Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 08:34 PM
clytle374

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

ORIGINAL: w8ye

The only revisions ever done to the 100 was different mufflers and glow plugs. They were just ongoing changes to make them the same as other Saito engines.

Run your engine as it is.
Thanks, now I can sleep soundly.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:16 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi dave what do you think about the fox miracle plug in saitos,notice any difference? thinking of trying some and is there any difference in plug length re compression? cheers
Old 06-30-2011, 05:15 AM
mudboger07

ORIGINAL: Old Fart

Hi dave what do you think about the fox miracle plug in saitos,notice any difference? thinking of trying some and is there any difference in plug length re compression? cheers
I have had great luck running all my saito's on a os f plug and 30% nitro with 21% oil, the idea is very smooth and low and it give the motor a little more power.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:26 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

OF, I like the Fox Miracle and used them exclusively until I got a couple of GloDevil 4c specials and a few Taipan 4c plugs. The Saito SS is also a great plug. The Fox is still my plug of choice. The only edge I would give to the OS-f is that it will cover up poor tuning better than some others. Poor tuning is not an option at my house.

On July 15 I'm riding my Harley to western Pa. for a reunion, my cousin from Perth is going to be there, I haven't seen her for about 55 years.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:39 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

H, I have run all my Saitos on 5% nitro at one time or another and they do fine on it. All except the little .30, it needs to idle at about 2,700 on 5%.
Thanks Hobbsy. Do I need to run castor oil in Saitos? Or can I run all synthetic? I am debating whether I can run all my 4 stroke engines on 100% synthetic (and Fox Miracle plug).
Old 06-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Hobbsy

I think you'll find that most Saito users here recommend a little castor, since 1993 the bulk of my fuel has been WildCat 10 or 15% with 18% 80/20 syn/ castor blend. WildCat calls it Premium Extra. Last summer I bought 4 gallons of WildCat 2/4 fuel that is 15% nitro and 18% synthetic, so far so good.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:08 PM
Rudolph Hart

Thanks dave i'm going to try a couple of the fox plugs and see how i go.

H,i always use 13% synthetic and 5% caster.

Dave i've been waiting to see when some fool is going to say "ok,what or who is veeger",guess it's my turn?
Old 06-30-2011, 05:17 PM
biggbear

Dave i've been waiting to see when some fool is going to say ''ok,what or who is veeger'',guess it's my turn?
Veeger requires the information, because Veeger wants to "Live Long and Prosper"

or, Cap'n, the Dilithium Crystals canna take this for much longer!! She's gonn'a fly apart any second now!!

Scotty!More Power to the Engines!!

Think I got it right??!!

Bj.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:19 PM
mschulz531

"veeger" == Voyager

Dave i've been waiting to see when some fool is going to say "ok,what or who is veeger",guess it's my turn?
Old 07-01-2011, 03:58 AM
Rudolph Hart

Thanks fellas that just bent me over and smashed my face into the keyboard,dave you so and so mongrel
Old 07-01-2011, 08:06 AM
canadagoose
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

I don't know what kind of measurements you guys take, but I just bought me a used plane with a Saito 1.80 Golden Knight. Nice!! Haven't started it yet.
So, here's a few dumb question to bug you with (I honestly am not going to read all 800+ pages of this forum, I'll read some).
1. What is a good fuel to use? I want the minimum nitro I can get by to save $$$.
2. Can I use my standard starter or is it too wimpy for a 1.80?
3. Anthing I should watch out for? This is my first Saito ever and my first large engine (my next one down in size is a Fox .74 and I am still learning how to use that one). Other 4-strokes I have are OS 70 Surpass II, Thunder Tiger 75 4-stroke, and Magnum 52 RFS (which has been giving me trouble, maybe valve seats not right?)
I bought a Saito 180 a short while ago. I have it mounted in a plane which it has flown about 6 times now. All i can say is this engine runs great with gobs of power! You'll want a big fuel tank because it is a thirsty engine. So far i've only run it on 15% four stroke fuel. 10% would probably be fine anyways. For starting all i use is a leather glove to flip the prop backwards on compression by hand, started on first flip every time after a good prime. I think you would need a heavy duty electric starter to turn this engine over.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:11 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: hsukaria
I don't know what kind of measurements you guys take, but I just bought me a used plane with a Saito 1.80 Golden Knight. Nice!! Haven't started it yet.
So, here's a few dumb question to bug you with (I honestly am not going to read all 800+ pages of this forum, I'll read some).
1. What is a good fuel to use? I want the minimum nitro I can get by to save $$$.
2. Can I use my standard starter or is it too wimpy for a 1.80?
3. Anthing I should watch out for? This is my first Saito ever and my first large engine (my next one down in size is a Fox .74 and I am still learning how to use that one). Other 4-strokes I have are OS 70 Surpass II, Thunder Tiger 75 4-stroke, and Magnum 52 RFS (which has been giving me trouble, maybe valve seats not right?)
1.) I use Omega branded fuel which uses a blend of synthetic and castor oil. I also get the cheaper 5% nitromethane content fuel as well. Depending on the compression, you could run zero nitro fuel too. many engines run well off of zero nitro glow fuel. They just have a more sensitive needle adjustment to them.
2.) Maybe, maybe not, but usually those bigger engines hand start quite easily. You can use a reverse flip method to start it, thus you are less likely to slice yourself on a razor sharp prop trailing edge.
3.) I normally run the engine extra rich, really rich for a few minutes at a lower throttle setting to ensure it gets oiled up good on the inside. Then go on to normal break in procedures. You might also want to check the valve gaps too and while the valve covers are of oil the top end some and dribble a little oil down the pushrod tubes for the lifters down below. The initial engine runs can destroy a glow plug due to minute metal particles and packing oils, so do not be surprised if the glow plug goes bad quickly.

Yeah the Fox Miracle plug works pretty good. Granted there are some other plugs that work good too and maybe arguably a little better, but they work fine.

After a while running it in do check the valve gaps, on a new engine they can change on you.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Hobbsy

Mr. Scott, do you always multiply your repair extimates by a factor of four?

How else can I keep my reputation as miracle worker, sir. Yep, I'm a Trekky.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:15 PM
FNQFLYER

A little while ago I was asking for opinions re using a Saito 82 in a 12 pound Marutaka (Royal) Stinson Reliant.  Before the Saito 65 went bad and chewed me up I tested one in a 1/4 scale SIG cub and a similar sized ARF Decathalon.  The Cub was "ok" operated in the circuit with a throttle range from 1/2 to 3/4 with full throttle and a good run to get of the ground (didn't use flaps).  The Decthalon was similar but shorter run with flaps.
So I guess my question is answered and I will attempt to use it in the Reliant.  I reckon it should be ok but I'll arrange the engine mount so I can upgrade the engine if the need arises
I don't know the weights of the 2 test a/c but they would have been at least 12 pound and I was running 15% nitro and I think 20% synthetic (what ever the factory recommendation was) fuel and the day was cold.
We are having a very wet "dry season" here in FNQ so flying is some what limited but I am thinking about letting the 65 out of the naughty corner this w/end
Catch ya.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Rudolph Hart

That would put you firmly in the space cadet camp over here.. have a safe ride and a good re-union brother.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Rudolph Hart

Popey you are a lot closer to fnq than i am.Could you whip up there and convince him to follow the old engine rule? eg if it says 120 two stroke you put a 220 fourstroke etc i'll shout the swampwater mate!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:02 PM
WRM

You are going to love Saito's email about my bearings.

Date: June 22, 2011 9:59:26 AM CDT
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: FW: Ticket #: 001-00-1615874 Open

Hi Randy,

Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby Product Support.

I received a response from Saito regarding the rear bearing being shielded., please read below.

If you should need further assistance regarding this issue please reply to this e-mail for additional support. If you need assistance in the future, please feel free to e-mail us at [email protected] or you may also contact us toll-free at 1-877-504-0233. Make sure to visit our web site at http://www.horizonhobby.com to see all of our newest products!

Thank You,

David W.
Horizon Hobby
Product Support Team
4105 Fieldstone Rd
Champaign IL 61822
1-877-504-0233

Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:07 AM
To: David; DIST: ASKSAI
Subject: RE: Ticket #: 001-00-1615874 Open

David,

I received this response from Saito today. I hope this helps with your customer.

About rear bearing for FA-72;
In the past, there was an incident that the retainer of the rear bearing was broken and the balls spread in the crankcase.
After that, we’ve chosen the shielded bearing for several engines.
The shield has appropriate clearance for lubrication so he doesn’t need to be worried.

Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:38 PM
To: DIST: ASKSAI
Subject: Ticket #: 001-00-1615874 Open

Hello Saito Team,
A customer is requesting information on the FA-72. He is wondering why the rear bearing is shielded. He believes the rear shield prevents the bearing from being properly lubricated, any ideas?

TICKET RECEIVED: 6/21/2011 5:35:58 PM

DESCRIPTION: 
WTK why we shielded the back bearing

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lj22983.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1630332  
Old 07-01-2011, 06:13 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It just doesn't make any difference whether you leave the shield on the rear bearing or not.

The bearings and cam still get lubrication regardless.

If anything about the bearing cage fails, the little metal pieces still go all through the engine - metal shield or not.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:27 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Jim- I have to agree completely. Bearings are going to fail. The less debris, the better IMO.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:10 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart, the plans / kit for my Reliant call for a 120 (in 1990's money) 4stroke and I figured that if I could get one that was 
a/ lighter and b producing the same or better power in the same rev range in a smaller capacity modern 4 stroke why not try to do so.  The 82 puts out similar HP for similar RPM sso it should have worked as it appeared to in the test a/frames.
We have a local distillery (Mt Uncle Distillery) that products this lethal rum made from cane sugar rather than molassas which will put additional hair on your chest, you should come and try it and if it isn't to your taste they have have some stuff called "Sexy Cat" and it is pink and equally as lethal.  
Old 07-02-2011, 02:44 AM
Rudolph Hart

Hey i might get up there one day and i can see that i'll have to be nicer to you,my ex handbrake used to drink that quality swampwater and phew turned her mean now and then friend
Old 07-02-2011, 03:44 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: FNQFLYER

Old Fart, the plans / kit for my Reliant call for a 120 (in 1990's money) 4stroke and I figured that if I could get one that was
a/ lighter and b producing the same or better power in the same rev range in a smaller capacity modern 4 stroke why not try to do so. The 82 puts out similar HP for similar RPM sso it should have worked as it appeared to in the test a/frames.
We have a local distillery (Mt Uncle Distillery) that products this lethal rum made from cane sugar rather than molassas which will put additional hair on your chest, you should come and try it and if it isn't to your taste they have have some stuff called ''Sexy Cat'' and it is pink and equally as lethal.

I could see trying the .82 (of which I own two, and love them) if the manufacturer of the model called for a .91 to 1.00, but I think that you are asking too much of the little engine in this case.

Of course, I like easy takeoffs and the sound of an engine running at 1/3rd throttle when cruising. Your little .82 is going to be sweating just cruising around. If I'm wrong, how about taking some video showing the model cruising and mainting altitude at less than half throttle (without losing altitude)? Good luck and please let us know how this turns out, regardless of the direction in which it heads.

Your alcohol situation sounds appealing.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-02-2011, 07:06 PM
n6iap

Bucho,

Not sure if you ever got an answer but I have the Saito 170R3 also, it is in my Super Stearman. I just bought the 200R3 for the GP WACO. The 200R3 has long flexable exausts like the 100 Twin. I measure about 11-1/2 inches. They enterchange with the 170R3 and might work for what you want.

I going with a custom exhaust and will post it after it is done. I want the exhaust to exit at 9 o'clock like one of the YMF's I found to scale after.

Hope that helps,

jimm
Old 07-04-2011, 08:29 PM
FNQFLYER

NM2K  I tried the 82 in a similar weight and configuration Cub and Decathalon and I'll be trying it in a SIG Senior Cadet initially 3 channel and then full house with ailerons and flaps.  The dimensions of the models are roughly the same give or take an inch in length and wingspan.  The driving force here is to keep the engne inside the cowl (for scale comp purposes) but I could use a 91 by being careful in cutting out a couple of the cowl blisters.
My mate has a Saito 91 (also a consideration because I like the reliability / sound of the Saitos) so I guess I'll have to see if I can "borrow" it off him.  He might not like it being displaced some 1700km's (approx 1,000 miles) probably thinks I'll try to keep it like he does with mine
Thanks for the input I am off to the distillery t get some booze for my non drinking daughter in law
Catch ya 
Old 07-06-2011, 04:58 PM
boogermancan

well i was thinking about putting a saito sticker. on my electric motor and seeing what the people at the club would say . i dont think its going to fly. but one can all way's gawk at it, and say NOT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.