Old 01-31-2006, 08:30 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

ORIGINAL: Kmot

ORIGINAL: William Robison

EdC:

Do you really think 24 hours of soaking will remove all the discoloration, and let us see the beautiful bare metal again?

Haw.

Bill.
24 hours of soaking? Phooey!!

2 minutes in a bead blaster cabinet will take care of all that discolortion.

----------

Ya did good. It looks beautiful.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:33 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Slight change of subject here.. I haven't been getting any notices of updates, even though I'm still subscribed. Been getting them for other threads, though. Has anyone else had this problem?

OK, back onto the thread. My F-82A was sounding pretty clunky at idle. Checked the valves and they were about .004 - .005 or so.

I thought about what I'd seen earlier about .001 or .0015 for the valve lash. I mic'd some Reynolds Wrap at about .0015 and used that as a feeler guage. Does anyone have any comments on that method? I haven't had a chance to start the engine up yet to see how it runs. But, the valve lash is just barely discernable now, when it was extremely noticable before...

Bob
Old 01-31-2006, 09:59 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Bob:

I posted once about using the cellophane from a cigarette pack, that measures consistently at 0.001" thickness. Folded double you have the 0.002" for adjustment.

My thought on the "Tin" foil, or Reynolds Wrap, is that it would tear too easily. Might be OK, though. Let us know how it works.

Bill.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:09 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good on the 1.25 Gary. I notice you are using a Cline regulator. Is the fuel tank back on the CG?
Old 01-31-2006, 10:15 PM
William Robison

[b]Bob:

Another point. Some sort of bug wormed its way into the email system at RCU, affeting only the engines forum. None of us were getting notification, and often errors when posting. There is a thread about it in "Glow Engines." It seems to be all OK now.

Bill.
[/ b]
Old 01-31-2006, 10:35 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: TimC

Looking good on the 1.25 Gary. I notice you are using a Cline regulator. Is the fuel tank back on the CG?
thanks Tim, yes i do have it over cg, really helps with this plane, or so i like it anyways
did ya make it back from Texas, been having some great weather here in Trona.
here is a pic of my tank.
yea guys, i havent been getting notices either, had to go in manually to get here, i knew you guys were not that quiet[X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85848.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	399502  
Old 02-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Jack211

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: William Robison

Bob:

I posted once about using the cellophane from a cigarette pack, that measures consistently at 0.001" thickness. Folded double you have the 0.002" for adjustment.

My thought on the "Tin" foil, or Reynolds Wrap, is that it would tear too easily. Might be OK, though. Let us know how it works.

Bill.

[/quote

Did I miss the memo? Are folks saying the feeler gauges provided with their Saitos are the wrong thickness? For which engines?

What are the signs of the tappets being set at the wrong tolerance? Do things wear to produce a larger or a smaller tolerance?

Jack
Old 02-01-2006, 08:58 AM
IronCross

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Another point. Some sort of bug wormed its way into the email system at RCU, affeting only the engines forum. None of us were getting notification, and often errors when posting. There is a thread about it in "Glow Engines." It seems to be all OK now.

Bill.
[/ b]
I don't think so Bill... As of this morning it has been weeks since I have gotten a notification from the engine forum only... Not haveing any error problems.. Just not getting subscription notifications...
Old 02-01-2006, 09:15 AM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, this notification came in OK for me... thanks.. I noticed that I had been subscribed but hadn't been getting the notices. I unsubscribed and subscribed again, and now I seem to be back in the fold.

The tin foil idea seems to work OK. Yeah, you have a point about it tearing. What I did was to depress the valve a little way with my fingernail, slide the foil in, then release the valve gently. Just checked for minimal drag on the foil. I handled it gently, so it didn't rip.

I hadn't thought about the celophane from a cigarette package. Does that mean that I have to take up smoking again???

Bob
Old 02-01-2006, 09:24 AM
IronCross

Hmmm... I got a notification on that last post by Niedm.. Maybe it is working now...
Old 02-01-2006, 09:25 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

Well, this notification came in OK for me... thanks.. I noticed that I had been subscribed but hadn't been getting the notices. I unsubscribed and subscribed again, and now I seem to be back in the fold.

The tin foil idea seems to work OK. Yeah, you have a point about it tearing. What I did was to depress the valve a little way with my fingernail, slide the foil in, then release the valve gently. Just checked for minimal drag on the foil. I handled it gently, so it didn't rip.

I hadn't thought about the celophane from a cigarette package. Does that mean that I have to take up smoking again???

Bob

----------------

As long as you can see some light between the pushrod and the rocker arm adjustment screw, it's okay. It really isn't critical at all.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Jack211

Kmot, if you paint the head, doesn't that increase the heat retention of the metal, defeating the purpose of the fins? If not, what kind of paint are you using?

THEY ARE BEEEEUUUUTIFUL!

Jack
Old 02-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Jack211

Kmot, re the painted Saitos: If you paint the heads, won't that increase heat retention, defeating the fins' purpose? If not, what kind of paint do you use?

THEY ARE BEEEUUUTIFUL!

Jack
Old 02-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Jack211

ORIGINAL: hobbsy

The difference is 16% 80/20 castor/syn blend for the Premium and 18% same blend for the Premium Extra, I have run both and can't tell the difference, even the RCVs which recommend against 18% runs the same on either.
Hobbsy, I don't think the effect from the percent of oil is in how they RUN but in how they are preserved. My 82a went through some bearings recently. Horizon replaced them for free, but TOLD me they shouldn't have. There should have been NO rust in there--I've ALWAYS found lots of castor in that engine whenever I looked, BUT--huge BUT--nitromethane produces HIGHLY corrosive residue (nitric acid, probably) with any moisture present (always is). I'm using the auto trasmission fluid as after run oil now, for both 2 and 4 strokes.

By the way, I use Wildcat Premium fuels, 15% nitro. I order direct from them, by the CASE. You can get 12 cases of fuel shipped for $12.70 per gallon, $610, total cost. The shipping (with HAZMAT charges) are $72 whether you order one or 12 cases (4 gals/case). So we get a bunch of guys together to order 12 cases at a time. Comes by truck within a week.

They don't mind dealing with individuals, so if you or your club wish to order that way (and they WILL mix fuels/percent nitro, etc.), call "John" at Wildcat Fuels 888-815-7575. And do ME a favor, tell him Reynolds from Upper Michigan sent you. He's done me a few favors. I owe him.

Jack
Old 02-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jack211

Kmot, re the painted Saitos: If you paint the heads, won't that increase heat retention, defeating the fins' purpose? If not, what kind of paint do you use?

THEY ARE BEEEUUUTIFUL!

Jack
Actually, painting them black increases the heat dissipation. As long as the paint is not too thick, that is. I use either Krylon or Duplicolor (which is made by Krylon).

Thanks for the compliment!
Old 02-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Jack, I drive 361 miles to my "Local Hobby Shop" and buy the WildCat, since I started using Corrosion X about 14 years ago as an afterrun oil rust is a non issue. The only bad bearings I've experienced occurred when I used some green fuel, known as panther pi-- at my house ever since.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:58 PM
William Robison

Dang! Go out on the town for a day and everybody has to talk!
---------------------------
Ed Cregger:

When adjusted properly it would be very difficult to see any light between the rocker and the end of the valve. If there is even the least bit of oil it will form a meniscus and block any light you might shine on it. And I really hope you do have some oil there. Even at a wide gap the oil will tend to block the light. On the other hand if you can feel a little slack in the rocker it is almost without question not too tight.
----------------------------
Bob:

RE: The cellophane. No, you don't have to start smoking. But cellophane from other sources, like a KrispyKreme doughnut box seem to be thicker. Use a mike on whatever source you find, if one comes right at 0.0015" let us know.
----------------------------
Jack211:

I really don't know where I posted about the cellophane use as a feeler gauge.

With the valves loose the idle might be a little smoother, and a little less power on the top end. In either case there wont be a big difference, but to get that lat bit of power the valves can't be loose. Also, when the valves are loose the valve train components hammer, this accellerates cam lobe wear, it can even gouge pits in the ramp of the cam lobe. See picture.

Bill.

Name:	Db84551.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	400026  
Old 02-01-2006, 08:00 PM
IronCross

OK, the last notification I received was for post 1392 this morning... Nothing since... Still not working ?.. I tried removing and redoing my subscription but to no avail ???
Old 02-01-2006, 08:15 PM
William Robison

IC:

Seems to be working again for everyone else. Send a report to Marc at [email protected]

Bill.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:18 PM
William Robison

New listings:

175 dprater
176 porty
177 misfitsailor
178 obelix1
179 RVator
180 mikedsilva

I am not going to maintain the lists on page 39 anymore, now thst we are ast 180 members it just takesw too much room. I will post screen shots though, giving the sameinformation in a compressed form.

Bill.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:23 PM
IronCross

Hey Bill
Thanks, I just got a notice on your message... None of the others though... Don't know what the heck is going on.. Seems to be a on and off thing... I think I will wait and see how it washes out... Really hate to miss miss one of your "classes" here... I am learning a lot about Saito's from you here...
IC
Old 02-01-2006, 08:28 PM
William Robison

IC:

A thought: go into your forum preferences, see if you have it set for only one notification per thread until you visit, or one notice for each post whether you visit or not. Set it for notification on each post - might be a minor glitch there.

And thanks for the kind words.

Bill.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:50 PM
William Robison

Here's the complete roster to date as a JPEG image. No alphabetic list, sorry.

Bill.

Name:	Xv65351.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	400065  
Old 02-01-2006, 09:59 PM
TheShirt

Guess I need to join the club. I picked up a Saito 80. Took it apart, cleaned it up, and fired it up. The valves have been adjusted and timing set. Compression seems really good. Runs good except that I can not get it above 7,000 RPM peak. That's with a 13-6 prop. Tried a 14-4 and it dropped to 6400. Any ideas on why this engine will not spin up???
Old 02-01-2006, 10:15 PM
William Robison

Shirty:

Answered in your other thread [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3856653/anchors_3856752/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3856752]here[/link].

And I've put you in as member number 181.

Bill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.