Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Big RC Grumman A 6 Intruder

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Big RC Grumman A 6 Intruder

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 10:33 AM
Flite-Metal

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Continuing my focus on the A6 landing gear...I need assistance confirming the "at rest" length of the main and nose gear struts. Doing this requires (1) an A6... and (2) a simple tape rule.

The nose strut as measured from the bottom of the fuselage to the axle.

.................................................. .....................

The top of the main gear strut is recessed within the retract bay. I do not need that measured. On the "side" of the lower fuselage there is a curve aka arc forward of the main gear. The front gear bay door "forward inboard corner" is squared to match the forward retract door shape when it is closed. This location is shown on this pic with an "A" and an arrow pointing to the intersect of the "arc' and the corner of the forward gear door.

The measurement I need is the "vertical" distance between the A arrow and B arrow (location of the axle) measured in inches. Not measured diagonally, I need the vertical distance from the two points. This will provide me a known point on my fuselage with which to establish the length of the gear struts.

.................................................. .......

Can I buy someone's lunch for measuring this?
Old 01-15-2021, 12:59 PM
Halcyon66

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

If you know the diameter of the tires you can work back from that to get very close.

I tried to enlarge this image to get the wheel specs off the rubber, yet not able to see it.

Regards,
Old 01-15-2021, 01:07 PM
Flite-Metal

Yes, however I chose to use real world measurement to go with pix I have. The USN Aviation Museum has reopened recently.
I have a friend who is a docent at the Oakland museum. He offered to measure both nose and the points of reference for mains.

Thanks,
Old 02-19-2021, 03:50 AM
Flite-Metal

Any recommendation for where along the 46" duct the pair of JetFan 110Pro would be best placed?

Old 07-04-2022, 06:16 PM
Flite-Metal

Default MAC6's Update

The passing of three family members took a great deal of wind out of our sails...but we are back on track to a 2022 release date.

A quick update...
Reverse engineering the movie A6 took much longer than anticipated due to original movie A6 design issues. Creating new molds for a multiple piece fuselage has improved transportability as well as enabled a weight reduction to less than 25% of the movie A6 fuselages. Using infusion of two Airex densities provided an opportunity to create a working rudder, tailhook, and rear access bay while reducing the flex of the rudderless original movie A6's.

The Matrix gear created for two movie A6's was not flown. It was created for static images if the USN aircraft carrier static shots were problematic. All flying A6 models in "The Flight Of The Intruder" film were either lofted by hand in Washington state or pickup truck in the SoCal desert...no ROG. With our huge reduction in weight and increased rigidity we were permitted to design functional flaps (absent on movie A6's) and electric retracts with printed scale strut features. The printed cockpit components await assembly after the flying stab cradle is completed this week.

Will post new pics as latest components are assembled.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 07-04-2022 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:42 PM
Halcyon66

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Forgot about this the mains are 36 x 11 and the front is dual 20 x 5.5.

Regards,
Old 07-05-2022, 05:33 AM
Flite-Metal

Default Tire Size & Availability

Originally Posted by Halcyon66
Forgot about this the mains are 36 x 11 and the front is dual 20 x 5.5. Regards,
I exchanged the mains diameter to 4.5" from the original 5.0" I ordered to assure proper clearance in the fuselage shoulder and reduce the fulcrum lift requirement. The front are 3.5" each. Hopefully there will be an end to the tire shortage soon. There is a single source of rubber tires for multiple brands. All were effected by a fire in the manufacturing facility...last year.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:48 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

Given the tire sizes from Halcyon, if your model is scaled at 1/5.5, that gives your tire sizes as -
MLG - 6.5" dia X 2", and
NLG - 3.6" dia X 1".

If you're using 4.5" dia tires instead of 6.5" tires for the mains, won't that be pretty noticeable?
Old 07-07-2022, 07:56 PM
Flite-Metal

Originally Posted by Ron S
Given the tire sizes from Halcyon, if your model is scaled at 1/5.5, that gives your tire sizes as - MLG - 6.5" dia X 2", and NLG - 3.6" dia X 1". If you're using 4.5" dia tires instead of 6.5" tires for the mains, won't that be pretty noticeable?

The movie model fuselage, like many quote un-quote scale models will not support precision scale wheels and tire sizes. This is not a museum precision scale model. I decided until the prototype is flown the mains are 4.5". After initial flight with no wheel/tire issue I will go back to my original 5" diameter tires...roughly a 1/2" difference in static height from 6".

Considering "The Flight Of The Intruder" flying A6's did not have retracts, nor wheels, nor tires our MAC6's are a huge step toward a scale Grumman A6 Intruder. Of course, as is the case with everything, anyone is welcome to use whatever tire size they feel appropriate. We will still be as appreciative of that customer's purchase as we will be for customers buying our original packaged Grumman A6 Intruder.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 07-07-2022 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2022, 10:59 AM
Flite-Metal

Continuing to work at the small end of the "drumstick", USN A6 nickname. Cutting test files for flying stab cradle. Going to reduce the cradle height by an additional 1"~1.5".