Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 01:26 PM
McChiken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Its all in fun getting off the topic once in a while BLW . No harm , no foul . Sometimes you just have to drop the drawers and slide on the ice . I'm sure those with a since of humor would have enjoyed that poster . Even RCG would have let that one go .[&o] THANK GOD for ProBro's Site.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:30 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It WAS a funny poster, and this ain't school, and you're not a teacher, blw. It was a small digression and didn't take anything off track.

If you don't see me after this, guys, you'll know why. I'm known for my pointing out the difference between right and wrong and the boys having fun. Usually when they try to spank me they try to refer to them as "acts of defiance" and disruption.

Like I said, it WAS a funny poster and we got a good laugh and it didn't interrupt a thing. If things start getting so severe that we can't enjoy a chuckle then I guess there ain't anything that RCU would really have to offer me.

It would kind of be like going to the RC field and having it run by some disciplinarian Gunny Sargent. Lots of fun to be had HERE!!!

The gray area that surrounds the "on track" is fairly good sized, blw, it's kind of like an RCU "neutral zone". Entering it does not mean the Romulans need to intercept........unless things go too far...

Funny, FUNNY poster!!!

Now, ahhhh, HRMPPHHH....what were we saying about that nice new Saito 1000??? Or....was that a Saito 100?????

Snert....Test*^*al Festival....poor Mr. Bull....

Jim
Old 07-05-2009, 02:54 PM
jdkxtreme

WOW
Old 07-05-2009, 05:28 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

WOW....where'd I go?

The school teacher is cross with me, it seems.

Jim
Old 07-05-2009, 06:06 PM
beaver180
My Feedback: (10)

LOL, Tex you forgot to write summit about Saito, der Nothing like a bit of light-hearted banter tho

See I got away with it beacause I added a wee video snippet of my Saito 180 powered 105 inch Citabria, like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruRgA...eature=related

Chow for now, Paul
Old 07-05-2009, 06:19 PM
EdgewordMI

New question for all .72 and .91 owners... What are your idle rpm's??, and if you know what the low end needles are set at, I would love to know. I have a .72 that has been a real f'n nightmare to set the idle on. My .91's will idle all day long fairly slow. I run Wildcat two/four stroke fuel at 15% nitro and 18% oil. The .91s are the plastic arm and metal arm both run well and reliably. I am just wondering if i a seeking a idle speed that is too slow...[]
Old 07-05-2009, 07:00 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Dear mister moderator, I know I made light of a Saito trait, but I'm fairly sure I'm not the only Saito owner to loose a muffler, or parts of it. They sell many replacement mufflers for a reason. This thread is about the Saito, so the Saito muffler is certainly "ON TOPIC" thank you.

I own or have owned (4) 72s, (2) 65s, (6) 120s, (3) 100s, (1) 125, (3) 150s, (4) 180s, and (7) 91s that I can remember. I'm sure I missed some. I have a thing or two to contribute on the subject.

I've been in this hobby some 40 years and still try to take a lighthearted, low stress, fun approach to it and these threads. For years we did quite well without them, but they have become an entertaining and informative part of our hobby. But do we need to be so controlling?

Please find it in your heart to be more tactful and respectful if you can. This hobby, and all aspects of it, should be fun IMO, as long as we aren't being vulgar, abusive, or distasteful. Thank you.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:15 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: EdgewordMI

New question for all .72 and .91 owners... What are your idle rpm's??, and if you know what the low end needles are set at, I would love to know. I have a .72 that has been a real f'n nightmare to set the idle on. My .91's will idle all day long fairly slow. I run Wildcat two/four stroke fuel at 15% nitro and 18% oil. The .91s are the plastic arm and metal arm both run well and reliably. I am just wondering if i a seeking a idle speed that is too slow...[]
Engines are different in different planes, with different props, and in different climates, and the valves need adjusted usually once a year, but I have a 72 with a stock muffler, in a cub, and mounted inverted no less. It's low end is about 1/2 turn in from flush, and the high end needle is at just under two turns. Often, the prop is the problem in the end. Props are as important as any other component. What are you using. Mine idles like a Singer sewing machine. Start with a new plug, the low end flush with the outside of the arm, and the high end at 2.5 turns. They need to work together, but I like to set the high first (back 1/2 turn off from high RPM), then set the low for a good idle. If it stumbles when gunned, open the low a little and adjust the high again. When in balance, it will idle smooth and transition smooth.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:16 PM
ram3500-RCU

double post. sorry.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:21 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: beaver180

LOL, Tex you forgot to write summit about Saito, der Nothing like a bit of light-hearted banter tho

See I got away with it beacause I added a wee video snippet of my Saito 180 powered 105 inch Citabria, like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruRgA...eature=related

Chow for now, Paul
Nice Citabria landing.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:22 PM
EdgewordMI

I am currently using a APC 13x7. When running good this engine seems to like this prop. I am shooting for an idle speed of about 2200 rpms.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:51 PM
beaver180
My Feedback: (10)

Hiya, Thanks Ram.... shame I don't have a decent length video yet, just the few wee ones.

EdgewordMI... Heavier props give the tourqie four strokes the lowest idle speeds from what I know and understand. I'm sure if you used a Airmaster "K" series 13x7 prop you would get a lower idle speed.

I had a big difference when I changed to a heavy MAS Classic 18x6 prop on my Saito 180, and the low idle now is superb. Having said that I am using an onboard glow system that works great too and would assist against flaming out down at low idle also.

Hope that helps, Paul

Old 07-05-2009, 08:17 PM
EdgewordMI

Thanks Paul,
I have been a diehard APC guy, but may have to switch to the MAS props, I know they flex more, but are ultimately cheaper too!!
So, does anyone have their idle rpms??
Old 07-05-2009, 09:37 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Don't get off subject, he knows where we live, he'll come and BEAT us!!!!

Or erase my post like he has done here a few times. All this guy needs is a ruler to smack us on the back of the hands, like THE SUBJECT MUST NOOOOTTT BE OFF-SUBJECT OR YOU SHALL BE PUNNNISHSHSHSHED!!!!

You're absolutely right, RAM 3500. Any one of us probably has more Saitos than this clown, and he thinks he can just stomp on us when we go somewhere he doesn't like. Power mad Mods, ain't they just the MOST fun???

This is the club Saito thread and your Saito muffler ABSOLUTELY is on-topic, and any Mod who says different is a Maroon, in the immortal words of all of our favorite cartoon bunny, Bugs. My other favorite bunny was Barb Benson, but that's about a whole other set of mufflers altogether. But I think Barb probably has a Saito. Have any of you guys heard whether Barb had a Saito? I never heard that Bugs had a Saito, though.

But I saw him with a muffler on one of his cartoons. It probably wasn't a Saito muffler, though. Any of you guys know whether Bugs was wearing a Saito muffler in his cartoon?

And my last question, do any of you guys think the Mod has figured out how badly I am busting on him in this "Club Saito" post??

Oh, by the way, guys, I flew my new Ultra Stick 60 today at the lake with the new set of floats I had custom made for it, and OHHHH, BABY....did it ever fly nice! That Saito 100 just POWERED through the maneuvers like cake. I was running the new Powermaster 20/20 Saito fuel, that stuff is REALLY good. I was impressed. I never used to like anything but Wildcat in my Saitos through the 90's and up until now. This Powermaster (I hate to admit it) is better.

There ya go, an on-topic thread post that's gonna get shredded. I've saved a copy of it anyway. I WAS a boy scout, you know.

Jim
Old 07-05-2009, 09:39 PM
flyhi
My Feedback: (28)

Is there a muffler that will fit a saito 45? It has a straight header now. thanks
Old 07-05-2009, 10:02 PM
WRM

What is the difference in the Old Powermaster 20/20 Saito fuel and the New Powermaster 20/20 Saito fuel?
Old 07-05-2009, 10:54 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyhi

Is there a muffler that will fit a saito 45? It has a straight header now. thanks
The muffler for the Saito 56 fits perfect

But there are several styles available including pipes

Old 07-05-2009, 11:10 PM
McChiken

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

Don't get off subject, he knows where we live, he'll come and BEAT us!!!!

Or erase my post like he has done here a few times. All this guy needs is a ruler to smack us on the back of the hands, like THE SUBJECT MUST NOOOOTTT BE OFF-SUBJECT OR YOU SHALL BE PUNNNISHSHSHSHED!!!!

You're absolutely right, RAM 3500. Any one of us probably has more Saitos than this clown, and he thinks he can just stomp on us when we go somewhere he doesn't like. Power mad Mods, ain't they just the MOST fun???

This is the club Saito thread and your Saito muffler ABSOLUTELY is on-topic, and any Mod who says different is a Maroon, in the immortal words of all of our favorite cartoon bunny, Bugs. My other favorite bunny was Barb Benson, but that's about a whole other set of mufflers altogether. But I think Barb probably has a Saito. Have any of you guys heard whether Barb had a Saito? I never heard that Bugs had a Saito, though.

But I saw him with a muffler on one of his cartoons. It probably wasn't a Saito muffler, though. Any of you guys know whether Bugs was wearing a Saito muffler in his cartoon?

And my last question, do any of you guys think the Mod has figured out how badly I am busting on him in this ''Club Saito'' post??

Oh, by the way, guys, I flew my new Ultra Stick 60 today at the lake with the new set of floats I had custom made for it, and OHHHH, BABY....did it ever fly nice! That Saito 100 just POWERED through the maneuvers like cake. I was running the new Powermaster 20/20 Saito fuel, that stuff is REALLY good. I was impressed. I never used to like anything but Wildcat in my Saitos through the 90's and up until now. This Powermaster (I hate to admit it) is better.

There ya go, an on-topic thread post that's gonna get shredded. I've saved a copy of it anyway. I WAS a boy scout, you know.

Jim
Texas Sky Pilot ,

I kinda miss my ultrastick 40 . I had a Saito 82 on it . What a demon . I switch to 20/20 6months ago . I love the fuel and never have had a motor problem since i changed from Wildcat .

I totaly agree with you on the fact that we need this moderator ousted . He is playing favorites . He deleted my post on a funny Mountain Oyster Festival poster I picked up in Masoula Montana . He left everybody elses post alone . He can delete this too but can't stop me from complaning to RCU via e-mail . I ask others to do this too . We make this site and others and if it can be shown on network TV it is certainly within taste here . WE ALL LIKE A GOOD LAUGH Once in a while BLW . Looking at his avatar I would think BLW likes a good laugh too if 1942 was his favorite movie .
Old 07-06-2009, 12:09 AM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ram3500,
I think you did fine getting back on topic (way above), and I really appreciate the tip on keeping the mufflers clean and tight. In 2+ decades of flying RC no one has yet provided that tip. One of the guys at the field is a pro pattern flyer and was very interested in the tip as well...he uses a YS and loses mufflers constantly. I was actually quite relieved to find that he had never heard what seems to be so logical once you hear it as well. Helped me to not feel so dense! Thanks. And you're right this forum is a wealth of info and fun to boot, as long as none of us take ourselves or criticisms of ourselves too seriously.

Also, just fitted a trusted older FA100 into an almost finished 26 year project (shelved for 24). I guess it ought to haul around this old Royal kit pretty well. It sits quite nicely in the cowl without messing with the "lines" too much and a modified set of Keleo functional exhaust stacks will trim it out well so as not to have to worry about any muffler hanging out or falling off. "Badger Queen" #27 of the 317th Sq of the 325th FG "Checkertails". My grandfather flew the real one out of Lesina, Italy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40829.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1230554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95310.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1230555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48200.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1230556  
Old 07-06-2009, 12:54 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It sure looks good
Old 07-06-2009, 06:30 AM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

Now that we are back on subject, any thoughts on my question back on page 597?

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:46 AM
ram3500-RCU

Thanks for the kind words Frets24. That 51 is a work of art. Hope you can post some video with sound in time. What does she weigh? I had a Royal DC that was light as a feather. I'll also be interested to here how the Saito likes the scale exhaust. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:54 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

ORIGINAL: WRM

What is the difference in the Old Powermaster 20/20 Saito fuel and the New Powermaster 20/20 Saito fuel?
wrm,
Since I didn't try any older Powermaster fuel I'm at a loss here, I couldn't tell you. I was just at my hobby shop mentioning that the new Saitos didn't run as well as I expected on the same Wildcat I'd been using in all of my older Saitos. Since all of my old Saitos had been stolen (along with all the planes and such) during two house robberies in two years in Maine, I had since moving to Texas restocked with new Saitos for all the new small-to-medium size planes I was restocking too. My hobby-store guy (being a smart fella) grabbed a can of the powermaster 20/20 for Saitos and just handed it to me and told me to see how I liked it. He was right, Great stuff for these for sure. I'm going in to buy quite a few more cans to finish out the summer. To be honest, it's new to me, and I'm not sure how long it's been around in its present formula.
But I'm very impressed. And that one can he handed me is going to sell many, many more for him now that my hangar is filling back up again. Because without a doubt I'll always be a Saito fan. I guess that now I'm a powermaster fan too!

Jim
Old 07-06-2009, 06:59 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

ORIGINAL: w8ye

ORIGINAL: flyhi

The muffler for the Saito 56 fits perfect

But there are several styles available including pipes

I thought that they used to have the same size exhaust threads too. I was also thinking that a Saito .50 exhaust might be right as well. I was pretty sure the .45 and the .50 used the same casting. And the .56, but I wasn't positive. I remembered that the .56 had the power of a .65 but a smaller casting and so it was lighter. So I was thinking that was also probably that same casting.

Jim
Old 07-06-2009, 07:07 AM
Rudolph Hart

Yes me too,thanks frets,and to you too ram for articulating it so well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.