Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 10:32 AM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

ORIGINAL: blw

Did you use one of these to look for those chromed valve seats?

It looks like Komrads high tech toilet brush/ sem. Cheers the pope
Old 11-28-2010, 01:20 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Here ya go K, knock yourself out, one difference, I ran mine on WildCat 15% fuel with 18% syn/castor blend and it turned a Graupner 15x8 at 9,100, if my memory serves me well.

http://www.rcmplans.com/issues/reque...021989-1-1.pdf
I've got a 1.30 in a Nosen Champ. I just fuel and fly it. I didn't know it had defective valve seats and carburetors and dampers, etc. Apparently the engine doesn't know it either! Runs like a... wait for it... Champ!
Old 11-28-2010, 02:55 PM
FNQFLYER

To change the discussion line here.  How many of you people fly Old Timer (SAM) type models with Saito engines.  And if so which ones and what events.
Here in OZ we principally use 65's  (if you can get them) 62's, and 56's, in both Texaco and Duration. 
Old 11-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: FNQFLYER

Those OS engines Konrad is talking about not being competition worthy. Could you please send them all to OZ cause I guess us poor O/T flyers are to dumb to realise that we are not flying with competitive motors. Just for the record I have a few problems keeping up with some of the modified OS 61 fourstrokes we use out here. And just conside all we use are factory bits lots of nitro and a few internal mods plus a pump, to give between 13 and 16,000 RPM on 12x6 APC props. Yes those are the reliable figures and as I remember they units weren't grenade motors (blow up as soon as you start them) and they ran on about 55% nitro. They needed a wash out at the end of the day with FAI fuel and a liberal dose of cool power up the crank case vent to slow down the after effects of the residial nitro though.

But further discussion about that is not for this place, though I'll leave you with a thought after todays flying
85% Lanzo Bomber with 10% nitro into a Saito 65 swinging a 15 x 8 prop at 5,000 rpm climb out power 10 mls of fuel ran for 8 minutes the running 30% nitro same engine with a 13 x 6 Bolly carbon fibre prop turned 13,500 rpm. All in the tuning and prop guys and of course having a great design engine helps as well. The Bomber for those who care weighs 4.5 pounds for a 5 pound fuel allocation. Note also this engine is un modified and still has about another 30 minutes of flying to be considered a run in competition model
Just thought I would tell you that.
I think I said OS ringless engines. To be specific look at and FAI or even AMA class of competition which are engine dominate (i.e. controline speed and R/C Pylon) to see what kind of competition engine the OS ringless engine really is. Rules in SAM and old timer events are trying to hold back the performance of the power plants to mimic those of a bygone era. And in that context OS engine might be more than adequate in fulfilling those requirements.

All the best,
Konrad
Old 11-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: the pope
Hey there komrad its the pope back from the naughty corner .I do love these engines and have a few different brands ,can u please tell me where I said I didnt. As for my knowledge on these things I certainly dont pretend to be an expert.What I do know is to try and keep things simple and not to look for problems that just arent there.As for saying u love saitos you then pick faults with them .I guess its just your passive agressive style. Its like telling a girl shes got nice legs but a face like a busted bumhole. Then u get upset when she slaps your face saying she cant take a compliment.Now back to your question about the 130, dont know, dont care. There u go consider yourself enlightened. Cheers from your freind the pope
As to women I'll leave that subject alone. Now what is wrong with bringing the design limitation of a product to light. The discussion of these limitation can only help expand our pleasure with the product as we can learn how to deal with them. My hope is that if the public (you) know what to look for you will get a better product. Both at the counter when you purchase the engine and from the manufacture having to make a better product to address a more informed public.

All the best,
Konrad
Old 11-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: blw

O.F hit the nail on the head and he didnt need a degree to figure that one out.
Did he 'manufacture' engines and win national championships with them? You know, it was a long time ago. I would think that he would have some sort of photograph or two of them.
Hey there blw its a bit hard to photograph a dream. Cheers the pope
I know "picts or it didn't happen" is the mental mantra of the web!
But I'll have to agree it is very difficult to photograph a dream that has come true.

All the best,
Konrad
Old 11-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

ORIGINAL: Konrad

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Konrad,

You need to look at your engines some more?
Why, what am I missing?

All the best,
Konrad
Hey Komrad I think you will find there not holes but fly ****e. Why do you continue to torture yourself with all this electron scanning nuclear powered infrared mri spectromatroid hocus pocus gizmos when all u need to do is fuel the thing up and fly and have some fun. You have already imagined that OS engines are crap and now its Saitos turn. O.F hit the nail on the head and he didnt need a degree to figure that one out. Cheers the pope
If you take the time to read my post (whats left of them) you will see that I think the Saito is great, for the most part, and have said so repeatedly.

All the best,

Konrad
Now if we can just get a list of the rest of the engines that you like we can post a ''sticky'' at the top of the glow engines forum and only post/comment on topics that please you.

BW,
The subject is Saito engines! Not what engines I think are the most suitable for (X). But as a sport four cycle engine the Saito is more than "adequate" (a poor take off from a Rolls Royce engineer describing the power of his engine)
Old 11-28-2010, 06:48 PM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does Saito claim that they use chrome plating on all newer engines valve seats? What would the advantage be?
Old 11-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees

Here ya go K, knock yourself out, one difference, I ran mine on WildCat 15% fuel with 18% syn/castor blend and it turned a Graupner 15x8 at 9,100, if my memory serves me well.

I've got a 1.30 in a Nosen Champ. I just fuel and fly it. I didn't know it had defective valve seats and carburetors and dampers, etc. Apparently the engine doesn't know it either! Runs like a... wait for it... Champ!
Nether did I! Now you have me questioning "dampers", what dampeners?

All the best,
Konrad
Old 11-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: mike early

Does Saito claim that they use chrome plating on all newer engines valve seats? What would the advantage be?
I don't think they do.

But as I read the sticky that is what was said. That the Saito engines with AAC liners have chrome valve seats.

Hobbsy and I had a good conversation about this years ago, I wasn't aware of the limitation to AAC jugs only when I looked at the seats for chrome. I concluded that the jugs (ABC) I had a big head 1.20 and a GK 1.50 do not have chrome valve seats. I'm asking for a second source to the sticky's claim that Saito uses chrome in the valve seats of some of their engines. As I have stated in my earlier post I see NO advantage to chrome valve seat and gave detailed reasoning for my opinion.

All the best,
Konrad
Old 11-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Konrad
Banned

Thanks!
That is a great start. I'll have to give a close read. But as you know I think that what is printed in the dead tree press often is biased towards the advertiser. Anybody have detailed experience with the Saito 1.30 and the questions I asked earlier. I like how Saito moved away from the opposed carbs with the later 300

All the best,
Konrad
Old 11-28-2010, 07:08 PM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Konrad is a good sport you guys have to admit.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:28 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks!
That is a great start. I'll have to give a close read. But as you know I think that what is printed in the dead tree press often is biased towards the advertiser. Anybody have detailed experience with the Saito 1.30 and the questions I asked earlier. I like how Saito moved away from the opposed carbs with the later 300

All the best,
Konrad
And Clarence Lee is not worthy?

The Saito 300 is a different design concept compared with the 130. Some 300's have two carbs and some have singles

Old 11-28-2010, 07:43 PM
miker49
My Feedback: (4)

i have a saito 100 in a hangar 9 p-47.runs great.any suggestions on keeping the muffler tight? should i replace it with something else?
Old 11-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Konrad
Banned

Thanks!

All the best,
Konrad
And Clarence Lee is not worthy?

The Saito 300 is a different design concept compared with the 130. Some 300's have two carbs and some have singles

Mr. Lee is not worthy of what? He is one of the great engine designer from the great age of model engines!

Now the hobby catalog known as R/C Modeler, well......

Now if you read his engine reviews in RCM and then his Engine Clinic. You will learn what I mean by bias towards the advertisers. In his review of an ABN engine he would say things like the liner is plated with OS's fine hard coating or he might have slipped and called it what it was electroless nickel. But in his great Engine Clinic he would say that Chrome was a much better plating for the ringless aluminum piston engine. As it was much harder and also offer some last bit of protection from a lean run as it micro cracked, which leaked oil to protect the piston. Electroless nickel does not have these properties.

As you can see in the review he was selling an engine for the guy that paid for the publication. In his Clinic he was trying to give you insight into what made a great engine.

So I still stand by my statement that articles published in the dead tree press are suspect. Having had to deal with the moderation policies of this site I'm now having to second guess my position about user generated content forms as the moderators also seem to inhibit free thoughtful discussion about products. This seems to be done only to protect their site sponsors. But for now, it is still the best we have to see through the ad hype.

So anybody have any technical insights as to how restrictive the opposing carbs are?

All the best,
Konrad

Edited: for spelling
Old 11-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Craig 01

Yep,that he is.Like water off a duck's back.[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 11-28-2010, 07:51 PM
w8ye

Reference to K
Yet you act as though we should all throw out Clarance Lee's entire article as a "spiel" and only good as advertising?

Old 11-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Konrad
Banned

Thanks Mike,
Sport? This is a life and death struggle for the survival of the true high performance engine
Long live chrome, and Saito for using proper materials in the construction of their engine!

All the best,
Konrad
Old 11-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Konrad
Banned

Thanks Mike.

Sport? This is a life and death struggle for the survival of the true high performance engine
Long live chrome, and Saito for using proper materials in the construction of their engine!

All the best,
Konrad
Old 11-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Konrad
Banned

Reference to K
Yet you act as though we should all throw out Clarance Lee's entire article as a ''spiel'' and only good as advertising?

Act like?
Just be aware of where he (any author) is coming from. In the article he is selling the engine. There is nothing wrong with that. It is just not an unbiased position.
Just like my position on OS. I state what I think, give supporting examples and I also make clear I have no love of OS. Should they fall off the planet I would be the first to salute them good by!

In his engine clinic he tried to tell us the how and whys. I also try to show what the short coming are and how to deal with them. It is easy to say something is junk or great and run away. I try to give meaning to my statements be them favorable of critical. I'm a very discriminating purchaser of hobby equipment and am not easily satisfied by what is offered in the mass market. That is why I examine these toys so carefully, be them from any brand.

All the best,
Konrad
Old 11-28-2010, 08:09 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The dual carbs are abenefit on the odd firing engine because when the #1 cylinder is on its intake stroke the fuel air mixture is going through the carb and turning left into the left intake tube. As the #1 cylinder nears the end of its intake stroke the #2 cylinder begins its intake stroke, there is momentary moment of confusion as the fuel and air mixture must rapidly change directions causing the #1 cylinder to run richer than the #2 cylinder. The operator must adjust the mixture to suit the leaner cylinder making the #1 cylinder too rich. This very condition is the reason for carbureted Harleys" limpy idle.
As to the even firing twins one carb is enough because the #1 cylinder has completely stopped filling when the #2 cylinder begins it intake stroke. Two carbs on Saito even firing twins are for added performance.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Konrad
Banned

The dual carbs are abenefit on the odd firing engine because when the #1 cylinder is on its intake stroke the fuel air mixture is going through the carb and turning left into the left intake tube. As the #1 cylinder nears the end of its intake stroke the #2 cylinder begins its intake stroke, there is momentary moment of confusion as the fuel and air mixture must rapidly change directions causing the #1 cylinder to run richer than the #2 cylinder. The operator must adjust the mixture to suit the leaner cylinder making the #1 cylinder too rich. This very condition is the reason for carbureted Harleys'' limpy idle.
As to the even firing twins one carb is enough because the #1 cylinder has completely stopped filling when the #2 cylinder begins it intake stroke. Two carbs on Saito even firing twins are for added performance.
That is why I used Independent Runners (IR) systems in my full size race engines, be them carbed or fuel injected. The issue is properly designed. I see a few design constraint (problems) with the 1.30's configuration. Saito also saw these and added the baffle. This looks like a design after thought. I'm asking how restrictive is this baffle? I see (and show) that later Saito engines (i.e. the 300's I have) don't point the carbs into each other.

All the best.
Konrad

Edited to add name
Old 11-28-2010, 08:35 PM
w8ye

K,

You need to go look at how a 300 is made.

There is no need for a baffle on the 300 even if the carbs were set up as on the 130. The 300 comes as both dual and single carb versions and there is no interference between cylinders
Old 11-28-2010, 08:36 PM
KwilliamsFLA
My Feedback: (33)

okay I just got my first one... I just bought a used one already in a plane, its a 1.80 silver not gold night, whats the best fuel for it??
Old 11-28-2010, 08:40 PM
w8ye

I like Omega 15%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.