think I'll go for it. I have a prop hub puller already, so I ordered the bearings and ring. Maybe I can get this 91 running right after all. Sincere thanks for all your help.

Marl
Old 09-27-2007, 01:06 PM
w8ye

Any questions, you be sure and get back on here and we will talk you through the rebuild.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:07 PM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

Wow! I guess I've been lucky in all the engines I've bought on RCU and Ebay. However I have a Saito 56 and an OS 52 and I haven't tried them out yet. I guess I need to fire them up to see if they will run okay. The Saito is supposed to be new and appears that way and the OS is used but I need to see if it's okay. If problems I guess I'll learn how to rebuild.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:49 PM
w8ye

Larry, I'm not ignoring you. I've experienced this phenomena myself and I do not know the answer.

I seemed to get away from it by replacing the spray bar?
Old 09-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah baby!! Okay, it's not glow but it's a SAITO!!

Name:	Da83579.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	771956  
Old 09-28-2007, 05:39 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jim,

YOu got me thinking about the spraybar. What could make it go bad like that? There are only three things that I could think of - a burr on the fuel outlet, something clogging it (I once found a fine piece of grass in mine, belive it or not - the kind you mow, not the kind you smoke) or perhaps there is a deformity/burr caused by some kind of mis-match between the needle valve and its seat.

Just tossing in my $.02. What are your thoughts on that?

Bob
Old 09-28-2007, 06:14 PM
w8ye

The first Saito I had do this - I bought a 91 for $75 and it looked like it hadn't been cleaned off in 10 years and the needle valve body was broken off even with the carb. Those days you couldn't get a spray bar so I bought a new carb body. For some reason or another I had to screw the LS needle all the way in and it was still rich. Then the mid range was even richer but top end was OK. I put a new LS needle in and that didn't change anything. By then they started selling the carb repair kits. So I put a repair kit in the old body and the engine ran fine.

Last week I put a 72 I bought from a friend on a plane. At the field it ran like the 91 above with the idle needle all the way in. My friend says it didn't run that way for him. I removed the engine and tried it on the test stand and the engine ran Terrible there too. I have another 72 and it ran perfect. So I just put a different engine on the plane. I haven't fixed that first 72 as of yet.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:16 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jim,

Did you try swapping carbs in the 72 before you installed the 2nd engine in the plane? Just curious if the problem followed the .72 carb or if it stayed with the original engine?

Bob
Old 09-29-2007, 12:55 PM
yak52

What is the power of saito 450. There are somewere thell, that the horsepower is 5.5 hp, but is it so little.

Yak
Old 09-29-2007, 02:56 PM
kochj

I say the saito gas advertisment as well.... But when I clicked on it, it brang me to Horizon hobby web page, but no gas engine...????????????????/
That seems kind of strange to do that this early? Perhaps advertisement Dept. is Ahead of the Web page team?????

I am interested in this engine.....
RCS has a 55cc gas 4-banger, but it is priced way to high for my use... There was some comments on how it was not puting out much power, but it shows it swinging a 20x10 prop.... But again, at 1,000 too high for me.....

I am currious at least to see what the price will be?

I like the sound of the 4-strokes but the nitro fuel is just getting very high... and if you fly lots, it really begins to put a dent in you wallet....
The saito gas sounds like a great engine. Good 4-stroke sound and great fuel cost.....
If it is around 4-bills I am sold...

Name:	Zw69287.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	772669  
Old 09-29-2007, 02:59 PM
w8ye

Bob, I haven't done anything with the engine yet. I suppose I better get cracking? The bad engine was a 72 and though I have another 72 that ran perfect, I put a 56 on the plane. I've since flown it a couple dozen flights including 6 times this morning starting at dawn.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

kochj: The Saito FG-36 is already listed for sale in Singapore for $1325. If that is SGD then that would be equivalent to $892 USD.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:41 PM
iflyfisher

Got my CG Ultimate w/the Saito 150 in the air this afternoon. The Saito ran like a top! Unlimited vertical! Unfortunately I lost my gear on the first landing as a wheel got caught in a hole.

Name:	Lj22990.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	772762  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.