Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 05:07 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Yall stocked up on that bundy swampwater you bin braggin about?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 AM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the pope an Austrian????
Old 02-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Craig 01

G'day FNQ,mate,I understand that naturally you would be happy to be out of the line of major damage, as would i and hope you all fair well through that big bugga "Yasi".
Old 02-01-2011, 06:14 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

W8YE is right in the middle of the big blizzard at this moment.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:02 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah we all got a nice 1 inch of snow today, but there is a half inch of hard ice under the thin layer of snow on the roads. It pretty much shut down the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex too. 30 mile an hours winds and a nippy 20 degrees Fahrenheit temperature outside. I thought about trying my seaplane out at the flying field, but I wouldn't be able to get to it. Then the wind would be killer as well as the wind chill. we haven't had a temperature this low in 15 years. Tonight it will go under 10 degrees F. I can really feel for everyone farther north of us.

of course they showed on the news where the Green Bay Packers were getting off the busses and going into the hotel and some were wearing shorts with sweatshirts. They all thought it was nice and balmy since it is way colder up there in Minn.

I went to clear the snow and ice off of my car and found the doors frozen shut. I had to use warm water to get the ice softened up so I could get the doors open.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:49 PM
FNQFLYER

Craig,
Have you had a look at the BOM site??  Its coming your way man.  Currently as I type this Townsville and points further south are getting rained upon in heaps, we by comparison have that "just before the cyclone hits" situation of blue skies occassional wind gusts and a little precipitaton, but it is coming.  It has been swinging towards the south more and more during the day from north of Cairns early yesterday to just north of Cardwell (256k away) at midday. 
It would appear as if our americain cousins are feeling nature as well me I can't stand the rain that comes from the sky in little whie flakes give me FNQ climate (even with cyclones) any day
Old 02-01-2011, 08:51 PM
the pope

ORIGINAL: FNQFLYER

Is the pope an Austrian????
Yes I am and bundy is the only holy water. Good luck with the weather and the rest of oz are thinking about you guys.Cheers the pope
Old 02-01-2011, 09:35 PM
lavagrit

I get a saito 100TI,and 2 saito FA 40a in chinese New Year.I am very happy.all my saito engine  are run very good.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:08 AM
Rudolph Hart

Nice photos,they make a sound that crosses cultural or lingual barriers do you think
Old 02-02-2011, 08:38 AM
earlwb

Nice engines.
I really like that Saito inline twin engine. It sorta has me wondering if Saito would go the extra distance and make a dual row radial engine or not.
That would be cool. I couldn't afford one, but there would be a lot of drooling and coveting going on.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:56 AM
lavagrit

saito 100ti is a very cool engine .But I am not get a airplane to fit this engine.
Saito 40a is very little,and only weight 300g.suitable most 30class airplane,use 11*6 APC.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Linkan2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi lavagrit
jo gone love Saito 100TI a haw one in a DH chipmunk from airsail.
Lars
Old 02-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Linkan2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lavagrit
Look at you tube  (saito 100TI) or Lindtrom
Old 02-02-2011, 09:12 PM
lavagrit

hi linkan2
thank you share video,saito 100ti is good sound.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:25 AM
Craig 01

ORIGINAL: blw

W8YE is right in the middle of the big blizzard at this moment.
Hi blw,yes,it is easy to get caught up with ones own issues and seemingly forget others circumstances.My family members in Townsville and on Magnetic island are ok after "Yasi".
My best wishes go out for W8YE's safety and to all who are caught in not so good situations beyond their control.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:48 AM
Craig 01

G'day FNQ,Hope all is well for you up there and you didnt suffer to much damage.Dead still humid air here during the period.
Anyway,for me now,back to club Saito.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I found what's been giving me problems with my Saito 65. As you may recall, I was having problems with it overheating in my Kyosh P-40. Well, I was trying to run it on a test stand in my garage without much sucess. The cold weather in Iowa doesn't help either.

Last night I decided to take the carb off to blow it out suspecting some debris. While I was at it I took the back plate off to oil things up and put it away til spring. I was surprised to find about 1 tbsp of oil that accumulated in the crankcase. It seems like a lot of oil to me. I know there is a nipple on the back plate to drain oil but what if you run inverted? Do you have to turn the airplane upside down (engine right side up) after a days flying to get this oil out? Would this affect performance too?

Here's the other thing I noticed. My main bearing is seized! [X(] The inner race does not rotate as it should when I turn the engine over. I'm surprised I got it to run at all like this. The engine turns over real easy by hand but must generate a lot of heat when running. Anyways, I plan on ordering stainless steel bearings from RC Bearings. Do I need to replace the front bearing or can I get away with just a new rear bearing? I beleive the front bearing is sealed, right? This engine has just over a gallon through it but it has been in sat around for a while.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The table spoon of oil is typical.

Replace both bearings while you are at it
Old 02-03-2011, 09:40 AM
earlwb

Amazing that the engine didn't seize up like that with the main bearing locked up.
You want to check the bearing fit on the crankshaft in case it worn it down some. The bearing should just barely fit onto the crankshaft. Sometimes you have to fiddle with it some to get it to slip on. I have had to use some crocus cloth to polish off the little corrosion spots to get it to clear too.
Apparently there was enough oil to get in there and lubricate it to keep it from seizing up on you.
Usually the oil inside is OK, a teaspoon doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I got that much out of my old Saito 80 when I replaced the bearings last too, and it is run in an upright position. If the crankcase vent is clear then any excess oil will be blown out anyway.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Quikturn

Yes, I'm amazed it didn't seize up either. But there was at least a full table spoon of oil in the case so the crankshaft must have been splashing it when running. Here's a question, could all this oil accumulate from blow by?

It makes me realize when I'm running this inverted that the oil is pooling on the bottom of the piston.

w8ye, I'll replace both bearings then. I assume these are press fit and need to be heated to remove and replace.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:36 AM
Rudolph Hart

ORIGINAL: Craig 01

G'day FNQ,Hope all is well for you up there and you didnt suffer to much damage.Dead still humid air here during the period.
Anyway,for me now,back to club Saito.
Yes you should pipe up for fear of being called a bit of a wooley woofter mate
Old 02-04-2011, 04:11 AM
earlwb

Quikturn, yes you heat up the crankcase and tap the crankshaft loose. The main bearings may or may not just fall out with it as it comes out the back. The thrust washer is heated up too and it pops off as well. If the bearings stay in place. Then you have to heat up the crankcase again and tap the small front bearing out using a rod or something. Then you need something with a bit of a lip on it so you can tap the main bearing out from the front to the rear. I use a hot air gun for heat shrink tubing for heating up engine crankcases. A oven works too, but the wife might give you grief. A propane torch works but you have to be careful to not overheat the crankcase. I use a small brass hammer for this all. Don't forget that you have to get everything off the crankcase, the cylinder/head, front camshaft, etc. If you are careful, you can pull the cylinder/head off along with the piston and not disturb your piston ring in the process. The piston might rotate inside the cylinder, but the ring will stay still.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:29 AM
earlwb

I guess someone at Horizon or Saito read our posts, they dropped the price for the Saito Glow Plugs down to $9.99 now. Still kinda steep though.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SAIP400S
The previous price of $18.49 was going to really slow sales down to a crawl.
Of course the $13.99 list price isn't all that nice still. I can see some LHS's using the retail price.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Quikturn

Thanks for the pointers earlwb. I ordered the stainless steel set from RC Bearings last night. I've rebuillt plenty of 2 stroke engines but this will be my first 4 stroke that will need some maintenance. I planned on taking the whole thing apart but maybe I'll leave the piston in the cylinder and leave the top end alone. It's a low time engine and the compression is excellent. I've had good results with a torch in the past. Just keep the flame moving. I'll try a paint removal heat gun for this one.

I found some good prices on OS F plugs on ebay. You just need to buy tham 4 or more at time however.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:39 AM
earlwb

It isn't any different than working on  a two cycle engine. You just have to remove the camshaft and housing too. Fortunately the camshaft comes off with the housing holding it, so it isn't all that more complicated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.