Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Propeller spins up and then dies out immediately

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Propeller spins up and then dies out immediately

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 09:32 AM
bradfordly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Propeller spins up and then dies out immediately

First post, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I've had a powered glider for a few years, and it recently started having an issue where the propeller will only power up for a moment when I hit the throttle on the controller. It then slows to a stop. I can repeat this but never sustain thrust. The same issue occurs with a spare battery. I suspected the problem was either the motor or the ESC. I replaced the motor but the problem still happened. Then I replaced the ESC, but ran into an issue where the motor would not spin up at all with the new ESC. I've read that a new ESC needs to be programmed by using max throttle until a beep sounds. However I never hear a beep sound with the new ESC, although I can still move the other control surfaces of the glider. Any ideas why the new ESC is not initializing? Or is there some other issue that causes the motor to only burst? I would really appreciate any help, fixing RC planes is a new endeavor for me. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2021, 06:57 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The manual for your new ESC should tell you how to calibrate it. What your heard is correct- a new ESC must be calibrated to the end points for your transmitter.
Are you sure both of your batteries are good and the right voltage for the model? A battery that is worn out will not hold voltage under load, so it can make the low voltage cutoff kick in just like you describe.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:15 AM
bradfordly

Hey, thanks for the reply. The spare battery is a brand new battery that is the same voltage as the original that came with the model. So it doesn't seem like a battery issue, but it definitely does sound like a low voltage cutoff. Is there anything else that could cause that, besides a bad ESC too?

I'm using a PKZ1814 ESC, and the manual says this:

STARTING YOUR POWER SYSTEM1. Power ON your transmitter and ensure the position of the throttle is in the Idle (low) position.2. Connect the battery to the ESC. You will hear 1 low, long tone to indicate startup, then the respective number of medium-length mid- tones to indicate the cell count or a musical tone for the 74% cutoff, followed by 3 rising tones to indicate the ESC is armed.
I don't hear any tones when I plug in the new ESC, I just hear the control surfaces move a little bit. Any idea why I'm not hearing the tones?
Old 01-06-2021, 10:10 AM
jester_s1

Your throttle trim could be set too high. With most ESC's, they won't arm unless the throttle is all the way down for safety reasons.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:11 AM
bradfordly

Just tried again, making sure that the throttle trim was as low as it can go. Still no luck, no beeps at all when plugging in the battery.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:23 AM
jester_s1

In that case, I'd call the manufacturer or vendor if they have support. You may have gotten a defective ESC.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:45 AM
bradfordly

Ok will do, thanks for the advice!
Old 01-12-2021, 09:21 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try reversing the throttle servo on the transmitter. If it is looking for low throttle and sees high throttle it will not initiate.

Scott
Old 01-14-2021, 08:42 AM
bradfordly

I did try that as well with no luck unfortunately.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:36 AM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

What transmitter are you useing. If it has a monitor check the throttle output position and check for any hold setting.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:07 AM
bradfordly

Its a Spektrum DX4e which I don't think has a monitor or hold settings
Old 01-15-2021, 11:20 AM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bradfordly
Its a Spektrum DX4e which I don't think has a monitor or hold settings
OK your transmitter wouldn't have a monitor. One thing you can do is connect a servo to the throttle channel to verify that the throttle channel is working.