Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 04:25 AM
Beej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

ORIGINAL: FNQFLYER

Contact Phil Collings out of the Tingalpa Club if he can't fix your engine he will know who can do the job
Thanks FNQ flyer - I'm a TMAC member so will keep that for the next problem (sent it to Brian Winch in Sydney - the "engin-ear" from Airborne Mag - he's been very helpful).

Hope your fingers are OK!

Beej
Old 06-19-2011, 06:00 AM
SkyPilot101

Eh feller's, I have been pondering converting a Saito medium size single, 120 /150, to ignition using a Rexell CDI, to run on low or no nitro (FAI) glow fuel, to power a 1/4 scale Piper Super Cub bush plane. The point being the more scale sound/performance over using a two stroke gas, and to hopefully eliminate the headachs of Saito gas motors. I have heard of oldtimers runing glow on ignition, but thought I'd ask here first to see if it's actually a viable idea. Anyone with experience with this topic? Chime In!

For those out there who will say just run gas, it's cheaper, ect., don't bother, this application is for smoother runing, lower idle, and, I guess, the cool factor!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:37 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to overshadow SkyPilot101, but while you are contemplating his question, can I toss in another one? Has anyone mounted a Saito 82 into a Horizon Hobby Cub 40? I'd be curious about any tricks that you had up your sleeve...

Thanks,

Bob
Old 06-19-2011, 08:07 PM
WRM

I have a Saito FA 72, it keeps eating the rear bearings up .
This is the third set of bearings . It eats the bearing cage up in the rear bearing. One was the factory bearing, one was put in by Horizon Hobby, and I have just put the third one in myself that I got from Boca Bearing. The factory bearing and the Horizon hobby bearings all had metal shields on them. The Boca bearing does not have shields. I think it is the shields that don’t let them oil properly. I haven't tested the new bearings. As soon as I test the new bearings I will let you know what happens. The old bearings lasted about one gal. of fuel. The fuel that I run is Wildcat 30% nitro with 18% synthetic oil-no castor. Horizon calls for 20% oil. Wildcat says their 18% is a heavier viscosity and does a better job than the lighter 20% oil
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bz78653.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1625508  
Old 06-19-2011, 09:06 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: WRM

This is the third set of bearings . It eats the bearing cage up in the rear bearing. One was the factory bearing, one was put in by Horizon Hobby, and I have just put the third one in myself that I got from Boca Bearing. The factory bearing and the Horizon hobby bearings all had metal shields on them. The Boca bearing does not have shields. I think it is the shields that don’t let them oil properly. I haven't tested the new bearings. As soon as I test the new bearings I will let you know what happens. The old bearings lasted about one gal. of fuel. The fuel that I run is Wildcat 30% nitro with 18% synthetic oil-no castor. Horizon calls for 20% oil. Wildcat says their 18% is a heavier viscosity and does a better job than the lighter 20% oil.

I'd put the engine back in service and see what happens to the new bearing(s). Of course, if you bought them from RC Bearings, you could have probably gotten all three sets for the price of just one set from the more expensive source.

I would begin to suspect the crankcase being out of alignment if the latest set of bearings die within a gallon of fuel being consumed.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-20-2011, 04:46 AM
mschulz531

ORIGINAL: WRM

This is the third set of bearings . It eats the bearing cage up inthe rear bearing. One was the factory bearing, one was put inby Horizon Hobby, and I have just put the third one in myself thatI got from Boca Bearing. The factory bearing and the Horizon hobby bearings all had metal shields on them. The Boca bearing does nothaveshields. I think it is the shields that don’t let them oil properly. I haven't tested the new bearings. As soon as I test the new bearings I will let you know what happens. The old bearings lasted about one gal. of fuel. The fuel thatI run is Wildcat 30% nitro with 18% synthetic oil-no castor. Horizon calls for 20% oil.Wildcat says their 18% is a heavier viscosity and does a better job than thelighter 20% oil.
Does your FA-72 have the plastic rear crankcase cover? If so, perhaps vibration of the cover is rubbing against the rear bearings during operation? If this is the case, I would consider replacing the plastic rear crankcase cover with the aluminum one. I did this with my FA-72.
-Mike

Old 06-20-2011, 07:06 AM
bucho
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question, I have a saito 170 r3, and it is on a GREAT PLANES WACO, I`m looking for some flexi SOFT extencions for the exhaust sistem to put all 3 lines togeteher in the down part of the couling, I know there are some metalic flexible extencions but I prefer to look for some SOFT MATERIEAL for the vivration damage that the metalic can do ti my engine. PLEASE LET ME KNOW ANY IDEA OF SOME HEAT RESESTANT SOFT TUBE or something.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Nikolas K

ORIGINAL: Nikolas K

Does anyone Saitonut here [8D], have the original manual of the FA-30S? I want the one that comes with every Saito and seems to be the factory-original one. It usually comes packed in a plastic folder with a Saito leaflet...

PS I do not want the Horizon Hobby nor the Aeronaut ones...pls if anyone has it in a file, scanned or knows where to download.That's because I believe that the factory instructions are usually the best...
Thank you.
Any help for me?
Old 06-20-2011, 10:17 AM
goforit

Has any one had a problem such as described in my post (Goforit) 19983 ?? on the G36 Saito . I would like to talk to any one about this engine .. or maybe some one could direct me to a Saito Guru....some where . Thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Since the rod, crankpin and counter balance is between the back plate and the bearing this could not happen.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Rudolph Hart

Yes i have a manual for the 30,but no scanner,anyone else?
Old 06-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Rudolph Hart

Ther should be a lot of info re the fg36 over on the gas forum,good luck.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:30 PM
FNQFLYER

Re the bearings that were chewing out.  At the SAM champs I saw a YS get destroyed because of the following
1/ The crankshaft wasn't correctly aligned with both bearings
2/ The shaft itself was suspect because the threaded end that one attaches the prop to the engine was just and I mean just slightly bent (measuired with a straight edge from the drive washer to the end) which gives pause to ponder if the "bend might not have continued into the engine.
3/ The engine was run extremely lean (yes he had the right fuel mix, 22% oil, 30% nitro rest methanol)
I personally would do a run out check on the engine and if after assembly the engine was down on revs from previous I would consider a re strip and re build making sure the bearings were properly bedded in the crankshaft. 
Old 06-20-2011, 02:33 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart, the fingers hurt (a lot) but the experience with Julia's health system (super clinics) or should I say lack of experience hurt more. The mending of the nerves is causing a little bit of angst but easily fixed with Bubdy.  Got to get over the cold though -1 up on the Tableland the other day.  Global warming bring it on for now
Old 06-20-2011, 04:39 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi WRM,

When you install those new bearings, don't oil them at first. Assuming that the crankcase and crankshaft are not bent from a previous mishap, the crank's counterweight should fall to the bottom freely. Of course, add oil afterwards (I use caster, myself) so that the bearings are properly lubed before the first run.

Just my $.02

Bob
Old 06-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Nikolas K

ORIGINAL: Old Fart

Yes i have a manual for the FA-30,but no scanner,anyone else?

Anyone else?
Old 06-21-2011, 07:22 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Nikolas,

Let me look this afternoon. It is still packed somewhere, but I have one.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:35 AM
panhndl
My Feedback: (10)

So I bought this 90R3 to put into a Kyosho FW 190 ( http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=7954 ), but while the engine will fit inside the cowl, the prop will not be able to clear the cowl. So, I'm going to have to stick this engine in something else. Since this engine doesn't have a ton of power, I was thinking that something in the WW1 time frame would be best. I've found Proctor Enterprises, Arizona Models, & Balsa USA. I've never built a plane (all arfs thus far) but I wouldn't mind trying. Anyone want to suggest something for this engine and a pretty novice builder? ARF, ARC, kit, etc. are all welcome.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:12 AM
n6iap

It is time for me to give and take, some advice that is.

I have used the Saito 90R3 in a Top Flite Gold Edition Corsair Kit and in the SNJ (AT6-Texan) ARF and it performed very well. I have seen it in other ARF’s designed for a 60 sized engine and where I would go with another. Hanger 9 claims to have put it in the Sopwith Camel.

Friday I am scheduled to receive my new Saito 200R3 which I plan to put in the Great Planes WACO. Has anyone had a chance to compare the motor with the 170R3 besides the sales info posted? I have the 170R3 in my Super Stearman and according to the write-ups they both are 15# airplanes. Anyone have any experiences with the 200R3?

Thanks,

jimm
Old 06-21-2011, 10:39 AM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: panhndl

So I bought this 90R3 to put into a Kyosho FW 190 ( http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=7954 ), but while the engine will fit inside the cowl, the prop will not be able to clear the cowl. So, I'm going to have to stick this engine in something else. Since this engine doesn't have a ton of power, I was thinking that something in the WW1 time frame would be best. I've found Proctor Enterprises, Arizona Models, & Balsa USA. I've never built a plane (all arfs thus far) but I wouldn't mind trying. Anyone want to suggest something for this engine and a pretty novice builder? ARF, ARC, kit, etc. are all welcome.

Most of the work of the prop is done by the tips. Try it and see how she flies....
Old 06-21-2011, 12:37 PM
panhndl

ORIGINAL: mike early

ORIGINAL: panhndl

Most of the work of the prop is done by the tips. Try it and see how she flies....

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The engine will fit into the cowl, but it will not go far enough forward. The cowl narrows towards the front and I'd have to cut it to get the engine far enough forward. I don't want to do that so I'm going to go a different direction. I know the 90 will fly the plane, but I'd have to get some type of shaft extension to get the prop outside the cowl. Is that clearer?
Old 06-21-2011, 12:43 PM
panhndl

ORIGINAL: n6iap

It is time for me to give and take, some advice that is.

I have used the Saito 90R3 in a Top Flite Gold Edition Corsair Kit and in the SNJ (AT6-Texan) ARF and it performed very well. I have seen it in other ARF’s designed for a 60 sized engine and where I would go with another. Hanger 9 claims to have put it in the Sopwith Camel.

Friday I am scheduled to receive my new Saito 200R3 which I plan to put in the Great Planes WACO. Has anyone had a chance to compare the motor with the 170R3 besides the sales info posted? I have the 170R3 in my Super Stearman and according to the write-ups they both are 15# airplanes. Anyone have any experiences with the 200R3?

Thanks,

jimm
I read a little on here about the H9 Sopwith, and it sounded like it was marginal for power. I wouldn't mind trying it in the Corsair 50, but I'm fairly sure that I'll run into the same problems with fitting it inside the cowl. I have heard of folks sticking them into the H9 60 size Corsair, but again, said it was marginal for power. And I live in a high wind area. It just makes me a bit skeptical on a 60 size plane and the engine.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:29 PM
WRM

Hi Fellows

First, it doesn’t have a plastic backing plate. I didn’t oil the bearings to put them in.
I did tap on the case with a plastic mallet to unload the bearings.
I ran the engine, and it will turn 9800 rpm with a 14/4 APC .
I called Horizon hobby today and asked why the inner bearings had a shield on
them. The man said he didn’t know. But he would email Saito and ask them
to email me an answer. So as soon as I get the email I will post it.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Rv7garage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So has anyone seen the new FA-120R3? Looks like a bored-out 90R3.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SAIE120R3

Sorry if this has already been discussed, I'm notoriously late to parties...
Old 06-24-2011, 03:26 PM
mike109

G'day

I bought a 90R3 to put in a H9 Sopwith Camel but I have put it into a Kadet Senior to see how it runs. It is less powerful than my Saito 56. I will keep it in the Kadet for a while and keep running it to see if it improves as it runs in but I suspect it will always be a bit low on power. I also have a 90TS twin and it is quite a bit better than the 90R3.

Mike in Oz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.