Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 02:40 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Hi mate do you think an 18x8@8000 is a bit fast,earoplane wise i mean.My 82 runs a 14x6@8400 it really scoots along
Old 04-22-2012, 02:41 AM
Rudolph Hart

I'll check here and pm you.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:32 AM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

the decathlon weighs in at 18 pounds. it is very very slow right now.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:37 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For all those who own a Saito 220 4S that won't idle I believe I have found the problem. Check your valve clearence after break-in and then again after thrity minutes of air time. What I found amazed me.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:45 PM
rexracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a 220, but do tell...what was it?
Old 04-22-2012, 12:53 PM
ChrisFlysRC
My Feedback: (23)

I have a Saito 82 and the muffler keeps loosening up during any flights I make on my Pawnee. I recently got a new Saito muffler and plan on adding locktite to keep the muffler on and not from loosening up cause engine failure in flight. Has anyone has the same problems. Also the muffler extension from Dubro wont stay on the muffler with the tie included from Dubro. Any recommendations other than locktite for the muffler?

Chris
Old 04-22-2012, 01:19 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Back when the Saito 62 first came out, there was a guy on here with one that kept breaking the exhaust pipe.

So he placed it for sale in the RCU Market Place. I bought it.

It came with a new exhaust pipe - I put it on a Ultra Stick 40 and have been using it for three years and have never had any trouble with the exhaust pipe or muffler.

In the package, he included the spinner and adapter that he had on the plane. The aluminum spinner had been forced down over the prop without making the prop reliefs bigger and had warped it. Needless to say, I used a new spinner that was cut out for the 13 X 6 prop I was using.

The newer versions of the Saito cast mufflers have been machined on the outlet to be straight on the outside with a groove machined in it with a knot out on the end for the Dubro extension strap to have something to grab against. The part number for the one on the 82 is SAI6574D. Notice the "D" out on the end. This is the machined one.

This link should get you to the Saito 82 and you will have to look at the parts http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...se-ab-SAIE082B

Old 04-22-2012, 02:45 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Teflon tape works well from what people say. Ive never had problems with Saito mufflers.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Jim, my .62 has never turned anything but a Graupner 12x7, it electric motor smooth, it has never loosened the stock muffler nor a TurboHeader. I may be able to fly in a couple of weeks, my RCM 40 is ready with the .62.

This also qualifies as training to play the bagpipes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96035.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1753744  
Old 04-22-2012, 04:16 PM
mike109

G'day

Dave - I don't think that anyone has ever managed to really learn to play the pipes

On another Saito note, I took my little Tiger Moth bi-plane out for an airing yesterday. It has not been out for about 12 months. It is powered by a Saito 40a. It took a little while to get it to start as I think there was some fuel residue in the carby but once running we were into the air. I had forgotten just what a nice quiet, powerful little engine the 40a is. I had a long flight even doing some very un-scale loops and inverted flight. Even managed a passable roll. It was fun on a stick.

Cheers

Mike in Oz
Old 04-22-2012, 05:56 PM
radial1951

Hi mike

"...un-scale loops and inverted flight. Even managed a passable roll..." ??? Really? With a Tigger?

I wasn't sure what a Tiger Moth could actually do, being an old fashioned bi-plane and all... BUT it seems there isn't much it can't do!!

Worth a look: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O06jqYABpq0[/youtube]

Must be Saito powered...

Regards RossG
radial1951

ORIGINAL: mike109

G'day

On another Saito note, I took my little Tiger Moth bi-plane out for an airing yesterday. It has not been out for about 12 months. It is powered by a Saito 40a. It took a little while to get it to start as I think there was some fuel residue in the carby but once running we were into the air. I had forgotten just what a nice quiet, powerful little engine the 40a is. I had a long flight even doing some very un-scale loops and inverted flight. Even managed a passable roll. It was fun on a stick.

Cheers

Mike in Oz
Old 04-22-2012, 06:35 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: radial1951

Hi mike

''...un-scale loops and inverted flight. Even managed a passable roll...'' ??? Really? With a Tigger? [img][/img]

I wasn't sure what a Tiger Moth could actually do, being an old fashioned bi-plane and all... BUT it seems there isn't much it can't do!!

Worth a look: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O06jqYABpq0[/youtube]

Must be Saito powered...

Regards RossG
radial1951

ORIGINAL: mike109

G'day

Cheers

Mike in Oz
That must be a really big Saito on that plane!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:49 AM
mike109

G'day

The DH82 Tiger Moth used to be very common in our skys. The British and Commonwealth airforces used thousands of them to train beginning pilots. There were several training schools not far from where I now live in Dubbo in country New South Wales. After WWII, thousands of them were sold into private hands and I remember seeing them quit often flying over our house in Sydney. These days they are still around but have become collector's items rather than day to day planes.

After watching that video, I must have a go at getting it to spin. It was just so majestic.

A Tiger will do a loop but it needs a bit of help in the form of a small dive to get a little extra airspeed. My model, with the Saito 40a, is probably overpowered compared to the originals as it will loop from level flight.

The video above shows just how aerobatic they were and still are. They are said to be "easy to fly" but " not easy to fly well" and instructors liked them as they tended to weed out inept students quickly. It would have had a Gypsy Major inverted air cooled four cylinder engine of 130HP. They are unusual in that they rotate the opposite way to most aero engines and the opposite of our Saitos. Top speed? 109 mph. Cruise speed? 67 mph. And in the 1930s, people flew the earlier DH 60 Gipsy Moth from England to Australia. At least you would see the scenery. Slowly.

My brother-n-law was recently given a flight in one for his birthday. He really looked the part with a leather flying helmet.

Cheers

Mike in Oz

Old 04-23-2012, 05:36 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Jim, my .62 has never turned anything but a Graupner 12x7, it electric motor smooth, it has never loosened the stock muffler nor a TurboHeader. I may be able to fly in a couple of weeks, my RCM 40 is ready with the .62.

This also qualifies as training to play the bagpipes.
Hobbsy, I know Saitos spin big props, but WOW!!! That must have been a big prop that whacked your arm.[X(]
Old 04-23-2012, 12:30 PM
w8ye

As you already know, you will really enjoy the Saito 62. They are a really fine engine.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Ernie Misner

If your dubro exhaust extention is coming off - use JBWeld and build up a little "ring" or high spot around the end of the muffler. When that sets up you can file it some if your shape didn't turn out just right. Also use a little red (high temp) silicone rubber when you zip tie the extention back on. It won't come off again.

Use a bit of teflon tape on the exhaust threads or plumbers thread compound that has teflon (high temp) in it. After you get the engine hot then re-tighten the lock nuts and that should do it. Make sure the prop is balanced too.

Ernie Misner
Old 04-23-2012, 05:33 PM
ckreef

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

If your dubro exhaust extention is coming off - use JBWeld and build up a little "ring" or high spot around the end of the muffler. When that sets up you can file it some if your shape didn't turn out just right.
I did that on a OS .40 LA and the exhaust hasn't come off since then

If you have an extension without a lip ("ring") it will eventually fall off.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Ernie Misner

If you want to make a perfect looking JBWeld ring on the end...... after putting the JBWeld on, stand the muffler up on its end with a piece of waxed paper between the ring end of the muffler and a hard surface. When dry file or sand the ring a bit and it will amaze you.

Ernie Misner
Old 04-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Kostas1

My recent test-run:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVMNLNB_j-k[/youtube]
Old 04-24-2012, 04:21 AM
Rudolph Hart

So THAT'S where you hide your hairy knuckles
Old 04-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Tarasdad

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow RCU forumite I now own two Saito FA-91s. Both need some TLC but hey, they were free so I can't complain! Both are rear vent but have the newer muffler. One has the letter "F" stamped on the right mounting lug, the other has nothing. I plan to do a careful cleaning and tear down of them to see what parts they will need.

I do love Saito, and now I own three!
Old 04-28-2012, 07:24 PM
w8ye

All the 91's have a rear vent

The one with no letter on the lug has a replacement crankcase.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Tarasdad

Thanks for the info, I was wondering about the missing stamp. Going to be interesting to tear these down (one at a time, of course!) and see how they are. I'm hoping they'll just need a good cleaning but one may need bearings. Both are pretty dirty, especially the mufflers. I have a feeling both are pretty well gummed up with old castor. Fortunately I have some fresh fuel on hand to soak 'em in.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Ernie Misner

Have you used the crock pot method of cleaning them up before?

Ernie
Old 04-29-2012, 07:38 AM
Tarasdad

Nah, I'm more the toothbrush-and-elbow-grease type. I enjoy breaking an engine down and cleaning each part along the way. Just more fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.