Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

SPOT ON MATE!
Old 11-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The No Maintainance I alluded to would lead to the valve lash getting larger over time albiet ever so slowly. I suspect though that leaving them too loose would lead to accelerated wear as would over revving. I prop all mine except the littlest ones in the mid to upper nines.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:22 AM
EZchopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh No!!! You mentioned the FG36
I had a tiny thought about one of those for the 160 size Extra
I really can't afford one @£499 + , that's $1,195 yours
Be nice to know the price of it over there

There's the FG20 soon, but it's not in the UK yet

I have a CRRC 26i so I'm not going to change the spec of the Extra

About the Decathlon
A club mate wants to sell his Banchee which has a near new Saito 82A
He's asking less for it than me buying a New 62, so the d'caff is still on upgading

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy
Chop, I don't buy that for one minute, I have about 12 MDS engines from a .48 to a 2.18 and their machine work is first rate. I have flown all but a used .58 I bought and one of the 2.18s. My .78 and one of the 1.48s are converted to Diesel operation.
Hi Hobbsy,
You are probably the only MDS owner I know that's had one working well as is

I have the 48 and 78 and moded both, plus a few club mates too
They run really well now and surprises everyone
I've also found that the only plug they run well on is an Enya No.3
They also don't like straight fuel or 10%. I normally use 5% or mixed to 2.5%

To be honest I wouldn't recommend one. In UK they are slightly more expensive than the SC
We've had very little or no problems with SC's

Maybe there should be a club MDS in this forum, if there is I can't find it
Old 11-03-2008, 08:47 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

EZ...no "Club MDS"
Probably because there seems to be far fewer people who actually like them vs. the ones who don't...

Virtually every MDS thread ends up with a bunch of bashing in it...(oh well... ) Sometimes literally...there was a pic of a .40 or .48 that a guy took a sledge hammer to!

3 or 4 yrs. ago our hobby shop got 2 dozen .40's when Horizon decided to drop the MDS line...
He sold 'em for $44.95...got rid of all of them...
My brother and I got one ea. and got ours running quite well...but I never heard a word of any of the others?

I have a .78 that goes like the hammers![8D]

Sorry for the brief side-track fellow Saito members...
Old 11-03-2008, 10:57 AM
EZchopper

ORIGINAL: proptop

EZ...no "Club MDS"
Probably because there seems to be far fewer people who actually like them vs. the ones who don't...

Virtually every MDS thread ends up with a bunch of bashing in it...(oh well... ) Sometimes literally...there was a pic of a .40 or .48 that a guy took a sledge hammer to!

3 or 4 yrs. ago our hobby shop got 2 dozen .40's when Horizon decided to drop the MDS line...
He sold 'em for $44.95...got rid of all of them...
My brother and I got one ea. and got ours running quite well...but I never heard a word of any of the others?

I have a .78 that goes like the hammers![8D]

Sorry for the brief side-track fellow Saito members...
HaHa
I can picture the picture, that's how I got my MDS 48
Club mate took it out of his plane at the field, put it under a wheel and ran over it (I didn't see that bit)
What I saw was he was looking for a club hammer to bash it, because the ground was soft and the engine embedded in it
I stopped him, said I'll have it, so dug it up, took it apart, did a few mods and now as said runs really well
He does a cuckoo when MDS is mentioned now

Well the real story is:
When I wanted to start 4 stroking, I brought a secondhand OS30 4 stroke, just to play with, learning how to tune it etc...
The engine was excellent condition, well run in....everything was easy as any OS 2 stroke

No problems I thought so I got me a brand spanking new Saito 125a
Did the needle settings as per manual (needle 5 turns out), didn't touch the low needle, ran about 6 tanks at under 4000rpm (5 mins on 14 oz tank, total 30mins)
Each tank after, started winding high needle in by about 1/2
6 tanks later needle was about 2 turns (ish) out, still (5 mins on 14 oz tank) total 60mins running time so far
The next tank, full throttle got under 8000rpm on 16x6 prop. down to idle was 2500rpm any less would really thump and stop
So time to adjust low needle, but instructions say peak high needle first
Start to wind in high needle at full throttle, no increase in rpm, needle too lean, engine stops
Reset needle to 5 turns out, full throttle (8000rpm ish), wind in needle untill engine stops and still same rpm
By now it had nearly 120min run time and I wasn't liking this engine
So I set needle to 2 1/2 turns out and flew it, still fast idle and fast landings
Nearly another gallon later the idle was alot smoother
I started winding high needle in and whala the rpm changed and increased
I managed to peak the rpm and set the low needle
Now with 16x6 prop I get over 9000rpm and idle under 1800rpm (with 16x4w prop it punches dangerously over 10000rpm)
Now I get near 20mins on a 14oz tank of fuel

What I'm trying to say is, if I gave up early then I would probably not like the Saito
It's been the same with my other Saito's that I need to run them in long before I can tune them in well
I think alot of people who say their Saitos lack power is they have not run it in yet
When you get to know an engine, they become easier to handle and set up

My new Saito's now go through this run in process:
3 tanks (needle 5 turns out) at 3500rpm
3 tanks (needle 5 turns out) at 4000rpm
3 tanks (needle 4 turns out) very gentle flying
Set needle 3 turns out and fly gentle to progressive
About 1 gallon later start checking high needle
Normally 1 1/2 to 2 gallons the high needle responds well
Then I peak the high and low needles

How does everyone else run in their Saito's ?

Sorry for the long post
Any advice still greatly appreciated
Old 11-03-2008, 12:08 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Tuning Saitos isn't that difficult somewhere around the 3rd or 4th tank of fuel. Peak your HS and lean out the LS until it is set just a bit rich from where it will take throttle advancing without any stumbles, etc. You should periodically peak the HS again during this process. Once that is done, find the peak of the HS and richen it about 500 RPM for a few flights in the air. If you keep leaning it until it dies or throws a prop, you will probably never get one tuned right.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:13 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: AircamperAce

Hey guys, I picked up a Saito .72 in a swap. It looks nice and shiny but I found a few issues so far; first, the crank is very stiff/rough, plan is to dump some MMO in it and give it time to soak. I may get to learn how to change out bearings if it doesn't smooth out. Next, the mount holes look over-sized, I may try to make some sort of bushing to slide in there, not sure, any ideas? And last, what is the purpose of the ring on the intake tube? Mine looks damaged, does it serve any purpose?

Ryan
Dumping glow fuel will probably free the engine up faster and better if it has been sitting on a shelf for a long time. I would run it before making the bearing decision.

The metal ring gasket on the manifold is to assist in sealing the fitting. Any air getting past this fitting will result in erratic and lean runs. It will drive you crazy if you don't know about this.

You can use larger screws/bolts on the mounting tabs along with washers. Some people enlarge the holes for whatever reasons. I've seen some sloppy work on some engines.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:41 PM
EZchopper

Hi blw,

I've had 4 new Saito's so far
None have responded to the needle well until over a gallon

My religous run in process seems to work well for me now
Except I'm burning more fuel than I would like running in

Anyway, gentle flying for a gallon on a new plane gives me time get to know it better
Old 11-04-2008, 05:26 AM
Rudolph Hart

Hey i disagree EZ,even a fool like me can do it on three or four tanks.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

40 minutes tops for break in and set needles at 20 minutes, from that point on other factors will determine needle changes more than additional run time.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:18 PM
hostile77
My Feedback: (1)

I apologize if this has been covered covered already in this friggin huge thread . I have an 82 on a GP Matt Chapman 580. The small one. I'm running a 13x9 APC. Runnign cool power 15%. Haven't tach'd it though. Lost mine the other day. Seems to run great on the ground, very responsive. In the air however, after a few minutes at full throttle it wants to bog down and want to deadstick. When I hear this happening I drop the throttle to idle, and it seems to regain. Then its fine until I land. Is this a tuning issue? Should I richen the top end a bit and see if that helps? I bought the engine used on the plane so the low-end was already adjusted,. Could it be the low side? If so, how do I adjust it. Never owned a saito before. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:05 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

13 X 9 is too much prop and your engine is going lean or getting hot
Old 11-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Mikecam

Also check any inline filters as if they are partially plugged it could effect WOT. Happened to me. Low and mid were fine but fuel flow wasn't enough at full throttle.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:40 AM
Rudolph Hart

You're right mate this is a huge thread,lifeline too when you are struggling to comprehend it all your way,when learning or re-learning.New way for us semi oldtimers to learn about all sorts of things.

To your question you almost answered yourself,it's way to lean.Spend some bucks and richen it up
Old 11-05-2008, 09:25 AM
sodbuster 1

anybody know what pitch the thread is for the 12 mm exhaust thread?
Old 11-05-2008, 10:52 AM
bassfish

Hi Ya'll! Glad ya got to see me! How ya'll are? I ain't sure but by "pitch", I assume that you mean "thread size". And in answere to your question,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I don't know.-But you can call Horizon and they will be able to tell ya !!!!!!!!![sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 11-05-2008, 12:05 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

12 x 1
John
Old 11-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Michaelh
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: hostile77

I apologize if this has been covered covered already in this friggin huge thread . I have an 82 on a GP Matt Chapman 580. The small one. I'm running a 13x9 APC. Runnign cool power 15%. Haven't tach'd it though. Lost mine the other day. Seems to run great on the ground, very responsive. In the air however, after a few minutes at full throttle it wants to bog down and want to deadstick. When I hear this happening I drop the throttle to idle, and it seems to regain. Then its fine until I land. Is this a tuning issue? Should I richen the top end a bit and see if that helps? I bought the engine used on the plane so the low-end was already adjusted,. Could it be the low side? If so, how do I adjust it. Never owned a saito before. Thanks for any help.

The 13x7 is popular and you'll get to slow down some. If its 3d capable the 14x4W is key and on 30% the 15x4W Ive seen guys 3d with the 13x7 quite well also.
14x6 APC work well for IMAC . 14x6 scimatar also
Old 11-05-2008, 08:23 PM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

have you seen the price of the saito 125 now!
Old 11-05-2008, 08:29 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks like a fifty dollar jump across the board for all engines[X(]
Old 11-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Race21
My Feedback: (20)

Any ideas on prop and fuel on a Saito 180? LS needle is perfect. HS wont get rich enough. 4, 5, even 6 turns out and it won't go rich. Running 15% and have tried a couple of props (16x8- too small I think, and a 17x6). In flight the engine goes lean after a few minutes and quits. Have a Cline regulator set up as illustrated. Is the prop the problem? Any ideas appreciated.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:45 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad I'm not looking for any new engines !!
Old 11-05-2008, 08:50 PM
mike early

Not good.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:01 PM
AJsToyz

So far I've had great luck , my 72 was 130.00 used my 82 was 140.00 and my 100 was only 150.00 , that one came with a pitts muffler and a stock muffler.

Andy
Old 11-05-2008, 09:02 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Race21

Any ideas on prop and fuel on a Saito 180? LS needle is perfect. HS wont get rich enough. 4, 5, even 6 turns out and it won't go rich. Running 15% and have tried a couple of props (16x8- too small I think, and a 17x6). In flight the engine goes lean after a few minutes and quits. Have a Cline regulator set up as illustrated. Is the prop the problem? Any ideas appreciated.

i run a 17x8 apc and its perfect, as far as the cline i used one and started having the same problems as you, first you need the regulator as close to the needle nipple as you can get it, if you still have problems you can do as i and take it off and toss it in a drawer, i also went to a side mount and i put my fuel tank back up front and went with a great running engine instead of all the hassels the cline presented me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55088.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1066339  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.