Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 03:27 PM
A6TEXAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

question about "throttle position" solved.
thanks again John.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:04 AM
Cloutmaster

Hi guys,I need some help to locate a part for a 130 twin Saito ,I have tried in vain to get this part.
About six months ago I did in a glow plug in this engine, to my dismay when I removed the affending plug part of the bush came out with it. I contatced Horizan Hobbies for this part and was told that I would have to go through the Australian saito agent to get this part. The agents here do not carry this part, since then I have tried various hobby shops in the USA but to no avail. The part number I am looking for is SAI450R3DPI, (this part number was given to me by Horizan Hobbies, it is the same part number as for 130). It is a flanged hellicoil that goes into the front of the cylnder head to take the glow plug.
If any one could put me on to somewhere I can purchase this part I would be greatfull as the plane has been grounded for long enough.
Many thanks
Keith

Old 11-10-2011, 06:33 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm pretty sure Clarence Lee has these but I don't have his Email. The problem with Heli Coils is that a glow plug is a SAE NSF size at 1/4-32.

C.F. Lee Manufacturing Co.
10112 Woodward Ave.
Sunland, Ca, 91040-3342
818-352-3766
Old 11-10-2011, 08:31 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[email protected]
Old 11-10-2011, 04:48 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think that those 1/4-32 helicoils are available any more, but I think that Clarence got a good stash of them before they were discontinued...

... and I could be wrong about that

Bob
Old 11-10-2011, 05:05 PM
TJDNC

Greetings to All,

This is my first post here. I recently purchased what I was told was a limited use Saito 300TL. It turned out to be a 300T that appeared to be in good condition. During further inspection I found that 2 of the lifters are stuck in their bores. Overall the engine turns by hand but is very stiff. I put some after run down the cylinder bores with no change to the stiffness.

My first instinct was to go back to the seller for a return or readjustment. However, I want to see if it will be economical in the long run to make some repairs. I assume that the stiffness is due to gummed up bearings so, I would change them. Since I am going into the engine far enough for a bearing change I would also change the rings. If I can not get the lifters to move then I would also need to change the cam/lifter housing. I downloaded the Saito Manual from Horizon and found the parts needed. However the manual does not cover the 300T.

My questions are:

1. Are to 300T parts Ive described interchangeable with the 300TL parts?

2. I paid $300 for the 300T as is. After making the rebuild I would have essentially a new engine. Considering the cost and the age of the 300T, is it worthwhile rebuilding?

Thanks for your opinions,
Thomas
Old 11-10-2011, 05:54 PM
w8ye

I doubt you need to do all of that to the engine? You may do more harm than good taking it apart too far. I've free'd up many engines. Take the valve covers off and get some oil down the pushrod tubes. They usually stick at the valves themselves and not the lifter bores. Pull the exhaust off and squirt some oil on the valve stems, put some oil around the valve springs, etc.

Put some Dexron ATF or WD40 all inside it and try to get it free. Then drain the oil out and run it. It may have to soak a few days.

The two Saito 300 differ mainly by the dual plugs and the different carb setup.

After you get it free, then make an evaluation of the bearings. I've never experienced stuck rings in a Saito.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:00 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I doubt you need to do all of that to the engine? You may do more harm than good taking it apart too far. I've free'd up many engines. Take the valve covers off and get some oil down the pushrod tubes. They usually stick at the valves themselves and not the lifter bores. Pull the exhaust off and squirt some oil on the valve stems, put some oil around the valve springs, etc.

Put some Dexron ATF or WD40 all inside it and try to get it free. Then drain the oil out and run it. It may have to soak a few days.

The two Saito 300 differ mainly by the dual plugs and the different carb setup.

After you get it free, then make an evaluation of the bearings. I've never experienced stuck rings in a Saito.

W8YE,
Would soaking the engine with antifreeze in a crockpot help unstick the engine since that cleans the baked-on castor oil?
Old 11-10-2011, 06:14 PM
TJDNC

W8ye,

I have already removed the cam/lifter housing. The valves are not stuck, they open and close freely. The lifters are actually stuck in the bores of the housing. I thought about using my crockpot and antifreeze. I will try it tomorrow and see if it frees up the lifters. If I can get the lifters free I will attempt to run the engine and go from there.

Thanks,
Thomas
Old 11-10-2011, 06:27 PM
w8ye

Those cam followers have flanges on the bottom side. They are mushroom tappets. To get them out, you must remove the cam from the cover.

The antifreeze would help but he already has it apart.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:31 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Before you use the crock pot (which I've used successfully in the past) try using W8YE's suggestions, but combine that with hitting the housing with a heat gun to see if the gummy caster will loosen up. I just loosened up a 46FX tonight like that. It had been put away wet about 10 years ago. Don't use too much heat, you don't want to burn the oil that you've put in there already.

W8YE, what do you think of my suggestion?

Just my $.02

Bob
Old 11-10-2011, 06:36 PM
w8ye

When you get the lifters free, get back with us on setting the cams. On the left cam there is probably a line instead of a dot for the cam reference mark.

When standing at the rear of the engine looking forward, set the cam on the right cylinder first and then turn the crank 360 degrees and set the left cam.

Double check check your cam positions by observing the rocker arms being parallel at TDC on both the the compression and overlap strokes.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:37 PM
w8ye

Bob,

Good suggestion
Old 11-11-2011, 05:43 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

James and all my Saito buds, this is a little OffTopic, well its a lot OffTopic. My brother Paul in Columbia, Mo. and I are Patriot Guard Riders, Paul is also a great bass player and trumpet player. He has been asked to play Taps at the end of some of the PGR rides so he bought mimself a new bugle. I thought I'd share that with Y'all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54952.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1685049  
Old 11-11-2011, 06:43 AM
hsukaria

This will also be off-topic, but I think appropriate for this day.

I want to thank all you Veterans who served this great country. We all owe you a great debt.

(moderators may want to move this to the appropriate area, sorry).
Old 11-11-2011, 06:56 AM
Hobbsy

Sad but true when we PGR guys and gals are called into action someone has given their all for us. It unbelieveable how appreciative the families are.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:20 AM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

James and all my Saito buds, this is a little OffTopic, well its a lot OffTopic. My brother Paul in Columbia, Mo. and I are Patriot Guard Riders, Paul is also a great bass player and trumpet player. He has been asked to play Taps at the end of some of the PGR rides so he bought mimself a new bugle. I thought I'd share that with Y'all.
Looks nice

I still play my Super 64 note Chromatic harmonica all the time but I'm not honored like your brother. I doubt I'm as good either.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:54 AM
bill3388
My Feedback: (18)

Hi Saito guys,

One of my flying buddies had an usual thing happen last weekend that I never saw before. Two teeth broke off the cam gear on his Saito .82A.

Here are the details,

H9 Tango plane
Wildcat Premium (18% oil, 10% nitro)
OS "F" plug
Master Airscrew 14x6 prop

Fortunately, when he was getting ready to fly, he turned the engine over and it locked up. Dis-assembly didn't show any other apparent damage. I have heard of this happening when people flip the engine backwards to start, but my buddy never did this. Any ideas? THANKS!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:34 AM
w8ye

I keep hearing on here a couple times a year about a Saito loosing some teeth off the cam gear.

I cannot help but think it is more related to a valve sticking?
Old 11-11-2011, 10:57 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: bill3388

Hi Saito guys,

One of my flying buddies had an usual thing happen last weekend that I never saw before. Two teeth broke off the cam gear on his Saito .82A.

Here are the details,

H9 Tango plane
Wildcat Premium (18% oil, 10% nitro)
OS ''F'' plug
Master Airscrew 14x6 prop

Fortunately, when he was getting ready to fly, he turned the engine over and it locked up. Dis-assembly didn't show any other apparent damage. I have heard of this happening when people flip the engine backwards to start, but my buddy never did this. Any ideas? THANKS!
Is there a lot of evidence about the backflipping causing teeth to break? That is how I have been starting my Saito 1.80 since my engine starter is not capable of turning the engine over. It would be good to know before I cause damage to my engine.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Hobbsy

Backflipping would not break the cam teeth, it is less force than hitting it with a starter. The cam has so little fywheel action as to be negligible and half speed it even less.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:52 AM
bill3388
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I keep hearing on here a couple times a year about a Saito loosing some teeth off the cam gear.

I cannot help but think it is more related to a valve sticking?
Thanks Jim, I will check to see how the valve guide clearance feels.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:39 PM
TJDNC

I applied a little heat as N!EDM suggested and the lifter broke free. I oiled all parts thoroughly and have reassembled per the Saito manual. All the valves are moving and it has great compression. My test stand is not made to handle the way this engine mounts but it should be easy to make one.

I definately came to the right place for advice. There is no doubt that I will keep this engine. It was a good deal. Any other suggestions about running and operating it would be appreciated.

Thanks Much and a Happy Veterans Day to all of you that served.

Thomas
Old 11-11-2011, 01:11 PM
barry wetherell

Cloutmaster, have you tried Advantage Hobbies or Phil's Hobbies for your parts ??????, both of these will sell you Saito parts
Barry
Old 11-11-2011, 04:28 PM
w8ye

I generally buy from Advantage Hobbies. In addition to not playing marketing games like Tower, they have available products from both Hobbico and Horizon. Advantage is strategically located half way in between the other two companies. When you place your order, they send the guy out in the van right after lunch to go get the items from Hobbico (Tower) and Horizon. When he gets back, the items are sent out to you.

The bottom line of this is that Advantage carries very little of their own inventory and they use the inventory of Hobbico and Horizon. If an item is out of stock at one of the two biggies. Advantage does not have it either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.