Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 07:00 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

PL:

Hold the piston firmly, a vise with padded jaws works fine. Then hold the ring flat on top with the gap over the edge. Push one end of the ring down gently and feed it into the ring groove. Slowly work the rest of the ring down and into the groove. Want pictures?It will take a little while, but I have a couple apart now and it wont be a lot of trouble.
----------------------------------------------
JLK and Gum:

I didn't cheat, it's just that the only plane I know with a nose like that is the Slowpoke.

Bill.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:17 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I went out to the field today with Torque Wrench's old Ultra stick 40 with my old style Saito 50 recently installed. I bought the engine used in 1999. Never used it. I recently put bearings in it. The engine appeared to be used very little. It started right up and after adjusting the HS needle, she ran perfect without touching the LS. Even the trim on the transmitter was in the middle. How lucky do you get?

I took off and the weather was very rough. I only flew it three times and came home.

BLWBLW had his Saito 72 on a Wide Body 40. He had raised the tank and fixed the intake pipe. We had already run the engine on a test stand.

Liked to never got it running. Must have been trash in the tank? After it stayed running, it idled down as perfect as any engine. He only flew once while I was there. The wind was just too variable and gusty.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 03-23-2006, 07:34 PM
powerlines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the help AGAIN!! I was scared I would break it when I took the other off and it broke. I was planning on changing it anyways.. That's the good part. Now all I need is the bearings.. OH YEA!! The bearings were shot out. They would turn once I took them out but not easy and had gritty feel to them. They crank was just spinning in the middle of the bearing. Good thing is there is no sign of wer anywhere else on the engine. I have it all cleaned up and ready to go when my bearings in. Should be soon I hope..

Thanks AGIAN!! and LATER
Old 03-23-2006, 07:37 PM
EMVIN

Hey guys 237 checking in. I just wanted to say it was a beautiful afternoon here in NY so I skipped work and went flying. My saito 180 ran great and pulled my GP 74" Extra 300s with authority!! Flying Season Is BacK!!!!!! I will be breaking in a 220 next week.... Cant wait to FEEL THE POWER..
SAITO RULES......Happy Flying....emvin
Old 03-23-2006, 07:45 PM
spec36

here is my club pics[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41638.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	431737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19415.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	431738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58237.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	431739  
Old 03-23-2006, 07:54 PM
William Robison

Spec:

One caveat - the Top Flite "Power Point" props that I have used have ALWAYS been out of balance, and generally they have been further out than any other brand of props I've used. Once balanced they do work fine.

Bill.

PS: Attractive plane in the second pic. wr.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Thunderchild

Question

I would like to print out this entire thread (yes all 95 odd pages) for a club member who is computer deprived............can anyone tell me how to select "all pages" when I go to the printable version of the thread please?

Cheers,

TC
Old 03-23-2006, 08:45 PM
William Robison

TC:

You will have to do it 94 times, once for each page, but it's easy if you have enough time and paper.

First select "Printable version," then click "Edit" at the top left of the print version page. Go down in the option box that opens and click "Print." Then add paper as needed for the first page until done.

Then while still on the print view select the next page and another ream of paper. Keep going. Come back next fall when you've finished. Haw.

A method you might [prefer is getting the print version, use your mouse to select all the text you want and copy it into an ordinary text file. Do this with each page until it's all in your text file. Then go into the file and you can edit all the extra crap out that adds nothing. You will end up with a much shorter total length, and you can let it print in the background without having to reset for every page. You'll still have to add paper a time or two.

Bill.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Thunderchild

Thanks Bill,

I was afraid of that. []

Well I'm off to kill a few more trees.

BTW, my nemisis in the form of the other VMAR Arrow Tiger met with a horrible end - high speed mid-air.

Not pretty. I won't stop chasing that extra MPH or two out of my Saito though. Have to take a trip to my LHS to pick up the 11 inch props you recommended.

10K RPM here I come!!!
Old 03-23-2006, 09:34 PM
spec36

i run mostly apc props on all my stuff and on that v2 i have a 14x4w man it rocks the top flite will hit the trash can soon . i dont run wood props at all . sure there some good ones but the apc i have had good luck with.. thanks for the welcome aboard
Old 03-23-2006, 09:44 PM
blw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About the .72 backplates...I've had a bad time with mine. My bolts were always backing out. I had them very tight last week and Jim put the engine on his test stand at the field. That's when we tached APC 12x6 and 13x6 props and the 13x6 had 100 more RPM. It ran fine, no problems. Took it home and found the bolts had backed out loose again. I put washers under 3 of the bolts. The one under the carb mount wouldn't fit and I didn't grind it down. So, I put epoxy in the threads and tightened the bolts. I also used RTV around the manifold washer at the head. I've had good luck with epoxy in threads in the past on blind nuts and muffler bolts, so this may work. The engine flew fine today and had more power than I remember with the 12x6 prop. Didn't touch the needle valves; just flew the plane.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Brother Gum, I think you stole my drill, my engine and my cutting mat, what a bummer.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:21 PM
William Robison

Dave:

But you do admit the sanding block, the Xacto knife, and the dial caliper are his?

Haw.

Bill.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:26 PM
powerlines

Yea. Really. I miss my .82 I wish I could have it back along with my Edge 540.. I could not live without my Dewalt tools. 18V on all.
Hammer drill, Skill saw, Reciprocating saw. Angle grinder, finish nailer (the Best) ya'll would be proud of me. I put the skill saw on some little wood table and made it where I could have a mini table saw cordless for hobbies . LOL I will have to post a pic of that soon...ANYWAYS... I wonder how much power ceramic bearings will give or take from the factory bearings??? And I have a 120. There are 3 models on RCbearings.. Which do I need.. Picture on page 89 on here... I am thinking the FA? It's not that old and I know it's not the 120S

LATER
Old 03-23-2006, 10:45 PM
William Robison

PL:

Your engine should have the 16003 rear bearing, but there is a possibility it has the 6903 there. If you pop the back plate, the 16003 is 35 mm outside, the 6903 is only 30 mm. The front bearing in a 6000 either case.

I have three FA-120 engines, two with s "K" lug code, the other with an "E" stamped on it. The E version and one of the K engines has the 16003 rear, but the other K has the 6903. With the same letter the engine is supposed to be the same. You explain it, I can't except to say I don't think the lug codes really mean anything.

Bill.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:11 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

alright, i managed to hammer all those parts back into my 100 and guess what?

IT RUNS!!!!!!!!

and sweet it is too

now if i could just grow a shade tree here life would be perfect
Old 03-23-2006, 11:18 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good show Gary. If you're finished with the overhaul, can I get my vise grips and pipe wrench back. I'd bring you down a pine tree, but we only have one.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:31 PM
William Robison

Gary:

Had I but known you have no shde tree I would never have allowed you to join the International Brotherhood of Jacklegs. Now I have to put you on a suspended status until your cottonwood or acacia tree gets up to a ten foot minimum height. Sorry. Send your membership card back, please.

Haw.

Glad your repair came out well. Many people are scared at the thought of tearing even a two stroke apart, in actuality as you now know, even the four stroke engines aren't hard to rip apart and hammer back together. Haw again.

Bill.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:39 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i must admit that i got the cam off one tooth but didnt take long to figure ot when it started spittin at me[X(] and running backwards, 15 min later i had it right

thanks guys,

ps Bill, i lied, i do have a tree at about 30 ft but my wife wont let me park my plane under it[&:]
Old 03-23-2006, 11:43 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You explain it, I can't except to say I don't think the lug codes really mean anything.
The lug codes correspond to the batch of recycled beer cans that the aluminum slugs came from.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:49 PM
William Robison

Gary:

...i do have a tree at about 30 ft but my wife wont let me park my plane under it.
In that case you may keep your membership card, but work on your wife's unreasonable attitude please. After all, she lets you park the car there for an oil change.

Haw.

Bill.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:31 AM
loughbd
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I'm always awaiting approval because I got off subject. Sheesh. Talk about double standards
Old 03-24-2006, 07:06 AM
powerlines

30MM is what was in there. I have the ceramics ordered. I may wait till the ceramics get here befor I put it back togeather. How much of a performance boost would there be?? If any. Just last longer??

LATER
I have 2 big Pine trees over my shop for the shade trees.. LOL
Old 03-24-2006, 07:21 AM
Jerry C
My Feedback: (6)

Are the ceramic bearings from Boca Bearings any better than the ones from RC Bearings? There is a big price difference.
Jerry
Old 03-24-2006, 09:31 AM
moonmonster

Good Morning from over the big lake! (Atlantic)

I have just bought two Saito 82's, the desicion based mainly on the enthuisiasm on this thread, which I must say is excellent. Mr Robison's knowlege and expertise is outstanding.

Just one thing, discussing velocity stacks is banned! After the recomendations on here I have tried all over the UK to get two with no joy. The people who should stock them have either never heard of one being fitted or don't recommend one being fitted. Postage from the USA is $27.00 a bit too much for such a small inexpensive item

I know this has been mentioned before but it would seem a sensible move by admin to give this thread it's own forum even although this is not manufacturer sponsored it could be in that forum. It is full of such usefull information to us Saito owners but most of it is lost in such vast content and it saves the same question being asked time and time again.
We should lobby admin somehow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.