Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Ken6PPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

OUCH! Ihope you heal up well, and don't have any lasting damage!
Old 06-20-2009, 08:22 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Same story with me. Saito 56 was idling. Didn't even stop

Fingers themselves healed but nerves are funny.

worst thing is arthritis settled in those fingers and I only have partial use of them.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:04 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Did that with a 40 2 stroke at full throttle about 20 years ago. Drove myself to E.R. Got chewed out by doctor. Said i was in shock and should have had some one take there.n Fine now.Hopeing yours will be fine also.
Some one drove you right?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:09 PM
flyingagin

I have a must be about 20 years old .65 in a Kadet Senoir. Power is way off. Were would I look for parts for it. Have not torn it down but i assume a new ring and bearings for sure. Should I also be thinking valve train parts also?

Old 06-20-2009, 09:16 PM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: flyingagin

Did that with a 40 2 stroke at full throttle about 20 years ago. Drove myself to E.R. Got chewed out by doctor. Said i was in shock and should have had some one take there.n Fine now.Hopeing yours will be fine also.
Some one drove you right?
I was only a mile from the hospital. I threw all the model junk out of the way of my truck and had a guy ride with me to the emergency room so he could drive my truck back to the field and secure all my junk. I called my wife on the cell phone to go to the field to help collect the junk. She took the other guy back out to the field to get his truck.

I was in that emergency room within 5 min of the accident and I sat there for 4 hrs before they sewed me up.

My truck is a 5 speed and I shifted it with the bad hand.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:22 PM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: flyingagin

I have a must be about 20 years old .65 in a Kadet Senoir. Power is way off. Were would I look for parts for it. Have not torn it down but i assume a new ring and bearings for sure. Should I also be thinking valve train parts also?

You can get bearings from many sources http://www.rc-bearings.com/catalog/p...2e31245c9283fc

Rings from Frank Bowman
Frank Bowman

1211 N Allen Ave. Farmington, N.M. 87401-3568

505-327-0696 Email: [email protected]

Might need new lifters from the cam but all the Saitos about that size use the same lifters http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SAI5038

Old 06-20-2009, 09:53 PM
flyingagin

Hey thanks a bunch w8ye . I was figuring it was to old to get parts for, and I sure liked that motor a lot. Pretty cheap really.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:34 PM
QuitoFlyer

Charlie1960,

I hate to say it but I am one up on you. I have been flying planes for some 6 years and take safety around planes seriously (safety glasses, no loose clothing etc etc) and have seen many a close call. Anyway Iad my Saito 100 on the test bench breaking it it and reached for the tach and could not believe what my right index finger looked like. Well to make a long story short I got 45 stiches ... finger is as good as new now but I cannot stress enough that excess of confidence will get you sooner or later. Before you break in an engine or start your plane take a few minutes to go through what you are going to do in your mind. I must admit that what hurt the most was my pride .... I could not believe that something like this could have happened .... "....it always happens to the other guy ......"

Keep safe guys ......

QuitoFlyer

P.S. the Saito 100 runs beautifully!!
Old 06-20-2009, 10:48 PM
w8ye

I've been running model engines for 55 yrs and had two serious encounters with my fingers some 40 yrs apart.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:04 AM
McChiken

Hey Quito , Hows the Edge 540t treating you lately? Haven't seen you post on that thread in a while .

I blame those type of injuries on old age setting in and Mad Cow . I try to be safe too but you can't escape the inevitable,"Brain Fart" , No matter how safe weare .I was kindathinking about my fingers todaylearning to operate and start my first 50cc motor today .
Old 06-21-2009, 06:41 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm hearing your story.115 leapt out of a bad self tapper mounting on my work bench on the initial full throttle run.Hid behind the lawnmower..can't believe they are so small..
Old 06-21-2009, 11:19 AM
JCINTEXAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have decided to get an onboard glow driver. Which is the best one for single cylinder engines? Any advice would be appreciated.
Regards
JC
Old 06-21-2009, 11:39 AM
RC Specialties

I have used the McDaniels driver and liked it. It is easy to adjust and it has an indicator for the cockpit to show when it is on. You can find them at http://www.sonictronics.com/xcart/home.php

Jim
Old 06-21-2009, 11:44 AM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sorry to hear about you gentlemen's injuries. Hopefully you've saved a lot of others' fingers with your stories...

One of the reasons I paint my prop tips yellow or white is to help provide warning of the arc of pain.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:50 PM
kevinkenny

I am looking at two second hand saito engines one is a 150 with 5 hours on it and the other is 180 that has seen better days claim 25 hours on it but it needs the manifold replaced. Any advice?
Kevin
Old 06-21-2009, 02:42 PM
w8ye

Pay for them accordingly

Old 06-21-2009, 04:55 PM
QuitoFlyer

Hey McChicken,

How are you going? You may remember that the Edge went half way round the world to get to me but at last it was built. Not only did I cut the crap out of my finger but had my COG not properly placed. Should have listened to the advice you guys gave. Anyway first flight was great except for the shaking hands and pouring sweat. The landing was a disappointment .... looked good coming in and when it was just over the edge of the runway about 5' high it took a dive straight into the ground. Broke off the landing gear ... easy fix and she was in good shape to fly again. I am a perfectionist on the repairs so any damage drives me crazy until the plane looks new.

I forgot to mention that the wheel pants took the brunt of the blow and looked as if they needed to be thrown away. Anyway I decided to to see what could be done with them and I am glad to say that they look quite good ... not brand new but good. The following weekend went back out (changed the COG - made a huge difference) and had two great flight and landings. About a week later went out again and had another two great flights and landings much to the envy of those flying Calmatosetc (not to say that they are bad planes). The sound of the Saito 100 just added to their envy .... what a great sounding engine. I should have packed up and went home victorious and not a scratch on the Edge .... but I said I would do one more flight. Needless to say I would have been better off going home ... on the landing, pretty much in the same place as the first accident, to my absolute horror .... I went and stalled the plane about 4-5 feet off the ground and had a tip stall. I broke the cowl off and split the firewall. The cowl was badly dinged but I fixed it with fiberglass and now it looks as good as new .. fire wall is repaired and installed again so all that remains is to put the Saito back on and get her ready for the air again.

Much to my shame I am to blame for each accident. I should have set the COG as per the advice on this thread and also kept the speed up a bit on landing. Flying at 10,000 ft the air is thin and no doubt lift can be a problem. All in all ... lessons well learnt. Aerworks puts out some good planes and if I manage to mess the Edge up again I will certainly buy another one.

With regard to painting the tips of the propellers that is a great way to minimize the chances of a prop strike ... and that is exactly what I did not have when I was breaking in the Saito ... I could not see the prop. Anyway I cannot stress enough to all the people out there who fly planes what these motors are capable of doing. A finger will not even cause the motor to loose 1 rpm .... I was very lucky .. no tendons were damaged / cut but I still don't have 100% flexibility.

I will let you know how the next flight goes ... unfortunately I have been travelinga great deal and so progress of putting everthing back together is slow.

Regards,

QuitoFlyer
Old 06-21-2009, 05:26 PM
charlie1960

82 is flying
just need more air time on it to really smooth her out.
you just have to love these little engines
last tach reading was 9400 with a APC 14x4W and 15% Cool Power
Old 06-21-2009, 07:24 PM
w8ye

Sounds like you are on your way to having fun
Old 06-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Ken6PPC

ORIGINAL: JCINTEXAS

I have decided to get an onboard glow driver. Which is the best one for single cylinder engines? Any advice would be appreciated.
Regards
JC
Ilike the Sullivanon-board glow systemmyself. It lets me use nearly any battery I want, including a Lipo to save weight. The Sullivan single cylinder unit only weighs 34 grams (just over 1.1 oz.), and a single cell Lipo can be as light as about 11.5 grams (0.4 oz.).However, if you use a Lipo battery, you do have to be careful to not over discharge it.

A singlecell NiCad,such asmost on-board glow systems use, weighs 47 grams,NOT including the glow driver itself!http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFE05&P=7

The McDaniel on-board glow system for a single cylinder engine weighs 3.5 oz. http://www.sonictronics.com/xcart/pr...cat=310&page=1

The only thing I don't particularly care for about the Sullivan is it's size. Ilike toinstall it in the fuse, underneath the wing. Ijust turn it on before Iput the wing on, and forget about it. That works well, because it turns itself off as soon as the power to the rx is turned off. Naturally, it can be set to come on and go off at whatever throttle stick position you choose.

Here is a link to some information about the Sullivan on-board glow. http://www.sullivanproducts.com/Mode...sMainFrame.htm
Old 06-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Mikecam

I use the mcdanial on my Saito 125 in my mustang. Love it and have had no problems. Easy setup and I have never had to charge it at the field. Hank at mcdanial has been great with questions too. I set mine to come on at 1/4 throttle or less. Take a look at their new smoke system, Hank talked my into getting one, everything in one small box, just add battery, lines and tank.  Good luck.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:07 PM
beaver180
My Feedback: (10)

Hiya Jim,

Hey you still doing them Turbo mufflers for the 180??

Also, anyone, I'm looking at a 3 blade prop to replace the MAS 18x6 Classic I'm currently using.... what are your suggestions?? I was thinking maybe either 16x8 or the 16x10 from Master Airscrews.

Cheers for now,
Paul
Old 06-21-2009, 09:24 PM
beaver180

Hiya JC,

By far the best IMHO ( and probably cheapest, for you folk State side ) is this unit.... http://www.c-tronicsinc.com/Products.htm#Flight%20GlowI have used mine for over 4 years in three different aircraft with absolutely no problems, you can't even forget to turn it off.

Another thing I like about it is the fact I can prime my 180 without the fear of it firing as you need to activate for it to work. Activating/ setting it up requires only ( tx on first, rx on second.. as you do ) moving throttle stick from lowest position up to WOT and back. Simple.

I got mine from Just Engines in the UK, but have since learnt they're made and available direct from the US manufacturer C-Tronics, Inc in New Jersey.

Hope that helps,
Paul
Old 06-21-2009, 09:52 PM
snowboardnmtbike

Hey Guys,

I am building a G.P. Extra 300s .60 size kit.  I am looking to buy a four stroke engine for it.  Is saito really the best?  This is my first kit.  I usually build profile arfs and fly with .46 engines.   This plane is going to be my biggest to date and probably my first plane that I would use in competition.  Any recommendations for a four stroke engine for it?  Every thought is greatly appreciated.   Do you all think there is a difference between a saito 100 and a 115?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 06-21-2009, 10:19 PM
beaver180

G'Day there Greg,

Others will tell you more on the better size ( though I'd probably go the 115 myself ) for your Extra, but as for Saito being the best?? I've had a couple of Thunder tigre and OS four strokes before buying my Saito'sand I personally would have to say they rock! they have been the easiest to start, reliable as, great to work on ( I've replaced bearings on a 150 ) and I've never had a single "flame out".

Saito's are 10 outta 10 for me, and if you have any problems or need any advice the guys on here are tops... certainly helped me out a number of times :-)

Cheers, PAul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.