It's the stopper from a Dubro fuel tank

enjoy,

Jim
Old 02-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Exactly as Jim says, I took that picture a while back to show how the IronBay regulator could easily be mounted to a Saito carb. Several people had asked how since it's awkward with the fuel inlet coming straight out of the center of the regulator body. While I was at it I verfied that the IronBay would pass plenty of fuel to richen the 2.20 down several hundred rpm from peak.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hobbsy, on the right side of that picture, next to the intake manifold, please tell me that isn't a PCV valve hooked to the regulator.

Ernie
Old 02-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

No sir, that is a tee that will be used for filling the tank on the Cessna that's getting the 2.20.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Larry Benson

greetings Saito Wizards, I need help with prop selection. I have my first 4 stroke (Saito FA-65) and my first large scale (a 84" J-3 Cub) and need a prop to pull it with, not going to do acrobatics but just want it to fly well. all up weight is right at 8 pounds. what do you suggest as a starting point? ........ thanks in advance.......... Larry
Old 02-06-2006, 02:03 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Larry:

Sounds like a 14x4 would do nicely.

Bill.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:12 PM
William Robison

All:

Hobbsy misspoke earlier. He said you were in "Club Saito" merely by posting in this thread.

Three things are needed for "Official" membership. One, as Hobbsy said, is posting here. Second, obviously is owning (or have on order) a Saito engine. Finally, without an assigned number you can not be "In."

At present I'm giving the numbers, but I would gladly let someone else have the "Priviledge." Any volunteers?

But for now, here are the latest additions and their numbers.

181 TheShirt
182 Plum Crazy
183 Dennis H.
184 Edge 540
185 daveb86
186 Jerry C

Welcome all.

Bill.

EDIT: I too, misspoke concerning Larry Benson. wr.

Old 02-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Larry Benson

thanks Bill for the quick response, I'm on my way to the hobby shop this evening and plan to pick one up. it's been a while since I have done much flying and I always preferred wood props are the nylon type any better than they use to be? (like 20 years ago lol).

also I think I already have a number, I believe 172 ? thanks for a great board, it is what helped me decide on which engine to use........ Larry
Old 02-06-2006, 02:40 PM
William Robison

Larry:

...also I think I already have a number, I believe 172 ?
Oops! You're right. Post and list corrected.

Thanks forsaving me.

Wooden props have many advantages, including generally lighter than the plastics, the engine will respond more quickly with a lightet prop. Also, when the finger contact happens often the prop will break instead of the finger.

Moldxern plastics though, are nothing like the rubbery nylon props of years gone by. The strength of the material allows much better airfoil shapes than the relatively brittle wood.

I run a lot of Zinger and Master Airscrew props, and on the smaller engines (0.15-0.30) I have a fair selection of Tornado plastics.

Many people like the APC line, i avoid them in all cases other than mid-size 3D planes, the APC 12.25x3.75 rules supreme there. I regard them as little more than high speed meat slicers running with no hand guards. As I said, my opinion.

On your Cub a wooden prop would probably be the best all-round. Do be sure to balance it, this is where the wooden props are worst - the consistency of the plastic makes them generally better balanced out of the box.

Bill.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Nanuk

Can I join the club? I just finished breaking in a 82a Saito.

Nanuk
Old 02-06-2006, 03:40 PM
William Robison

Nanuk:

You get the number 187 I mistakenly gave to Larry.

Bill.

PS: Is that "Nanuk" any relation to the book of long ago titled "Nanook of the North?" wr.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Nanuk

Nanuk of the north was my great uncle. Just kidding of course.
I got the name from an old Frank Zappa song.
Thanks for the number.

Nanuk
Old 02-06-2006, 04:00 PM
dmanson
My Feedback: (1)

I've been a fan of this club for some time, but have only been a lurker.

Please sign me up!

Bill, thanks for your help in other threads.

Don Manson
Saito 72, Saito 80, Saito 91, Saito 100, and Saito 125
Old 02-06-2006, 04:09 PM
William Robison

Don:

Lurkers are welcome, but you now have number 188.
-------------------
Nanuk:

The name in the title of the book was spelled with a double "O" instead of the "U" in yours.

Bill.

>>EDIT>> It wasn't a book, it was a documentary film. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0013427/ .wr.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:44 PM
hooverin howie

Here I am I got to tell you I'm really happy with Saito, but I guess I should say unhappy with Horizon Hobby's!!! I have a Saito 100, 120, and 2- 150's and a 125 on the way. I have had a Saito 120 break a valve spring keeper and was in a hover so the F-90 was trash and a Saito 150 blow the crank pin and rod right out the bottom of the case. You are wondering why stay with Saito? Well I'm a die hard Harley rider or was still riding till the doctors got a hold of my back after a work accident.. 29 surgeries later I can't ride my big Hawg in the garage so I fly with a bunch of geriatrics at the flying field! I love it and love the look of the Saito. I'm ticked off at Horizon because of the valve spring job and totaled F-90. Horizon said they would have replaced the plane but I was running too large of engine on my F-90!!! Imagine that! Well they advertise their new Saito 125 and say "Put this bad boy in a F-90 or the Showtime 90 and watch the others look in awe!" Well I think they just put their foot in their mouth's with that advertisement. They are encouraging you to put a larger engine than specifyed in one of their own planes! Well I think it's wrong of them. That is the part about them advertising the larger engine in a plane that isn't designed for it.....but don't get me wrong... I do it all the time. Yep can't ever have too much power! Yes sir got to have the big balls to pull out of any kind of poop you get yourself in and nothing better than twice the engine to do it with!!! Got to love the pony's. Just don't like Horizon for saying it and not backing it! Blah Blah Blah...ect...!
Old 02-06-2006, 05:48 PM
desmobob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Larry Benson

greetings Saito Wizards, I need help with prop selection. I have my first 4 stroke (Saito FA-65) and my first large scale (a 84" J-3 Cub) and need a prop to pull it with, not going to do acrobatics but just want it to fly well. all up weight is right at 8 pounds. what do you suggest as a starting point? ........ thanks in advance.......... Larry
Hi Larry,

I have that engine powering my 81" span Super Frontier Senior. I'm using a 12x7 APC prop. It flies the 8 lb. model nicely and provides the clearance I need for the ski mounted on the Fults nose gear in the winter. A 13x6 would be my second choice.

This engine is very smooth and reliable. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Good flying,
desmobob
Old 02-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Larry Benson

thanks desmobob, I hope you are right about the smoothness, I have another brand 40 4stroke and it vibrates something terrible. this is the first big plane I have and I haven't got to run it yet, am waiting for better weather. don't really have a large enough place to fly it but I have a couple in mind. been flying electric in the school yard/football field and don't think it will be large enough for this plane,
Old 02-06-2006, 07:13 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Saito 65 is a very smooth, easy running four stroke.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 02-06-2006, 07:31 PM
desmobob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Larry Benson

thanks desmobob, I hope you are right about the smoothness, I have another brand 40 4stroke and it vibrates something terrible. this is the first big plane I have and I haven't got to run it yet, am waiting for better weather. don't really have a large enough place to fly it but I have a couple in mind. been flying electric in the school yard/football field and don't think it will be large enough for this plane,
The .65 is a nice, heavy engine -- same block as the .91. The extra weight helps make it s-m-o-o-t-h. It has noticeably less vibration than the .56 or .91. Saito's later trend is to bore the smaller blocks to bigger and bigger displacements, getting more power-to-weight but also more vibes. The older, heavier Saitos are the smoothies. If you need some nose weight, these engines are the way to go.

I think the .65 is going to be just perfect in your Cub.

Good flying,
desmobob
Old 02-06-2006, 08:00 PM
nibs
My Feedback: (19)

I don't know if my post was sent - if yes, sorry to duplicate:
I own a number of Saitos 56 thru 180, and I love 'em! Recently lost a battle with the ground with my F90 /Saito 100 combo - Ground Won! Snagged the L/G, causing the nose to dig-in, caught the Slimline inverted muffler - and ripped the stack - and about 3/8inch of the head off at the exhaust port. Just received new head - but having trouble removing the valves. I've used a small block of balsa to depress valves - but I just cannot get the c-clip off! Any help is appreciated! Thanks for a great forum - I'd like to join!
Old 02-06-2006, 08:06 PM
CrashBurn69
My Feedback: (1)

Please add me to the club. I picked up a 82a to go in a UcanDo. Can anyone tell me how this engine does with a MA K series 14-6. I picked up this prop to break it in with before I switch to a 13-4 for 3d. Thanks
Old 02-06-2006, 08:12 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Removing valves.....
Set the head on a big dowel or push the piston up as high as it will go and set this on a dowel. Anyway, you need to keep the valve close while you push the spring retainer down and remove the keeper or keys. Its best to have a plastic bag over your work so you do not loose the keys.

The valves usually will not come out. There is a peened over burr at the top edge of the valve. It will not let the valve go down through the guide. File or Buff this lip off so you can get the valve down through the hole.

It woyld be a good idea to put a new ring on as you are using a different cylinder?

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 02-06-2006, 08:27 PM
GoldenAge

I have three Saitos...an FA-40, 56 and a 100.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:42 PM
William Robison

OK.

New entries to Club Saito:

189 hddunbar
190 nibs
191 CrashBurn69
192 GoldenAge

EDIT>> Missed Dunbar.

Bill.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Dennis H.

Hi All! Thanks for the number Bill.
Ok, I'm sure most you all know of this url http://saito-engines.info/index.html
I might be opening a bad can of worms here[&o] I hear good and bad about what fuel to use, some say its ok to use heilcopter fuel, and other say not to use it, make the engine run to hot? What fuel do you all use, and why?
Dennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.