Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Adrenalin2m

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Hi guys, I have a Saito 125 mounted inverted in my Seagull Harrier and I have a 16x6 prop on it and to get the engine up to any where near 8,000 rpm the high speed needle has to be at 1 1/4 turns, is this ok?

Thanks Ed.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:23 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine is capable of turning much more RPM. The high speed setting varies, so any certain amount is misleading. Do you have a 15x6 that you can try out for something in the 9500 RPM range?
Old 07-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Adrenalin2m

Yes I do have a 15x6 I can put on but everything I have read so far on all the posts on the 125 say the high speed needle should be 2 to 2 1/2 turns and thats the least amount I've seen posted and mine's at 1 1/4.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Ad, we keep telling everybody to forget about counting turns, set it where the engine runs best, otherwise you'll never be happy with your engine. In my opinion the the 15x6 belongs on the Saito 1.00.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Adrenalin2m

Sounds good I'll leave the 16x6 on it, fire it up, let it warm up and run a tank through it and tach it for peak RPM then turn it back 200 to 300 RPM and not worry about the amount of turns on the needle.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:34 PM
TomTreese
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: balsaeater

ORIGINAL: TomTreese

I that doesn't work I'm getting a couple of these mufflers. Costs less than replacine a cylinder head and it looks and sounds better.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...itemId=411691#

I'm also going to put a Bru Line filter on the 150 and 180. Improves fuel efficiency by up to 30%.

I looked up the Bru line Filter at tower search option
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=RF&search3=Go
and other links

Apart from the problem to fit to the Saito trumpet air intake I fail to see where 30% fuel reduction can be made

The muffler link infers some fuel saving ???

maybe I missed something ??

Balasaeater
It depends how the engine is mounted. If it's mounted right side up or any way but upside down the fuel splashes out of the carbeurator all over the motor, motor mount and firewall.( sound familiar). The Bru Line filter keeps the fuel in the stack and therefore it gets burned.

With the filter on a Saito 100 on a MOJO ,mounted at 90*, the fuel burned dropped dramatically.

Just type "Bru Line in" the search line at the bottom and see hown many hits you get on this thread.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Michaelh
My Feedback: (4)

In all reality if you just tuned your engine up you shouldnt even know how many turns out it is Every setup is different .
I have to tune my one plane in at half tank and force it to idle at startup till it starts to lean out then only run it down 5/8ths. The beauty of a regulator is I will not have to worry about this anymore.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:47 AM
Shubova
My Feedback: (9)

Hi,
I just ordered a Cline fuel system. I spoke with Cline himself. He said that most engines will run leaner then normal with the system (regulator) until you richen it up. He also told me not to mount the fuel system to the firewall or any were else but let it hang close to the carb intake.
My best suggestion, before making any assumptions about what it will do or not do, is you call and talk to Cline, he is very knowledgeable. He is also very is easy to talk to and he said he welcomes any questions about his products.
Happy Flying!
Shubova
[8D]
Old 07-23-2008, 02:53 PM
bawls

The Saito 125 Pushrods and Sleeves are in! The Saito 125 Pushrods and Sleeves are in!

Yippee!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Michaelh

Or if you already have used them you already know what they will do No further then an inch from the carb ,I use this rule on the Iron Bay also even though the instructions say other wise.
The engine will run at the set rate through the whole tank no matter if its full or empty. Otherwise I have to keep the idle up at start up due to setting the needles at a half tank.It clears up quick but still anoying.Always readjust your needles after any changes like this to the fuel supply system.

This also reminds me. Does anyone know where I can get the needle valve for the Iron bay? The Diaphram seem good but the valve stem is leaking by.

Mike
Old 07-24-2008, 09:42 AM
rexracer

I'm a big fan of the Cline regulator, too. I've seen my 1.80 idle in the 1200's and watched it idle for over a minute at 1350 rpms with the Cline. It idles smooth at 1600. and at 1800 on the test stand I can slap the throttle to wide open, and it transitions without a hiccup. I fly around 1900-2000.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Mikecam

Glad to hear that bawls. [8D]
Old 07-25-2008, 04:19 PM
blw

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

In my opinion the the 15x6 belongs on the Saito 1.00.
Haven't tried a 16" prop yet on mine, but the APC 15x6 is pretty good. I need to pull off the velocity stack the next time I take off the cowl. Maybe a 15.5" Bolly would do better?

By the way, I have a tape on John Force's career, and he talks about Don Garlits back in his days of drag racing. He said that Don was so competitive that he would drive across the U.S. during the summer for the next race with the heat on full, and his windows rolled up just so he would be hot and mad when he arrived at the track. That was how me motivated himself!
Old 07-26-2008, 08:09 PM
wingstrut

I did not see an FA62A Saito mentioned, I planned on purchasing one, should I look for a different size.
Is there a problem with this engine?
Help will be appreciated on this one.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:13 PM
wingstrut

Gentlemen, I have entered my question twice in this forum and have not seen it posted, I must be doing something wrong. anyway here's my question.

I plan on purchasing a Saito FA62A but I have not seen it mentioned in your forum, is there something wrong with that engine? should I get the 56 instead? Help would be much appreciated,Thank you
Old 07-27-2008, 06:33 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Michaelh

In all reality if you just tuned your engine up you shouldnt even know how many turns out it is Every setup is different .
I have to tune my one plane in at half tank and force it to idle at startup till it starts to lean out then only run it down 5/8ths. The beauty of a regulator is I will not have to worry about this anymore.

Actually, if you treat your engine correctly and do not settle for "just getting away with it", you should check your engine's high speed needle setting before every day's flying session begins, even with a Cline Regulator.

Why?

Because instead of having fixed timing, as you would with a spark plug and ignition unit, your glow engine's timing is affected by ambient temperature, humidity, barometric pressure and probably the phase of the Moon (joking on the latter). The high speed needle is used to not only adjust the fuel mixture to the correct ratio, but also to adjust the timing of your glow engine.

Yes, I know that you'll hear people talking about not having adjusted their engine for two or three years. Those who started out richer than need be will probably not have had any problems, but those pilots that need every last erg of power and who tuned the engine right up to the edge of being too lean are going to experience mysterious deadsticks, backfiring with lost props and a not pleasant sounding engine when the weather changes sufficiently.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but when you hear someone implying that you do not need to adjust that needle valve daily, make a mental note that that person doesn't know squat about glow engines.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Michaelh

So your implying that I said that Ed? I said nothing of the sorts.
Nor did I say the Cline would allow me to this. It would allow me to run the correct mixture from full to empty.
As Im a pretty decent 3D pilot I need a reliable engine when Im 5' off the ground with the nose pointed straight up. It has taken me a While to be comfortable with a glow engine while doing this and Im not out to screw myself or any of you.

Being that you Quote me then say this gets me wondering on your intentions.

My engines perform!
Mike
Old 07-28-2008, 01:33 AM
Shubova
My Feedback: (9)

I installed the Cline…it works great. I had a problem when I install a Satio180 in GP Super Stearman. The tank is higher then the spray bar in the carb and the fuel would siphon out of the carb. The Cline...solve that one quick.
The only mistake I made is when I went to fill the tank; part of the Cline system as some of you already know requires the use of a check valve in the pressure line. The check valve would not let the air pressure exhaust when filling. So I cut the line between the tank and check valve then added a piece of brass tubing to the line so that it would exhaust when filling and when I am finished fueling up all I have to do is reconnect the line together.
Happy Flying!
Shubova
[8D]
Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Michaelh

So your implying that I said that Ed? I said nothing of the sorts.
Nor did I say the Cline would allow me to this. It would allow me to run the correct mixture from full to empty.
As Im a pretty decent 3D pilot I need a reliable engine when Im 5' off the ground with the nose pointed straight up. It has taken me a While to be comfortable with a glow engine while doing this and Im not out to screw myself or any of you.

Being that you Quote me then say this gets me wondering on your intentions.

My engines perform!
Mike

-

No, Mike. Obviously you did not say that. I must have been on one of my frequent excursions to Lah-Lah Land yesterday. I simply can't explain it. No hidden agendas here. My apologies to you.

Ed Cregger

Old 07-28-2008, 08:59 AM
blw

ORIGINAL: wingstrut

Gentlemen, I have entered my question twice in this forum and have not seen it posted, I must be doing something wrong. anyway here's my question.

I plan on purchasing a Saito FA62A but I have not seen it mentioned in your forum, is there something wrong with that engine? should I get the 56 instead? Help would be much appreciated,Thank you
I don't have this engine, nor have I seen one run but all reports on it have been good from what I know. Sometimes, a really great engine like the Saito .56 just doesn't get much said about it. One reason is they never give any problems. Plus, the .62 is still new to the Saito line. I have been told that it is even better than the .56, which is really something.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:39 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There was a lot of talk about the 62 when it first came out.

I have a 62 Golden Knight version. They have noticeably more power than a 56. There is nothing wrong with them.

There's nothing wrong with a 56 either. I have three.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:46 AM
TomTreese

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received my Saito 180 from Saito Service. The one that was vibrating the muffler off on the DP Ultimate. It seems that every engine I put on the Ultimate that happens. First the 150 and now the 180.

So this time I installed The Turboheader Muffler. It went on easily, although I had to remove the intake pipe to screw it on.
It looks and sounds great and fit much better under the cowling. I also picked up about 200 rpm, not that that was an issue.

So far I have run the engine 30 minutes and no sign of loosening. I'll try flying with it today.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...itemId=411691#
Old 07-28-2008, 01:29 PM
boogermancan

i have added to my collection a new to me use 82 .. no velocity stack on this one. it make a mess all inside the cowling. raw fule all over it flys less time to. going to putt the gk back in it and find a bird that has a upside down mount for this one .<<<<<<ps letts all send saito a tell all saitos should come with a velocity stack>>>>>
Old 07-28-2008, 02:47 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sometimes a Saito engine will be messy in spite of a velocity stack. It has to do with the mixture setting, the amount of ring blow-by, the way the crankcase vent is plumbed, and the condition of the seal on the front bearing.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:38 PM
onecuwldood

ORIGINAL: wingstrut

We have a club member with one on a Showtime 50 and it does GREAT! As others have said, I've not heard of any problems with them, only good stuff. Should be a fine addition to anyone's collection.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.