Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

NO - not yet
Old 12-21-2008, 06:07 AM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mike109

G'day OF. The sound of a Merlin or two is one of the most wonderful sounds around. At Temora Aero Museum, they have not one but two Spitfires - a Mk VIII and a Mk 16 (my $2 keyboard won't let me type a Roman 10). They fly them regularly. When I was last there they were flying the Mk VIII together with a P51D. The sound of them together was spine tingling. They also have an amazing range of aircraft from a Ryan ST-M to a Canberra Bomber, Meteor and Vampire. And they all fly. Wonderful stuff. Well worth a look at their site - just Google Temora Aero Museum. They fly once a month for most months. I also have the plans for one of these - A CAC Boomerang fighter. It flies too. How about a Saito R170 in one of these?
Hey Mike are the plans you have from the airbourne mag and how does she fly? I have liked the look of this plane forever and if I hear of a positive report I would get the plan. Cheers the pope
Old 12-21-2008, 06:16 AM
mike109

G'day The plan is the Airborne one. I am told that the plan has a number of errors but it is possible to correct them in the building. A friend makes short form laser cut kits and his version of the plan is said to be correct.

I did build the small electric that was being sold a couple of years ago and it flew well once I managed to get it off the ground. The UC was very close to the C of G and as a result it would easily tip onto its nose when trying to rise off ground. I moved the wheels forward and she flew really well though the landings were more or less controlled crashes.

Some time this year I may have a go at building from the plan. If I do I will buy Brownie's short form kit. And of course it will have a Saito for making the noise.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:27 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi and yes but you get to carry a lot more fuel first up.18 x8 or 19 by 7 if i can get one.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:29 AM
Rudolph Hart

Same to you paul and all others here

PFB
Old 12-21-2008, 06:36 AM
Rudolph Hart

Hi mike the cac boomerang is a really short stubby touchy little bugger,nice looking and as you know there is a fully restored one flying just down the road.The radial would be awesome
Old 12-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Slug, you will want to add several ounces of castor to the fuel you bought or you'll be back here whining about the bearings going bad. If you had bought WildCat Premium Extra you would have been perfectly safe.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:54 AM
RC Specialties

Dave,

How many ounces per gallon if using total synthetic? I have been told one ounce.

Jim
Old 12-21-2008, 11:25 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

I add 4oz of oil to a jug of omega to bring the total oil content up to nearly 20%.

Adding 1 oz of anything to a full jug will bring the total content up less than one percentage point.

Mike
Old 12-21-2008, 11:38 AM
RC Specialties

Thanks, Mike
Old 12-21-2008, 12:11 PM
dirtrod

Hey guys, i just was wondering if anyone has had a problem stripping the gear on the crank and or the cam on a .65 SAITO GK? Mine did both. It was in air when it happend.Seemed to be running fine then all of the sudden it went dead.Landed and checked it out we were surprised to find that!thanks,TY
Old 12-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Cloud Cruiser

Whats up Ty!

Robert
Old 12-21-2008, 12:29 PM
dirtrod

Hey Robert,

Just wanted to see if anyone has had the same problem with their saito.

thanks,TY

Old 12-21-2008, 01:50 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hobbsy and Slug,

If I can chime in here, I used to use an all-synthetic fuel because it was the one that I could get from my LHS. It was good fuel, but I wanted some caster in it.

I would add about 1/3 cup of Bakers AA (also available at my LHS) per gallon of fuel to give me a 2% caster mix. If you wanted 3% caster, then add 1/2 cup.

I don't know if those numbers are any use to you, just thought that I'd be a busy-body and toss in my $.02.

Bob
Old 12-21-2008, 04:09 PM
RC Specialties

Gentlemen,

I have been doing some bench testing of the Saito 1.25 this weekend. I found that the APC 15x6 had a peak rpm of 10k and the APC 15x8 peaked at 9k. I prefer to run in the mid 9k range. Has any one found a prop that peaks in the 9k range? Maybe a Graupner 15x8 would slow it down just enough.

Jim
Old 12-21-2008, 04:36 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't use a tach very often but my 125 sure sounds about right with a APC 16-6 using the original muffler. Mine sounded too fast with the 15-6. I think I have a 15-8 but didn't try it on the 125
Old 12-21-2008, 04:47 PM
RC Specialties

w8ye,

Normally the 16x6 would be comparable to the 15x8 in rpm. On this engine, I don't know. It has had me puzzled all around. I have been testing different exhaust configurations and no matter what you try, it is the same as the stock set up. I think Saito did a good job tuning the stock muffler for peak performance on this engine. However, I still want to get to the mid 9k range on rpm's.

Jim
Old 12-21-2008, 07:41 PM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RC Specialties

w8ye,

Normally the 16x6 would be comparable to the 15x8 in rpm. On this engine, I don't know. It has had me puzzled all around. I have been testing different exhaust configurations and no matter what you try, it is the same as the stock set up. I think Saito did a good job tuning the stock muffler for peak performance on this engine. However, I still want to get to the mid 9k range on rpm's.

Jim
It seems that Saito rates the 125 only to 10,000 RPMs. Most other Saitos are at 12,000 and 11,000 RPMs. If you get 9500 RPM on the bench, can we assume it will unwind in the air more than 500RPM? Or, is revving this engine to 11,000RPM not really a big deal?

Old 12-21-2008, 07:55 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I don't use a tach very often but my 125 sure sounds about right with a APC 16-6 using the original muffler. Mine sounded too fast with the 15-6. I think I have a 15-8 but didn't try it on the 125

-

Some years ago (nearly twenty), the 16x6 was the normal prop for a YS 1.20NC. This was before YS went nitro crazy. It is good that the Saito 1.25a can pull such a prop well.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-21-2008, 08:16 PM
RC Specialties

Mike,

You make a good point. I will have to rethink the mid 9k for this engine. Thanks.

Jim
Old 12-22-2008, 07:13 AM
Rudolph Hart

Good point jim,i get scared flicking the 62 backwards and when the 220 arives my field cred is gone
Old 12-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Jim, I came to the conclusion that the 1.25 is a 9,000 to 9,500 rpm engine and we'll just have to use it that way. Its a workhorse but not a HotRod, more and more engines are being built that way for noise reduction and I like quiet. Here is a side by side of the 1.25 and 1.15 mufflers, no need to explain which is which.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20966.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1094315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49612.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1094316  
Old 12-22-2008, 11:19 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Old Fart

Good point jim,i get scared flicking the 62 backwards and when the 220 arives my field cred is gone

Some fellows just spin the spinner back against compression, keeping their fingers out of the prop arc.

Which 2.20 did you get? The glow or the spark?

Ed Cregger
Old 12-22-2008, 01:04 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, basically, what Morgan Fuels is putting out on their website is bad gouge. I wish my LHS would stock Wildcat Premium Extra.

http://www.morganfuel.com/omega_faq.htm#3

Is 17% oil enough?

Short answer: Yes!

Long Answer: There are 2 major reasons for that emphatic yes.

1, Many of the lubricant recommendation haven’t been changed in 35 years since I started flying. They are still based on fuels that use only castor oil as a lubricant. Modern synthetics are a vast improvement over AA Castor so you need much less. All engine manufacturers exaggerate the amount of needed lubrication, because they have to take into consideration a complete novice tuning the engine and not knowing what bargain basement brand of fuel that you may buy so they "require" more lubricant. Actually there has been a shift at some of the manufacturers lately. They are getting negative feedback from their customers telling them their engines don't run well on the high amounts of lubrication they are suggesting.

2, CleanCastor™ has excellent wetting properties giving it a superb anti-scuffing advantage under high bearing loads. The polarity of our castor in combination with our specifically formulated additive package and high-viscosity base stock fluids will provide a perfect balance of performance and protection. Our Ultra-Viscosity lubricant (meaning that it protects your engine like 19%-20% regular viscosity lube) and regular viscosity lubes are like comparing 100 to 1 outboard motor lube and 30 to 1 lube, both give you adequate protection but using the higher viscosity lube puts more methanol and nitro in the chamber giving you better transition and top end.

To dispel any misgivings you may have about the lubricant content of our fuel it is used by more modelers around the world than any other brand. World and National champions such as Chen Zarefati, Wolfgang and Roland Matt, Chip Hyde, Wayne Mann, Dwight Shilling, Cliff Hiatt, Quique Somenzini, Jason Krause, Todd Bennett, Kirk Grey, Andy Brown, Greg DeGani, Nir Meir, Scott Grey, Gary Wright, Ivan Kristensen…they use the same off the shelf fuel you buy at your local hobby shop. We do not pay anyone to use Cool Power or Omega, so there only reason for choosing it is because it works as promised. Are they having lubrication problems, no quite the contrary? If these fellas aren’t having problems with the extreme conditions of competition flying I’m fairly confident you won’t either.

******** Edit *********

I just went to the Wildcat site, http://www.wildcatfuels.com/fuel_premiumx.htm ,
and here's what it says about Premium Extra:

PREMIUM XTRA Available in 10% and 15% nitro's contains 18% total oil with a composition of 80% synthetic and 20% degummed racing castor. The extra 2% oil being for ringed, bushed engines, break-in, and where extra oil is simply wanted or required by warranty.

I'm not at all trying to be a wise-guy...I am totally new to Saito 4-stroke. But, this fuel is 18%, vs 17% oil for Omega. Both are 80/20 synthetic/castor. Does 1% total oil content make that big of a difference? Omega will ruin bearings at 17%, but Wildcat Premium Extra won't at 18%? Or do both need added oil to get them to 20% total oil?

Old 12-22-2008, 01:18 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

So, basically, what Morgan Fuels is putting out on their website is bad gouge. I wish my LHS would stock Wildcat Premium Extra.

http://www.morganfuel.com/omega_faq.htm#3

Is 17% oil enough?

Short answer: Yes!

Long Answer: There are 2 major reasons for that emphatic yes.

1, Many of the lubricant recommendation haven’t been changed in 35 years since I started flying. They are still based on fuels that use only castor oil as a lubricant. Modern synthetics are a vast improvement over AA Castor so you need much less. All engine manufacturers exaggerate the amount of needed lubrication, because they have to take into consideration a complete novice tuning the engine and not knowing what bargain basement brand of fuel that you may buy so they "require" more lubricant. Actually there has been a shift at some of the manufacturers lately. They are getting negative feedback from their customers telling them their engines don't run well on the high amounts of lubrication they are suggesting.

2, CleanCastor™ has excellent wetting properties giving it a superb anti-scuffing advantage under high bearing loads. The polarity of our castor in combination with our specifically formulated additive package and high-viscosity base stock fluids will provide a perfect balance of performance and protection. Our Ultra-Viscosity lubricant (meaning that it protects your engine like 19%-20% regular viscosity lube) and regular viscosity lubes are like comparing 100 to 1 outboard motor lube and 30 to 1 lube, both give you adequate protection but using the higher viscosity lube puts more methanol and nitro in the chamber giving you better transition and top end.

To dispel any misgivings you may have about the lubricant content of our fuel it is used by more modelers around the world than any other brand. World and National champions such as Chen Zarefati, Wolfgang and Roland Matt, Chip Hyde, Wayne Mann, Dwight Shilling, Cliff Hiatt, Quique Somenzini, Jason Krause, Todd Bennett, Kirk Grey, Andy Brown, Greg DeGani, Nir Meir, Scott Grey, Gary Wright, Ivan Kristensen…they use the same off the shelf fuel you buy at your local hobby shop. We do not pay anyone to use Cool Power or Omega, so there only reason for choosing it is because it works as promised. Are they having lubrication problems, no quite the contrary? If these fellas aren’t having problems with the extreme conditions of competition flying I’m fairly confident you won’t either.

-

I did not say they were giving bad or false information. I did not imply it either, IIRC.

I do not doubt for a second that any successful fuel manufacturer knows far more about the subject than myself. My thoughts are based upon that "warm and fuzzy" feeling I get when I know that my engine is protected by a little bit of castor oil in the fuel. With that said, I flew for nearly half a decade using Morgan's Cool Power and never had a single engine problem. But, I ran OS, Webra and Enya engines while burning their fuel. All of these engines were running tuned pipes and were tuned for maximum yell, minus a little extra richness to account for fuel burn off during the flight. I ALWAYS used Marvel Air Tool Oil religiously after a day's flying. But I do that with any fuel that I use.

Why do you think I am disagreeing with Morgan's? I don't remember well these days. I may have said something that I cannot recall, but I doubt if I was directly opposing what they said. Then again, I could be mistaken.

Oh, just to show you how much faith I have in them. I bought a few gallons (case) of their 30% heli fuel a while back. It utilizes the Ultra Viscosity oil that they mentioned in the copy that you quoted. My usual fuels these days are Wildcat and Omega. I can't see paying more for fuel than that. It might be different were I flying F3A.

Ed Cregger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.