Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Big A-6 Intruder kit - mfg help please

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Big A-6 Intruder kit - mfg help please

Old 09-13-2020, 06:18 PM
Flite-Metal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DerJet is 1/6th. I came close to ordering a set of those to reverse to 1/5.5. Still may do so if the three here don't have a better solution.
I have simple cam path rotation example and one using all-thread with ball links. This is a try and try again ordeal...

The all-thread and ball links are totally adjustable and preferred.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:55 AM
Flite-Metal

We ended up using an air retract as everyone said "no" to electric being able to do the heavy lift of a 14" strut with a 5" tire. So we are
fabricating (aka altering) an existing heavy duty 90 degree rotating gear and adding printed scale details and drag link to down struts.

This is a simple but time consuming necessity to assure legs that are robust enough to withstand being "dropped in" on a runway. Five
(5") smooth hub wheels have air brakes with electronic controller. I did not want to use an offshore source...buy American is our credo!

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 11-14-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:06 PM
Flite-Metal

Default 3 Piece MAC6's...

First pulls from the three piece mold:

There are many changes in the new fuselage mold beyond being in three pieces for ease of transport. A properly shaped and removable nose is retained with magnets.
There is now a bottom rear hatch providing access to the stab bearing cage and new tail-hook mechanism.

Rudder and moving rear portion of fuselage are molded into fuselage layup providing perfect vertical fin alignment with greater strength than original epoxied on foam fin and rudder. Removable rudder is cut from fuselage with leading edge and fin king post providing ease of removal to attach stabs and maintenance of stab bearing cage.

There are individual fin caps for each of the four versions of A6.

Removable flying stabs with integral servos provide additional maintenance access and ease of transport.

Intakes are now scale with proper boundary layer fence. The original intakes (shown below) were simple protrusions from the fuselage sides.

Feedback welcomed.....

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 12-06-2020 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:34 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flite-Metal View Post
We ended up using an air retract as everyone said "no" to electric being able to do the heavy lift of a 14" strut with a 5" tire. So we are
fabricating (aka altering) an existing heavy duty 90 degree rotating gear and adding printed scale details and drag link to down struts.

This is a simple but time consuming necessity to assure legs that are robust enough to withstand being "dropped in" on a runway. Five
(5") smooth hub wheels have air brakes with electronic controller. I did not want to use an offshore source...buy American is our credo!
The new Electron EV50 NG gear have a torque rating of 200 kg.cm (173 lb.in). That's enough torque to lift a 12 lb wheel at the end of a 14" strut...

Nice work so far, BTW...

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 12-06-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:34 AM
Flite-Metal

Bob,

Thanks for the compliment. As for using a tiller-post to rotate the steering head Electron EV50, it really has nothing to do with the linear torque "within" the servo. As an "initial" rotating gear solution I decided an offset tiller control arm would be compromised by side loads.

While this may be a rotation solution, at the "maybe price point" we are not willing to experiment on this solution when a "serviceable and repairable heavy duty off the shelf" solution with 1000's of cycles is available. I do prefer an electric solution...perhaps after say the first 50 MAC6's ROG...
Image below is of a Chinese manufactured electric retract altered for rotation using a tiller post for motion control.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 12-06-2020 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:49 AM
Flite-Metal

Default A6 Legs

Continuing my focus on the A6 landing gear...I need assistance confirming the "at rest" length of the main and nose gear struts. Doing this requires (1) an A6... and (2) a simple tape rule.

The nose strut as measured from the bottom of the fuselage to the axle.

.................................................. .....................

The top of the main gear strut is recessed within the retract bay. I do not need that measured. On the "side" of the lower fuselage there is a curve aka arc forward of the main gear. The front gear bay door "forward inboard corner" is squared to match the forward retract door shape when it is closed. This location is shown on this pic with an "A" and an arrow pointing to the intersect of the "arc' and the corner of the forward gear door.

The measurement I need is the "vertical" distance between the A arrow and B arrow (location of the axle) measured in inches. Not measured diagonally, I need the vertical distance from the two points. This will provide known point on my fuselage with which to establish the length of the gear struts.

.................................................. .......

Can I buy someone's lunch for measuring this?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.